Customer Discussions > French Women Don't Get Fat forum

French Women Wish They Were As Beautiful As American Women

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 27, 2006 9:29:43 AM PDT
Let's face it...

When you meet a French woman in real life, they certainly aren't the prettiest women in the world.
And, fat or no fat fat, we all know that French women wish they had the natural "endowmnents" of the American woman.

Ladies, stop buying into all of this crap that the fashion and diet industries are throwing at you. You're gorgeous!

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2006 9:24:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2006 9:32:47 AM PDT
What? Gee, thanks for the "props" and everything, but did you really have to insult an entire nation of women? Not on my behalf, thank you! And what do you mean French women are not pretty? I am sure there are varying degrees of beauty in France, just as here in the U.S. And had you read the book (based on your comments, I have no choice but to assume you have not) it in no way sets out to make you feel bad about about the way you look. Instead, it encourages women to embrace pleasure and to stop denying cravings and enjoy them in sensible portions. The book advises you to love and to be kind to yourself and ****NOT***** to diet.

And the "endowments" comment was simply bizzare. How, pray tell, do you know what French women are thinking? And are you saying that women with big breasts are superior to women with smaller breasts? I will not point out the hypocrisy in this statement. It's far too obvious. And did you stop to think that the supposed high number of "endowed" American women may in fact be due to the enormous amount who have had breast implants? I mean, you can finance them.

This post is wildly misogynistic. I, and I am sure most other women do not need your rescuing.

Blech.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2006 9:53:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2006 9:55:14 AM PDT
Lady, these diet books must have made you lose your mind.
Calm down. Order a pizza or hit the "all you can eat" buffets or something.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2006 7:37:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 18, 2007 7:20:28 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2006 9:34:07 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 8, 2007 2:50:33 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2006 6:02:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2006 12:59:12 AM PDT
A. Hatami says:
I think you've never been to France. I've been to France, US and many other countries. I think French women and French people are well educated, pretty and sexy. I would love to date a French person because they know and apply the joy of life in every moment of their path. On the other hand, I would never want to date an American person because they are ignorant, no General Information, not so elegant and fat.
I have stayed in France several times (and several months each time) and just went to France before going to US. In France people were well educated, intelligent and had a lot of information about people in other countries.
And when I got to US and lived and worked there for several years, I was so shocked about how American people are unconscious about their own look and so ignorant of all other countries and things than US. They hardly read any book, and nothing makes them excited other than their everyday life. Your people even don't know any language other than English (Except for Spanishes or immigrants from other countries, who know their mother tongue). You just stuff yourself with your pizza and all those "all you can eat" junks and never enjoy them as one should enjoy real food. What French People generally do is to enjoy every byte of their really delicious and variable foods and every step of their beautiful life.
I would suggest you go on a trip to visit some other countries, then you would change your mind about American people and you might also think that they would need some more education and information other than what they actually have. At that time you'll know how things can be put together elegantly in order to make a more beautiful life.
I've known many kind, pretty and sexy women from other countries who are intelligent as well. Intelligent means to have information more than what is just needed in the everyday regular life.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2006 8:20:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2006 9:02:07 AM PDT
What I claim for myself extends to you also Hatami: You're entitled to your opinion.
I can, however, do without the rash presumptions and condescending tone of your advice. You don't know me, where I've been, or the things I've done.

I would like to know if any of those "ignorant, not so elegant and fat American persons" (for some reason you're being deliberately ambiguous to gender - don't worry, nobody here is going to reach out from cyberspace to bite you) wanted to date you? Now this is a question that, if answered honestly, would tell me quite a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2006 3:23:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2006 5:34:46 AM PDT
A. Hatami says:
What I've written in my last post is based on facts not on presumptions. During my residence in US and also in other parts of the world I have been in a situation that I was able to observe the way of life which was going on in the society and inside the families.

I have even read a lot of books and articles about the lifestyle in many parts of the world. American way of life is not the only way of life and dealing with people. People all around the world should learn to be flexible about other people's cultures and respecting each other while confronting huge differences in their actions and behavior altogether.

If you want to know, I'm a woman who is not that bad looking. I take care of myself physically and emotionally. I have a very nice boyfriend who loves and respects me and I love and respect him in return. I'm an easy-going and straight forward person who has a lot of "Joix de vivre (Joy of life)" which I've learnt from French people. I can make friends with people wherever I go and can keep my deep respect and friendship with them whether I'm close or far. I have a lot of American friends and we love and respect each other, and they mostly agree with me about following a full version of life which we can find in the French lifestyle.

I actually have encountered many nice American guys during my stay in US and later who asked to date me that I didn't accept because of the difference I saw between my expectations and how they were (So I didn't write the post due to the frustration caused by not being asked to date an American guy). Also Many good looking and sophisticated people from Europe and other parts of the world have asked to date me not just for my look but for what is going on in my mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2006 8:34:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2006 8:49:21 AM PDT
The presumptions that you made were in the "advice" you gave me. It seems that you would rather assume that because someone is a proud American then he or she must be someone who is an ignoramous who probably hasn't travelled more than 50 miles from home. No, I haven't been to France but I have travelled to many other places, both as a Marine and a civilian, and I've experienced both the best and the worst in the people I've encountered. For the most part, I respond to a person as an individual, not as a nationality.

In my original post I never said that the French were ugly or anything of the sort. My point was that I am sick and tired of seeing American women insulted by certain industries in this country, who play on their physical and emotional insecurities in order to exploit them to buy their garbage. They throw at them these anorexic-looking fashion models and emaciated, bony actresses in the movies and on TV, drumming into the average American woman's mind this nonsense that these negations of feminity are beauty and desire personified. The results are not only the multi-million dollar profits from the constant sale of diet drugs and supplements, dieting books, plastic surgery, workout DVDs and all that jazz; it also involves rising cases of eating disorders and depression, and, in many cases, women using hard drugs and chain smoking to keep their weight down. Anything to keep the weight down.

As an American man I only want to say that American women are beautiful and desirable in body, heart and mind. That doesn't mean I don't find women of other nationalities attractive. I happen to think that British women are gorgeous. Mexican women are adorable and down-to-earth. African women epitomize womanhood. And I find the women of the Middle East and India to be extremely beautiful. My first wife was a Sephardic Israeli. So understand that I'm not coming at this from some chauvinistic point of view. I'm trying to avoid the "French bashing." I could say much in reply to your enamoration of the French lifestyle. Any of that, however, would be beyond the point.
My comments to Marie-lise were in response to her juvenile posting. She threw mud at me, I threw some right back at her. That's it. Basically, I'm saying that American women do not need to look to French women or any other European women for anything. They got all they need and much more.

You, however, want to modify your statements about Americans. In your initial post you make these broad, overwhelmingly negative generalizations on Americans' physical looks and intellect. Now you say you have "a lot of American friends we love and respect each other...," "I have encountered many nice American guys during my stay in the US..."
This is a far cry from "[Americans] are ignorant, no General Information, not so elegant and fat."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2006 2:08:20 PM PDT
I love my American women and nobody can beat em!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2006 3:50:13 PM PDT
D. Carvacho says:
Come on now, Caesar, that's uncalled for! Please try to be a gentleman and stay clear of name calling. You aren't doing any of us American girls any favors by writing this stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2006 2:04:19 PM PDT
As an American student who has spent a great deal of time studying abroad, and who has made friends all over the world, including Europe, I have no problem correcting Caesar - I know several French people, male and female, and none of them are unattractive, or sit around "wishing they had the natural 'endowments' of" Americans. In fact, they don't sit around giving much thought to American endowments at all - they have more important things to give their minds' attention to, such as becoming fluent in several different languages.

Obesity is a huge problem in America, because somewhere amidst all the supersizing nonsense, people stopped learning about basic nutrition. Further, the woman who wrote "French Women Don't Get Fat," is French by birth, and emigrated to the USA long ago. She is married to an American man.

You might have been trying to "defend" or "praise" American women, but you definitely went about it backwards with such ridiculous, inflammatory statements. Ms. Guiliano did not write her book to "talk down" to American women. She wrote the book for paying customers who are troubled by being fat, and want to lose weight and be healthy, but simply don't know how. She specifically says, in fact, that women should not hold themselves to unrealistic standards, or try to be "model-thin".

The problem with being fat isn't that it keeps Americans (in general... we have plenty of fat men, here, too) from being what you refer to as "gorgeous" (although most people in the world would certainly not find a fat American to be "gorgeous," your aesthetic taste is certainly your right), it's simply that being fat makes you unhealthy and thus less likely to really enjoy life. So before you jump the gun and insult an entire culture of women based on a reaction to a book you haven't even read... maybe you should pick up the book first, at the very least. Or travel outside the US and learn more, firsthand, about the culture that you feel like insulting. Overall, you don't sound even remotely well-informed. To everyone else who's read this conversation - not all Americans are like this guy. He doesn't speak for the rest of us.

signed,

a thin American girl who has actually spent time in France

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2006 12:01:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2006 12:05:53 PM PDT
A. Hatami says:
What I told in my first post was about the Majority of American's physical looks and intellect. I have made friend with some of the minority who were intellectual of course and when I said I encountered many nice American guys I didn't mean 1000s of them, maybe just 5 or 6 them. So please don't generalize my words. I still believe the same as in my first post about American people's look and intellect. I always love the French way of life, French People's intellect and look, and I have my own strong reasons for that, which are based on my experiences and of course studies.
I don't care about the economic reasons of the institutes that throw diets and workout dvd's and... in the market, but I would prefer to make the best use of anything which comes my way to improve my intellect, health, moral and look, and I wouldn't consider a person who doesn't want to pay attention to learn from anything that comes his way to improve all aspects of his life an intelligent person.
If you want to say that "American people are the best people in the world and don't want to improve their lives", I would say that the best people in the world are the one's who try to learn the best aspects of any country's people's lives and as a result have a better lifestyle.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2006 5:38:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2006 5:40:13 PM PDT
MJ Krom says:
I think that all of you are right to a certain extent. I am a woman who has been on the weight-loss roller coaster all of my life. I have also lived in France(had a French Marine as a boyfriend) and in Spain as well as Germany. Europeans have a different relationship to food. They eat fresh and healthy, rarely out of cans or frozen food. Europeans have longer vacations and especially the French have shorter work weeks.

Here in America, we have long work days, and we eat tons of processed food. We rarely eat fresh foods. People here are more car dependent than Europeans. All of these things play a role in health and wellbeing.

With the current political environ in the world, it may look like Americans don't give a good doggone about the rest of the world, but some of us do. Remember:49% of us did not vote for Bush.

I live in California, and you can find women here that are in all shapes and sizes. They all try to look the best they can, and they may not like their bodies, but they make due with what they have.

America, England, Australia and now China are beginning to have obesity problems. American women are constantly being fed the line that we have to look like supermodels and actresses. Turn on the tv and you can see informercials about the latest diet pill or exercise routine. Many here are trying to loose weight, but it is hard.

All I am saying is that there is no black and white, and we all have to understand the circumstances behind our own relationships to food, and other cultures relationships to food. We can't hold all to one standard.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2006 5:47:20 AM PDT
Bijal Patel says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2006 9:54:15 PM PDT
Amber Houck says:
You are just as ignorant and presumptuous as the person you are complaining about. It is impossible for an entire nation of people to have identical characteristics. There are good looking and less good looking people everywhere, boring and exciting people everywhere, people who read and do not read everywhere. I find it hilarious that you complain that Americans can't speak a second language, yet you lived there for years and your English is marginal.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2006 11:01:21 AM PST
Hilary says:
Thank you. I speak four different languages and I am American. I will not be swept up into generalizations.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2006 8:04:37 AM PST
A. Jean says:
wow. you're just pathetic. But at least you understand how all of America and France sees themselves, because I guess they don't.

This has given me quite a laugh. If I met you in real life I'd have fun with my french.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2006 12:30:33 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 28, 2006 1:03:56 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2007 8:52:58 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 1, 2007 10:33:05 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2007 11:50:05 PM PDT
I've read this entire posting now, and I find that I'm very upset with both sides of the argument. I myself am American, an American from the South. Southerners like to fry things and cook with lots of butter. Just watch Paula Deen, you'll figure it out quickly. We're some of the biggest culprits in obesity in the world. However, there's a reason that we're known for our general friendliness and charm instead of our "unattractiveness" that you would say is due to that extra weight. We love to live. I've known many other Americans from across the country who also have charm and grace. Yes, there are many unintelligent people who are wrapped up in their own lives. So what. There are also smart, cultured people here too. It's like in other place in the world.

I'm not trying necessarily to change your mind Hatami or any other anti-American's mind on the matter. But I must tell you that I've met many many French people. Some of my dear friends have been French. And guess what, I speak French quite fluently. I've been taught by teachers from France since I was 10. (I'm 21 now). They've all been perfectly nice and charming. Each in his or her own way a perfect representation of your culture. They all have broken the stereotype of rude, obnoxious French people. You, however, are the first example I've found who fits it.

I could write a lengthy essay on the reasons for the difference in our cultures. In fact I could probably write my thesis for it. Yes, I go to university. Suprised? I'm actually majoring in international relations, with a focus on cultural communication. In fact from my poor rural high school where you wouldn't expect intelligent people to be, only 10 out of 300 didn't continue on to college after graduating from high school.

I don't approve of bashing other cultures as the originator of this post did. That was highly unwarranted. However, you have, by your respons alone, made me want to reevaluate how I look at the French culture. Should I begin to believe that the French men and women I've met are the exceptions and you are the rule?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2007 4:30:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 1, 2007 10:33:33 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2007 6:47:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2007 6:49:52 PM PDT
Oregongirl,

Since you've taken it upon yourself to play the judge here, you might as well be thorough and check your own comments while you're at it.

That you call attention a previous post of mine that was deleted by Amazon --of course, without also noting the ad hominem attack on me from Marie-lise Arsenault for which the deleted post was simply a rebuttal in kind-- and call it "snottier," epitomizes the timeworn pot calling the kettle black.

Your dismissive remark that I'm "just a marine" doesn't bother me; it ultimately only reflects back on you. Where I do lose the humor and tolerance for your smug attitude, however, is when you insult the women in my life. Lady, you know next to nothing about me, and even less about the "self-esteem" or "education" of the women I know, or have known. Those women I hold most dear (my mother and aunts, my sister, and especially my beautiful wife), have had to face and overcome challenges to their lives that would break lesser women.

You want to attack me? Attack away! Only keep your very own baseless assumptions in mind before you self-righteously criticze others.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2007 2:29:50 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 1, 2007 10:34:47 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2007 12:42:05 PM PDT
Oregongirl says:
Please name your sources for your original post. It would help prove up your claim, and posters wouldn't be making faulty assumptions (as you are claiming).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  26
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Apr 27, 2006
Latest post:  Jan 26, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure
French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure by Mireille Guiliano (Paperback - September 14, 2006)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (625)