5.0 out of 5 stars I now <3 my slow cooker!
I've had my slow cooker for about 5 years, and I never used it to make anything except vegan chili and some applesauce. It seemed to me to be a waste of cupboard space...until now. I have attempted to use other vegan slow cooker books, but with no success. Recipes always failed. I'm not sure it it was lack of recipe testing or what. Ms. Robertson's book has yielded...
Published 22 months ago by R. Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Review for the Kindle version
I'm a slow cooker newbie (with previous disasters to boot), but I have to say I'm impressed with the recipes in here. They're well laid out and easy to follow and I like the introduction which sort of works as a 'beginners how-to'.

Published 20 months ago by freeze-dried

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully life-simplifying!, January 20, 2013
This review is from: Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker: 200 Ultra-Convenient, Super-Tasty, Completely Animal-Free Recipes (Paperback)
Roughly three weeks ago, we received this awesome book. I recently started back to school after a 5 year hiatus, and was worried about providing at least a few hot meals for my husband each week, as well as having leftovers for both of our work lunches.
He and I both LOVE the recipes we've tried so far! Our crock pot has been running almost non-stop since last Monday. Every day we make something in it, whether beans, soups, jumbalaya, a CAKE (never saw that one coming!)!
What sold me on this cookbook over others with similar points? The cooking times. I looked at another vegan slow cooker book, and the cook times were 2-4 hours on average, at low temps. Considering my work days are 8-10 hrs, plus 3 hr classes several nights each week, I needed some recipes that could cook for 6-8 hours at least. With the longer cook times and less prepwork on the stovetop, its easy for either my husband or I to throw something together before work that morning, and he has a hot meal when he returns from work! Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Healthy, March 4, 2014
I became a vegan for health and ethical reasons in January. There are a plethora of vegan cookbooks out there, most, disappointingly only superficially healthy - they simply replace the standard white sugar, white flour, butter, etc. with brown sugar, agave nectar & honey, butter with vegan margarine, and meat with processed soy foods.

This cookbook, on the other hand, utilizes the nutrient-rich greens, vegetables, and fruits promoted by such nutrition and health authorities as Dr. Joel Fuhrman ("Eat for Health" - highly recommended for the how's, why's and what's of American eating habits and how to change them for the better). I made a pot of her "Kale and Cannellini Bean Soup" yesterday, and it just makes me feel so nourished and good about eating. My husband, who has really cut back on animal products (eggs, butter, dairy, red meat, fish) thinks the food I've been making is super tasty and makes him feel healthier. The preparation is easy, the recipes easy to follow. There are no pictures here, but I don't miss them at all. Very good cookbook, highly recommended. If you're interested in learning more about veganism and eating healthy foods, I also suggest to you Victoria Moran's "Main Street Vegan" and Kathy Hester's "The Great Vegan Bean Book."

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty foods, but could be slightly better, February 4, 2013
Well I've had the cookbook for a bit now and have had a chance to try many of the recipes. One of my fears was that since they all use the slow cooker that they wouldn't actually be very good. Every one that I have tried has been good. The worst individual recipe I've tried I'd give a 3-star too. I've yet to try anything that I'd say was simply great and will become a mainstay in my kitchen.

As for the actual recipes, they are well written and concise. Most of them do require varying amounts of prep time or pre-cooking. Most frequently pre-cooking is for things like onions that need to go in a pan for a few minutes before placing them into the slow cooker. I don't mind doing prep work like that, especially since it makes the ultimate meal better. But some people think 'slow cooker' means just throw it into the pot without any prep work and they just hate it when a slow cooker recipe calls for a little pre-cooking.

The author indicates which recipes are soy or gluten free, and where appropriate offers ways to make them such. All in all it's one of the best slow cooker vegetarian/vegan cookbooks I've seen. The only thing it lacked which could have made it a 5-star book was its complete lack of any nutritional information beyond the soy/gluten notices.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great companion to "Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker", December 2, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I first heard of Robin Robertson from her yuba-wrapped vegetarian haggis in Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are. Now Robin has released a slow-cooker book catering to vegans, but you certainly don't have to be vegan (or even vegetarian!) to enjoy it. You'll find many surprising and tasty international influences within, like Vietnamese pho, three-bean cholent, Moroccan tempeh and chickpeas with prunes and apricots, French cassoulets, Greek beans, Latin updates (chimichurri spaghetti squash, layered tamale pie, seitan ropa vieja) and even a touch of soul food.

If you're new to slow cookers, you'll find a handy chapter on slow cooker basics, including crockery care caveats (say that three times fast!), slow cooker points and pointers, tips for slow-cooking success, timing factors, and an in-depth look at ingredients (beans, packaged meat alternatives, vegan thickeners, etc.). Recipes are labeled whether there is a gluten- and/or soy-free option; however, no nutritional info is provided.

Like her previous slow-cooker book (and those by other authors like Michele Scicolone), you will find many recipes that recommend sauteeing veggies and/or spices in a skillet before adding them to the slow cooker. Yes, this results in extra pots and pans and prep time, but it adds a whole other layer of flavor to the finished dish.

I tried several dishes, including the layered tapenade potatoes, slow-cooker pho, and the piña colada cake (which I baked up in muffin tins instead of cake form).

*The layered tapenade potatoes had a great depth of flavor from the combination of the olives (I used kalamata instead of green), sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts and capers; this would be good on its own as a dip. I like lots of crunchy topping, so I added extra toasted panko (the recipe only calls for 3 tablespoons).

* The pho had a rich, spicy broth made with whole star anise and cloves (I used Bouquet Garni Bags for easier removal). I also used a different kind of miso that I had on hand. This would make a great breakfast soup on its own without the rice noodles, much like miso is served in Japan.

*Finally, I tried the piña colada cake, which is rich with three types of coconut (shredded unsweetened, coconut extract, and cream of coconut), a splash of dark rum, and pineapple chunks and juice. These baked up super-moist, and I added additional shredded coconut after applying the glaze.

One thing to note: the bean recipes call for precooked beans, either canned or homemade, so make sure you have some form of cooked beans on hand before starting the recipes. One of the few recipes that calls for dried beans is the three-bean cholent, which has a recommended cooking time of 8 to 11.5 hours or overnight.

I've already bookmarked many other recipes to try (the ribollita is next on my list). I particularly liked the breakfast and dessert chapters, which feature cakes, bread pudding, and breads. The hot sangria from the hot drinks chapter will also be in frequent rotation, and you'll find plenty of appetizing nibbles to serve with the various punches (spiced rum punch, celebration punch, blushing spiced cider). There is sufficient variety and dishes to suit every taste to keep you happily coming back to Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just the basics!, October 22, 2012
Lea Jacobson (chagrin falls, OH) - See all my reviews
I must admit that I was a bit skeptical about what you could really do with a slow cooker other than soups and stews. But this book opened my eyes! When testing recipes for the book, some of my favorites were the cakes~ Chocolate Truffle Cake and Pina Colada Cake!
The Creamy Polenta was the best I've had. And the Layered Tapenade Potatoes were delicious! There are soups too- like the Carmelized Onion Soup. And I can't wait to try some of the bean recipes such as the Crockery Cassoulet.
You'll be surprised by the things you can do with your slow cooker - so get the book and go get started!

3.0 out of 5 stars Review for the Kindle version, December 14, 2012

My big complaint however is that the kindle version is different from (slightly older than, maybe?) the print version and it is missing a few recipes. For instance, I was looking forward to the crockpot pizza, which is entirely absent from the kindle version of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recipes that satisfy the soul......, October 25, 2012
Kiwi (...outside the norm...) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Whenever I get a cookbook in my hands, I'm involved for hours on end just looking through all the recipes and all the new and interesting twists the authors come up with.... it's exciting to learn new ways for old tastes. Robin does a good job with her books and she helped teach me how to become vegan years ago without starving myself to death. She doesn't usually add photos to her books which everyone loves, but she has appealing recipes which taste great and fill the void of hunger. One thing about vegan or raw food/plant based recipes is the long, long list of ingredients. This is always daunting but after a while you learn it's not so difficult once you have all the stuff in the house. It's just grab and go.

In this particular cookbook, the chapter on desserts and cakes is getting all my attention. I love the idea of making cakes, etc. in the crockpot and she has several recipes for these which include: Applesauce-Walnut Cake, Spiced Pumpkin Cake and Carrot Cake with Pineapple. She does a nice introduction on slow cooker basics and tips for cooking in these fabulous pots for successful outcomes and she also includes points and pointers which takes the mystery out of it. All in all, there are some great new cooking skills I need to learn and I'm looking forward to making cakes for the holidays !

5.0 out of 5 stars Vibrant & Vegan, October 24, 2012
This is a fantastic collection of recipes that will not disappoint. Robin's creativity is limitless. You will find fun surprises amid the comfort food dishes one would hope to find in a slow cooker cookbook. Robin expands the boundaries of what can be created in a crockpot. I am another fortunate tester for Fresh From the Vegan Slow Cooker and I had so much fun producing everything from chilis, soups and stews to chutneys, cakes and even pizza!

One of my favorite sections of the book contains a basic technique for slow-cooking dried beans. This is now my go-to method of preparing beans. It is less expensive and more delicious than using canned beans or simply soaking dried beans in water.

Before I became a tester for this book, I owned many of Robin's cookbooks. Just scanning the recipe titles and ingredient lists intrigued me enough to purchase the first cookbook despite the lack of photographs. As a photographer myself, that is saying something. Robin's recipes in general are so inventive and reliable that I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of her cookbooks with or without photography. Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker is no exception.

Some of my favorites so far include:

French Toast Bread Pudding
Pumpkin Breakfast Quinoa
Orange Marmalade with a Twist of Lemon
Mixed Fruit Chutney
Hoisin-and-Miso-Braised Tofu
Barbecue Beans with Coffee and Bourbon

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Veg/Vegan slow cooker books., December 27, 2012
If you are looking for a slow cooker cookbook for a vegan (or in my case vegetarian) diet because you like the convenience of slow cookers, this is serve you well. The recipes are delicious, as can be expected from the author. Most importantly, this book is an actual slow cooker book. I have seen too many "slow cooker" cookbooks where half of the cooking is done on the stove or in the oven before using the slow cooker, and then it is in the slow cooker for only 2-4 hours. This book is not like that. Most of the recipes are actually cooked in the slow cooker, and have cook times that allow one to put it in the slow cooker before you leave for work and not worry about it being over done. Great for tasty, convenient, vegan meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars a cookbook worth investing in, November 14, 2012
I love cookbooks but most of them sit on my shelf till I'm looking for something specific. With this one, I've decided to try a new recipe every week -- so far, I've tried 7 different recipes and they're all awesome! She uses spices I wouldn't normally use, so the flavors are interesting and very yummy. I would also highly recommend investing in a pressure cooker to cook your beans (the difference of time and energy -- garbanzo beans take 1 1/2 hours to boil versus 11 minutes in a pressure cooker -- no brainer!). The book also provides desserts -- something I've yet to try in a crock pot. This book is definitely worth the investment and will provide lots of interesting recipes that take 1/2 hour to prepare and then cook while you're at work (so dinner is ready when you get home) or ready 1st thing in the morning if you put it together before going to bed -- how easy is that?! Excellent for pot luck meals as well.

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›