on February 7, 2013
The steel lid contains a plastic thing inside, it will touch your coffee when you go to pour it unless you lift the lid up a bit. We specifically bought this french press because it seemingly had no plastic in it besides the handle (and a reasonable price of course). (Picture is posted) Works fine so far but would be better if the screen press reached a little lower. Lastly, the steel ring at the top is very flexible, it wasn't a perfect circle when we took the glass out but we were able to bend it back in shape. (it could be helpful in gripping the glass??) Good size though, two servings for me. Oh yeah, but like others have said, the screen only goes down to an inch above the bottom. Mmmm, silty...

ALSO!! Not stainless inside, the metal inside turns black, -can be scratched off but that's pretty scary.

Made in China, if you're wondering.
review image
1313 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2012
As far as functionality goes, this French Press performs very well, just as well as two of my Bodums. However regarding the filter screen which is part of the Filter assembly; the whole in the middle of the screen isn't reinforced where it passes over the Cross Piece (this is the threaded piece that the Plunger Rod screws into). The center whole in the filter screen is therefore prone to damage. Also, the Plunger Rod could me machined just a litter better so that it more easily mates with the Cross Piece. The real bad news is that if you break any part of the French Press you are out of luck. The manufactures does not provide any replacement parts. All in all, you get what you pay for. It is much less expensive than many of the other Presses out there. It was worth the money.
on April 3, 2014
Initially I loved the bare bones simple design. The plunger does not go straight down, and it frequently falls on its own accord. The big issue is the glass. IT IS NOT FOOD SAFE OR TEMPERED. It shattered on the 2nd use, and there was not a large temperature difference between the glass and water. This product is garbage.
review image
on March 8, 2014
I purchased this for my wife for an anniversary present, it arrived very quickly, too bad it was in about a million pieces. Ordinarily I wouldn't blame the product for this, however, like others have stated the glass is very very thin and brittle. I will be sending this back for a refund and have already purchased a Bodum French Press wich is crafted by much higher quality thick glass...I reccomend spending a few dollars more and getting something which will for sure last much much longer.
on January 26, 2013
The screen and stuff fall off, its hard to keep all that end together. A spot weld would fix it..
on January 20, 2014
After using this for a month or 2, this coffee maker just broke as I was pushing the plunger down. It shot very hot coffee and coffee grounds all over me and the kitchen. I replaced it with a Mr. Coffee french press from walmart for 20 bucks and have been very pleased with this one.
on February 19, 2016
Not the best press out there by any means , but it did the job. Doesn't quite strain out the grounds very well. Made great tasting coffee, but I could do that by pouring it in a pan and making it. Save your money and get a better one. I have a Bonjour one now, and no grounds. Love that one.
on January 20, 2013
I bought this for my daughter for Christmas, as she liked mine (not this brand) and wanted one for her apartment. Found this at a good price and it arrived well packaged. However, she told me that the assembly with the screen and metal plates that hold it together "separates" when she presses the brew. I told her it should all be together, and she made sure the nut was tight on the pole, but it still does not stay together. She said it works, but the screen doesn't go all the way down, thus she gets 8 oz. of coffee when she should have 11-12 oz. Wondering if I can send it back now.
on August 16, 2015
It's a pretty good french press coffee maker for the price that you can get. In fact, it lasted me about 4 months before I started to have any problems, but even after that it wasn't a big issue. Sometimes the top piece that presses down would be come unscrewed easily after multiple uses and washes, but it only takes a second to screw back it. It's just that if I forget, sometimes the coffee grounds leak through. Otherwise, this does an excellent job of filtering and I will never go back to paper filters again - there's definitely a huge taste difference. I even dropped the product once and it didn't break due to the thin metal casing outside, so it's definitely something that's going to last a long time. I was originally going to give this review 4 starts due to the screw unscrewing multiple times, but I finally fixed the issue... I just had to be more firm about it. Definitely recommend.
on June 23, 2015
BAD PRODUCT. DON'T BUY THIS. This product is garbage. If you have one throw it away. It's dangerous. On March 6th, I bought one and didn't get a chance to use it until later. I used it twice and for protection of the glass, I put it back in the box. When I opened the box a couple of weeks later, the glass had a clean break all the way around the top of the metal piece. I contacted the company and they sent me another one. Still trash. Opened it for the first time today and the glass is broken. Could have cut someone. I have pictures.