5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, Elegant, Accessible
I spied this book online a few months ago and was eager for its release (today, 8/25/09). Of course, I bought my copy this morning and immediately went to the grocery store for ingredients!

Published on August 25, 2009 by j.s.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical mexican food
If you want to learn to make your favorite Mexican food from your favorite restaurant, THIS IS NOT THE BOOK FOR YOU. Marcella offers recipes for Duck burritos, Arbol chile infused couscous with dates and oranges(really?), Gnocchi with sage butter, Ancho and pine nut rice, Golden beet carpaccio with gorgonzola. The list goes on and on. I can count on one hand the number...
Published on February 3, 2012 by David R. Demarais

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, Elegant, Accessible, August 25, 2009
j.s. "mr z" (Bloomington, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fresh Mexico: 100 Simple Recipes for True Mexican Flavor (Paperback)

To my delight, these recipes seem authentic without being completely impossible. For example, the author calls for Mexican Ibarra chocolate in her mole sauce...but explains that you can substitute semisweet chocolate with 2 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon and a little almond extract. These "tips" and substitutions are great because sometimes the grocery store doesn't have a wide variety of foreign foods.

While some of these recipes seem authentic, there are also some delicious looking "fusion" recipes. I am especially excited for the pine nut and pomegranite juice brittle (think Mexican trail mix) and cheese-stuffed jalapenos in puff pastry. Yumm!

The book itself is very beautiful to look at. The bright hues look great against the colorful pictures and savory recipes. There are appetizers, soups, salads, entrees, sides, salsas, and desserts.

This book is so outstanding because it isn't simply enchilada and flan recipes. We've seen those before! While there are some traditional recipes, there are many exciting "fusion" ideas too. I love the emphasis on FRESH ingredients (as the title hints) and easy to find items.

Recommended to fans of Mexican cuisine and those looking to transform their traditional recipes into something healthful, innovative, and delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT Book, September 21, 2009
Barthbill (lowse ahnhaylayse) - See all my reviews
We checked this out from the library, with the idea of copying a few recipes.

HA!

After the first three or four recipes, we knew we had to buy the book.

However, my wife had to copy one recipe so we could have it that night. She couldn't wait for the book to come.

It came, and so far, everything we have made from it is terrific and healthy. Many of her recipes are replacing our favorite recipes from way back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!!!!!!, August 28, 2009
I got the book today and I skimmed over the recipies. I am not only in LOVE with the book but also an absolute fan of Chef Marcela. I truly love the fact that these are easy, straight-to-the-point- and simple to follow recipies. In addition, being Mexican, I am able to identify the authenticity and innovation in each and every single page of the book. These are traditional recipies "with a modern kick". I can't wait to try every recepie in the book! This is a MUST HAVE in your book shelf!!!!!!!!! Way to go Chelis!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT!!!!, August 31, 2009
G. Funcke (Tjuana Mexico) - See all my reviews
I LOVED this book!!! I am mexican and it has so many taditional authentic recipes that I grew up eating at my home as well as many original innovative recipes that look so delicious, I have read every single recipe and they are so easy to follow and to make. I have also had the opportunity to try Chef Marcela's food at parties she has catered in the past and it is VERY GOOD!!! I am so glad she shared all these wonderful recipes!!! If you want authentic mexican taste that is easy to make!!! BUY FRESH MEXICO!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Mexico indeed!!, August 30, 2009
M. Romero (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
Many of my friends are talking about this new book and I got to say that they are right...this is certainly a wonderful cookbook!!

The recipes are written so clearly, step-by-step, they are practical and Chef Marcela provides additional helpful hints, substitutions and recommendations that I'm willing to give them a try even when I'm a stranger to the kitchen! Creamed rajas, avocado soup, can wait! I'm all inspired!!

I also enjoyed the additional information provided regarding Mexican food (i.e. there is no yellow cheese in real Mexican food!), culinary experiences growing up between Tiuana and San Diego, and professional pictures!

This cookbook is definitely a great addition to any kitchen open to experience fabulous Mexican food!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Authentic Mexican Recipes, August 30, 2009
This is by far the best Authentic Mexican Recipes cookbook I've ever come across; it has been a Joy to read and to cook the recipes. And I should know...my family has been collecting cookbooks for generations. I love the combination of the very classic food and fusion recipes. The photos are appealing, the variety is very good, the recipes are step by step. I have recommended this book to friends and family and plan to give it as gifts (perfect gift for a Holiday occasion)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellente y delicioso!, August 29, 2009
I've been waiting for a cook book just like this. If you love south of the border cuisine, but wish for recipes on the lighter side and easy to prepare, this is a perfect cookbook. The recipes are simple fresh ingredients readily available and if not, she conveniently provides subsitutes. The pictures are beautiful and very helpful for an amateur like me.

Today I'm going to try the cold avocado soup, game hens with apricot and tequila and the guava layer cake with cream cheese frosting! Beautiful cook.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, November 3, 2009
Susan W. Shepard (Redwood City, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The recipes are easy to follow, the ingredients easy to find and the results are delicious-and my family usually not fans of Mexican food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have book, November 27, 2009
This is a great book. My husband saw a recipe on television from this book, asked me to find it and I went to Amazon - of course. I ordered it and looking through the pages - WOW great recipes - easy and tasty - would highly recommend this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, December 28, 2012
Very good cook book. The recipes are original (to my family) and easy to prepare. I only wish it had pictures for all the recipes.

Fresh Mexico: 100 Simple Recipes for True Mexican Flavor
Fresh Mexico: 100 Simple Recipes for True Mexican Flavor by Marcela Valladolid (Paperback - August 25, 2009)
$22.50 $15.45