4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the one of the best containers for baby food.
Since I make our baby food at home and we travel a lot I was looking for containers that were safe for baby and would withstand the perils of travel. I looked around for baby food containers, even bought the Baby CubesTM 2 Oz. containers, but these came out as the winner.

Why you want these:
1. The screw on lids are great. They stay put on the bumpiest...
Published on June 7, 2010 by A. Rowbotham

1.0 out of 5 stars Try This Instead...
Published on September 25, 2010 by Georgina

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the one of the best containers for baby food., June 7, 2010
This review is from: Fresh N Freeze 2 oz. Reusable Baby Food Containers 12-Pack (Baby Product)

Why you want these:
1. The screw on lids are great. They stay put on the bumpiest rides so there are no spills, plus it seals in the freshness.
2. BPA free so you know its safe for baby, even if you want to pop it in the microwave.
3. Great size. The 2oz mark is ideal for any baby. Use only once container of food if you baby is smaller, more than one if baby (and her appetite) is growing.
4. You can use these to make fruit pops once baby has outgrown baby food. Just fill with pureed fruit, stick an ice cream stick in the center, cut place holders to keep the sticks in place from cardboard and freeze for a healthy and delicious snack.
5. You get 12 containers for a little under $10. One of the better priced products out there.

Why it looses a star:
1. Watch where you keep these in the freezer. If they drop out when they are full and frozen, they crack/break.
2. If you cross the 2oz mark when filling these, your food will expand when frozen and the lid will open in the freezer.
3. Not eligible for Super Free Shipping. How much you pay for shipping will depend on where you live.

Tips:
1. The best place to keep these are in the freezer door. That way they are at the right temperature and they will not fall and break when you open your freezer.
2. If you intend to make all your baby food at home, save these for when you travel. For use at home, make your food in bulk and use your ice trays to freeze them. When frozen, pop them out and store in a Zip lock bag. Otherwise you will need about 40 containers just to store 2 types of baby food for two weeks.
3. When stacking, make sure you pop these together when they are not frozen. They don't sit together well if they are frozen. They sit together fine even if they are cold just not frozen.
4. If you must feed baby in the car and are worried about spilling, you can use the lid as a base (pop the container into the lid) so that you have a wider base and the container will not tip over as easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Homemade Babyfood Storage Out There, February 1, 2010
One main feature sets this set above all the rest - they are SCREW tops, not pop tops like the others. Pop tops will make nothing but messes when they pop open unexpectedly. I pull a serving out of my freezer in the morning, throw it my diaper bag with a baby spoon, and off I go. The screw tops keep my puree securely in the jar, so they never burst open in my bag like the pop tops. I highly recommend these to any parents who are making their own baby food.

1.0 out of 5 stars Try This Instead..., September 25, 2010
I purchased these on a different website to avoid paying the outrageous shipping costs. I had many of the similar problems that others have talked about here. I do a lot of canning, freezing, buying bulk, etc. I used freezer jam jars for jams and thought it would work great for my little one. What I would recommend especially as baby eats more and more is Ball Freezer Jam containers. They are similar to this product but 8oz size, a whole lot cheaper, stackable, and can be found on Amazon or in a local grocery store. All of their plastic jars and containers are BPA-free plastic and are dishwasher safe on the top-rack.

Jars are stackable and lock together for a tidy freezer
Twist on lids seal in the freshness and prevent leaking
Freezer safe - straight jar sides allow for food expansion during freezing

Ball Plastic 8-Ounce Freezer Jars, 5 Pack

Also, instead of any specialized baby food mills, just get an immersion blender (aka burr stick). It is multi use in the kitchen (can make salad dressings, hummus, etc.) and makes great purees! Amazon has very good price.

Cuisinart CSB-76BC SmartStick 200-Watt Immersion Hand Blender, Brushed Chrome

Join Amazon Mom: http://www.amazon.com/gp/mom/signup/welcome

2.0 out of 5 stars Cute but..., May 13, 2010
I bought these containers after a long search all over the Internet and reading a lot of reviews. I'm a stay-home mom, who likes to cook in general and especially for my baby. Plus I considered benefits of using only organic products and fresh-made food.
The first negative impression came with the shipping costs. They were huge. Shipping to Alaska cost me twice the price of containers themselves! When the box arrived, I discovered that small box with what I actually bought was packed in a quite big mailing box which included a bunch of ads from One Step Ahead. So I paid for commercials and air being shipped to me!
But it's about service. Let's talk about the product itself. Containers are tiny. Really tiny. They look cute, but they do not hold much. I've been cooking for my son since he was 5 months old. Now he is 8 m/o and he eats food from 2 containers at once. Which means that 12 containers hold food only for 6 meals, or 2 days. Are you ready to cook so often?
Another negative things:
1. in the freezer (probably because material shrinks... who remembers physics?) they do not stay stacked. One occasional hand wave and they fall down.
2. also when cold, they become very fragile. I already got one container broken (rolled out from a freezer as I described above, fell on the hardwood floor and cracked)
3. when cold, lids do not fit tightly. So, there is a high chance to have a mess all over your kitchen if it accidentally falls down. It happened to me twice during 3 months. Now I always check lids after I move a container from freezer to fridge.

So, my conclusion is there are other more attractive options (both for a price and quality).

1.0 out of 5 stars #3 Plastic, June 29, 2011
While these may be BPA Free they have other contaminants and are made of #3 plastic (indicated on the bottom of each cup) which is on the "Lose It" list;

#3 PVC (polyvinyl chloride, vinyl), releases carcinogenic dioxins during manufacturing and can leach hormone-disrupting phthalate plasticizers. PVC is used in many cling and stretch food wraps and films.

They also pop open in the freezer even when not even half full and expose the baby food to freezer burn and other contaminates. The safest way to go seems to be pricier glass containers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, February 7, 2010
These containers are awesome! It is by far the best baby food storage system I could find. I tested those containers for leakage by putting some water in ... they leaked. However, I doubt any pure-like consistency would. After all, it is not meant for carrying liquids. So I gave it five stars for elegancy and convenience of its design. Oh, and it is BPA and phthalate free.

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes life easier!, January 13, 2011
Kat Poppins (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I really wrestled with whether to give these a 4 or 5 star. These little containers are nearly perfect.

First the nit-picky stuff:

*The first thing I did when I got them was wash them by hand. I filled them with soapy water and shook them....and water sprayed out from under the lid with each one. The lids do screw on pretty snug BUT are not water tight, which gives me concerns that the frost which forms on top of the food inside the container *might* melt and leak out while in my diaper bag. However, just place the container in a zippy or a plastic lined pocket in your diaper bag with nothing else, and really what's the problem? (btw- No actual food has, nor do I think would, leak out. I shook them twice to test them. Once after filling them with fresh pureed sweet potato and once after filling them with a loose sweet potato & rice cereal mix and nothing leaked.)

*The lids can sometimes take a couple tries to screw on right. Not really a big deal, though.

*The tray is actually about 1/8-1/4" too wide to fit my OLD freezer door and I don't have shelves in my freezer except where the ice trays go, so I don't actually use the tray that comes with them for storing right now. I just take them off and line them up on the ice cube shelf. However I do use the tray when I'm making the food and putting it in the containers.

*The tray is a little more flexy than you might want so they do unsnap from that just a little easier (although after reading other reviews, maybe I just don't push down hard enough), but really, it's still very satisfactory. Once they are on the shelf the tray isn't going to flex, after all, just maybe when you're holding it one handed to transfer it. So just be careful not to flex it and you're fine. Really a non-issue. Just a nit pic.

*Depending on how much food you want to store at one time, you may need more than one 12 pack. (I'm planning to by at least one more set.)

As a side note, I can see where some people might want a place to label the containers, but I personally wouldn't use that feature (just another step to add to the process & I go through food too quickly for it to really be necessary or helpful).

Now for the great features:

*They are marked with 1oz & 2oz fill lines as well as 20, 40, & 60 ml fill lines. This takes the guess work out of deciding how much to fill each container. (However, as others have noted, the markings ARE clear and can be a bit tricky to see when filled with food.)

*Personally, I like the size. My 7 month old is only just starting solids and eats about 2oz of semi-solids at each meal, HOWEVER, 2 of those ounces are rice cereal, so I'm only freezing 1 ounce per container if I just freeze the puree. (I have also frozen a mixture of puree & pre-moistened rice cereal with great success in 2oz portions.) Why would I use a 6oz container (as some other reviewers have suggested) when 4 of those ounces are air and the thing is eating up precious freezer and diaper bag space? That said, when my baby gets to eating more than 1 of these containers per meal I could switch to a larger size OR I could take advantage of the pre-measured portions to add variety & a wider range of nutrition to his diet. For example, why not serve one 2oz container of peas, one 2oz container of apple, and one 2oz container of pureed chicken? Then you've got your 6oz but baby's nutritional sources are more varied.

*They are VERY easy to wash and so far haven't stained when warmed in the microwave (I've done sweet potatoes & banana so far).

*They SNAP TOGETHER!!! I LOVE this feature! And when I say snap together, I mean you can actually hang the things upside down with food in them and they won't unsnap! I've done it! This means no tiny little containers getting bumped and rolling around inside the freezer or refrigerator!

*They are clear so it's easy to see what and how much you have stored inside.

*They are dishwasher AND microwave safe! Hello! Talk about convenient!

*The price is pretty reasonable. Especially when you take into consideration that they can be used for multiple purposes. SO much easier than the ice cube tray method where you first have to freeze the food in the ice cube tray, then pry it out and put it in a freezer zippy, then get it out of the zippy and put it into a serving dish. What a pain and so much wasted time washing and transferring! With these containers you just fill, freeze, store, transport, & serve them all in the same container! All you need is a spoon!

FYI: 1)Keeping expansion in mind, I was careful not to fill pass the 2oz line and none of my lids came off during freezing. 2)I have not dropped any yet so cannot attest to their breaking, but plan to be careful with mine after reading other reviews.

In case you haven't guessed it, I LOVE the Stay-Fresh Reusable Baby Food Containers 12-Pack. In fact, I plan to order one or two more sets. (I only ordered one set the first time around & have had it for about 2 weeks now.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so great..., June 22, 2010
Good for short-term food storage in fridge but lids pop open when containers stored in freezer. Containers also crack easily if frozen and dropped on floor. I do like the fact that they are BPA free however there are better products out there.

I purchased the "Baby Cubes" 2 Oz. Baby Food Storage Containers by Juvenile Solutions which in my opinion are a much better product. They do not contain Phthalates, Bisphenol-A, or PVC, do not crack, freeze much better and are less expensive: Baby Cubes 2 oz.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just ok, April 24, 2010
These are just ok, they stack nicely and the lids are a decently tight fit. But they're too small once you get past the starter foods stage for the trouble they take to fill them. It's easier to pour purees into an ice cube tray freeze the tray and put the cubes in a zippered freezer bag. Also, if you happen to drop these from the top shelf of your freezer with frozen food in them, they crack. I accidentally knocked two of them out one day when the ice maker was having a problem and both of them cracked. One had to go to the recycle bin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby not required, March 2, 2010
I don't even have a baby. I bought these for the juice I make from lemons and limes (purchased in quantity from my warehouse club)...I juice the fruit and save it in these containers to use for cooking and cocktails.
The best thing about these containers is that all the pieces snap together; you can actually transport the whole tray to the freezer without fear of dropping any of the pieces. The caps screw on to preserve the quality of the contents.
These are so terrific that I'm ordering a second set.