5.0 out of 5 stars Great Service, but make sure you know this...
Published on December 29, 2012 by Roland

1,576 of 1,672 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars **********SCAM***********DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE********
I got this unit directly from freedom pop in Jan 2013 for use when I travel. I subscribed to the 2Mb per month for $17.99. Upon receiving the device I connected my device to it and went to two webpages to test connectivity. It then went on the shelf.

Published 22 months ago by c4

1,576 of 1,672 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars **********SCAM***********DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE********, March 23, 2013
This review is from: Freedom Spot Photon 4G Mobile Hotspot (Black) (Wireless Phone Accessory)

About 2 weeks later, I took it out of town with me and used it while eating lunch to view a few webpages for research. No video, or audio, just plain webpages. I put it in my glovebox in my vehicle and there it stayed.

In March I noticed two charges from freedompop. One for $17.99 and on for $370. Yes, $370. I immediately called freedom pop and told them about the charge. They claimed I had used 37Gb (gigs) of data in 2 days. I asked for the dates of the usage and they were for just 3 days prior. I explained that I had not used it in over 2 weeks and the accused me of not password protecting it and leaving my network open. Fact is, the device was protected both with a login password as well as a separate wifi password of my choice. Also, the device was still in my glove box and the battery was dead. They then claimed that my MAC address may have been "spoofed", but had no explanation as to how that could have happened.

I asked for a credit of the $370 and they REFUSED!

If you use this service, BEWARE! They can say you used data that you didn't and there is no way for you to prove otherwise. They have your payment info on file and they will, WITHOUT WARNING, charge you extraordinary high amounts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Service, but make sure you know this..., December 29, 2012
The FreedomPop Photon is a well designed WiFi hotspot that does what it's advertised to do. It's fairly simple to set up and use. However, the more interesting part of the device is the service that it's attached to. The base plan that FreedomPop offers is 500MB for free. While this isn't much, it's still good for basic web surfing. In addition, their premium plans are priced well. However, there are a few things you should be aware of before you purchase this device.

1. If you don't use at least 5MB in any given month you will be charged a $.99 fee.
2. Auto top up is automatically enabled. This means that if you use up all your data it will automatically charge your credit card for extra data. You can (and should) disable this if you are worried about going over.
3. Coverage is very limited (for now) because FreedomPop uses Clearwire's network as a backbone. Check to see if they have coverage in your area. However, FreedomPop will be transitioning to sprint 4g LTE within a year. Although it isn't official, many FreedomPop agents are saying that they are planning on upgrading customer's hotspots that are compatible with the sprint network for free when they make the transition.

Overall, if you're fine with the few listed caveats above, you will be very happy with Freedompop. I haven't had any problems with the service and the speeds I've been getting are good (about 7mbps). I highly recommend this device.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad experience with their customer service, April 5, 2013
Free? think it twice. Beware the traps I got:
My credit card was charged $10 top-up when I requested to switch back from trail 2GB plan to free 500MB plan, even I disabled the auto top up charge option.
Customer service refused to make refund because of their "no refund once charged" policy. I disputed the unauthorized charge by my bank, and My free service and my account are disabled. I requested to return my useless device for my $99 device deposit refund and got refused also! See more at ripoffreport dot com and search for freedompop.

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER Beware --- Freedompop not trustworthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, June 30, 2013
I purchased my freedompop (FP) gateway directly from the company 3 months ago, I thought it was a great price for the service considering I was paying 3x more at ATT.

FPservice is not the best but I like it because of the price, I constantly get 3 bars on my gateway which is great for browsing. If I choose to go online and look at a video and use my voip phone, the quality of the voice is very poor which is directly related to bandwidth contention.

I am allocated 10GB per month, and initially I would leave my computer on and I noticed large chunks of data usage at odd hours in the morning, upon inquiry I was told by FP it was due to the computer being on probably applications are polling etc.

The following month I turn the network connectivity on my computers when I don't use the internet. However upon close examination of my bandwidth usage I noticed I was billed for data usage during hours when I was sleeping or out of the house. FP supports says their billing is accurate, no further explanation was given. I installed a few apps on my laptop to monitor the bandwidth usage and I notice a discrepancy which amounts to over 1GB I send it to FP support, I am still awaiting their response 4wks later.

On a side note, FP CEO was quoted in the news saying that they make most of their fees on additional charges, from my personal experience I don't believe they are trustworthy with their billing as I have lots of unanswered questions.

Regards

1.0 out of 5 stars This did NOT work for me, May 7, 2013
I must admit that I was excited about the prospect of a "free" internet connection. I am a very light user and thought this would be perfect for me. However here is what I discovered after 6 months of use. Here is San Francisco the coverage was just plain terrible. Even though it showed I was in the useable areas, I found that most of the places I went I just couldn't get a connection. Also I thought the battery life, and especially stand by life was just terrible. A fully charged device if you didn't use it for a few days would be totally dead. I can't tell you how many times I would go out and grab my photon only to find it was dead and needed to be recharged. Also I discovered that the "deposit" was not really that, and if you kept the device for more then a year, you would forfeit your $99 deposit. The kicker for me came with the introduction of their new gizmo which is supposed to give much better reception (and faster) then the photon. The new device will sell for 39.95. I thought I would give it a try before I gave up on the service. What I found out is that if I swap my photon for the new device, I will lose my 99 deposit. In other words they want to charge me, an existing customer 99 bucks for what they are charging new customers 39.95. I found this unacceptable. I am now returning my photon and just giving up on these guys. I guess if you are in an area that gets good reception it could offer a value. In San Francisco I found it not even to be worth the price, and since the price is free I guess that tells you how I feel about it. Also their customer service is basically by email, and its just too much of a pain. I gave up.

1.0 out of 5 stars inactivity fee?, May 1, 2013
Disclaimer: I didn't have a chance to actually use the Freedompop hotspot service, only dealt with their customer service and "inactivity" fees. So my review is about the latter two.

The first problem was that they charged a $0.99 "inactivity fee" because I haven't used the service. I don't remember ever hearing about that fee, and while a dollar a month is not a lot, it's still something I didn't expect.

The bigger problem is that I can't use it: since ordering the box back in Dec 2012, I moved into an area with absolutely no cell reception.

An even bigger problem is that Freedompop did NOT let me know they were shipping the box (no email, no tracking number, no "welcome to Freedompop, login to activate your account") and so the box - which was only marked with some sort of a "fulfillment center" on the label - was on the manager's desk at my old building for quite a while before I could pick it up.

My basic beef is nearly complete lack of communication, and refusal of customer service to take responsibility for it. Such as: if you intend to charge an "inactivity fee" - or anything at all - especially for the first time - especially if the customer may not be expecting it - you HAVE to send an email to the customer. FreedomPop failed here - count one.

Two, if you send a box someone ordered three months prior, you HAVE to let them know. What if they moved? No longer want the box or the service? Need to make any changes? FreedomPop failed here again, count two.

I called them today and communicated all that. They initially offered to take the box back and refund everything, but later backtracked saying it's outside of a 30-day return window, and they can only do two things: refund the $0.99 "inactivity fee" and cancel the "service". Freedompop failed here again - count three.

To me, it's pretty clear-cut: if it took them three months to ship a product and they failed to let the customer know that they shipped it, it's common decency to accept it back if the customer can't use it and it's slightly outside of that "30-day return period".

Couple that with those hideous "inactivity fees", and there very little I can say in Freedompop's favor.

Not recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't go there...these bottom feeders will take your money without your prior consent, September 24, 2014
This is the ONLY review I've ever written with years of membership to Amazon...with that said, FREEDOMPOP IS A SCAM! This entire company is managed by a bunch of bottom feeders and I'm doing everything in my power to connect with the BBB about this product/service.

Everything they promote says FREE internet service with possibility for upgrade; however, that is NOT what happens. In fact, without your prior consent or knowledge, they place you on a plan you don't want and never agreed to.

To demonstrate my point, I have screen shots of going back thru their "new client" setup and didn't find a single place where it would have been possible for me to approve the $19.99/month plan they said I signed off on - it's not even in the fine print. In addition, they don't even have a $19.99 plan on their website... Again, if I had screen shots, I would attach.

Needless to say, I'm young, savvy & buy many products via the web, and I even got duped by these losers...

1.0 out of 5 stars This company is dishonest, May 11, 2013
You better check your bill monthly for surprise attack on your credit card by these crooks its always something. Charges for not using the service charges for rolling over your minutes even if you don't sign up for it. And the best one is They say yes we will credit the false charges only to re-bill the next month. Deceptive business practice would be a compliment to these crooks. STAY AWAY FROM THIS!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept Poor Product, May 3, 2013
UNWAXED (Chula Vista, CA) - See all my reviews
I recently bought this item directly from the freedompop website.

Buyer Beware: Freedompop is selling refurbished Sprint Hot Spots. They are charging you full price and not mentioning anywhere that they are refurbished. Many people are reporting problems with the devices not working or connecting to coverage areas (see their facebook page) and getting response times that are over a week to resolve issues. Their tech support a minimum wait of 72 hours if you have any questions or issues. If their suggestion doesn't fix your problems, you can reply and wait another 72 hours for a response.

They currently are not replacing their broken devices because they are on back order. You are better off going with a 2 year contract with Sprint where at least you can count on getting a functioning device and have real-time support from competent techs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well but use with caution, August 7, 2013
Gadgetman (Saratoga, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I was originally a bit scared with the all the negative reviews but I bit the bullet and ordered this product with the lightening deal sale. So far it has been working quite well in areas where 4G coverage is available. You can also check to see if your area is covered by doing a Google search on "Freedompop coverage map".

As some other reviewers have also shared, we would need to be careful with setting up the billing option in order to avoid charges due to over-usage. This could be done by going to the billing setting and disabling the automatic top-up option. And also make sure that the device has WEP password enabled so that other unauthorized users cannot get to it.

If you are an occasional user for checking emails and getting on facebook on-the-go, this product would be a good deal.

08/25/13 update

- completed one month of usage cycle. The billing record showed usage of 72 MB out of the free 500 MB free data based on occasional usage for checking emails, getting on facebook, reading news, and watching small video clip. No extra charges were applied.