5.0 out of 5 stars THIS DVD ROCKS!
Published on February 22, 2004 by B.B. Wilcox

1.0 out of 5 stars Is This Reprint Worth the Extra Money?
Published on November 18, 2008 by Auggie Worldwise

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS DVD ROCKS!, February 22, 2004
B.B. Wilcox (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series (DVD)
I never thought they'd be able to pull this off, but at long last, Freaks and Geeks is available on DVD. The show aired briefly during the 1999-2000 season before NBC abandoned it to run an extra night of Dateline (shudder). TV truly has become a vast wasteland in the time since. A friend of mine worked on the show and let me check out the discs. I was worried they would screw up the DVD and do something stupid like take out all the songs to save money (over 100 were used). It's all there and it is truly awesome.
29 different commentary tracks (keep in mind there were only 18 episodes) borders on the obsessive, but if you're a geek, this is bliss. They got all the key cast members, including Linda Cardellini and James Franco, as well as writers, directors, television executives and even the parents of John Daley, Sarah Hagan and Martin Starr and some fans. There are some great bloopers and behind the scenes clips where people are completely out of character. And they also included the original audition tapes for the major characters, which are pretty interesting. If you go on the Freaks and Geeks website you can watch a couple clips including Samm Levine's famous impersonation of William Shatner that landed him a part on the show.
In addition to this DVD, they also have a collector's edition that comes with a yearbook and 2 more discs of extras. But that's a limited edition they stop selling in March 2004 and you can only get it through their website. Haven't seen that, but if it's anything like this set, it will rock.
They obviously put in a lot of work on the DVDs. I've seen other TV collections and they look like they've been thrown together. Here, every menu on every disc has a different image from a scene. And every time you change menus (on EVERY disc) a different dialogue clip plays, followed by some of Mike Andrews' original compositions for the show. Some of them go on for a couple minutes and most of these are songs I've never heard before. I'm a hardcore fan and I was prepared to rip them if they screwed with the legacy of the show....but this DVD blew me away. Freaks and Geeks will become the standard by which all other TV show DVDs will be judged.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's about time!, February 3, 2004
Dario M. Zagar "drziggles" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series (DVD)
Yes! F&G is finally coming out on DVD!
For those of you who weren't lucky enough to watch F&G during its all-too-brief run, you'll soon have your chance to experience a true television gem on DVD. Freaks & Geeks ran sporadically on NBC during the 1999-2000 series, and then in reruns on the Fox (now ABC?) Family Channel. In short, it's the story of two siblings: Lindsay & Sam Weir, and their trials and tribulations as high school students in Michigan circa 1980. Lindsay is a junior and a former overachieving whiz-kid who undergoes a crisis of self after the death of her grandmother, and tries to find herself as a new member of a clique of underachieving stoners. Her brother Sam is a sensitive, nerdy guy trying to make his way through freshman year with a tight band of dorks and misfits.
As I write this, I realize that a brief summary doesn't begin to do justice to this multi-layered show. It's hysterically funny, poignant, often painful, and never tries to have the neatly tied-up generic sitcom ending. The secondary characters are as well realized as Sam & Lindsay, and really make the show special (including SCTV's Joe Flaherty as the ambivalent Mr. Weir, Samm Levine as Neil, and Martin Starr as Bill Haverchuck). There are so many moments on the show that I personally identified with, and I can't imagine anyone who was subjected to the tortures of high school life that wouldn't be able to at times. (Though it helps if you lived through the early 80's or can connect with references to the Jerk, Dallas, Dungeons & Dragons, and/or Neil Peart of Rush...). I could keep on going about the show, but I'll let you find out the rest for yourself. Now, to the DVD...
The standard edition of the DVD is described in some detail here, and includes the 6 episodes that never aired on NBC, as well as many extras. However, especially if you are a fan of F&G, you owe it to yourself to check out the limited Deluxe Edition that's available directly from the creators of the show at [...] Here's the description from the site:
"In this Deluxe Edition, we put it all into an expanded 80-page foil-stamped and embossed yearbook presented in true Freaks and Geeks style loaded with photos and memorabilia from the show. The yearbook is filled with personalized notes, tons of photos, even photos of many of you, script pages, a quiz, a letter from Paul [Feig, creator of the show], a Q&A with me [Judd Apatow, exec. producer], details about every show, a letter from Mr. Rosso, poetry, rock and roll lyrics, reprints of articles about the show, and lots more.
· three live "table reads" of some of our best episodes
· a one-hour Q&A with Judd, Paul & the entire cast at the Museum of TV & Radio in LA shot a few days before we got cancelled
· tons more auditions, deleted scenes, promos and outtakes
· some of our favorite scenes in the raw footage from a single-camera perspective
· guidance counselor Jeff Rosso & Feedback live in concert
· the full original electronic press kit, filled with interviews with the cast and crew
· a script that was never shot
· a special music and photo gallery
· surprise Easter eggs
· even more behind the scenes footage edited by Jason Segal and Martin Starr
· and other things that are weird and hard to describe"
It runs for the steep price of $120, but the way I figure it is, this is the only season of F&G you're going to get, so you may as well do it right! However, you won't go wrong with either version, so do yourself a favor and check it out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Is This Reprint Worth the Extra Money?, November 18, 2008
Auggie Worldwise (Los Angeles, California) - See all my reviews
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Freaks and Geeks. But this yearbook reprint is severely overpriced. It was originally marketed as a limited edition when it was released in 2004 until it sold out in January 2007. You could somewhat justify the high price of $130 on that version because it was SUPPOSED TO BE A COLLECTORS ITEM with a limited printing of only 25,000. Now Shout Factory has decided to start making it again, except they aren't calling it a limited edition. What doesn't make sense is that they are charging the same price for this reprint as they did for the limited edition collectible.

Skip the yearbook and buy the standard edition. At $45 or so, it's a much better deal. It has loads of extras that will satisfy the most diehard fans. Keep in mind that discs 1-6 are EXACTLY THE SAME on both editions. There is a heckuva lot on these 6 discs: All 18 episodes, 29 full length commentaries (some episodes have more than 1), 69 deleted scenes (also with commentaries), 2 sets of bloopers, a behind the scenes video, audition tapes for Cardellini, Segel, Daley, Starr, Levine, Rogen, Phillips, (Sorry, Franco's audition doesn't appear on either set). The standard edition is loaded with extras.

The yearbook edition gives you everything on the standard edition, but only 2 more discs for all that additional money. And they are less desirable extras, like auditions of supporting cast members and poorly produced videos of 3 table readings where the sound is barely audible. They used all the best extras on the standard edition. I'll admit the 80 page yearbook is cool to look at, but 22 of the pages contain an episode guide which also appears in the booklet that comes with the standard edition. Another 12 pages in the yearbook are reprints of articles that ran in the LA Times and LA Weekly, and that you can still find on the internet. For the hefty price, you'd expect them to put a lot more original stuff into the yearbook.

You'd think that if you were paying 3 times the price, you'd get 3 times as much stuff.... but that's definitely NOT the case. Considering the contents of this yearbook edition, $69-$79 would be a fair price. $130 is way over the top.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freaks and Geeks DISC 1 REVIEW. Stunning!!!, February 21, 2004
This review is from: Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series (DVD)
Freaks and Geeks Disc 1 Review.
I have just finished watching the promotional DVD of Disc 1.
As a big fan of the show when it aired I was thrilled when I heard it was finally coming to DVD, but very apprehensive about what the DVD's themselves would look like, especially after being let down so often by other companies TV shows on DVD.
I would have settled for decent video and audio transfers and a few extras, but this disc is something else.
It's INCREDIBLE!!!
The video quality is amazing.
The bit rate on every episode averages 7 Mbps!
I have never seen anything close to that for a TV show before.
I read somewhere that the people who author the "Lord Of The Rings" DVD's also did these, and it really shows.
The original stereo mix and a 5.1 mix sound fantastic and the extras couldn't be better.
There are ...
Multiple deleted scenes (with or without commentary by Judd Apatow, John Daley and Martin Starr) for each episode.
5 Commentaries (2 each for the "Pilot" and "Beers and Weirs" and one on "Tricks and Treats")
2 Auditions (Linda Cardellini & Jason Segel)
A "Behind the Scenes" piece
Original Promotional Ad's used by NBC
And this is only Disc 1.
However, the best part IMO, are the menus. There are 16 menus on this disc and each one completely different. Each has its own piece of music from the show and most have dialog from the show itself.
If there are any DVD producers reading, this release will hopefully set the standard for what a TV show on DVD should be. If they give out awards for DVD's expect to see this win a few. It's absolutely amazing.
For those of you that have never seen the show read some of the other comments that testify to it brilliance. It's the best blind buy you'll ever make.
I'm going to see if I can still get my order in for the Limited Edition set!

5.0 out of 5 stars For the inner Mathlete in all of us, June 25, 2004
Andrew West Griffin "Andrew Griffin" (Oklahoma City, OK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series (DVD)
Where to begin? Well, I guess it's safe to say that "Freaks and Geeks" far surpassed any comedy-laced drama I've seen in many moons.
I had originally heard about the show during its original run on NBC during the 1999-2000 TV season. I even managed to catch a few episodes. However, I didn't watch it often enough to get to know the characters very well. Still, as a bit of a geek myself, I could relate to what Sam Weir (John Francis Daley), Bill Haverchuck (Martin Starr) and Neal Schweiber (Samm Levine) were going through, as awkward high school freshman. In fact, I can recall some similar painful experiences while attending Robinson Junior High and East High in Wichita, Kansas circa 1987-90.
So, when I heard online that this slice of Americana was being cancelled, I chalked it up to another example of bonedheaded decisionmaking by the shortsighted suits who wouldn't know a good TV show if it bit 'em square on the tuckus.
Look what befell quirky and interesting shows like "Twin Peaks" and more recently, "Wonderfalls." I could go on but I think most people reading this review know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.
So, when Apatow's new show, "Undeclared," came on a season or so later, I began taping the episodes. And during the short reruns of "Freaks and Geeks" on Fox Family, I was happily reintroduced to the Weir clan and all the complex and interesting characters inhabiting early 1980's-era Chippewa, Michigan.
There was the beautiful and smart Lindsay Weir (Linda Cardellini), the dry-witted, Nuge-loving Ken Miller (Seth Rogen), the stern and outta touch Harold Weir (Joe Flaherty), the sage hippie school guidance counselor (Dave "Gruber" Allen), and one of my all-time favorites -- Harris Trinsky, played by the amazing Canadian actor Stephen Lea Sheppard. Casting director Allison Jones was incredibly astute in choosing Sheppard for that role. In fact, I knew guys (and similar D&D dungeon masters) just like Harris when I was growing up. All these characters, with their very human thoughts, desires and shortcomings, were reminiscent of the characters on "Northern Exposure," albeit a little more down to earth. (And as much as I loved it on NX, FnG didn't have any odd dream sequences featuring rabbis in rowboats or shape-shifting bear people).
And after Fox Family stopped airing the show, I was afraid I'd never see it again.
But I was (thankfully) wrong!
And now ... the amazing creators of "Freaks and Geeks," Judd Apatow and Paul Feig have lovingly put together a most excellent DVD collection featuring all 18 episodes of "Freaks and Geeks." Not only that, but deleted scenes, commentary, and all sorts of other stuff that makes fans like me jump for joy.
Watching these episodes -- each disc features three episodes -- over the course of the past two weeks, has put me in a nostalgic frame of mind. Watching it, I felt like I had gone back to the 1980s. The pop culture references are dead on and the music selections -- Styx, the Grateful Dead, XTC, Journey, etc. -- are perfect. And the episodes -- my faves are "Tricks and Treats," "Discos and Dragons" and "Beers and Weirs" -- couldn't be more fun and heartfelt. And the special guest stars -- Ben Stiller, Joel Hodgson, Jason Schwartzman, etc., etc. -- well, they were totally appropriate for us TV and movie nerds.
And while I enjoyed the lovelorn, pot-smokin', drummer wannabe Nick Andopolis (Jason Segel) and the rebel without a cause Daniel Desario (James Franco), it was the underrated Martin Starr that always stole the show for me.
Seeing Martin Starr getting drunk while watching "Dallas" is an absolute scream! Starr deserves far more attention as an actor, as does Levine, whose comic timing is dead-on. Look at Starr's face when dressed as Jamie Summers (The Bionic Woman) for Halloween, a spaced-out hippie gives him and the gang some homemade carob candy. This, in the midst of the 'razorblade-in-the-candy' hysteria of this era. His expression is priceless!
Then there is the episode where Ken finds out the truth about his girlfriend Amy (the always terrific Jessica Campbell). Another example of television gold!
As for the actors, well, five years later I'm still stunned that Apatow and Feig were able to pull all these amazing talents together. Shame on those NBC knuckleheads for deep-sixing the show just as it was finding its audience. I guess for now I'll just have to get my "Freak" on by sitting down with a bowl of Count Chocula and a bottle of pop and spend some more time watching my "Freaks and Geeks" DVDs while anxiously awaiting that oft-promised "Freaks and Geeks" soundtrack. Please guys, don't forget to include Jean Weir (Becky Ann Baker) singing "The Monster Mash" or Nick (Segel) and Millie (Sarah Hagan) singing "Jesus is Just All Right". That'd be all right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly flawless in execution, Freaks and Geeks is one of the best shows I've ever seen, January 20, 2008
This review is from: Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series (DVD)
When the credits started to roll at the end of the last episode, Discos and Dragons, I was profoundly sad. I was so because: 1) I knew this show only lasted for one season, so there was no more to see; and 2) it is another sad example of how great - no, prodigious - television is denied airtime because of low ratings. This is the kind of show that should cause TV snobs who are proud to advertise to the world that they don't even own a TV to go buy one just to watch this.

Television doesn't get much better than this. Although billed as a comedy, and while the show steadily delivers staggering punch lines, this is as much drama as comedy. There are *real* characters in this show, with real feelings, and quantifiable reactions to stimuli that resound with verity. While many shows that chronicle a time past suffer from an abundance of anachronisms, this does not. As a child of the 80s - my freshman year in high school began in the fall of 1980 - I can vouch for the shows authentic grounding.

Freaks and Geeks won an Emmy, Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series, and not only is that spot-on and deserved, it also serves as greater frustration for this show's single season stint. Even in the best shows, there's often one character that doesn't quite fit their role. Eric Mabius, IMHO, is a good example. He has essentially two roles on Ugly Betty: 1) the playboy who, for complex and mostly paternal reasons, resembles the prodigal son and a frighteningly irresponsible executive; and 2) the reforming playboy who wants to succeed, is riddled with self-doubt - again, mostly for paternal reasons, and responds positively to Betty's unflagging encouragement. In the second role, he's outstanding. In the first, he's not believable.

There are no miscasts in this show.

From the hippy guidance counselor trying to relate to a new breed of students that emerged almost as anti-hippies, to fringe characters like the discotheque DJ, every character is fully realized and acts in congruence with their personality. I didn't notice one single character in the entire season who ever said or did anything that disagreed with that character's core personality. That doesn't mean that nobody grew. They did, and that is the genius of this show. Every main character, and most fringe characters, experienced growth.

***Spoiler...read the next two paragraphs at your own risk! <grin>***
The best example (again, IMHO) was that of Sam, played by John Francis Daley. He began the school year hopelessly in love with Cindy Sanders. Not Cindy - Cindy Sanders. As he was a "geek", and she was a cheerleader, the likelihood of them coming together seemed possible only if Cindy Sanders stepped out of character. However, they did get together, and Cindy did not step out of character. It seemed that the show's writers, producers, etc., laid the groundwork for their potential relationship early on, so when it finally happened, it felt normal. Granted, Cindy expressed interest in Sam a bit too quickly after breaking up with her handsome jock boyfriend Todd, but her reasons for wanting to get together with Sam, which were that she wanted to go out with a *nice* guy (and Sam is nothing if not a nice guy) were convincing.

But a funny thing happened. Sam discovered that he was bored when they hung out together. They went to malls, and spent the rest of the time making out. Neal couldn't understand what could be wrong with that, but *we* know. If you have nothing in common with a person, it doesn't matter how attracted you are to them. Ennui will set in and fester like a suppurating ulcer, and the relationship itself, if untended, will become septic. So Sam makes the unbelievably brave decision to break up with Cindy Sanders. I might not have believed that his character was capable of such bravery - for what geek, especially in high school, would ever break up with a cheerleader? - but again, as the series progressed, we learned that Sam was not just a nice guy, he was a guy who knew what was right and what was wrong, and someone who was very comfortable in his own skin. He knew who he was, and he knew that Cindy would not make him happy.
***End of Spoiler***

It's a shame that this show was cancelled, but that is often the fate of great TV. Low ratings, low advertising dollars, no money for the network, so, so long and good-bye.

I would have loved to watch Sam and his friends grow up, mostly because I had absolute faith in the show's producers and writers to continue presenting us with great television. It would have offered an interesting counterpoint to 90210, where, IMHO, we saw plots change, characters given different "assignments", but no real growth.

One thing the show didn't do was show the extremes. There are "freaks", and then are "FREAKS". Same goes for geeks. That was a wise decision. The freaks were kinder and gentler, and the geeks weren't quite as extreme as one would expect. This allowed us to relate to them better than we would have if those factions were represented by the extremes. (That should go without saying.)

What is great, though, is that we're seeing some of the brilliance of Judd Apatow's and Paul Feig's work on the silver screen. Knocked Up and Superbad had all of the sensibility of Freaks and Geeks.

Here's to hoping that they have long careers ahead of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars True, honest television, May 24, 2004
gp (Palo Alto, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series (DVD)
I don't know if you'll like this show. I loved it. Everyone who has seen more than 1 episode seems to love it. If you have 80's nostalgia or can identify with the "geeks" mentioned, you will too. If not? You'll probably still like this show, but I won't guarantee it. One thing to note: although this show is billed as a comedy/drama, I would put it in solidly in the "drama" camp. Most episodes are simply too poignant to be considered comedies. Freaks and Geeks has some hilarious moments, but they are rarely of the farcical sitcom kind. The comedy that can be found in the show is the kind that comes out of real life.
I caught a snippet of one episode when it aired on NBC. The little piece that I saw (involving a bully nearly accompanying his typical victims to a science fiction convention) was enough to intrigue me. I tried to find the show again, but I was never able to. This, it turns out, was due to some awful schedule shifting that was imposed on Freaks and Geeks due to low ratings and the World Series. The brief clip, along with other rave reviews I read on a few sites convinced me to buy this DVD. With 18 hourlong episodes, I figured I was getting my money's worth. I was, and more. The first show had me hooked, and subsequent episodes rarely let me down. Out of 18 episodes, only 2 or 3 didn't leave me with the feeling that I had just seen great television. While I was about 10 years younger than the main characters, I found the 1980's references amusing. And while the backdrop of the early 80's figures prominently in Freaks and Geeks, some facets of the show are applicable to any generation. For example, one thing which the show did a fantastic job of portraying is the very tight friendships that result from being in an outcast group. The "geek" interactions with each other rang true, in my experience. While the "freak" group was more exaggerated -- they were far too pretty to be freaks, in my opinion -- their interactions were still believable. The point is, these groups are visible at any high school today. The clothes may have changed, but the behaviors are unchanged, which makes it impossible not to identify with these misfit kids.
The acting was spectacular, given the youth of the cast. Samm Levine, playing Neal Schweiber, was an astounding casting choice. Ditto for Stephen Lea Sheppard, who playes Harris. The writing was also much better than I expected from a high school drama. Characters developed -- but slowly and logically. The show paced itself well. Although there was plenty of action in each episode, the writers were in no hurry to deliver spectacular plotlines. The show became especially poignant towards the end. Reading through the writers notes, it turns out that they were very aware of their impending cancellation, and they wanted to make each of the last few episodes really matter. The last 2 episodes of Freaks and Geeks were among my favorite television moments _ever_. I watched the final episode with a knot in my stomach. I still have a slight one, a day later. I can't believe the ignorance of NBC executives who cancelled this show. Frankly, I think that if it was given one more season -- enough time for the freaks crew to graduate high school -- it could have sailed off into the sunset as one of the best shows ever televised with no argument. Although it wasn't given that chance, the 18 episodes are good enough to at least stir a debate.
The actual DVDs, as other reviewers have pointed out, are everything you'd expect. A neat "liner notes" package with an episode guide + brief notes is included. Each disc contains 3 episodes with & without full commentary, as well as deleted scenes with and without commentary. The commentary includes cast, crew, NBC executives and even fans! Be sure to check out the official website (freaksandgeeks.com) for other tidbits.
While each episode is reasonably self-contained, in my opinion this series needs to be judged as one long story. And like most stories -- even the great ones -- it has a moment or two where it drags. But on the whole, this is some of the finest writing TV has seen in a long time. And judging by the shows that survived where Freaks and Geeks failed, it will be a long time before we see a show of this quality again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Show, Amazing set... but one thing lacking, April 9, 2004
This review is from: Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series (DVD)
I love this show, which I missed on the network the first time around. The disc set is incredible - much more than even the biggest fan would want. The only thing I wish the set had was english-language captioning (or at least closed-captioning). Some of us with bad hearing rely on those to make sure we're not missing any of the great dialogue. Otherwise, 5-stars and a super find for anyone unfamiliar with the series

5.0 out of 5 stars Have a Haverchuck Day!, January 5, 2005
This review is from: Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series (DVD)
As we inevitably get older, our adult responsibilities (jobs, bills, marrige, kids) become our main priorities in life. When this happens we seem to have a inner need to put on our nostalgic 'rose colored glasses' and say something like "these are the best years of your life" to the nearest teenager around. Most likely they are thinking "if that's true, then shoot me now"! The reason for this is that we seem to magically forget, that unless you were the Varsity football quaterback or the Head Cheerleader, being a teenager in high school pretty much su**ed! Thank goodness for the single 1999 season of a TV show called "Freaks and Geeks" (created by Paul Feig & Judd Apatrow) came out to hilariously remind us of the real truths of high school and to realistically protray the lives of teenagers. The series takes place in the early 1980s and revolves around the teenage lives of brother & sister, Sam and Lindsay Weir. Sam (John Francis) is just entering that black hole we now call high school. He's small and puny, loves "Star Wars", "Dugeons & Dragons", Steve Martin and hanging with his even 'geekier' friends Neal (Sam Levine) and Bill (Martin Starr). Just from that short description you know, that we are watching the hellish trials & tribulations of three guys, who are pretty much at the bottom of the high school 'food chain'. On the other side of the coin is Sam's older sister, Lindsay. Lindsay (Linda Cardellini) is super smart, a 'staight A' student (a former mathlete!!) and was an all around good kid, who stayed out of trouble. But with the recent death of her grandmother, she's now questioning and testing her life. That means wearing an oversized army jacket and hanging out with her new 'Freak' friends (we use to called them 'burnouts') that includes the misunderstood bad boy, Daniel (James Franco), funny man, Ken (Seth Rogan) Nick (Jason Segal), who lives to be the next drummer in the rock group 'Rush' and the original 'Mean Girl', Kim (Busy Phillips). You knew these guys in high school. They were the ones endlessly cutting class, blasting heavy metal in the parking lot and keeping the 'Boy's Bathroom' supplied with a huge concentration of cigerette smoke. We follow these two clicks of teenagers through the high school year as they (sometimes humorusly) confront the social stuff, that is so important in the lives of teenagers. I think the reason this show is so good is the pure excellence of the writing. This show honestly lays out the 'ins and outs' of high school life. It really shows the pecking order that exists. The dialogue is hilarious yet stays realistic. You can honestly believe its stuff, that would come out of the mouth of a teenager. This is not a rehashing of "Revenge of the Nerds". The characters remain real without being boring. The other reason this is such a great show is the all around excellence of the ensemble cast. They look and sound like real high school kids, not an over beautified cast of some prime time soap opera! This show was only (criminally) a single season with anemic ratings, but now is developing a cult-like following, that has made it more popular than when it was on the air (shades of 'Star Trek'!!). This has lead to the DVD box set release of "Freaks and Geeks - The Complete Series". If ever there is an example of care being put into releasing a TV series to DVD, than this is it. Kudos go out to Executive Producers Paul Feig & Jud Apatow along with the company, 'Shout Factory' for doing such a great job! The picture and sound are wonderful! The original soundtrack featuring name groups (including bands such as Rush, Styx, Grateful Dead, The Who ETC.) remains intact without editing. This DVD set is also loaded with tons of extras. All twenty-nine episodes include commentary tracks from various writers, producers and members of the cast. Also, each episode includes rare deleted scenes and outtakes (which also include commentaries). This simply is "Freaks & Geeks" heaven! If you already are a fan of "Freaks & Geeks" or if you would like to give a chance to a fantastically, funny show that wasn't given a fair chance from the TV networks, than check out this DVD box! Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Brutal, July 1, 2004
This review is from: Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series (DVD)
I saw this show when it first ran on NBC and loved it. Due to NBC's constantly rescheduling the show, I missed a few episodes but I'm glad that it has all been captured on DVD. This is not your typical high school show because it is brutally honest about high school and family life and those relationships we have growing up. I like that the parents aren't typecast to be the usual dimwitted parents you usually see on TV (okay, Mr. Weir is cartoonish the first few episdoes--and pretty funny--but you do see a human side to him as the show goes on). With Mr. Schweiber, you see parents are human and have thier faults too. I'm glad the music was kept intact on these DVDs and the soundtrack alone is worth the buy. Music works great in depicting certain moods or events in the show. It kind of reminds me of a Cameron Crowe movie. This show could've taken the easy road with some episodes but the fact that it's creative in giving you the unexpected is what made it one of best shows on TV at the time. For example, in "Beers & Weirs," when the kids decide to throw a party when the parents are away, the episode isn't about them getting caught but instead it takes a much better twist. In short, don't hesitate--buy this DVD!

Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series
Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series by Linda Cardellini (DVD - 2004)
$69.97 $47.08