Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

I'm using this for making little sample/guest soaps with leftover cold process soap. When I make a big batch of soap, I often have too much 'batter'. So I keep this mold close by to pour some little sample sizes. It makes a little ~3 oz. size soap. And thanks to the silicone, they release very easily from the mold without any lining or greasing.
review image review image
on April 5, 2012
I love how well it can take the heat and release my soap so evenly, without damages. the only suggestion I have is to use a cutting board underneath to evenly distribute weight when carrying and to tap out bubbles. Otherwise, you get beautiful smooth edged soap each time, every time! I will be purchasing more of these molds.
77 comments|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon February 16, 2013
Style Name: Oval|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The mold is made "from FDA-approved premium quality food-grade silicone" and can make eight oval 3-ounce-sized soaps or lotion bars. I haven't tried baking in it. Each cavity is 3-inch x 2.2-inch x 1.4-inch, which makes a bar that's a nice size to hold in my hand (and I'm a woman with medium-sized hands). This mold makes 3-ounce bars that are thicker than most oval soaps I've seen, but I like the depth. You can also fill the cavity less full for a thinner soap.

I followed the owner's manual directions, and the soaps easily popped out when I pushed on the bottom of each cavity. The soap bar left no residue, and the mold was easy to clean. I soaked the mold in hot water and used a soft washcloth to clean the mold. As others have pointed out, if you plan to move the mold once it's full (especially if you fill the mold completely full), it's best to put the mold on a firm tray or pan before filling the mold. The mold is flexible, so it'll sag in the middle if you move it by only holding each end.

The owner's manual says: wash the mold in hot water and spray the mold with oil, butter, or shortening before its first use. After that, you don't need to spray oil on it again. You can wash the mold by soaking it in hot water with a few drops of lemon juice to remove any residual food and odors, then rinse and air dry. You can also wash it in a dishwasher, but don't use abrasive cleaners or scouring pads.

The mold is temperature safe from -40 to +446 degrees Fahrenheit and microwave, oven, freezer, and dishwasher safe.
on August 20, 2012
I'm using this mold for cold process soap. It makes a beautifully shaped bar. I pour in my batter, let it sit for a day and pop them out. If the soap is still a little soft, I might wait another day or pop it in the frig for a couple hours. After I'm done, I wash the mold in the dishwasher and ready for next time. I would recommend this item for soap makers.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 16, 2013
Style Name: Oval|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have never been much of a fan of silicone bakeware, but I have to tell you that every time I use one of these Freshware silicone molds/baking pans I become more impressed. I've had the opportunity to try several of these lately, but I think my favorite is this Freshware 8-Cavity Oval Cake Silicone Mold and Baking Pan, probably because this is the correct pan for a marvelous little cake called a Friand that I've come across recently in a couple of baking books I've acquired from outside of the US.

Like all Freshware, the Freshware 8-Cavity Oval Cake Silicone Mold and Baking Pan comes with an Owner's Manual that answers common questions, gives instructions for use and outlines the Warranty and Return Policy.

The mold is dishwasher and freezer safe. You can, in fact, freeze something to bake later in your mold and transfer it to the oven directly from the freezer. You can also steam in it.

The manufacturer recommends that you grease the mold with solid shortening the first time that you use it in order to help soften the silicone. According to the manufacturer, this mold is good for about 3000 uses (baking) at temperatures not to exceed 446F.

Grandma's $0.02 - this mold is fantastic! I'm ordering another one. Highly recommended.

NOTE -

The recipe that I use in the video is from Margaret Fulton Baking: The Ultimate Sweet and Savory Baking Collection, page 265. Here's an abbreviated version of the recipe. Margaret gives variations and notes that I've left out. I've also changed the instructions to reflect Fahrenheit measurements. All of the dry ingredients as well as the butter were measured in grams using a digital scale. The ground almonds, widely available as Almond Flour, were measured using the 1 cup measure from Trudeau 5-Piece Measuring Cup Set, which conforms to the Australian standard. (Did you know that not all 1 cup measures are the same? I didn't either. Now you do.)

Friands -

175 g butter
1 Australian cup (250 ml volume) of ground almonds (almond flour)
grated rind of 1 orange
260 g icing sugar (confectioner's sugar)
75 g plain (all purpose) flour, sifted
5 egg whites
about 200 g fresh or frozen raspberries

Melt the butter over low heat until it just begins to turn golden. This will take 15-20 minutes, but watch carefully. Set the butter aside to cool.

Preheat the oven to 425F.

Place the confectioner's sugar, flour, ground almonds and grated orange rind in a medium size bowl and stir with a whisk to mix. Beat the egg whites slightly to break them up, then add the egg whites and the cooled butter to the bowl, pouring the butter carefully so as not to add any butter solids that might have settled to the bottom. Stir well to combine.

If this is the first time you are using your mold, grease it with solid shortening to help soften the mold. Place the mold on a cookie sheet. Fill each depression about half full. (I used 2 cookie scoops of batter per depression.) Place 2 or 3 raspberries on top of the batter in each depression.

Bake at 425F for 5 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350F for 12 minutes. Turn the oven off, but leave the Friands in the oven for 5 more minutes. Remove the mold to a rack to cool. When the mold and cakes are cool enough to handle easily, remove each cake by pushing slightly on the bottom of the mold.

The recipe will make about 1 dozen. I baked my excess batter in standard muffin tins that I had greased. Lets just say that those did not come out of the pan anywhere near as easily as the cakes came out of the Freshware 8-Cavity Oval Cake Silicone Mold and Baking Pan - and left me with lots more washing up to do than the Freshware, which barely needed a swish through the dishwater. These little cakes are going to be a regular around my house, so I'm thinking I will adapt the recipe to make 16 and buy another mold.
on August 15, 2013
I make soap bars in various sizes and I only use Freshware molds. This brand performs flawlessly each and every time. They're easy to de-mold the the solidified bars, and easy clean up with warm water.
33 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2015
I absolutely love the 8 cavity cube. My husband bought it for me. I use mine to freeze portion sizes of meals. Bone broth, soups, pulled pork, etc. and the best thing is that 16 of these frozen cubes fits Perfectly into a gallon size freezer bag making it really easy to store. A must have for freezer meals!
review image
on March 7, 2015
I made my first batch of homemade soap last night using different molds I have purchased from Amazon. This one, by far produced the most beautiful perfect little bars of soap you've ever seen. To boot, it cleaned up easily and quickly. I may just have to order another one.
review image
on January 24, 2013
Style Name: Oval|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Excellent if you want to bake what the Austirians call Friand or what the French call Financiers, which are oval sized almond flour cupcakes. These are just the right size, neither too small or to large. You can use any recipe for cake or cupcakes in these. They bake up nice and golden brown. I love the oval shape because it's different. A nice change from the standard cupcake look. This mold has a nice depth to it as well, about what you would expect for the average cupcake.
One word of strong caution and that is these silicon molds can take on a soapy taste that land in your baked goods if your dishwasher liquid is strong or strong scented. The instructions included suggest the use of a bit of lemon to clean them up with. So hand wash with something very very mild or if you are using a dishwasher be careful of the type of detergent. I have found that gel pac liquid
detergents are the worst.
on August 9, 2015
We ordered this Freshware silicone mold, but neither the item nor the packaging state that this item is made by Freshware. The color is orange instead of red as showing on the website. It also contains a strong chemical smell. The mold did not pass the pinch test. It is not 100% silicone, and this is a counterfeit product.