4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you prefer to work in a reclined positon
First, let me say that if you don't spend much time reclining in your office chair, then this is the WRONG chair for you. Plain, and simple.

Second, getting this chair without the headrest is a waste of time. If you don't get the headrest, get a different chair. You'll thank yourself.

This is by far the best chair I've found and this is almost...
Published on September 11, 2008 by Lost My Mind

3.0 out of 5 stars Great chair except for the arms
I've had my HumanScale Freedom chair for 2.5 years and there's a lot to love about it. The automatic adjustments and back support are superb.

Published on May 11, 2011 by SusieM

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you prefer to work in a reclined positon, September 11, 2008
Lost My Mind (California, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Freedom Chair by Humanscale - Headrest - Standard Duron Arms - Graphite Frame - Foam seat - Black Wave (Kitchen)

This is by far the best chair I've found and this is almost entirely due to the recline-headrest mechanism. The most unique feature of this chair is the ability to recline and still have adequate support to see your monitor.

Out of a 10-hour workday, I will spend roughly 7-8 hours of it in a slightly-reclined to fully-reclined position. This position helps take a lot of pressure off of my back. The headrest is designed to stay "upright" while you lean back which makes it easy to read, view a monitor, type, etc.

The lower-back/lumbar support is aggressive when compared to other chairs, mainly because it's intended to be used while reclined. The back support also moves a little to encourage movement and shifting while sitting in the chair.

The arm rests recline with the back which helps keep the arms comfortable. They also can adjust in quite far and are longer than normal arm rests.

The seatpan can include standard foam or gel. I personally prefer the gel and can easily sit in this chair for 10-hours or longer.

That all said, in the upright position, the headrest may be in the wrong position for some folks and may push your head too far forward (or let it fall too far back). As I mentioned before, the headrest works best when slightly reclined. I had one of these chairs for 7 years and there was never a problem--even the fabric showed almost no wear. I sat in it 10 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Before you buy this chair, you *must* try it out and see if it works for you. If it doesn't fit, you *will* be uncomfortable (as other reviewers have complained). And by try it out, I mean sit in it for an hour. Bring a book, your laptop, whatever. Sitting in it for 5 minutes doesn't prove anything and is a good way to get hurt.

5.0 out of 5 stars After eight years constant use, it's worth every penny!!, February 23, 2009
I've used this chair, with the headrest (which it shouldn't be purchased without) constantly for almost 8 years now and it's absolutely the best. Plus Humanscale is a great company -one of the arms recently broke and the company paid to have it replaced, after 8 years!! I didn't have to beg or cojole, either.

The cushioning isn't as thick as some others for a very good reason -so your butt doesn't get locked in deep cushioning, which may seem more comfortable in the short run but is really detrimental after a few hours work. The best thing is the way the headrest works -if I'm in need of a few minutes break, leaning back brings the headrest into position and wow, is it nice. And it's perfectly balanced even all the way back.

This may be a particularly good chair if you're tall -I'm 6'5", almost two meters.

Check out Humanscale's own website ([...]) for more info on its settings.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great chair except for the arms, May 11, 2011

The arms, however, are its Achilles heel. First, they're hard to adjust correctly, but more importantly, they're very brittle. We have half a dozen of these chairs in the office and every one of them has had problems with the plastic bits that anchor the arms to the frame breaking. Some of our chairs have been repaired twice. Even though I have taken scrupulous care never to push down on the the arms when I stand up, one of the arms on my chair has still failed.

The good news is that other reviewers report that the company has a lifetime warranty and is good about facilitating repairs. I sure hope it's true.

Update August, 2014
It's true. The HumanScale sent out a rep with replacement arm hardware for all the broken chairs. Mine is as good as new, which is pretty good for a chair that's been in continuous use for 6.5 years. Best bundle I ever spent on office furniture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Chair, December 27, 2007
When I first used this chair it didn't seem to quite fit my proportions until I realized that the chair had many degrees of adjustability. Once I figured that out it was fantastic. The back support really distributes the weight well across the entire back rather than concentrate at any one spot. I find I am basically able to sit in a completely neutrally relaxed position while working at the keyboard. I am also able to lean back and doze off and the chair will not tilt all the way back so as to topple over. The degree to which that tilt occurs is also adjustable.

For the reviewer that said they felt like they were sliding off the chair, there is an adjustment to change the tilt of the seat which will essentially stop that from happening.

4 months after using the one in my office, I bought one for my home office. It is now September 2010 (almost 3 years since I originally owned the first chair) and both chairs are just as good as the day I bought them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome chair, January 27, 2012
I debated for a long time between this, the Steelcase and the Aeron. In the end, I bought this one and I'm quite satisfied. It doesn't have a lot of fussy controls like the Steelcase. It automatically conforms to the current position of your body as it moves around. For me, that's preferable. And here's the kicker: an arm broke after I had it for a couple of years. Humanscale not only sent me a new arm, free, but they sent me two new arms since the new ones are better than the old ones. Let's see if Herman Miller will do that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best desk chair I have ever tried/owned, July 17, 2008
Amazon Lover (spakelum, Mars) - See all my reviews
"upgraded" from an aeron chair (actually handed it down to my wife) as I work from home and am sitting in a chair for many hours straight. I tried many, many different chairs from specialty stores at all different price ranges and spent about 4 weeks of trial and error before deciding to get this one. I am 5'9", 185 pounds and sorta muscular build. Some things I have noticed:

1. Chairs are very personal items. This chair seems to be designed to fit average sized people.

2. I first tried the regular seat for a couple of days before deciding to upgrade to the gel seat. But I think this is just my personal preference. Some people like the gel and some dont. I much prefer the gel.

3. I found that I had to go with all of the upgrades to get the most out of the chair such as the advanced arms.

4. Even after all of the research it still took me about a full day to get used to the differences of this chair. Wouldnt give it up if you paid me double for it:)

Also...after 3 years of owning this chair one of the functions of the arm rests stopped working properly. I called humanscale and they were EXTREMELY responsive to my issue and are sending a replacement arm right away. Nice to have a lifetime warranty.

4.0 out of 5 stars You really need to try it first, April 12, 2011
Sean Carrington (Suffern, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I have to be honest... When I was looking for a chair to replace the one that was hurting my back at work, I was scared off by the bad reviews. So I bought an Aeron chair & I love it. Then 4 months later, I was wandering around a going out of business sale at a furniture store & they had a leather Freedom Chair floor model that they were selling for such an insanely cheap price that I bought it immediately.

My original thought was to put it on eBay & double my money in 3 or 4 days but I started sitting in it & liked it. Now, it's the chair I use in my home office and I'm quite happy with it. It supports my back very well and it forces you to sit with proper posture. Then, as the day progresses & you feel like stretching out a little, you don't have to adjust the chair at all. You just push back & the head rest holds your head forward so there is no stress on your neck & you are still looking at the computer.

Now with that said... I find the chair at work (the Aeron chair) more comfortable overall, the bottom seat cushion is quite firm & my girlfriend who is 5'1" says this chair doesn't work for her. So if you can, spend a day or two using this chair before you buy it because its expensive & if you're going to spend that much on a chair, you should absolutely love it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken Arm, February 14, 2013
I am a design engineer and have had the HumanScale Freedom chair for two years. The chair has had two broken arm rests in that time, one still broken - one elbow resting lower than the other as i type this review. When a humans get out of a chair they use the arm rests to stead and support them selves on exiting. The field of ergonomics is the study of this type of action. It is natural. Something that should be considered in good design. I am not a big guy , I weighing 175 lbs. I broke both of these arms getting up from the chair while putting little pressure on the chairs arm rest.

This company is in the chair design business. These weak arms rests are a design flaw. What company in the business would not have internal design standards for loading on arm rests, and seats and casters, etc? What company would not test for these loads during the design? What company would not fix the problem? Apparently HumanScale. The design of the arm rest is flawed and clearly designed to break, intentional design or just incompetence. It appears that this chair has been in production for many years judging by the reviews. HumanScale has known about this problem for all of those years. And guess what, in all those years the design flaw had never been corrected. A broken arm is replaced with another arm of the same design and it is designed to fail just like the one it replaced.

Sure HumanScale will replace the arms for free, but i have to spend 2 or 3 hours running the chair back and forth, and I have the pleasure of typing this review with one arm lower than the other. This is not a good chair and not a good company. A good company would correct their designs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegantly simple and comfortable, March 31, 2010
I found it more comfortable than several that we tried at my office. The simplicity is amazing, no fiddling with 4 knobs and levers. The counterweight reclining is awesome. I can recline and take a short nap no problem. Do get the headrest. As advertised it promotes moving your position without needing re-adjustment. I do wish the lumbar support moved higher, which is more comfortable in the reclining position. Personally I liked the padding rather than the cooler mesh chairs. Service is great. I did crack one handrest after putting too much weight on it repeatedly, but HumanScale sent me a new one free with one e-mail, no questions asked.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, over-hyped, uncomfortable chair, November 26, 2011
Make sure you read the negative reviews before investing so much money in this product, they are absolutely spot on.

1) The headrest pushes your neck sharply forward into a deeply uncomfortable position. It hurts to lie back and rest your head to read or work in this chair, despite the fact that it is designed to recline. I want to remove the headrest altogether.

2) The seat padding is hard and extremely uncomfortable and bruises my behind on regular 7+ hour use. As much as the padding is insufficient, the supposedly ergonomic bowed 'bucket'-shape of the seat compresses the glutes and thighs into themselves. I recommend adding a soft cushion to try and work around the problem.

3) As mentioned by others, the arm rests are very poorly designed. Both of mine cracked after a single year of use and finally snapped off the chair completely. And I consider myself to be very careful with my possessions. Additionally, the mechanism for raising and lowering the arm rests became looser and looser through use until it began to sag and no longer support the arms horizontally, making them nigh-on useless.

4) As others have said, the chair reclines much too easily. Even the slightest backward pressure and you find yourself flying back and lying like you're in a business-class airline seat. It's really extremely impractical and very annoying.

5) The way the back sits in relation to the base means you tend to slide forward in the chair and feel like you're going to slide right off. You have to keep pushing yourself back into the seat, which becomes tiresome and stressing after a while.

6) The headrest on mine started to come off because the screws embedded within the headrest pad (!) came loose, leaving a dangerously sharp screw protruding beneath the headrest. And because those screws are embedded within the headrest padding, you can't reattach them without literally tearing the headrest material apart.

7) The supposed 15-year 'warranty' is a complete nonsense. Try getting a response from Humanscale! They simply ignore all emails and phonecalls. I even asked to just pay myself for replacement arms, and still received no response. Unbelievable.

8) I don't think this chair is as good as many chairs on the market at just 10% of its price. Its unbelievable they hype and myth they've managed to build around this badly designed, unergonomic rip-off. I sincerely suggest - at the very least - that you TRY this chair before committing to buying it. I didn't, and I regret that I can never get that money back from this awful product.

Rate and Discover Movies