5.0 out of 5 stars Opening the eyes of young children, December 23, 2008
Viv "Viv" (San Juan, PR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frida: (Spanish language edition) (Spanish Edition) (Paperback)
My son and I went to a restaurant that it is full of Frida's paintings. He did not like Frida's face expressions in the paintings and said: "that woman is very angry". This book helped my son to understand how artists paint their own reality and in Frida's case, she showed her physical pain in her paintings (it was easy to understand for him how he also chooses specific colors when he paints, and those colors represent his emotional stage). It was a good conversation starter for my son and me (he is seven) about how life can be very hard for some people, but still they can get the best out of it - including such colorful paintings as a result of a difficult life and physical pain. I recommend it to all parents that want to show to their young children the strength of women, the art of women, and the importance of expressing yourself in art forms. I

5.0 out of 5 stars Spanish Version, January 18, 2007
I own the Spanish version of this book, and I love it. So do all my students - I teach Preschool Spanish (ages 3-6). My 5 year old daughter is an artist and she loves the vivid colors and imaginative characters that follow Frida through her life. The children I teach do not know Spanish, but they are able to look at the pictures and understand the story. They regularly request this book and enjoy looking for the 'spooky' characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, touching story and intriguing artwork, November 30, 2011
I purchased this book for my 8 year old niece who is learning Spanish. I just received the book and I think it is going to be just perfect. The story depicts the life of Frida and how she finds refuge from her solitude and, later, her pain, in her art. The art in the book is absolutely beautiful. I am sure parents reading it to their children will also thoroughly enjoy it. The level of Spanish is easy enough for early learners (yet there are several sentences on some pages, to help make it challenging, as well), yet the book is sophisticated enough not to bore slightly older children.

My niece is really into fairies, and I think the magic/mystical nature of the images and their slight darkness will really capture her attention. The story is also a nice lesson in sympathy for the sick and disabled. In general, a great book for Spanish learners. The book may not be as suitable for younger, native Spanish-speaking children, as the art is a tad dark, even though they would understand the language aspect at an earlier age. (It certainly isn't at all disturbing, though. I personally find it very intriguing.) I think this would be a great book for children around 5 years of age and older.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, March 3, 2011
I love the art in this book, the little skeleton doll makes me smile. All of the little characters that follow along with Frida are amusing even if a bit haunting. But I love the faces in the moon, on the tomato . . The illustrations are rich with character. It's one of those books that I like so much I want more than one copy. ;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful book, esp for adults, June 4, 2010
m in nyc (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
i got this when my son was around 2.5 or 3 years old. it's a very beautiful book and he enjoyed it, but he had a lot of questions about about the magical, mystical parts and frida's emotions that maybe could have been answered better if he were a little older. i guess i'd say this is a book i enjoy more than he does at this stage. still glad that i bought it, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange morbid story with awesome pictures, June 12, 2014
Orphynanni (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This doesn't really seem like a kids story to me. It talks about Frida being a lonely child, getting polio, getting into a horrible accident and nearly dying, and then living out a lifetime in pain and isolation and using her art as a means to alleviate some of her mental and physical suffering. Kind of heavy stuff, yet my 1.5 year old son absolutely loves this book and we read it at least once a day. Not sure if he really gets the story, or if he just likes the beautiful, colorful and quirky illustrations. Either way, it works for us!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, April 24, 2014
My two and a half year old baby loves it. There is not too much text ( except for the last pages), but it is very descriptive of Frida's life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, April 1, 2014
Adorable book with great illustrations. Very reasonably priced and wonderful for Spanish-speaking or bilingual children to learn about Frida Kahlo or just enjoy the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction to Mexican Artists for children, December 23, 2013
I think I liked this book more than my nieces. At first, it was hard for my nieces to pick this book up because it is different than most children's books. After a while they began to love the pictures and get into the story. One niece is 3 and the other is 5. Now, they love the book. Frida's story is very inspirational. She is an example of how being different is a wonderful thing and inspires perseverance and imagination. I literally cried when I read the back of the book where there is a short summary of Frida's life and everything she went through and still is one of the most influential figures in art and culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Favorite!, August 28, 2013
Tara Cope (South Lake Tahoe, CA) - See all my reviews
This book arrived less than two hours ago and my daughter has already had me read it twice!

The bright colors, unique characters, and simple-to-follow story are captivating! She is growing up with both Spanish & English in our home, and let me tell you - it is so SO nice to find a story about a Mexican icon with artwork by a Mexican artist. There are only so many time I can read the Spanish translation of "One Fish, Two Fish..." before I hide it under the couch. This is a refreshing & beautiful change of pace.

Frida: (Spanish language edition) (Spanish Edition)
Frida: (Spanish language edition) (Spanish Edition) by Jonah Winter (Paperback - February 1, 2002)
$6.99 $5.71