5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, timeless classic for young engineers
With a few words and the most marvellous illustrations, Freight Train will take your child on a magical journey. Each page features a different part of the freight train in a bright color. Then the whole train moves through the countryside, faster and faster until the colors start to blur from the speed.
Several things make this simple book so effective. First,...
Published on December 13, 2003 by Maddi Hausmann Sojourner

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Picture-to-Story Transition Board Book
Published on May 21, 2009 by Shanna A. Gonzalez

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, timeless classic for young engineers, December 13, 2003
This review is from: Freight train (Paperback)
Several things make this simple book so effective. First, the bright colors are identified to help preschoolers learn them. Next, the different cars on the train are given names, so young engineers will recognize them when they see a real freight train. They are introduced to the engine and tender (in hard-working black), a hopper car, a tanker car, a flat car, and so on all the way to the red caboose in back.
Best of all, these are not simplistic little kid pictures. What I think makes this book so appealing is how detailed the train cars are. Every little rivet and brake hose is visible in these pictures despite the bright colors. I think our little engineers recognize that this is a REAL TRAIN BOOK even if the words are large and the sentences brief. I saw my son studying each car so intently, looking at all those little parts. Crews' drawings are absolutely remarkable, and our kids recognize QUALITY.
I can honestly tell you to buy this one sight unseen for your young train-lovers (ages 2-5).

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully designed, a must-have children's book, February 25, 2000
My 16-month-old son loves trains, and we have read many train books. Freight Train is his favorite (and has been his favorite book for the last two months). The illustrations are spare and clear, use primary colors, and have enough detail that my son finds some new train hardware to point at each time we read the book. As the train moves, its different-colored cars blur together for a nice visual effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little ones love the rhythm of Freight Train when read aloud, May 23, 2000
By A Customer
This book has short phrases on each page, and the entire story reads like a non-rhyming poem. I believe that the rhythm of the verses, along with the clear bright illustrations, is what drew my son to this book, even at 10 months old. For his 3rd birthday recently, I made train decorations based on the illustrations in Freight Train. He still enjoys the book and now "reads" it to himself. Preschoolers can easily memorize this wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for little train lovers, December 28, 2000
Simple text describes 4 different types of freight cars, the caboose, the tender and the steam engine. The six basic colors plus black are used for each car and therefore this is an ideal way to teach colors to the little train-lover. Very fast read and my son pleads me to read it again. I don't mind, as this is not aggravating in any way (as some of the board books are). Sturdy board book construction. Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Children's Book, March 26, 1998
By A Customer
My son got this book for Christmas, because I was so tired of hauling it back and forth to and from the library. There's something about the structure of the book that just mesmerizes him--I think it might be the transition from knowledge and understanding of colors and the names of the cars, to movement of the train through the countryside. It may be a boy thing--he's never cared for the highly verbal books his sister enjoyed so much, but wants this book over and over and over and over. One bonus is that it's relatively short, and appealing enough that I don't mind how often I've had to read it. I highly recommend this book, particularly for parents of preschool boys.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Picture-to-Story Transition Board Book, May 21, 2009
This is a simple presentation of the different cars on a freight train, with rhythmic text describing each car. It's a better board book than picture book, because for toddlers the bright colors and simple lines are very pleasing, but it might not hold the interest of older readers. This is good for the transition from looking at pictures to understanding stories, especially if the young reader can have exposure to a real train.

5.0 out of 5 stars Choo Choo Boogaloo. A classic for your bookshelf!, June 25, 2000
This review is from: Freight Train (Paperback)
My son's first word was "car". The word "train" was not far behind. He loves this book. He has learned the types of train cars and colors from reading this simple and elegant book (board book version). It is a must have for all children who love trains. Mr. Crew's book truck is terrific but nowhere near as colorful and as filled with speed as this book. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Be careful to avoid the "big book", September 6, 2012
**A word of warning: Don't order from the first page that comes up when you search for Freight Train on Amazon. It looks like the regular book, but you're actually getting the "Mulberry Big Book." If you just click through and buy, you wind up with a giant, cheap paperback the size of a standard Pack & Play. It's huge. Amazon would not let me return what I ordered, and I'm really annoyed. I guess it's my fault because I wasn't careful enough (I'm usually pretty savvy, but this time I thought I was ordering the large sized board book). The giant book is completely useless to me. The library won't let me donate it. I can't wrap it to give as a gift without using a whole roll of paper and locating a stiff cardboard backing. It can't be mailed. It won't fit in a suitcase. My toddler doesn't recognize it as a book. There's no good place to store it. It's easily damaged. Right now, it's under the bed while I try and figure out what to do with it. Argh! Very aggravating, especially since I ordered it as a gift to arrive the day of a first birthday and had to run out to the Borders at the last minute to get a standard copy.**

HOWEVER - we also have Freight Train as a board book, and that's what gets the five star review. I would give it a million stars if I could. When I was nine, I had this book memorized. My toddler brother made me and my sister read it to him again and again.... and again, and again, and again. Now my brother, sister, and I are parents, and all of our kids adore this book. My 18-month-old always asks for "Fate Tain". Her two-year-old cousin does the toddler freakout dance of joy whenever someone pulls his copy off the shelf. It is the best young toddler book I know of, hands down.

Crossing trestles!

5.0 out of 5 stars Colorful, simple favorite that stands the test of time., February 19, 2012
This review is from: Freight Train (Paperback)
This is a short book. The words include colors, names of train cars, and some other words describing the train's location.
My toddlers and babies enjoy this book. It has been a family favorite for years.
If you are looking for a long storybook about trains then this is not the best choice.
If your child already knows how to name colors then you can use this book for color-word recognition and spelling practice. Thus, this book could also be used with older children who are beginning readers. The simplicity of the "story" in this book leaves the reader to imagine the surroundings and the contents of the train. There are many possibilities for discussion with children about this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter's favorite!, April 22, 2006
Stacey Rees "Bibliophile Mom" (Toledo, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
I highly recommend this book and often give it as a gift to newborns. This book was my daughter's favorite book from about 10 months until nearly three years old. For Sophie, it was a great introduction to colors and developed a fascination with trains that continues today. Now my son, who is 14 months old, loves Freight Train nearly as much as his big sister! I recommend the board book over the hardback or paperback as sometimes the seam distorts the train.

Freight Train Big Book (Mulberry Big Book)
Freight Train Big Book (Mulberry Big Book) by Donald Crews (Paperback - October 22, 1993)
$24.99 $19.94