4.0 out of 5 stars Works better than anything else I've tried
Published on July 7, 2008 by Allison Star

1.0 out of 5 stars Great until they reformulated it - totally different product
Published on June 9, 2007 by elsie

1.0 out of 5 stars Great until they reformulated it - totally different product, June 9, 2007
This review is from: Freederm HC - Eczema - Dermatitis - Skin Rash cream (Health and Beauty)
This cream worked wonders for me after I started using it in January 2007. I am a chronic eczema sufferer - have had it since I was a baby - and have never been able to live without super strength cortisone. Freederm's combination of the mild (1%) cortisone and anti-microbial (benzalkonium chloride) entirely cleared up all my milder eczema problem areas (face, arms, torso) and significantly improved my severe hand eczema. I was ecstatic. But when reordered, the product that came was completely different - no cortisone, no antimicrobial, totally different base. I admire Freederm's effort to make a nonmedicated cream. However, this new formulation not only doesn't work for me, it actually irritates my skin. I am baffled by Freederm's apparent decision not to offer both versions. And I also feel that it is not truthful for them to post all the glowing testimonials when the testimonials are for an entirely different product.

For fans of the discontinued medicated product, I found a great dermatologist at Stanford who recommends mixing cortisone (the lowest strength that works for you) with antibacterial cream (Bactroban - you need a prescription). Same theory and works as well as the old Freederm medicated cream.

1.0 out of 5 stars freederm burned my sons skin!, July 7, 2007
My son developed some mild excema a few months ago and I ordered this cream to try out since it has so many good reviews and seems to work for everyone! The instructions were to put the cream on 3 times a day. I had only done twice on that first day and my sons excema got this burn type reaction. The spots I tried the cream on (cause i only tried a couple of spots first in case it didn't work) were really red and inflamed and seemed to hurt him more. The other places where i didn't put the cream remained the same. I stopped using the freederm cream and the "burn" patches cleared up within four-five days.
Mabye the cream works for some people, but if you do try it out make sure test it out on some areas first before applying over your whole problem area. Especially if you are putting this on a child!

One more thing. When I tried to get authorization to return the product they kept telling me that it was an allergic reaction and kept trying to convince be to purchase another of their product. All I wanted was to return the product and get my full refund (which they guarantee within 30 days) Their customer service is very bad. They were rude and acted offended that I wanted to return their product. All in all I did not have a good experience with this company.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work for me at all, May 3, 2006
I used the entire jar and would put on before bed and I saw no difference. My eczema was still there! So far the only thing that has worked is prescription Elocon but I am going to keep trying products for a non steroidal cream.

This did nothing more than any other cheap hand lotion would do for me personally.

The product seems to have rave reviews from the other Amazon.com users so my eczema must be especially stubborn!

1.0 out of 5 stars not worth the money, January 2, 2007
I used the HC and the moisterizing cream as directed for my son's eczema. We have seen no improvement and it has actually become more painful to him since using the products. Hydrocortizone cream and Cetaphil cream at least did not make his condition worse, as the Freederm has. Don't waste your money! In addition, don't ask for a refund either. The company's website boasts of wanting satisfied customers, but was very rude and not helpful when I contacted them. When I told them that was going to give their product a bad review, they threatened me with an attorney!!! Worst customer service ever!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Left redness and lumps and bumps to sons skin, October 22, 2005
This product did not work for my son. He had a reaction to the cream - the advert states "no side effects". His body went red and had lumps and bumps after we applied the cream.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is the most horrible cream I have ever used!!!!, April 6, 2007
Within a couple of hours of using this cream I broke out worst than I ever have before, it is no more than a cheap lotion. It is not worth the money. Big hassle to return the product and get your money back. Again please dont use this product. Especially not on a child!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works better than anything else I've tried, July 7, 2008
Allison Star (Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
I am a lifelong, chronic eczema sufferer who experienced severe breakouts on my hands, arms, neck, and face. I am relieved to have finally found a cream that worked for me. Before Freederm there were many days where I didn't want to go out in public, because my flareups were so bad. I had strangers ask me if I had been crying, because my face was so deeply reddened by the rash. Don't get me wrong it is not a total cure all, but it does lessen the rash symptoms and redness, most especially the irritating nighttime itching (I am sleeping so much better now). I personally found Freederm HC to work just as well as the steroid ointments without the harsh effects. I also know from having severe eczema on my hands for the last 10 years that my skin used to be really thick and patchy, but after using the Freederm HC for just over a week, my once rough and severly dry patches were just as smooth and soft as the healthier skin. It was a very welcomed sign to see, since I was always self concious of the darkened rough areas around my knuckles. I can't tell you how long it has been since my hands were the same skin tone. It used to be that my hands looked weathered like old leather, and now it is as though my hands are restored to a more youthful even glow.

There is one item I would like to touch on. I personally found that the results in just 3 days claim was a bit unrealistic for someone like me, who has had severe and constant eczema flareups for years. I found that my skin peeled constantly for the first few days to the point that I was going to give up and return it. My chiropractor who referred me to try Freederm in the first place, told me that it is common to peel. Afterall, peeling is part of the body's healing process. He urged me to continue with using the cream and to stay away from switching back to the steroid ointments. After 3 months of positive results with this product, I am so glad that I listened to his advice.

I have also used Freederm on my 2 young sons, who both get a seldom flare up here and there, and I am pleased to say that we get them back to clear skin in just 2-3 days.

2.0 out of 5 stars FreeDerm HC, November 4, 2005
This product did not work for us--I believe just over the counter Hydrocortisone would have worked as well as this. I will admit my son's eczema was pretty progressed by the time we got FreeDerm, and we did not see an improvement in a month's time. Some of the spots that were just beginning to develop might have improved, but we ended up having to get a prescription afterall, which healed the eczema in a week. And Eucerin cream (Equate brand)smothered on after a bath has done wonders preventing any new eczema (recommended by our physician).

1.0 out of 5 stars mediocre product with crappy customer service, September 4, 2007
I bought some for my granddaughter in march, it didn't work for her. They sent me some more in august, I didn't order it. I sent it back and they returned it to me again. They don't understand phone calls and repeated emails explaining the situation so I've about given up. If they charge my card for it I will be really angry.I will not buy from them again because of their service.

1.0 out of 5 stars Most of these reviews are posted by people that work for Freederm, January 18, 2007
Just read them. They are professionally written and they all sound alike. Nearly all the 5 star reviews are miracle cures for young children. And notice how the majority of 5 star reviewers names have quotes around them. You should really be reading the reviews of those that gave it 3 stars or less. From what I can tell, this is nothing more than over-the-counter 1% hydrocortisone cream. Be wary!

Rate and Discover Movies