5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB!, November 14, 2008
Murray Pura "scribbling beneath jupiter" (waterton-glacier international peace park, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This CD by Phil is astonishingly good, not because Phil doesn't put out other good CDs but because it really is a cut above the others. I listened to it at the same time as another acoustic CD of Phil's, The Song Within, and Freehand totally outclassed it. Variety has something to do with it, as Phil glides from ballad to rock/pop to blues to jazz to renaissance to classical. Liveliness also has something to do with it, as we get a nice mix of fast and slow, loud and soft. Sound has something to do with it. I had it on my SACD player and you'd think it was an SACD in stereo itself - really, really awesome sonics. I don't know, Phil just sounds more inspired than usual and the CD never flags, never lags, never fails to keep the listener's interest. I would have to call this baby a classic, it's that good. Not an acoustic guess-I'll-go-to-sleep-now schnooze & schmooze fest. You are always waiting with great pleasure for the next lick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freehand Brilliance, April 2, 2008
JB (Melb, Australia) - See all my reviews
Have a few CD's and a couple of DVD's of Phil Keaggy, but this one which is basically instrumental is one that keeps getting played over and over and over. Very easy to listen to, with some very beautiful pieces to just sit and let wash over you. It is a very peaceful CD and one that I would recommend to anyone who wants peace in the home.

5.0 out of 5 stars freehand. Phill Keaggy, December 24, 2012
Wow! this is jaw dropping instrumental music; some of his best work. Must have!
This is a must for instrumental music lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Window Opened, November 19, 2012
I have followed Phil Keaggy's music for over thirty years, and thought I comprehended his versatility pretty well (not!). This recording was a window opened into the musical gifting and genius of this musician I had surely not seen before. What a wonderful surprise! I found the arrangements performed to be thematically dense and complex...I hear something new everytime I listen to them. If music can be described in terms of topology, my listening experience with this CD took me all over the map! This is a deeply moving and refreshing collection of Mr. Keaggy's works, another portrait of the man and his passion.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome guitar work, October 24, 2012
Keaggy is an amazing guitarist! Great cd to put on when entertaining friends for background music. Purchased to replace the first one I wore out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just more genius., March 6, 2014
Phil Keaggy has been a stable musical influence in my life since 1976. Everyone should listen to his musical creations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, November 21, 2013
One of the finest acoustic guitar albums every produced. Rich in sound, it soars and sings with the spirit of its musician.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keaggy is the best, October 15, 2013
This review is from: Freehand - Acoustic Sketches II (MP3 Music)
This is one of the best recordings Keaggy has produced. Flawless, musical, and inspirational...you need to consider this purchase as it will be a blessing

4.0 out of 5 stars Insrumental music that isn't boring, February 19, 2013
T. McCool "Musicologist" (Lafayette, IN United States) - See all my reviews
I have several Phil Keaggy CDs including many of his intrumental classics such as the original Acoustic Sketches. This supposed sequel is the same style of acoustic based music, but it includes full instrumentation with percussion, bass, and other stringed instruments. That provides some variety and tempo to the arrangements. In other words, this is not just Phil playing an acoustic guitar; these are full arragements.

I have always enjoyed Phil's instrumental CDs and it's not unusual for me to pull one out for a listen now and then. It's very pleasing and interesting music that keeps your attention but on the other hand does not intrude. Oh and I nearly forgot to mention - Phil Keaggy is one of the top 5 guitar players on the planet. In fact calling him just a "guitar player" is kind of an insult. He is a master of the instrument.

So slide this into the player or queue it up on you MP3 player and be prepared to be amazed and enriched by the music herein.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, January 26, 2013
Met all my expectations. Smooth, with no glitches. My brother likes it; my sister almost fell asleep at the wheel to it. It's relaxing. =)

Rate and Discover Movies