Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Free-Form Embroidery with Judith Baker Montano: Transforming Traditional Stitches into Fiber Art
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 23, 2012
I am a huge fan of Judith Baker Montano's, owning five of her books to date. I actually use her books, not just for inspiration, which is plentiful, but for instruction. In this book, Montano is branching off from strict embroidery or crazy quilting, though the works have elements of both, into fiber art pictures, landscapes and abstracts using embroidery, painting, dying and crazy quilting techniques. The results are phenomenal. Plus, it is a lovely book to look at with Montano's watercolor sketches of stitches, plants and landscapes.

First materials are reviewed including, thread, ribbon, fabric and tools along with a bit of color theory. There is a good stitch guide encompassing surface embroidery and some ribbon embroidery of some sixty stitches, including some ideas about how to combine stitches as well as showcasing stitches in different materials and how it affects the results.

Montano also covers the basics of constructing a fiber landscape using crazy quilting techniques. Montano also names the supplies she uses to get specific looks by brand and this is helpful as well. Montano also talks about thinking like a painter and constructing landscapes that have a discernible fore, middle and background, helpful for those of us with little experience in drawing. Montano goes into more depth in her single technique books and I would recommend getting one of Montano's a crazy quilt book for further techniques in construction of fiber landscapes, but this wonderful book does give the basics of construction.

Another wow from Montano, one of my favorite embroiderers and fiber artists. This book is worth the price of admission alone for the lovely artwork and inspiration. As with all of her books, the reader gets the feeling that the writer is a generous teacher and sharer of techniques. Recommended to quilters, embroiderer's and fiber artists who want to take the next step in fiber construction. A solid A.
on October 22, 2012
The illustrations in this book are amazing! Makes you look at plants and landscapes with a different eye. I've been a long time fan of Judith's books and work. I was definitely not disappointed with this one. THANK YOU!!!
on December 21, 2012
I thought her previous books were better and gave more ideas for using the embroidery. I own all the books that she has written and I would encourage beginners to buy those rather than this one.
on February 16, 2013
I have two of Judith Montano's previous books and was looking forward to this book and any new techniques. Some new ones included in this book are using net for overlays, burning edges of fabric to create a border for a textural change, using velvet to achieve dimension, and using familiar embroidery stitches (stem and chain being prevalent ones). She took the time to show a sequence of photos of her work as she moved from a photo to finished fabric piece. It was informative to see the process, especially how to enlarge easily using available market means.
on February 18, 2013
I chose this book because of the cover and I thought I could get a few ideas from it. The book provides a lot of detail on how each stitch is done and the type of material used. It has lots of tips and photographs. It also has how to stitch trees. It provided ideas that I never thought of. Its a wonderful book and I have so many projects lined up. I'm so glad I purchased it.
on November 23, 2012
I love Ms. Montano's embroidery and this is not my first book by her. Although there are a finite number of stitches a sewer can employ, somehow this artist makes me see new possibilities. And the stitches are well illustrated for easy application, with new uses and artistic ideas from which to draw.
on October 30, 2013
I first saw this book at a friends house in the hard cover, once I learned I could purchase it at the lower paperback price, I sent for it
immediately. Living on Social Security only allows paperbacks so it was greatly appreciated that I could obtain this GREAT book. I
have been doing needlework for over 70 years, I just loved the new ways to use the stitches I already knew and the new ones that
were in the book.
on November 10, 2012
Her books keep getting better and better. This is full of stitches for ribbons and threads. Lots of ideas for creating underwater, trees, grasses and plants.
on July 21, 2014
this book is visually beautiful but an instructional treasure. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. The examples are examples of a different vision of needlework..Works of needleart to be sure. I would recommend this book highly to anyone interested in taking their work to another level..it is extremely well done and easy to follow. truly one of the best books of this nature that I've seen so far.
on June 10, 2013
Since getting absorbed in multi-media fabric art, I've brought back embroidery into my life. This book offers so many fabulous ideas to incorporate. Mostly I use her technique on top of fabric I have dry felted. The examples in the book are clear and illustrations most helpful. Even a beginning embroiderer can understand. This is one of those "must have" books for any fiber artist or for the novice interested in getting involved with needle and thread.