Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

on November 30, 2002
On my high praise of Mr. Edward's approach (in my review of the first two volumes of this series), it may come as a bit of a surprise that I consider this - a continuation of the method - unworthy of the rest of it. However, there are several reasons for it, and few, if any, of them are the author's fault. His intent is to keep the series accessible to as wide an audience as possible.
The first two volumes, which I recommend in the combined anniversary edition, go through the organization of guitar as an instrument, with the promise of actual music coming into play at a later time. Well, this volume is where the music not introduced in the second volume comes in.
Applications - Creative and Analytical (ACaA) is not necessarily something to be read in sequence. Rather, it is something to refer to as an encyclopedia, upon need of certain elements. If you're anything like me, you may find that you will buy this book for 20 out of the 170 pages of it, and end up using the rest just to make yourself feel that you haven't wasted any money.
ACaA goes through the fundamentals of music theory in this book. He uses guitar, not piano, to expain them, which is a bonus, but learning, or re-learning, to read standard notation may be a bit of a drag. Not that it isn't worth it, but it's something that can be acquired in other sources. It's not that difficult.
Another thing ACaA covers are technical development exercises, particularly for lead playing. Again, something we can easily find elsewhere. Rhythmic and melodic exercises, same thing. In short, there is a lot of material that, unlike the stuff in the first two volumes, can be found in other places in a duplicate fashion - Mr. Edwards simply adjusts it to his teaching style.
ACaA also includes some original compositions by Mr. Edwards, which is a nice addition, but the analytical application takes away from the creative aspect - having the tool (the guitar), to discover the music for oneself and grow with it. I've seen bands with guitarists who have mastered this approach - their playing is quite bland, with very little spark to it. In other words, this third volume is insufficient to make one a great guitarist, not just a great guitar player.
There is a very useful section on chord progressions, from which any player would benefit, and which all fans of volumes I and II will love. And to give credit where credit is due, there are many great pedagogical techniques in this volume, which are worth looking at, even if only academically. Also, there is a ton of great advice regarding learning techniques for everyone in this book, so don't write it off based on its negative aspects.
Also, on a negative note, there is a number of typographical errors in this book, which, unless you already know the concept being explained, might give you a little trouble.
To conclude, this book is something to consider. However, as Plato notes, be careful with logic - use it only once you've verified that the axioms of your system are true. I will use similar advice: use this book well, but don't limit yourself to it.
on November 6, 2002
I had been struggling to learn guitar for years, that is until Fretboard Logic.I have both the Video and Volumes I & 2 and let me tell you I am playing G U I T A R NOW!
The moment I got the book and began pouring into it I was turned on. I figured out what I was doing wrong after just reading a few paragraphs of certain topics.
The way Bill (I kinda feel close to the guy now after hours of watching him on video) teach in the book and on video is very logical... that is, he makes it simple. Once you understand the fretboard, scales are no problem. But trying to learn scales without understanding the fretboard you are probably in for years of frustration; believe me, I know.
The C.A.G.E.D. system takes you all over the fretboard. Once you learn the forms and positions (which is simple) along with the CAGE system you are on your way. The rest is just mechanics and preference.
I am now playing with a band and getting great reviews from both the band members and the audience. BTW, I am lefthanded so I had to reverse a lot of figering shown on the video and was still able to do well, so I know you righthanded folks can.
My son, who just started playing bass 2 mths ago is learning at a fast pace. I ordered the Fretboard Logic video and book for Bass for him and he loves them.
I just wanted to give Bill his "props" and say to anyone who's trying to learn or get over the hump, Fretboard Logic is the way to go. I've wasted thousands of dollars on videos where the instructor seems more impressed with himself than trying to teach; and books where you are taught songs, scales, modes, etc, not application. Fretboard Logic is a godsend. If you are brand new to guitar I think you need to get books or videos that will teach you the basics; how to hold a guitar, a pick, etc. Don't spend a lot of money just get something that will familiarize you with the basics. Once you have the basics down, order Fretboard Logic (get the workbook that has both volumes in it I & 2). if you are a visual person like myself you may also want to order the video too.
Just wanted to spread the Love,
on August 1, 2009
Logic I and II were great. But this one seems to apply the same style to its writing and doesn't quite come off with the same thoroughness of its predecessors.

I've owned a copy, but recycled it back into Amazon when I found I wasn't using it much in teaching. If you want to study chords and harmony I think there are other options. Personally I like to use in my teaching - Bruce Buckingham's books - Rhythm GuitarGuitar Basics: Essential Chords, Scales, Rhythms and Theory (Private Lessons) and Rhythm Guitar: The Complete Guide, Latin GuitarLatin Guitar: The Essential Guide to Brazilian and Afro-Cuban Rhythms and Essential Rhythm Guitar by Steve TrovatoEssential Rhythm Guitar: Patterns, Progressions and Techniques for All Styles (Private Lessons). To fill the chord, scale connections I use the two books by Dave Easterlee.Scale-Chord Connection (REH Pro Lessons)Jazz Chord Connection: A Systematic Approach to Understanding Guitar Fingerboard Harmony (REH Pro Lessons)

If you want to complete the set of Logic Books then go ahead and buy - but I think there are better options.
on August 20, 2003
Containing a load of chord progressions and theory it makes for a very thick book. The only sections in the book that can be of use to most guitarists is the specific styles section, and the section that is used to build up your dexterity on the fretboard. The other stuff is complicated and imo unnesscesary theory. As another reviewer put it, it may not be worth your time. I reccomend instead finding a book by Troy Stetina that goes into the style of rock or blues you wish to play.
on July 14, 2001
An excellent followup to an essential series on guitar. Edwards fills in all the gaps from intervals to chord progressions. I have found his suggestions useful in songwriting and breaking out of improvisational ruts. You really can't afford to be without this series if you are serious about guitar and music.
on January 30, 2010
disappointed with a skim through this book. I wouldn't have bought it had I been able to do this at a book store...

So far, this book just seems to be filled with all of the 'bits' of musical information I already have in the hundred other guitar books I already have. Notation formats and Italian musical terms can be found anywhere. Articulation techniques with tablature and notation are available in nearly any guitar magazine.... I already know what a 'tap-slide' is and how it's marked up.

On top of all that, there is quite of bit of musical reading required even though backed up by tabs. I bought this book on the strength of the first two books which at least had a 'different' point of view. I don't see one diagram that refers to the 'lead patterns' of the first book.

I would return this book but I couldn't be bothered with the pain and expense of a return postage from Australia.
on November 2, 2012
Fretboard Logic I and II are two essential books, the ones that open eyes and inspire many AHA moments, however I believe Bill Edwards wanted a total approach, and he extended the concept for the many applications in guitar playing, and this is a bit forced. He does not suceeed in applying the Logic to everything . It is not that bad, but I think there are better options for improvisation, technique, or chord progressions.For Fretboard recognition the two former books are essential.This does not do justice to them, but the intentions are good.
on February 27, 2014
Great book for anyone who is serious about learning the guitar. This book will give you a the essential methods required to evolve your guitar knowledge from what you already know. check it out!
on August 9, 2014
Good Fretboard Theory, while I play Rocksmith 2014 Edition.
on March 30, 2015
Great book. Thank you fire very fast delivery.