Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on January 19, 2014
I can confirm the Farson Blade is made in China. I normally wouldn't take issue with this except for how they do their best to make people THINK this product is made is the USA. Their advertising is disingenuous at best. In actual fact, while they have a license to put their name on the pre-existing design of a U.S. knifemaker, the sum total of their own designed and manufactured U.S. products is exactly z-e-r-o. So much for their commitment to, as stated on their home page, "try and make them in the U.S.A.". They are appealing to your patriotism so you can support Chinese manufacturing jobs.
Oh, if you are still interested, according to the company head Mike Jones, this item is made of 7CR17 which is almost identical to 440A composition wise. It is heat treated to 56-58Rc (this information courtesy of this items review on thefirearmblog.com).
It is basically an Ulu knife, but harder to hold, and in fact was kind of fun to use for food (salad) prep in the kitchen. But as a survival tool I cannot think of a single reason to choose this over, say, a Swedish made Mora you can get for $13 or a knife actually made in the U.S.A., a Buck Vantage Avid made of the excellent 13C26 Sandvik Stainless Steel for $30! How the Farson Blade could be made in China and still cost almost $39 (shipped) is beyond me; maybe they are banking it to pay for the lawsuit that is going to be filed when someone squats down and has their thigh laid open as this tool slices fight through the totally inadequate sheath? Ahhhh, sorry, that was kinda tacky put please take away the point - replace the sheath by making a kydex one for a couple bucks or line the edge of the included sheath with rivets or Chicago screws along the cutting edge portion. Overall, I would add another star if this was marketed as a vegetable prep kitchen knife (TWO if it was $10) but for survival buy 3 Mora knives to have one on you, one in your bug-out-bag, and one for your significant other to prove you'd like them to be able to survive too!
33 comments93 of 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon February 20, 2015
This Farson Blade is a very different kind of tool. I believe the more expensive version has the same blade but a leather case. Anyway, here are my thoughts on this blade:

1. It's different, so that means it takes some getting used to. You can baton with it, cut with it, tie it to a stick and chop with it like an axe. But these things are new, so it takes some getting used to.

2. It's almost all blade, so you can cut yourself on this puppy if you're not careful. Few tools have this much blade so close to your hand. Again, take care and take time to get used to it.

3. It's light. Very light! This is a real plus if you're deciding between this and a small hatchet for a trip. I'd take this over a hatchet for light chopping.

4. On the downside, I found I couldn't get as much momentum with this blade when chopping. Batoning is different, of course, as the momentum comes from the baton itself.

Overall, I think this is a pretty cool tool. I'm not sure that it's a total game changer, replacing all my other blades. But it's something I'll continue to use.
on December 9, 2013
***WARNING*** Made In China... I would have never purchased this tool if I had known it was made in China. This tidbit of information is not listed on Amazon and I even went to the manufactures web site before ordering and nowhere is this stated. You get a lot of information about being a knife maker out of Wyoming and their knives being made in the U.S.A. but what I ended up with is cheap P.O.S. that was made in China.
55 comments51 of 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2013
Not very shrap. To light for any heavy work. Light duty camp kitchen work is about all its good for. Not impressed.
55 comments16 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2014
Love the tool ...but hated the holder it tore rite away. Quality tool !!!! Very low grade holder!!!! Hope I can find a holder for my tool ..
on June 13, 2014
I bought this with the idea of getting a more universal tool to put in my EDC bag, along with my other cutting devices. Last weekend, I happened to be passing an accident and there was a lady trapped in her car due to a stuck seat belt. This Fremont Knife was just the ticket to squeeze between her body and the seat-belt. One slice and she was free, It cut from the inside out and did not even come close to cutting the victim, as she fell onto the wrapped side of the blade.

It also works well for chopping vegetables when I am cooking. Lots of uses, just lit your imagination be your guide.
on March 26, 2014
very nice and compact, also really sharp. the scabbard is pretty cheap, but I fit mine in my med kit anyway, besides, the price was good for just the tool. great for ultra light back packing, so many uses and still compact and light.
on May 28, 2015
what an excellent survival and 'All Round' Kitchen tool!

A 'Must Have item for your Survival belt! Pity one can't take it on an aeroplane!!

Very Very Sharp and held it's edge extremely well, even after prolonged use! Got to watch ALL CUTTING EDGES!!

Only deficiency is that it should have a strong robust moulded Kydak type Case!
on May 3, 2014
Good for general purpose. Could be used to chop vegetables in a camp environment. Or used as a one blade for all tasks if really desperate. Personally, a good survival knife can do all this can, but its fun and different.
on September 4, 2014
So after reading other reviews I wasn't sure what to expect.

The blade came more than sharp enough to do the job and it is a sneaky little bastard that will bite you as soon as you forget to respect it. The fit and finish could be better, the interior edges were a little rough but I planned on rounding them out with a Dremel anyway because I expected sharp corners at this price point. Since I like to customize my stuff, the first thing I did was re-do the handle with a Strider wrap and it has made the tool much more comfortable to hold, as soon as the cuts I gave myself heal... sneaky little bastard.

Two complaints from other reviewers that I didn't experience:
1.) I didn't find the tool to be "too light", I bought it as a lightweight back-up for my back-up, to add redundancy to one of my kits. It wouldn't make much of a chopper anyway unless you like skinned knuckles. At any rate, the design makes any catastrophic failure very unlikely no matter what you do with it, knuckles or no knuckles.
2.) Made in China: I didn't notice it marked anywhere and I don't really have an axe to grind on this subject so for my purposes it is kind of a non-issue. It would be nice to know what steel the tool is made out of though. I know some reviewers have posted it as a 5Cr or a 7Cr, I wouldn't mind knowing because it can effect the kind of maintenance you should do, but with this design you can sacrifice some toughness and use a more stainless steel.

Minus a star for some lazy QA, otherwise worth the purchase.