5.0 out of 5 stars An all-time great
Published on May 22, 2001 by Edward Aycock

3.0 out of 5 stars The Switched Bodys
In the book called "Freaky Friday" there were a few funny things that occured. One funny thing was when Annabelle went to a French restaurant that she knew of and got a nice soup for lunch called "tripe a la mode de Caen" and I am still not sure how to pronounce it! Another funny thing was when Annabelle's mother went to the conference and she was already forty-five...
Published on June 10, 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars An all-time great, May 22, 2001
Edward Aycock (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freaky Friday (Paperback)
Contrary to a previous review, I do not consider this a book for babies. I first read this book 20 years ago when I was in the 4th grade, and I enjoyed it. The concept of a daughter waking up in her mother's body is intriguing, and funny. I just reread this book last week, and I was on the floor laughing. Rodgers has written a book that works well with all ages, and I found it even funnier this time around. From the crush on Boris Harris, to the funniest parent-teacher conference ever, this book just moves on and on, and never ceases to be amusing. Even more interesting is the little mystery throughout the book of who is inhabiting Annabel's body that day. As a 4th grader, I loved the premise, as an adult, I love the wordplay, and the whole mixed up situation that allows Annabel to see thw world through an adults eyes. My only real gripe with the book at this point has nothing to do with Rodger;s writing, but rather the cover in paperback. We see Annabel looking in the mirror at a rather frumpish looking mother, which, if you read the book, is not at all how the mother really looks (a better idea is to picture Barbara Harris who plays Mom in the movie, and does seem to resemble the physical characteristics as Rodgers describes them.) If I were not such an advocate of book collecting and preservation, I'd advise you to rip off the cover, but my best advice to you here is to just ignore it. Otherwise, have a great time with this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Not the Movie, October 30, 2003
Erika Sorocco (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freaky Friday (Paperback)
Annabel thinks that her Mother has the best life ever. She doesn't have to do homework, clean her room, or anything that a teenage girl has to do. So one night, Annabel wishes that she were an adult, namely her Mother, that way she can do whatever she wants, whenever she wants, and no one can tell her different. She never knew that her wish would actually come true. Now she and her Mother have switched places, and Annabel sees how hard it actually is to be an adult, and wishes that she could be a teenager again. The only problem, is that she doesn't know how to switch back.
While this is a fantastic book, everyone must remember that it was published in 1972, so yes, it is a bit outdated. But, quite fun and interesting, nonetheless. FREAKY FRIDAY is a welcome breath of fresh air, in a world filled with young adult books, which contain bad language, and grown-up situations. A must-have for everyone's collection, whether you are a fan of the movie, or not.
Erika Sorocco

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful story of mother and daughter switching places, August 26, 2002
This review is from: Freaky Friday (Paperback)
Annabel Andrews, at age 13, does not like her mother. She doesn't particularly like her little brother Ben, her annoying upstairs neighbor Boris, or herself, either, but she KNOWS she doesn't like her mother. Imagine her shock one morning when she wakes up in her mother's body.
Through an endless day, she must keep house (with uncooperative appliances), do the shopping for two ungrateful kids, ride herd on younger brother Ben, and do all this without ruining her family, her apartment, and without attracting too much attention--especially when she has to attend the sort of parent-teacher conference that she would much rather not hear what is said about her. But at the end of the day, she has a new appreciation for herself, her mother, her brother--and even that annoying kid upstairs!
An absolute delight. None of the endless film adaptations that have used this concept have ever been able to capture the magic of this original.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Review For Freaky Friday, March 19, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Freaky Friday (Paperback)
I really enjoyed Freaky Friday because it was very comical and it made ordinary things that happen in everyday life seem interesting. At first glance, it looked quite boring, but while reading the summary, I decided that it would definetly give me a good laugh.In the story, thirteen year old Annabel Andrews has a fight with her mother one night, regarding her freedom to take care of herself. With Annabelle claiming that her mother's life is easier, her mother switches their bodies. Annabelle lives a day in the life of her mother and realizes that her mother really has a lot on her mind. During the day, Annabelle goes to a parent-teacher conference regarding herself and is told that she is probably the smartest child any of the teachers have ever encountered, but that she will never amount to anything if she doesn't start applying herself. Also, she grows fonder of her little brother she calls "Ape Face", and sees all the things that her mother risks just to make her happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Freaky Friday, March 26, 2002
"monicap6" (Cerritos,CA USA) - See all my reviews
Freaky Friday is a story about a girl, Annabel that got into a fight with her mom one day about how parents didn't have to do anything, but the kids had to go to school, do their homework, do their chores, etc. The next day, she wakes up to find that she switched bodies with her mother. They have a day or two at this and the whole story is about the way their days went. Annabel's day as her mother went pretty rough. She had to take care of Ape Face, her annoying little brother, and herself, or her mom in her body. She finds out that her mom's life is really hard so both her and her mom's life were actually both similarly hard.
This is one of my better books. I liked the story and the whole idea of switching bodies from the mom to the daughter. I also liked how the book was really kind of meant for girls. This book has some really funny parts in it too. Annabel's life is also pretty cool. She used to have braces but her mom went to the dentist and took it off for her and now the guy she had a crush on likes her back.(Or at least thinks she's pretty.)
My favorite part of this book was the end part of it. I really liked it because it's the part where Annabel makes up some scenarios of what she wished had happened or how she didn't want it to happen. This part was the funniest part. I liked how she had a very creative mind and made up all the scenarios. This part is the best part of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars why don't people write like this anymore?, August 17, 2003
Laetia Kress (Kunming, Yunnan, China) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freaky Friday (Paperback)
Freaky Friday has been one of my favorite books since I discovered it in my grandmother's apartment when I was 8. I used to take it out and read it every time we visited until finally, she presented me with it as a gift. Annabel's cynical and yet human perspective on being stuck in her mother's body has been a support system for me throughout my own teenage years not to mention being consistently entertaining. The Disney movie with Jodie Foster is most likely the best movie adaptation as Mary Rodgers wrote the screenplay. It seems to capture her intent better than either of these newfangled ones wherein those who have written them appear not ever to have read the book. Still, if you enjoy any of those, I would highly recommend reading this book. It may be slightly dated, but the philosophy behind it is timeless.
For those who have already read it, more are A Billion For Boris and Summer Switch both of which are equally good though if you want more Annabel perspective A Billion For Boris is best while those of you who want to know what goes on in Ape Face's head had better read Summer Switch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freaky Friday, January 30, 2003
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Freaky Friday (Paperback)
I am a student at Waldron Mercy Academy (AMD). Annabel is a teenager who is doing awful in school! She just got in a fight with her mother, which is quite bad. Her mom is really smart that she came up with an excellent idea to teach Annabel her lesson. The plan was for Annabel to switch lives with her mother. Annabel has to take care of her annoying little brother, Ben who she calls "Ape Face". He is a big problem. Another bad thing happened to Annabel. She doesn't even know how to work the washer. She got in a fight with the cleaning lady, so fired her. Annabel has to go to a meeting, and can't find Ape Face! She doesn't even know how to cook. Her life is a terrible disaster! Does Annabel switch back to herself? Does she continue to be her mother? Read the rest of Freaky Friday to find out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, November 9, 2000
This review is from: Freaky Friday (Paperback)
This book was very funny. The woman who wrote it also wrote the script for the Disney movie version of it. They aren't exactly the same though. Still, I think each one is great in its own way. It's a very humurous book and good to have in any collection! Get it now!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Freaky Friday: a book for young and old!, September 28, 2001
T. Johnson (PA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freaky Friday (Paperback)
This book has to be one of the wittiest stories written for the YA{Young Adult reader}crowd ever. I first read it when I was in 6th grade and could`nt put it down. My interest was sparked by the Disney film, but I quickly found out that the novel is infinitely superior! I read it again when I was in 10th grade. Not only did I laugh all over again, I could now identify with heroine Annabel`s adolescent angst a lot better. She`s what gives the book its edge: although she has a barbed& sardonic sense of humor, she also is riddled with feelings of low self-esteem and is trying to find out who she really is, instead of what people expect her to be. She really does grow and change as a character, too: although initially angry with her mother for magically changing them around, she comes to realize that it was done in order to give her a learning experience. This is truly a female coming-of-age tale with a female protagonist. It gives young women someone that they can relate to. Much has been made of what great adolescent writers Judy Blume and Norma Klein are, of how their work features strong young girl characters. I love these authors too, but they`ve got nothing on Mary Rodgers! Not many adults can take you back to those feelings of teen inadequacy and also feelings of joy and triumph the way Rodgers can.
Another great feature of the story is the way that the mechanics of the body switch between Annabel and her mom are left ambiguous until the story`s conclusion. Even then, Rodgers leaves it mysterious. She creates a very ordinary everyday world in which the weird happenings appear all the more other-worldly! Her style gets the reader turning pages in an effort to find out what scrapes Annabel will get into next. Other realistically drawn characters in the story include neat freak Ape Face,Annabel`s younger brother; her sometimes annoying but ultimately loving and fun Mom; and appealing boy next door Boris. In conclusion, I also must give 5 stars to the sequel, A Billion for Boris. If only Rodgers had just kept grinding these out and made a whole series! I`m glad to see that today`s girls are still reading Friday, judging from some of the other reviews. Hollywood, how about a hip new remake?

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Freaky and Funny! Freaky Friday, March 20, 2002
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Freaky Friday (Paperback)
Freaky Friday is about a 13 year old girl who turns into her mother. Its a really good book. I liked it because its funny. Its one of my favorite books and I think you should read it too!

Freaky Friday
Freaky Friday by Mary Rodgers (Paperback - June 17, 2003)
$6.99 $6.29