Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 18, 2000
The following reviews were written by four 7-year-olds in aclassroom book club I led. We studied reviews from Amazon.com beforethey wrote theirs to see how there can be many different opinions on one title:
Rachel says: This book is about a boy named Andrew Marcus and how he wants freckles. I think it is funny because when he gets sick and his mother sends him to bed, she gives him two spoonfuls of stuff that tasted like peppermint and he dreams that a monster makes him drink two quarts of freckle juice three times a day. I would recommend this book to a friend because it is funny.
David says: This book is about a boy named Andrew Marcus and how he want freckles. I like this book better than The One In The Middle Is The Green Kangaroo, also by Judy Blume, because it was more fun to read and I like the story better. I recommend a friend read this book.
Ashleigh says: This book is about Andrew wanting freckles like Nicky Lane. I think this book is very funny because I like drawing freckles on my face. I want everyone to have this book.
Annie says: Andrew Marcus wanted freckles like Nicky Lane. He put freckles on with a magic marker but his teacher, Miss Kelly, gave him soap and told him he was good without freckles. I don't encourage yo to buy this book with your money because it is not a good story. If you want to see what I mean, check it out at the library.
on April 8, 1999
This book is interesting because Nicky has freckles and Andrew wants them. He wants them so he doesn't have to take a bath or wash his neck. Andrew asks Sharon for the secret recipe for freckle juice. Read this story to find out what happens. I am in second grade, and I felt that it was interesting and funny. I would read this book again.
on April 29, 2004
Freckle Juice by Judy Blume is a fantastic book for everybody to read. It is about a boy named Andrew who really wants freckles like Nick. So Susan says she will give Andrew a recipe for getting freckles, which costs 50 cents. The recipe has a lot of nasty stuff like vinegar, onion juice, ketchup, and lemon juice etc. It is also disgusting at the same time. At the end of the book Andrew learns his lesson, which is don't believe everything will work. I hope you read this book.
on December 4, 2013
The following review was written by second grade students in 2M after reading this text in book clubs.

The book we are reading is Freckle Juice by Judy Blume. It is a book about a boy who really wants freckles. First, Sharon gives Andrew Freckle Juice. Andrew wants freckles because Nicky has freckles. I think that Sharon does not like Andrew because she kind of tricked him. Next, Andrew got sick and felt terrible. Read this book to see if he gets freckles. I would not recommend this book because it is too short and did not make sense. I would give this book and two out of 10 because I did not really understand Andrew and I did not like the ending.
I enjoy books for the young ones that give them a good lesson on life and give them a chuckle or laugh while doing it. Be happy with the way you look, be satisfied with yourself and hidden in that message is one that well shows there are no free lunches in life. the 1971 edition I have has some very well done black and white drawings which are quite charming themselves. This is a great book to read to a class as it creates much discussion and allows the children to relate their own wishes and discuss them. This is one of those books that I hope does not go out of print as it has a timeless quality about it. Highly recommend.
HALL OF FAMEon December 15, 2001
Judy Blume's "Freckle Juice" is a short tale for young readers, with illustrations by Sonia O. Lisker. Blume tells the story of Andrew Marcus, a 2nd grade student who wishes he had freckles. Things get freaky when a classmate promises to sell him a "secret recipe for freckle juice."
Blume taps effectively into the culture of children's folk magic and urban legend with this tale. I was a bit turned off, however, by Blume's portrayal of Andrew's shrewish, hysterical, overbearing mother. After finishing the book, I thought, "When this kid grows up, he's going to have some serious issues with women!" I also didn't like the fact that the "villain" of the story essentially lies, swindles, and violates classroom discipline and suffers no consequences. Still, "Freckle Juice" is a fun story with a memorable "gross-out" factor.
on October 8, 2013
This is a very easy to read as well as a read aloud to younger children. My oldest grandson is a fourth grader and he is reading it to his younger brothers. They are listening with interest and are excited about what is going to happen next. He reads to them one or two short chapters a night. Either gender can enjoy this story and relate to some of the feelings of the main character.
on January 3, 2015
I read this book as a child and I loved it! I bought it for my children and read it to them. I was thinking it would take a few days to get through but they loved it so much we finished it in one afternoon. My daughter who recently started doing book reports at school re-read it and did her book report on it. Definitely a timeless classic that all kids should read! I didn't realize how much Judy Blume understood kids until I had kids of my own and read them this book! A great story which really pulls kids in with the humor!
on August 20, 2004
I remember reading this when I was a kid and when I saw it on my seven year old's summer reading list, I had to buy it for him.

We have been reading the book together and we have BOTH been giggling over it. My son teases me because I have a lot of freckles -- he thought I drank some freckle juice! LOL!

Judy Blume's books are just as good as I remember them.
on January 23, 2016
We bought this as a nighttime read aloud for our 7 and 8-year-olds. Each person in the family took a turn reading a few pages. We are homeschoolers so I also added some extra school activities that I found around the internet. It was a hit! The book went quickly but was a great read for my kiddos.