4.0 out of 5 stars Diet Food With Flavor!
Published 23 months ago by Lindsey

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much sodium
Published 19 months ago by Annie McQuilken

4.0 out of 5 stars Diet Food With Flavor!, December 15, 2012
This review is from: Fresh and Healthy DASH Diet Cooking: 101 Delicious Recipes for Lowering Blood Pressure, Losing Weight and Feeling Great (Paperback)
I just love cookbooks! It's so hard to come up with new recipes so it's great to have resources, especially healthy ones! This cookbook focuses on food that will help lower blood pressure and lose weight. I love recipes that are more than just weight control but actually make you healthier too. There is far too much emphasis in our country on weight and not enough on healthy ways to maintain it while also being healthy all around.

Now anytime I see the word "Diet" in something, I typically reject it immediately. I don't drink Diet soda and I don't go on diets. Why? Because I LIKE flavor! I'm not willing to sacrifice it just to stay healthier. I'm glad there are recipes out there for someone like me where I don't have to choose between flavor and healthy.

There are a few things I immediately liked about this book having nothing to do with the food. I love that the pages are smooth and can be wiped clean. Why aren't all cookbooks like that? I have several in normal paper where food got stuck and stained them. Yuck! It also has the lay flat binding. This is awesome for a cookbook! You don't want it to keep closing on you or have to use the old trick of putting something on it to keep it open.

Another thing I appreciate that is purely cosmetic is the picture of the foods! It's so important in cookbooks! I see something appealing I want to make before I read it! If a picture makes my mouth water, I'd say it's a good advertisement for the food.

There are three things at the bottom of each recipe that are amazingly helpful! The "Dash" part gives you information about what a good healthy substitute is and other tips like what vitamins are in it. The "shopping tip" has great little ideas about how to shop better and in ways that make more sense. The "Nutrition" section gives you more than the expected calorie count but also includes carbs, protein, fiber, fat and sodium. These are great tools to help you from beginning to end with your recipe!

I decided to try out the banana bread because it's a favorite of the kids and mine. The "dash" in this one was using maple syrup instead of sugar. How good does that sound? Unfortunately, it is left off of the instructions. Luckily I always go back and double -check the ingredients to make sure I didn't forget anything and saw the syrup was listed. I put it in at the end since it was missed. However, this did not impact the taste! It was amazing! I love maple syrup and will forever make my banana bread this way from now on! It helps to know I'm serving my kids something nutritional too because they always asks for seconds and thirds!

The gift of health is an amazing present so be sure to pick this up for your loved ones this Christmas!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much sodium, April 8, 2013
I purchased this because my husband was diagnosed with hypertension and his doctor told us to try the DASH diet to reduce sodium. The first recipe I tried called for 1/4 tsp Kosher salt, and then says to "season" the chicken with salt and pepper. The recipe says it has 376 mg. A low-sodium serving is supposed to be under 140 mg! So I thought perhaps I was just unlucky, and checked the rest of the chicken recipes. 560mg, 447 mg,612mg, 502 mg, etc. Every single one calls for adding kosher salt. This might be a good weight-loss recipe book, but it is definitely NOT the DASH diet!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy, realistic eating, December 28, 2012
The first thing I always do when I pick up a cookbook is do a brief flip through and look for pictures. I love to see bold colors and mouth watering photos of the recipes included in the book and this cookbook has tons. There is a brief introduction to the cookbook that describes what the DASH diet actually is. I don't usually follow specific `diets' but this one is really common sense. Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, low fat proteins and dairy, whole grains and what I call `real' food. This cookbook aims to improve your health by showing you that simple foods can be incredibly tasty without a lot of fat, salt, or artificial ingredients. The author includes a section on `getting started' to help you understand serving sizes and realistic suggestions on how to replace your current NOT so healthy foods with ingredients that are better for you. It is nice that the author doesn't expect you do jump in 100% on day one since that isn't realistic. She recommends small changes over time for better results.

The recipes themselves are divided into simple categories like appetizers, salads, pasta, fish, deserts, etc. There is a section called `vegetarian' which is nice to help encourage people to reduce their overall meat consumption. There is additional information on most of the recipes that include things like nutrition, shopping dips and a little DASH diet tidbit that relates to the recipe. I like that the recipes include ingredients that are easy to find in most major grocery stores. I don't always have time to run to a specialty store to find odd ingredients just to make dinner. The ingredients are simple, as are the directions although there is a nice range of recipe types. There are some you would call simple family cooking and others that are a little bit more exotic if you wanted to have company.

Overall, I think if you are interested in healthy eating, eating a more natural diet, and getting healthier I think this cookbook will really come in handy.

Disclaimer: I received one copy of this book at no charge to facilitate my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Read, February 11, 2013
Ms. Adams (McLean, VA United States) - See all my reviews
Easy to follow recipes. Great pictures which should help those who need a little extra guidance in the kitchen. I bought this book as a compliment to the Dash Weight Loss Solution book. I find this book much for helpful and intuitive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 8, 2014
Virginia Grant (Arlington, Ma United States) - See all my reviews
I am gload I own this book

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, April 25, 2013
I bought this book because my husband wanted to lower his blood pressure to keep from taking blood pressure medication. We have been using it several months and his blood pressure is slowly coming down. The information is easy to follow, the recipes are fun if a little bland ,even with the additional spices,

5.0 out of 5 stars New life, April 22, 2013
This book is going to change our life. A new way of eating, easy to follow. Will enjoy these solutions to healthy eating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, April 17, 2013
I only buy cookbooks with pictures of the finished product - I need the visual. Anyway, this cookbook has pics for most of the recipes and so far my family has enjoyed the recipes I have tried. So, this is a helpful tool in my efforts to help my family adopt a more healthful lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Outlook, March 19, 2013
Love this cookbook, along with the DASH plan itself. It complements the other book to begin a journey of lifelong healthy eating. I even have been able to get my picky husband to start eating better because of the recipes in this book. It is great! And I have lost weight. Hope to remove all medications from my life by sticking to this plan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and Healthy, January 17, 2013
I have a lot of cookbooks on my shelf each with their own place in my world of cooking. This cookbook spans two of those niches...delicious and healthy. The recipes in this book are really good--blackened cat fish tacos! Zucchini Pesto with Capellini,Pork Tenderloin with Orange and Fennel Relish! These are sophisticated and delicious recipes that maintain the DASH diet so they are nutritious as well. The photos are beautiful and highlight some really tasty recipes. I highly recommend this cookbook to anyone who enjoys eating but also wants to make the right choices in what foods they put in their bodies.

$17.95 $11.99