Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

Style Name: 8-Inch Professional Dado|Change

on March 5, 2001
The set of 2 outside blades with 4 two-wing chippers cut well in soft or hard wood. The negative hook angle makes a great flat bottom with virtually splinter-free cuts. I have the Dewalt 744 which is underpowered and it works great. Comes in a nifty case to protect it with clear instructions. It does cut a little undersized but that's easily reconciled with the spacers.
on March 2, 2003
After finally giving up on my inexpensive Craftsman dado set, which burned more wood than it cut and had more gum on it than blade, I went looking for something that would make dadoes that (gasp) were actually flat on the bottom, at a price I could afford, and that would work on my smaller saw, a Ryobi BT3000. This Freud set filled the bill nicely. It cuts a nice flat-bottomed dado, is highly adjustable with the included set of shims (though there's little way to tell which shim is which) and has been resistant to gumming up. The triple-angle rake on the outside blades has been great for sharp, flat sides to my cuts. This is not the ultimate dado set; with few teeth and a negative chipper angle, it tends to get pretty hot and slow cutting a 3/4" wide, 1/4" deep slot in hardwood. Multiple passes may be in order. However, the size and price and cut quality were all I was looking for, and I'm completely satisfied. Unless you have a bigger saw or require faster production, this is probably all the dado you'll ever need.
on April 24, 2013
Don't order this from Amazon. I ordered two (original and replacement) and both were defective. The chipper blades had a smaller diameter than the cutting blades, resulting in a raised ridge in the middle of the dado groove. I then walked into a local store (Woodcraft) and bought the exact same thing without this defect. The one Amazon is selling has printing on the blades that is sloppier, less crisp than the good version I bought. I think Amazon may be selling a Chinese knock-off of the real thing. Not sure of this, but definitely not the freud quality I read so much about before buying. To Amazon's credit, the exchange and return were easy.
on June 28, 2000
It is reasonably priced for weekend wood workers. It works well for my Delta contractor saw (1.5 hp), which is supposedly "underpower". The Tool-Crib rep said that 8 in. dado blades could be a bit too much for my saw. It came with a sturdy plastic storage case. Ah, not much instruction came with the set.
on April 29, 2002
The set I received had numerous chipped teeth. I looked at several sets on the shelf at Home Depot and all of them had a few blades and/or chippers with chipped teeth. It looks like Freud has a quality control problem. If you buy one, be sure to inspect the teeth. After all, why should I settle for a defective product when I've paid full price for a brand new one?
VINE VOICEon November 3, 2004
I picked up the basic Freud SD206 6" stacked dado set on sale at a local hardware store. Despite what some reviewers have written here, I had no problem mouting this dado stack on my DeWalt 746 table saw. Granted, when all of the chippers are in use the arbor is completely filled - but it does fit. After making many 1/2" deep and 3/4" wide cuts in white oak I found the performance of this dado stack to be excellent. There was no chipping or tearout whatsoever when I was cutting with the grain and only very minor chipping when cutting across the grain. The dado cuts were very smooth on all surfaces and the bottom of the cut was perfectly flat. Also, I was happy to see that the shims included were of very high quality (thin metal rather than paper).

I chose the 6" model because I will probably never have a need for a dado so deep it requires an 8" set. Overall I am very pleased with the quality of this product and recommend that you shop around for a deal like I got (twenty five bucks less than the Amazon price at a local store).
on October 12, 2001
I have recently purchased and used this Freud Dado set with very good results. My concern was over my underpowered Craftsman table saw. The blade performed well and made crisp accurate cuts with no sign of bogging down my saw when cutting hardwoods. The case is of surprisingly high quality. Along with other reviewers, I found some cuts to measure small, but easily corrected with the included shims. ...
on February 7, 2005
I'm a hobby woodworker and don't use a dado set too often. So when I went looking for a dado set, I wanted one that was low cost. I first tried a set from Avenger, which is a set made in China. It was a real piece of junk. It didn't make accurate width dados and the chippers were different diameters, which left grooves in the bottom of the dado.

I finally took the Avenger set back and bought this Freud 6 inch set. The difference is night and day. If I set up the Freud set for a 3/8 inch dado, it is dead on at 3/8 inch. The bottom of the dado is absolutely smooth - not even a hint of unevenness.

The only negative about the Freud set is that the spacers are not marked and it's extremely hard to tell the difference between two spacers that are close in size. I realize that Freud may not have wanted to stamp them because a stamp might have changed the thickness in the area of the stamp, but the sizes could have been etched on.

Other than this one problem, I am completely happy and satisfied with this dado set.
on April 5, 2002
Excellent dado set, offering smooth dado. No need to clean out dado after cut. Blades appear to me well made and solid, when compare to some of the other dado sets I was looking at. Also includes storage case.
on April 27, 2001
I was having huge problems crosscutting birch plywood. The wood kept splintering and I could never make a clean cut. I read a review in a woodworking magazine that recommened the SD206 as the best value for the money and decided to give it a try. When I received the blade I tested it out and discovered that if I took small depth cuts, not more than 3/8" at a time, there was no splintering and the dado was perfectly square. I highly recommend this blade.