Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 17, 2012
The original What to Cook & How to Cook It is great, and this is more of the same. In terms of recipes, I think I like the first book better, but this one still has plenty of recipes that I am interested in. In this book Hornby has a few more sections than in the first, on things like grilling and picnic recipes. As with the first book, there are tons of pictures, including one for each step of a recipe. The instructions are simple and clear, and the recipes range from easy to slightly more difficult. All in all, an excellent book. I hope Hornby writes another.
on June 19, 2012
Easy to follow. Delicious, sophisticated recipes--all of which are manageably tackled by even the most novice chef. Cooking techniques in the back of the book.

Everything has step-by-step photos; including an overhead shot of what all of the ingredients look like laid out on a counter. Some deep-seeded OCD side of me loves this, but moreover it gives you a good "scale" of what you'll need for the recipe, and what to look for in the store.

Must-buy for food lovers.
on September 14, 2012
Honestly I find that most recipes I use don't work or are slightly off. Everything I have made from this book has not only worked perfectly but tasted delicious, my husband brags that it's the best gift he has ever given me because he's able to eat all my creations. I think the book is beautiful to display and the pictures are so helpful. I would recommend this to anyone.
on November 21, 2012
I wanted to learn to cook.

Yes, I think this is a fair statement. I chose this cookbook becasue the title was simple- Fresh and Easy....The book is beautiful and hosts a variety of recipies that will help you to figure out what to do with all of those veggies you picked up at the farmers market.

For a girl who takes directions too literally- this book has lots of pictures-so I can ensure that I am really doing it right.
on June 13, 2013
I very rarely ever write a review for something, it has to be either extremely special or amazingly bad for me to post a review. However this book is in a word is awesome and I'll try and keep this short as I'd love it and could rave on forever about it.

I consider myself a pretty decent and experienced cook and a fan of clean eating only using fresh ingredients and herbs from my garden, avoiding where possible anything that is processed and full of preservatives and chemicals. This book is pretty much uses the same principles. The instructions and excellent pictures are really easy to follow and accommodates for a novice to an experienced cook whith pleanty of great tips or alternative ingredient ideas.

My wife brought it for me as a present to add to my collection and has become my new favourite. I've cooked about a dozen recipes over the last few weeks since getting it and everyone of them has been a knockout with great fresh flavours. In parts, it reminds me of Jamie Oliver 'style' cooking so if you like his food I'm sure you'll love this too. You can tell which of my cook books I really like and use alot by the amount of (accidental) food and drink stains there are on the pages and this rookie in a short time fame this has quickly suffered a few battle scars and proudly sits along side my favourite, well used and trusted cook books. Right now I'm just loving the fresh flavour and texture in the dishes tried so far and also has given me lots of inspirational ideas to try out later.

I've recently ordered a second copy to give to my dad, who could just about burn water, and who has stated for ages now that he wants to get into cooking and I believe this a perfect starting point for him. Like part of the title its 'easy' but easy and simple can still be something special that tastes great. I really cant recommend it enough and plan to get at least one more Jane Hornby recipe book ASAP. I truly love food and cooking and hope this helps if you're on the fence if you should buy this book or not. Cheers and good cooking!
on February 2, 2016
Cookbook addict here! Generally the Amazon reviews are my go-to source that aid buying decisions. I read a few reviews that said Fresh & Easy is too simplistic; that the recipes were bland and boring, for the inexperienced cook just learning. And I have to ask ... are we looking at the same book? As a seasoned home cook and food blogger (Who Moved My Coconut Oil), I LOVE everything about this book, the formatting, the beautiful instructional photos AND the creative delicious recipes using typical easy to find "fresh" ingredients. I mean, the Tarragon Chicken on page 150, its 'cuisine' that is easy enough for any day of the week. One of my tests in choosing a great cookbook is to thumb through it and find at least five things I would absolutely make. If those first five dishes are things not of my taste, it stays on the shelf. But let me be honest with you ... I have yet to see one recipe that I would not make and thoroughly enjoy. Okay, maybe I'd switch out pork for other meat - but every recipe is so appealing and delicious. I can't wait to try every single one of them.

TOTALLY LOVE THIS BOOK. So much so that I ordered both What to Bake, and the original What to Cook. I can't wait for them to arrive.
on July 5, 2012
Love this book! My faves are the Chicken Waldorf Salad, Pasta with Zucchini, Peas and Lemon, and Blueberry and Cream Cheese Muffins. It is a perfect book for cooking in the summer when you don't want any heavy food. And, the recipes are so easy to follow. Buy it!
on March 6, 2013
I saw this book at a major department store and was tempted to buy it there. I was drawn to the bright colors and wonderful "how-to" pictures in the book. I decided to look for it on Amazon and found it for nearly 1/2 of the price than what the department store was selling it for. I love the pictures. It helps me to know what the step/food is supposed to look like as I go through the cooking process. Plus it is always easier to decide what to eat by seeing what the finished product looks like. I find myself thinking, "That looks good, I will make that tonight for dinner." The pictures really help sell the book.
on June 26, 2014
I have really enjoyed this little book. It has pictures that show you step by step how to cook some foods. I have referred to it several times in the last month. It is a large book and easy to read.
on January 23, 2013
Jane Hornby delivers again. This is a great follow-up to her first "What to Cook and How to Cook It." Love the step by step pictures of preparation to finished product.