Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on March 15, 2013
After 166 pages of highly repetitive, grandiose descriptions of extreme narcissists, we finally get something about how we can free ourselves: "The rules of engagement require a variety of skills. They range from those of a highly trained guerrilla fighter, who acts with full force and precision at warp speed, to the most astute, intuitive intelligence operative, capable of analyzing the subtlest psychological cues of human behavior." <sarcasm> In the last 54 pages, you'll learn everything you need to know to become that highly trained guerrilla fighter.</sarcasm>

I finished the book in about 3 hours. Other, far more useful books, have usually taken me a week to read because every paragraph teaches something new or engages me in thoughtful reflection.

I suppose the one thing the book does well is to get you good and angry at how the narcissist in your life has affected you. Like a weekend away with the girls, it stiffens your spine. Hopefully that is enough to spur you to seek elsewhere for real help because you won't find it in here.
22 comments9 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2013
i felt like I was reading a text book. I read about 20 pages and could not get into it at all! I have a strong vocabulary but geez this is horrible. I def would not recommend this at all.
on July 6, 2013
Did not tell me anything constructive. It used stupid examples of well known people-who cares. Did not provide clear steps to "Free" yourself of the narcissist in your life (mine). Would not recommend this book to anyone. It was a waste of money and time!
on October 20, 2013
I buy books like this on the hope that they'll promise what the blurb says. I am SUCH a sucker. I think what I really need is to find a way to make the individual realize this book is about THEM and not some arbitrary stranger.
on February 11, 2010
There's nothing here that lives up to the title. Some stories of narcissists and the way they behave, but absolutely no actionable advice beyond a suggestion of taking up meditation. Sam Vankin's book is much better.
88 comments18 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2010
I read this book to learn how to recognize the cues from someone a counselor told me was a narcissist. This book is full of black and white thinking and has examples such as "picasso" and other extreme stories. I don't believe anyone is all good or all bad, and this book sure has a villain and a pitiful victim that needs to learn self esteem. Go for a book that is more realistic and that can be related to real life.
0Comment16 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The book's author seems much more intent in impressing readers with her flowery, pretentious writing style than in offering sincere and practical assistance. As a psychotherapist, I have read a number of books on narcissism and wouldn't recommend this to anyone looking for real solutions or to gather an in-depth understanding of the disorder. If you want a really helpful book written in a warm, sincere tone but predicated upon careful research, I refer you to "When You Love A Man Who Loves Himself" by Dr. W. Keith Campbell - insightful, helpful and very interesting.
11 comment6 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2008
I got this book because I was suffering from a relationship with someone with NPD and was very disappointed. If you are interested in celebrities and those sort of stories then I guess this would be interesting but I needed real help and this failed to deliver on any level. The book I found to be really helpful to me was The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists.
22 comments24 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2011
I thought this book was poorly organised and poorly written. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who actually wants help with dealing with a narcissist.
0Comment5 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2009
The very few real-life examples the author uses are from OTHER PEOPLE'S books--she has no new, personal research. The book is badly punctuated which occasionally makes for confusing reading.

But mostly, the book is so incredibly repetitive in describing the four or so sentences that describe a narcissist that it rpidly becomes tedious. It's not even clear whether the author is actually trying to describe garden-variety selfish egomaniacs or people who actually have Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I couldn't finish the book--it was just too much of a waste of time.

Someone has entered the word "spirituality" for this book, but none is discussed. Thre are no examples from her own practice (if indeed the author has one).
33 comments13 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse