5.0 out of 5 stars If you live on the West Coast (USA), get this one
TL/DR: Buy this one.
Published 17 months ago by andtrano

1.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't work
Buttons never worked out. I wanted to return the watch to be replaced but I couldn't. What can I do?
Published 5 months ago by Cristobal Celedon

5.0 out of 5 stars If you live on the West Coast (USA), get this one, February 1, 2013
This review is from: Freestyle Men's 101050 "Shark" Tide Classic Digital Sport Watch (Watch)
TL/DR: Buy this one.
Long version: I bought and returned Casio G-Shocks with tidal functions. Let me save you the research time. The G-Shocks use the lunitidal interval to calculate tidal information, which uses the lunar orbit to assume tide (moon overhead = high tide) and then a fixed delay (such as 4 hour delay due to underwater geography, other factors). This is not accurate on the west coast of the US since the moon and sun share influence on the tides, and unless they are directly in line with each other (either one on either side of the earth, or both on one side of the earth) the actual tide time fluctuates as a harmonic (the orbiting bodies are out of phase) and therefore using a fixed variable offset is invalid. This watch however uses pre-programmed information for the next 10 years, which we know will be accurate since it takes into account everything the lunitidal interval method does not, like the moon and sun being out of phase on the west coast. So it's not "i like the way the g-shocks look, and the tidal info will be similar", no, it's "this watch will be spot-on every time and the g-shock will only be accurate once in a while". This includes pre-programmed locations up and down the California coast, and you can do a custom location, such as "I will choose Humboldt Bay's data, then subtract 10 minutes from it to get the offset of the exact beach i want". So, in closing, if you live on the west coast of the US, a lunitidal interval watch, such as the G-Shock, will not be accurate, whereas one with pre-programmed tide data, such as this one, will be spot-on. Thanks for reading and I hope this helped save you some confusion and researching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad ass, October 6, 2012
This watch is pretty bad ass.. I tried it on in a store to see how it was. Really liked it, n it was way cheaper on amazon.
Soft silicon straps r really comfy. Feels kinda so soft almost like it'll break. But just feels that way. Also recently got a rip curl trestles tide watch. But this shark eats that watch up! Haha the tide function is a lot easier to read and has a bigger display, 3 different displays (time n tide, time n date, or just a big ass time)
Also the buttons are hydro pushers so u can use them when in the water. Pretty much my favorite tide watch I've owned (this, rip curl trestles, and Nixon lodown)

I would say that if there were cons to it, it's that the end of the strap will come out of the lil secured thingy when I'm getting pounded in shore breaks. And also the dark background w lite numbers is a lil harder to read than lite background w dark numbers. But it looks sick this way though. N nothing the bad ass blue light can't help.

All in all I love this watch n totally recommend it to everyone. ESP for the price. I've never reviewed anything in here before. But decided that this deserves it.

Aloha

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer Tidal Action, October 24, 2012
Nice featurs and comfortable. A must have for surfers, divers, and boaters. Large watch, but comfortable. Pretty easy to set up and navigate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tide watch!, December 26, 2013
I've had a number of tide watches from surf oriented companies, including freestyle. That being said, this watch is my favorite. The all black look is really nice, although the time can be hard to read in low light at an angle. The tide locations are a plenty, accurate and can be fine tuned I believe. The back light works well. The silicone band is a major improvement over the p.u. band. Plus it has standard watch pins, so when the band does need replacing you don't have to search out a band specific to the watch. That's a big deal to me because it was the reason I needed to purchase a new watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars More comfortable, better designed and cheaper than alternatives, December 6, 2013
This watch is by far the best designed, comfortable and durable tidal out there. The silicone band makes you forget it is on your wrist and the watch doesn't slide like other polyurethane alternatives. User interface is uncluttered, simple, gives you exactly what you need and not more, setup is easy and intuitive. I had minor bug with setting up custom beach: on some days (once twice a month) I was getting flat graph line when I used custom offset of -20 min. Pre-programmed beaches didn't have the issue. Contacted Freestyle and their customer service was super responsive. Blew my mind how customer centric these guys are. I was going on a trip and they got the watch back to me in time. Now, the flat graph glitch was still there unfortunately, but I decided to live with this and do the offset in my head. The watch is so comfortable that doing a little bit of math in my head is well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Shark Tide Design, May 8, 2014
I've worn the Shark Tide watch for over7 or 8 years now. The battery is good for at least two but the sliding watch strap guide always manages to crack and break. This is a new design with the same functionality as the original Tide. The face of the watch is more rectangular and the band is a little different also. It has a more stylish appearance along with the all black face in my opinion. I enjoy having two time zones so I can set time-2 to my travel destination such as Hawaii or Florida while leaving PST as time-1. I wear it in the ocean while bodyboarding or swimming and have never had a problem with condensation. Having the tide information available makes it easy to decide weather to surf in the morning or afternoon at my local break. This is my go to watch for less than $100.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent surf watch, November 11, 2013
This watch is extremely comfortable to wear while surfing and is easy enough to see. The black on black looks good, and the big face prevents it from looking like a generic Timex style sports watch. My only complaint is that I still can't figure out how to get to other tide settings. I'm stuck with the 8 default ones programmed into the watch.

1.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't work, February 2, 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Tide function does not work!, November 6, 2013
It doesn't give accurate tidal information. It's totally useless for surfing if you can't use the tidal function. I've had a lot of freestyle watches but this is the first one with that sort of problem

5.0 out of 5 stars Great surf watch, March 3, 2013
The face looks dark, but you can read it perfectly when you're out on the water. Very large face, works perfectly.

Rate and Discover Movies