- Save 10% each on Qualifying items offered by mirmedia_movies_and_music when you purchase 1 or more. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Top Customer Reviews
* Audio commentary by Winter and Stern
* A conversation with co-writer Tim Burns
* Deleted scenes
* Hijinx in Freekland, a collection of behind-the-scenes footage
* FREAKED art gallery
* Theatrical trailer
* DVD-ROM original screenplay
The second disc will include:
* FREAKED: The Reehersel Version, a full-length cast rehearsal of the film, including Keanu Reeves sans Dog Boy makeup, with scenes and dialogue that never made it into the final film
* There Are No Weirdos Here, early script readings of selected scenes, featuring actors Winter, Megan Ward, Michael Stoyanov, Derek McGrath, Lee Arenberg and John Hawkes
* It's the Troll, terrifying footage of young actor Alex Zuckerman developing the character of Stuey Gluck
* Under Construkshen, behind-the-scenes video showing the creation of the Freek Land set
* Behold...The Beast Boy, footage of Winter's makeup transformation into a hideous mutant freek
* Two short films by Winter and Stern, SQUEAL OF DEATH and THE NYU SIGHT AND SOUND PROJECT
The set will also come with a "freekish" booklet containing liner notes and photos.
This is going to be AWESOME!!! I've been waiting years for this to be released on DVD. Pre-order NOW!
If you haven't heard the plot, here goes... Ricky Coogin (Alex Winter), a former child star of the TV series "Baker's Dozen" and the film "Ghost Dude", has been tapped to be a spokesman for EES (Everything Except Shoes) to promote an experimental fertilizer called Zygrot-24, which has been banned in the U.S. and Europe. Coogin and his sexist buddy Ernie (Michael Stoyanov, "Blossom") travel to Santa Flan (named for the patron saint of creamy desserts), where they meet up with feminist protester Julie (the very lovely Megan Ward, "Encino Man"). The three stumble across Freek World, run by Elijah C. Skuggs (played to perfection by Randy Quaid). Skuggs, as it turns out, is a mad scientist who has been using Zygrot-24 to create freaks for his sideshow (played by Keanu Reeves, Mr. T and Bob Goldthwait, to name a few).
I don't want to give too much away. This is one of those films that you'll either love or hate. I will say that there are constant sight gags, so many that required viewing is almost required to catch them all.
It has always been my wish that this film would one day be discovered. Here's hoping that Anchor Bay promotes the hell out of it.
I'm a bit surprised that more cult fans aren't aware of this film. It's zany as all hell, has some notable actors and boasts some impressive creature FX.
Alex Winter is Ricky Coogan, a former child star and all around snotty jerk. He agrees to be a spokesman in South America for a fertilizer called Zygrot-24. When Coogan and his buddy land in South America and pick up a feisty activist, they find themselves at a freak emporium run by Elijah Skuggs(Randy Quaid in full whacko mode). Skuggs uses the Zygrot-24 fertilizer to make the freaks he displays. Coogan and his buddies become the latest victims. Coogan's now the "Beast Boy", and becomes the star attraction. He also becomes a kind of leader for the group that consists of The Bearded Lady(Mr.T), A living sock puppet(Bobcat Goldthwait), a literal Cow-Boy, an uncredited Keanu Reeves as the dog boy, and many more. Coogan is pursued by a loud big eared boy who is his number one fan, who becomes instrumental in bringing down Skuggs and the evil corporate schmucks who want to change the human race with Zygrot-24. The head of the corporation is played by the always reliable William Sadler. The film is told through a series of flashbacks that Coogan is telling as a guest on a talk show hosted by Brooke Shields.
Needless to say, this movie is wacky, very wacky. Very cartoonish and off the wall. Some of the zany humor and kinetic camera techniques are quite prevalent now in movies and tv shows, but this was most likely ahead of it's time in 1993. Too bad nobody watched it.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I been looking and searching for this movie since I was a kid I've searched and finally found this bada** movie thanks amazonPublished 23 months ago by sade
I love this film. It is totally original. Sadly my first dvd copy (1 disc uk version - boo!) Was leant to someone, and I haven't seen hide nor hair of it since. Read morePublished on February 14, 2013 by John Hickey
This movie starred Alex Winters, of Bill & Ted fame, after his success with that movie. There is too much to delve into here, but this movie is full of amazing guest stars, twisted... Read morePublished on September 24, 2012 by J. L. Garrell
I purchased this movie and it was in Italian. I saw where the movie was being shipped from and read all the info more than once and it didn't say what language it was in so I... Read morePublished on September 9, 2012 by kris
This is a really weird movie and you have to be a little weird to watch it. Its a little romantic which becomes silly. The wrong people become one person. Read morePublished on May 12, 2012 by juana c
I had watched this one as a kid and totally forgotten about it. Very 90s, very awesome and very good price.Published on February 29, 2012 by mgvet
This movie is so over the top and often plain silly that those that can't enjoy such efforts should avoid it. However I liked this movie , it's funny and so damn wierd! Read morePublished on November 26, 2011 by Michael Dobey
i don't care what type of movies you're into or what kind of tastes you have. i love movies that aren't always "gotten by the masses" but, i'm sorry. Read morePublished on August 21, 2011 by Empacted Colon
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Horror
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials