Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on April 29, 2014
I just don't get this book. I bought it because I saw Julianne Moore interviewed (she's charming and lovely) and I thought a book about bullying and how to handle it would perhaps be beneficial for my grandchildren. What I got from the book is what you have to do to survive a bully (who's crime is he throws really hurtful, hard balls - nothing verbal) is to turn into a monster somehow (yeah, a monster) and then he will be friends with you and you can play on the playground together when it isn't raining. I don't get it. I cannot see how this tale would benefit any child who suffers a bully in their life. I just don't get this book.
on June 10, 2013
I have followed Julian Moore since her stint with a soap opera, was excited when she wrote this book and knew my 6 year old granddaughter would enjoy it as she is an avid reader. I read it before giving it to her for her birhtday.
on June 15, 2014
I am 11 and I expected a more bigger book than this, like with chapters, but I read it anyway and I enjoyed it! It is a great book for a 1st, 2nd or 3rd grader. It teaches you how to face your fears in a fun way, I would recommend this book to any child that loves reading and is having trouble facing her fears in school.
on December 28, 2013
I love Julianne Moore and this book was as good as she is on the screen. Such a talented young woman! I had seen her on some of the daytime shows talking about her books. This book as great about addressing bullying in our schools. I always buy my grandkids a book or two for Christmas and this one was a great choice. My 9 year old grand-daughter loved it!!
on September 9, 2014
I picked Freckleface Strawberry and the Dodgeball Bully up at the half off sale day at Goodwill. (You don't have time to read books at a store, especially on that day.) I thought the drawings were cute and that it would go well with a bullying unit or if the subject should arise in my future classroom. Today I sat down and read the books. The drawings continued to be cute and the writing wasn't terrible. I liked that the book made going to school and going to before school programs sound like fun and not like something a child should dread. Freckleface Strawberry has a few problems that kids can identify with. Some kids are scared and hate dodgeball, something I believe they shouldn't be forced into playing. She also is afraid of a kid because the kid is a "bully" and throws too hard. (I'm not entirely sure if that qualifies him as a bully or an over zealous boy. We all know those boys who throw too hard and they don't do it to be mean.)

However, Freckleface is forced to confront her fears, and by confront I mean cower on the ground. She finds out that it doesn't hurt that much, which is slightly contradictory to the fact that the kids who do play are scared of him when they get out and this is repeated every day they play. From that we'd take it that he always throws hard, unless he took pity on poor Freckleface Strawberry.

Overall, the drawings are cute and it might be a book children enjoy. While I say let kids enjoy it, I also say that it doesn't really have a teachable plot or lesson hidden within. It's slightly disappointing that she didn't have a real chance to address the bully and to stand up for herself.
on March 24, 2012
I am a fan of Le Uyen Pham and coupled with Julianne Moore I already knew it was destined to be a winner. My 4 year old daughter was casually introduced to Le Uyen Pham's book Big Sister Little Sister. It came at just the right time when she became a big sister for the 1st time. It it always a go to book and now I have another go to book to add to the collection. This book pokes fun at the game of dodgeball and having a bully that turns out to be not such a bad bully after all. It had me even laughing with the names of the characters that these ladies came up with. It brought me back to my school days of dodgeball. A cute little story that your child might love for life.
on August 21, 2009
Julianne Moore's FRECKLEFACE STRAWBERRY AND THE DODGEBALL BULLY receives LeUyen Pham's fine drawings as it tells of a girl who loves going to Early Bird at her school - with its time for play fun. But when it rains there's indoor play and dodgeball - which is scary and NOT fun at all - not when it's in the hands of a bully. How can she outwit a bully?
on May 26, 2009
I was so excited about being asked to participate in the promotional campaign for Julianne Moore's new book - Freckleface Strawberry and the Dodgeball Bully. One of the obvious reasons is because I've heard great things about Julianne Moore.

Another reason is that I've had a great friend since we were about 7 or 8 who has red hair and I remember that he hated it while we were growing up. Now he has a daughter with beautiful red hair.

The other reason is because I've had people pick on me for years for an unusual name (real name, not pen name), I've always been tall and have been 6'1 since I was 13 and I had braces for years. So, I can understand the tough time Freckleface has.

I think its great that Julianne has used her childhood experiences in a way that will help children deal with the things that make them different. Hopefully this story can also help other children understand that they should not pick on people just because they are different. We're all different from one another - we're so much better off if we appreciate the differences, but it seems that is hard for some people.

One rainy morning - Freckleface goes to Early Bird at her school. She loves Early Bird - but Windy Pants Patrick is also there and he's a bully. He picks on all the children - what will Freckleface Strawberry do?

Come along with Freckleface and see what she does in the face of a school bully.

I highly recommend this book for parents and their children. It give parents or other important adults a great opportunity to help children talk about how to deal with bullies and people who pick on them. Its also a great chance to teach children tolerance and caring about others.

LeUyen Pham is back to illustrate this second book in the Freckleface Strawberry series.
on November 21, 2011
I love this book. From the 3 this is not my sons favorite but I think it's sensational. I love the fact that she shows her monster. Sometimes it's difficult for children to express their anger and this book demonstrates it in a nice way where at least I was able to have a nice discussion with my son about his feelings. Totally love it.
on June 15, 2009
I ordered this brand new release when I ordered Freckleface Strawberry which my granddaughter had heard at Kindergarten. This is equally as good as the original. The story line sends a message in a way younger children can understand. The illustrations are excellent. Julianne Moore and LeUyen Phan make a great team. This was a big hit with a 6yr. old girl and 5 yr. old boy!