5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I bought this
Osho talks in plain clear words. There is no confusion here. No pretention, no complications. There are no theories, no convoluted rationalizations. Its just common sense talk. Sometimes we forget how to think in simple terms about our own free will. I highly recommend this book.
Published on February 27, 2006 by FruitySnack

3.0 out of 5 stars Second time reading this book
I read this book in my early 20's and it was very enlightening and life changing. And I really appreciate that experience. This was a liberating experience (the book was not in english thought...maybe thats why it feels so different)

Now im in my 30's facing spiritual crisis. I got this book and .... no... it is not mind blowing and enlightening anymore. The...
Published 22 months ago by A. Brazhnykova

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I bought this, February 27, 2006
This review is from: Freedom: The Courage to Be Yourself (Osho, Insights for a New Way of Living Series) (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars the value of this text..., December 7, 2004
I think that the value in this book lies in the deviation of thought from anything mainstream. Even though you might not agree with everything or anything in this book, Osho guides you through a world of thought that many of us had not even heard of. It frees you from a way of thinking that we are used to every single day. A good book to pick up and gain perspective when the problems pile up one after another. You will gain a new way of looking at freedom and a new way to define freedom. And althought I doubt that I, or most other people that will pick up this book, will alter their lives significantly, there are many words of wisdon to pick up. Afterall, all that we need sometimes is a breath of fresh air.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freedom: The Courage to Be Yourself, December 15, 2007
for all who know Osho, this is defnetly a must-have!
for all others, get ready to ask yourself some provocating questions!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic..., January 3, 2014
Osho at his best. And that is saying something!

I recommend this especially for young people trying to make sense of an insane world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, April 25, 2010
Osho. You either love him or dislike him but he will always get a reaction. What I like about all his writings is that he is able to challenge us on our way of thinking. In this day and age we seemed to have become so locked in a way of thought that has no freedom and has no awareness. Yes he has some radical ideas but he also challenges to explore how we have been taught and how valuable that really is. Freedom is not about doing anything you choose to do, but rather doing whatever it is with a mindfulness that is brought about by deep reflection. He is teaching us to ask ourselves why do we do certain things. Do we know why? When we do know this can brings about a profound freedom.
Dr Gunta Krumins-Caldwell author of On Silver Wings

4.0 out of 5 stars Spritual Freedom is real!, November 25, 2010
Osho explains different types of freedom and concludes that the real freedom is spiritual freedom when our mind is free from 'conditioning'--you recognize yourself and have courage to be true to yourself.

The book has endearing style with anecdotes sprinkled here and there. The author presents convincing arguments with compassion and love which a receptive reader will certainly like.

Overall, the book is quite good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Walk with Osho in Freedom, March 28, 2013
Glenn Russell (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Osho is amazing beyond words. Within the`New Way of Living' series, next to `Joy' this book on freedom is my favorite. Why do I say this? Because, in my experience, without joy and without freedom to be oneself, life would be a very dull, grinding affair.

Osho saw clearly how society can warp our sense of self and, in many way, how we must pull away from the influence of the mainstream if we are to gain self-understanding and true freedom. Curiously enough, I have been reading a great deal of the ancient philosopher Epicurus and I hear lots of echoes of the wisdom of Epicurus in the pages of Osho's book. As a way of example and to highlight the similarities between Epicurus and Osho, I would like to cite several Osho quotes with my own brief commentary. Since many others have posted reviews here, I thought this approach would bring an air of freshness.

"Forget all about society, don't fight with it. Have nothing to do with society, let society go on as it is." Likewise, Epicurus wants us to recognize in the grinding, competitive world of business, commerce, and politics, many other people will try to force us to run on their rat wheel. Epicurus urged his followers to move away from the city and live in a separate philosophical community, which, in many ways, was like Osho International in Pune, India.

"Freedom from something is not true freedom. The freedom to do anything you want to do is also not the freedom I am talking about. My vision of freedom is to be yourself." This hits squarely on why most people just don't get Osho. Most people are not satisfied with what life gives them. The pleasure of resting in the beauty of the moment completely eludes them. We can almost hear them bellow, `What is so damn beautiful about the present moment?!' Leisure time for them has become entertainment time. This is why Osho developed his dynamic meditations - so all the garbage we have been forced to swallow can be thrown out. And only then can we enjoy the freedom of simply being alive--resting in the fullness of the present moment.

"You are born as freedom. It is just that you have been conditioned to forget it." Likewise, Epicurus knew there is a type of possession even more valuable than possessing all the fine material goods, and that is possessing the ability to be in the world as a certain kind of artist. Not an artist whose artwork is a painted canvas or a marble sculpture, but instead an artist whose artwork is oneself, to transform our life in a way that we see beauty wherever we look; we have a sensitivity to the texture of things; we bring an element of creativity and artistry to our being in the world. What we taste, hear, feel, see and smell takes on a richness as we deepen our love of life. When I see photos of Osho out in nature, this for me is the very picture of freedom.

"Change your inner being. And the moment you are changed completely transformed, you will suddenly see you are out of the imprisonment, you are no longer a slave. You were a slave because of your chaos." Along the same line of thinking, Epicurus outlined what is natural and necessary - food and water for life, clothes and shelter for comfort, and wisdom and friendship for happiness. Those who came to his Garden to learn his philosophy received an education on the desires. As for myself, I appreciate the education I received as a boy, being taught how to read and write and the basics of mathematics and science, but beyond this, the emphasis on conformity and regimentation I found appalling. Following Osho's lead, I came to understand I couldn't look to society to find freedom; rather, I had to transformation myself internally.

Here are 2 Osho quotes: "God, fate, destiny--they are all in the same category: throwing your responsibility onto something that does not exist." And "You can have freedom. But the cost is to accept responsibility in its totality." Likewise, the first two Principal Doctrines of Epicurus are meant to have us experience freedom from fear of God and freedom from fear of death. As both Osho and Epicurus knew: we can't be free as long as we are caught in the grip of fear.

"He (God) does not hear prayers, otherwise you all will be in trouble." True! If God answered all prayers we would all be dead! For example: if one Christian on planet earth prays for the death of all non-Christians and one Muslim on planet earth prays for the death of all non-Muslims, then the entire human population is wiped out! And that is only the prayers of 2 people!

"What exactly is the innermost substance of freedom? - that you are free from the past, that you are free from the future." I love this little book. Please order a copy and walk with Osho in freedom.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a pity this man was a fraud, August 15, 2009
Osho is one of the few spiritual teachers I feel a certain instinctive sympathy with (although I don't really support his philosophy). The reason, of course, is his iconoclastic, near-frivolous and yes, anti-religious attitude. It's a dish best served at Youtube, where Osho says that "thank God, God does not exist", "It's time for Mother Theresa to jump into a lake", "I don't allow meat at my ashram, but I allow alcohol, because that is vegetarian"... It's a real pity that Osho turned out so badly, creating what was just another cult, at "Rajneeshpuram" in Oregon. Does the name Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh ring a bell? Yes, that was Osho's name as a cult leader! I suspect Osho (who died in 1990) adopted his new name when the old one became too tainted.

Osho's books are less provocative than his speeches on the web. At least the ones I read so far. They are also difficult to pin down. The message sounds trivial, nebulous and yet, in some strange way, profound. "Freedom" combines Eastern meditation with Western self-help and positive attitude. However, the self-help and attitude-building isn't connected to a New Age prosperity gospel (as in "The Secret"). Rather, Osho sounds like a sixties hippie. He calls on people to become drop outs, to sing and dance, practice free love, and die with a smile on their face. The message is both life affirming and yet somehow anti-social. What Osho is really getting at, I think, is fear of "not belonging". His main enemy is conformism, in matters both big and small. Going with the crowd, what Osho calls "being a camel", is the greatest sin, but so is being a negative rebel, "being a lion". The positive rebel is innocent like a child and quite simply floats where the stream takes him.

All gurus are surrounded by tales about their childhood, when they supposedly did miraculous deeds, and Osho also tells such stories about himself, but in his case they are not about miracles but about anti-conformism. The book contains a story about how as a young child, Osho refused to get a haircut, although long hair was associated with effeminacy in patriarchal India. When his father forcibly cut his hair, Osho responded by shaving his head completely bald, which in India means that one's father has died! Somehow, I get the feeling that Osho loathed the strong conformism in a traditional society like India, and began preaching a message that sounds like a hedonist and individualist version of Buddhism.

In "Freedom", Osho also makes political, or rather anti-political, statements. He doesn't believe in changing society by political means. All revolutions are purely negative and are doomed to failure. He exemplifies this both with the Russian revolution, and with India's struggle for independence. Real change has to come from within. Only if people change on an individual basis, and then drop out and form communes, can society be changed in the bye and bye. Being a political activist or leader is pointless. Rather, be a nobody, be invisible, but practice love on an individual basis.

"Freedom" is part of a series of eight books, called "Insights for a new way of living". If you are looking for concrete self-help techniques, be they secular or spiritual, you will probably be disappointed. At least if the other seven books are anything like this one! Rather, the books attempt to ground a certain attitude, an attitude very different from dogmatic theology, hard-and-fast rules, and life denying asceticism. I'm not sure who the main beneficiaries may be. Perhaps people dissatisfied with traditional religion, crowd mentality and even "The Secret"!

It's a shame that Osho blew it in Oregon, but hopefully he will be reborn as a more positive and life affirming creature. A bonobo, perhaps? :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful mind, July 18, 2008
I recommend this book and of course all Osho's books.

You will find good food for your intelligence and your soul.

Have a nice reading!

Tiziano

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Opener, October 13, 2013
Freedom is a must read for those that are searching for answers in life. While its language is plain and simple, its message is much powerful and meaningful. You'll like what you read. Good luck!

$14.99 $10.48