5.0 out of 5 stars Weekend Woodworker... Perfectly Happy
I used these blades on a 1hp, 3450rpm Craftsman tablesaw. I am pretty experienced at rough carpentry and am just now getting into finer woodworking.

First of all... these reviews include many people complaining about how difficult it is to put the shims on and off... I dunno, I'm a VERY impatient person, but I found the 5 seconds it takes to add/remove a shim...
Published on January 4, 2004 by D. Thiel

3.0 out of 5 stars Chipped teeth!
The set I received had numerous chipped teeth. I looked at several sets on the shelf at Home Depot and all of them had a few blades and/or chippers with chipped teeth. It looks like Freud has a quality control problem. If you buy one, be sure to inspect the teeth. After all, why should I settle for a defective product when I've paid full price for a brand new one?
Published on April 29, 2002 by AL

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth like butter, April 5, 2002
Craig Stephens (UPPER MARLBORO, MARYLAND United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freud SD208 8-Inch Professional Dado (Tools & Home Improvement)
Excellent dado set, offering smooth dado. No need to clean out dado after cut. Blades appear to me well made and solid, when compare to some of the other dado sets I was looking at. Also includes storage case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, October 3, 2006
Cheap Trickster "Dave" (Inverness, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I'm a hobby woodworker and couldn't be happier with this dado which is my first. I buy most of my tools here and research reviews extensively. I'm happy with every Tool Crib purchase thru Amazon so far and reviews have really, really helped. This dado helped me build an awesome garage cabinet. I used it with my Grizzly 2hp table saw that I also purchased here. Fine tool for me. I hope this helps someone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth finish!, April 18, 2004
This dado set is as good as described by all the readers. Also it is very easy to install and remove the blade. A caliper will be a handy thing to have when using this stacked set.I don't want to repeat the good things that all the readers have already mentioned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Satisfied, July 8, 2004
D. L. MILLER (Wildwood Crest, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
I bought my dado set at Home Depot (I work there) I had always wanted a good stack dado set, but could not see paying in excess of $150.00 for something I only occassionally use. I am glad that I waited for this set. My current project, a computer desk has made good use of this set. No problems with set ups and the cuts are razor sharp. The only improvement I would suggest is to mark the shims as to the thickness.

2.0 out of 5 stars get what you pay for, December 29, 2008
I bought this a year ago, and have just recently been putting it to a lot of use. After having done several projects now, I am not all that happy with it. I bought it based on the Freud name and the price. Does it work, yes. I can't get flat bottom dado's... Every single time, my dado's have grooving from the outer blades. This has been true with the 5 different dado widths I have cut. Bummer.. The holes in the blades are not all the same diameter, this is a minimal difference but some don't even fit on my arbor... Some are a bit loose... This would probably explain the grooves left in my dado's, and why some people have flat dado's and some don't... As far as the setup chart with shims and chippers goes... The width configurations are confusing.. This has led to a lot of time testing out shim and chipper configurations... An example of confusing shim/stack setup is 13/32" and 15/32" have the exact same configuration, with no further explanation... So what is the real measurement of stack A+B+C+D+S1+S2 if two measurements are given? It would have been a lot better to get an actual cut width and ply width designation. It can be figured out, but wastes time. I have the Forrest WWII as my main blade, which has now set my standard for blades... even with it's high cost, it ends up being well worth it in the long run.. I would not recommend this Freud dado setup for a profesional result, and look forward to buying the Forrest dado set. The best solution to this Freud dado stack setup is to take an hour or two and cut all the dado combinations on to one piece of wood. That way you have this stick to test all of your pieces and quickly the proper stack setup for your project. It is cheap though, so if that gets you cutting dado's, get it!

I did find much more correct dado stack setups at the Freud site. The chart I recieved with my purchase did not have the same information, so they must have figured this out and revised it online. I hope this one IS correct. [...]

Happy wood working!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be better, February 12, 2004
Erik Sieh (Fostoria, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
I just got my dado set today. I put it on my Jet table saw and the two, put together, work like a charm. This dado makes very square and flat bottom cuts. I would tell anyone to buy this dado over its "better" and more costly bigger brothers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spacer Confusion, November 5, 2003
Eric Phillips (Tulsa, Oklahoma United States) - See all my reviews
This is an update to my prior review. After tracking down someone with a micrometer, I determined that the shim set I recieved had: 5 shims at .004", 1 shim at .009, 1 shim at .012 and 1 shim at .020. To get 1/32" you have to use the .020 and .012. Hope this saves someone some time!
FYI, Freud said that starting next year they will be marking their shims.

5.0 out of 5 stars First time dado user, October 1, 2003
Richard Gillingham (Hialeah, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased a Delta contractors saw with the intention of constructing a set of shelves to place on a table to house my amateur radio equipment. The plan was to cut grooves in the end supports, Oak veneer 3/4" plywood, to receive 8 foot(!) shelves of the same material. Movable intermediate supports prevent shelf sag. I purchased this dado set locally and found some of the same challenges previously posted concerning the shims. I overcame them after a couple of false starts. Testing on scrap stock proved that the dados were smooth, straight and with perfectly a flat bottom. I proceeded to make the cuts on the shelf ends and they came out very well. Certainly these blades are worth the purchase price. I'm a happy camper. I may buy some plastic shims I've seen advertised elsewhere, but they too will slip into the arbor threads, I'm sure. You just have to be careful in the setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, February 6, 2004
By A Customer
I have put many of miles on this set and for the price it can not be beat. If you are having trouble with the shims pick up a $10 set of magnetic shims.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dado set, measurements on package are "nominal", December 10, 2003
By A Customer
This set makes crisp, flat bottom cuts. Yes, the measurements on the package are confusing. I assumed with 2 blades and 4 chippers I could get a 3/4 inch cut. I can, but it is a "nominal" cut, the way most weekend wood workers buy their lumber from home depot. An actual 3/4 cut required 1 shim. Once I did this the cut was perfect. An e-mail form a Freud representative explained that all the measurements on the package are nominal, not actual, the way lumber is sold. If they would note this on the packaging it would save some confusion. That being said, I would buy this set again!

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›