Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$18.59 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 23, 2013
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
This is a review of the U.S. version of the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert on Blu-ray, released 10/22/13.
I've watched the concert live in 1992, and owned the NTSC laserdisc version as well as the 2002 DVD.
They improved the video quality of the concert and cleaned it up a lot. The picture may look a bit pixelated
since you are up-scaling from video to blu-ray, however, it always looked way saturated (especially the reds)
and now it just looks cleaner. Presented in full screen 4:3 does justice to it, since the 2002 DVD was cropped
to make it fill the screen therefore giving us less.
It will always be my favorite concert, and bring me to a time when the whole world will sit down and watch
something together. Well, at least all of Europe. The sound quality is good, not a day and night improvement
over the other versions I mentioned, even though it DTS-HD. There's only so much you can do with a video source
meant for TV from 20 years ago.
As far as content? It's still not the full version with Spinal Tap, all of Extreme's set, Def Leppard's set
and Robert Plant butchering "Innuendo" but, we have do everything else. Nothing beats George Michael's "Somebody to Love."
If you're a fan of Queen, or of any of the major acts participating, and you want to see a lot of rock legends on one stage, Buy it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
ORIGINAL REVIEW FROM SUMMER 2013:

The American release VHS and laser disc releases had most (but not all) of the concert. The 2-disc DVD release in 2002 had LESS of the concert than the VHS and LaserDisc had (the DVD did not include the Extreme medley, the GNR set, or the Metallica set, for example) BUT it included bonus backstage and rehearsal footage that was not available on the Laserdisc or VHS as well as the Zucchero performance.

This new Blu-ray, if we are to believe what we're being told, fills in the holes. We get all the footage from the Laserdisc and VHS that didn't make it onto the DVD, and all the other DVD content that was never released on Laserdisc or VHS. The best of both worlds. Plus, it includes the Bob Geldof appearance that was not on the laserdisc or the VHS.

I'm told there was some additional concert footage that was released on Japanese versions of the tape and/or laserdisc that still isn't included here. But we weren't gonna get that stuff anyway.

Yes, the concert was shot in Standard Definition. It was more than 20 years ago, for crying out loud. But you can count on the Blu-ray image to be upscaled and still look a bit sharper and cleaner, even if only slightly, than any previous U.S. releases.

So what's to complain about? Nothing, really. There is more footage in this single Blu-ray release than was available on any previous single release -- in any format -- in the U.S. Everything in one place instead of spread out over different formats.

Kwitcherbitchin.

**********

UPDATE 10/25/13.

Received my Blu-ray on 10/23/13. Played the documentary feature first and was very, very pleased with how the concert footage looked in that documentary. Sharp, clear, bright. It was great.

Then I started playing the main feature. It looked terrible! Much worse than the laserdisc, VHS, and DVD copies I have watched numerous times in the past. I only made it as far as Extreme's set before I turned it off in frustration.

Where the picture quality was vibrant in the other releases, it looks dull and flat on the Blu-ray. As a result the show looks "less intimate", if that makes any sense. It doesn't have that "live" feel. Night and day difference, like the difference between digital film and videotape.

Anyone else encounter this issue?

Maybe the other parts of the concert look better, but I just couldn't make it that far into the show this time.

Disappointing transfer. Very disappointing. I feel I've been made a fool of for buying this.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 10, 2013
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
Unlike so many reviewers I was thrilled to have this re-released as I do not own any of the previous releases. I can't see some of the issues others have reported, maybe my eye is not as tuned to the subtle nuances of film? I could not see any of the stuttering or jerkiness that some reviewers have noted. The aerial shots were grainey, but the shots of the entertainers on stage were very nice and just as good as some current concert specials. I was also very pleased that they left it formatted 4:3 and did not stretch it, I don't like when they chop off part of the screen just to make fake wide screen. Was this as sharp as Queen at Montreal or Wembley? No, but as it was a TV special I was not expecting that quality. I think they did a good job of transferring it to the SD Blu-ray. It was nice to have everything on one disk. I can't speak to audio set up as I just use my TV speakers. It really is probably more like 4 1/2 stars as some of the clips from old music videos were somewhat grainey and they aren't that way on my video collections. Overall I am pleased with this disk and happy with my purchase. I do wish that there were not so many negative reviews based soley on the re-release aspect and not on the disk itself, If I were not the type to read the reviews I would have missed out on a very nice release.
VINE VOICEon September 5, 2013
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
I'm not shedding any tears that the U.S.A. release of the "Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert" Blu-Ray disc is in limbo. Word coming through from overseas territories(where the Blu-Ray has already been released) indicate that the surround sound audio is lossy, and that there has been no attempt to upgrade or remaster the picture quality when transferring this 625-line standard definition analogue video to Blu-Ray.
If you've already got one of the Laserdisc editions(particularly the Japanese or British Laserdisc releases) and you've transferred them to DVD-R, your homemade discs will suffice. I'm one of only a few hundred people in North America that has the equipment to play British Laserdiscs, and I long ago transferred this Laserdisc release to DVD-R, and those of you who have the Japanese Laserdisc release would be advised that your homemade DVD-R copies will suffice.
UPDATE: I cancelled my order for the endlessly postponed U.S.A. release, and I've ordered the UK Blu-Ray disc. I'll give you an update on its quality(or lack thereof) when it arrives. Eagle Rock Entertainment can't seem to get its act together. And I won't be surprised if Eagle Rock's upcoming Doors Blu-Ray disc also ends up being released only overseas.

LATEST UPDATE: I bought the UK Blu-Ray release from Amazon's British affiliate. The disc is indeed U.S.A. compatible(1080i all regions). The disc is 4:3 ratio(Non-widescreen) upconverted to 1080i. The surround audio is an upmix from the original stereo, and is presented in the "DTS-HD High Resolution" format(a lossy variant on the lossless DTS-HD Master Audio system). You might as well play the lossless 48Khz/16 bit lossless PCM soundtrack, and create your own simulated surround sound with your surround sound receiver or preamplifier.The musical contents are the same as on the original UK & Japan Laserdisc & VHS releases(still not the complete show), with the addition of 3 rehearsal performances and a one hour documentary. As for the picture quality of the concert, it is passable, though, for unknown reasons, the 3 rehearsal performances have much better resolution. In one respect, watching standard definition materials from DVD is better: in upconversion to high definition, the program's frame per second rate must be reduced to Blu-Ray's 24 frames per second(versus the 25 frames per second of Uk DVD or the 30 frames per second of U.S.A. DVD).
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 30, 2013
Format: Blu-ray
Like most of us, I have always had a great appreciation for all things Queen- Freddie Mercury ( a legend in his own time! ) I watched this concert broadcast live and subsequently bought the vhs tape of it shortly there after.The vhs tape included the entire show which was fantastic.I think Queen has always done a great job with their concert dvd's although it has usually taken them 2 or 3 releases to get it right. Queen missed the boat on this one in my opinion because the dvd omitted most of the beginning of the show which included sets by Metallica, Gun's n' Roses, Def leppard and a medley by Extreme that quite possibly stole the show before it really got started. Although the dvd version is quite memorable and nostalgic for the die hard Queen Fans that includes an insight into Freddie's ALONE TIME on stage preparation, I think that we all miss out from the omission of the vhs footage. Lke a lot of Queen fans, ( I saw them live 5 times ) I wish Queen would rectify this, but the dvd is still a must have for even the slightest Queen fan. Robert Plant is especially enchanting!
on January 12, 2014
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
Greatest concert ever. The Bob Geldof addition was a pleasant surprise; still don't know why Spinal Tap was left out- hence 4/5 stars. Still definitely worth every penny. QUEEN ROCKS!
on November 27, 2014
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
After reading all of the reviews, I decided that in order to get the best perspective on this concert (that I've never seen more than clips of), I had to get both the VHS and the DVD (non blue ray; I don't have a blue ray player). Both arrived yesterday, and I shredded the box open to watch the VHS first. Unfortunately, the video itself was covered in a white mold/mildew: I still had hopes that it would play; tried it on all 4 VCR's in my house but it shut each one down and ejected every time. I was really disappointed, since the CD I bought with this order, "Classic Queen", was also damaged: both are going back. But I STILL had the 3 DVD set, and THAT is what I wrote this review about.

Maybe because I'm old and new to Queen/ Freddie mania, I found this set to be unimaginably phenomenal: I literally couldn't stop watching! I was overcome with the palpable outpouring of love from not only the fans, but from everyone on that stage: Freddie Mercury was truly adored, even worshipped, by every single life he touched. At many points I found myself in tears: when Brian May sang about "Too Much Love Will Kill You"; when David Bowie knelt down and recited the Lord's Prayer; when George Michael sang, "Somebody to Love"; the montage sung by Extreme; Elton John with The Show Must Go On"; let's just say that it was all extremely emotionally overwhelming for me, in a good way. As I'm getting to know Freddie Mercury and Queen over the past year through many, many purchases of their music in various forms, this was the quintessential "must see" performance. THIS is the one that put everything into perspective for me: Freddie Mercury was a beloved, brilliant, one of a kind Superstar. "There Can Only Be One": I get that now.

So if there are missing pieces of this concert that could potentially enrich my experience, then tell me and I'll try purchasing a different VHS. Otherwise, ignorance must be bliss because for me, NOTHING could top this.

P.S.: I had to come back and add this: last night I watched the whole concert, discs 1 & 2; I just finished watching the documentary on disc 3. THIS is just the icing on this formidable cake! Wow, I can't stop crying, again, in a good but deeply moving way. Everyone should see this, long or shortened version, at least once in your life, whether you're an old Queen fan, new Queen fan, or not a fan at all: it WILL change your life and the way that you live it.
on July 16, 2013
Format: Blu-ray
Obviously, I am writing this well before the official release, but looking at the advertised track listing, I am already annoyed. The Freddie Mercury Tribute concert was an amazing musical moment for my generation, and a tribute to one of the most amazing frontmen ever. So, why is it that every release has failed to give us the ENTIRE show!!!!

When I first heard that this Blu-Ray release was coming out, I heard that the "full" opening act sets were going to be included. Well, we've got the full Metallica and GN'R sets... but we're only getting one song from Def Leppard (Animal and Let's Get Rocked are left out), Spinal Tap isn't being included at all, and it also looks like Extreme's "Love Of My Life/More Than Words" performance is being left out as well!

On top of that, Robert Plant doing "Innuendo" is also left out of the main set. I know Robert was upset he flubbed some lyrics, but so what? It was a great performance anyway.

So, we're one step closer to having the full show, but just like other big DVD releases of mega-concerts (Live Aid, anyone?), we'll still have to search YouTube to get everything.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 14, 2014
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
This video is disappointing, as the video looks like the VHS tape. Expected more from this Blu-ray. Had higher expectations.What a shame!
Format: Blu-ray
I'd hoped people, fans of Freddie and the music of Queen, would understand that this historic concert, shot on PAL video tape in 1992 would give people some perspective and allow reasonable expectations in regards to it's release on "SD Blu-ray." Sadly, this is not the case. The intent was to take advantage of lossless audio, and the inclusion of more footage than in previous iterations at a higher bit-rate; In regards to picture, as mentioned before, with the source material that was only intended for tv broadcast, much like many Queen-filmed shows, you cannot "transfer" video tape, as it has a finite lines of resolution, unlike 16, 35 and 65mm film. These are all formats that are already in the realm, technically-speaking, of HD-quality. Why do you think "Queen rocks Montreal" looks so 'effin amazing? It was shot entirely on 35mm Panavision lenses....like a damn movie! To the complainers, get a grip....a life, and do some damn research.