Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: Audio CDChange

on June 22, 2003
I have been a fan of the Transfer and in particular Janis' work for 15 years, from Experiment in White to her lastest release Friday Night Special. This album is superb as all the others have been. Her pure, sincere voice brings home all these songs, but my favorites on this album include "My, How the Time Goes By", "My Love Is/My Babe", "You Don't Know Me", and "Misty." Having listed my favorites, let me say there is no bad, or even mediocre cut on the album, the ones I listed are just the best of the best. I was so fortunate to see her perform solo in Michigan last Friday, and the performance was nothing short of outstanding. She is, in my opinion, one of the most versatile and talented vocalists I have ever heard. If you are a new Janis fan, get At Home (currently out of print), The Tender Trap, and Friday Night Special. You won't be disappointed.
on May 16, 2003
This might actually be the best solo outing for Janis. I've loved every release she's had and there have been "high spots" on each of them. This one is one outstanding performance after another. Surrounding herself with a four piece band and the "Siegelettes" this is a great recording. Right now, I'm leaning towards her cover of "Let It Be Me" as my favorite and "You Don't Know Me" coming in pretty close. There isn't a bad song on the entire effort. If all you know of Janis is her blend with the Manhattan Transfer, do yourself a favor and get this CD. You won't regret it!
on October 5, 2004
In her notes to this recording, Janis Siegel comments on "organ pop" and how it has special meaning for her. So if that particular instrument isn't your thing, you might want to think twice about this one. Otherwise, the selections here are very well-chosen, and all incorporate a Hammond organ as part of the instrumental mix. For those willing to venture into Siegel's nostalgia-tinged project here, the result is sultry and very listenable.

Highlights for me are "My, How the Time Goes By," "Let it Be Me," and "You Don't Know Me," all of which glide by taking full advantage of Siegel's lustrous voice and the sharp musicians backing her. The superb organist is Joey de Francesco, whose mellifluous chords give this recording its special color and flavor. Telarc's sound is clear while maintaining the intimacy of a small club.

Wonderfully atmospheric music, done by one of the great jazz singers of our day, that will transport you to a smoky, Jack Daniels-filled lounge in another place and time.
on April 22, 2003
Following last year's excellent "I Wish You Love," Janis Siegel raises the bar with this swinging, sensual, sexy set of eclectic tunes anchored by the evocative jazz-organ playing of Joey DeFrancesco and Houston Pearson's expressive sax. (This is Pearson's first collaboration with a vocalist since the death of Etta Jones.) Siegel rides the line between jazz and pop, and still retains a thrilling musical urgency, adventure and vitality without watering it down. There's a defiant soaring quality to her vocals on such tracks as "The Same Love That Made Me Laugh," "My How The Time Goes By," and "Ill Wind." On "My Love Is/My Babe," she sounds like a hotter Peggy Lee and the track is an absolute stunner. She glides through "There's A Small Hotel" and a surprising uptempo take of "Misty" with breathtaking ease. As on "I Wish You Love," the ballads shine. Siegel delivers the emotional goods -- "Let It Be Me" is achingly romantic and melancholic; her version of "I Just Dropped By To Say Hello" is like a poignant musical short story, and the singer strips "You Don't Know Me" of its melodrama and does what only a handful of great interpretors can do -- make you feel like you are listening to the song for the first time. While Janis Siegel is best known as a member of the Manhattan Transfer, it is apparent after a multitude of solo recordings that she has plenty more essential music to make on her own.
on December 2, 2004
This album is a superb coupling of the excellent vocal talents of Janis Siegel of Manhattan Transfer fame and the Philly organ jazz sound of Joey DeFrancesco, one of my favorite jazz/blues organists of recent times. To be quite honest, I have not listened to Manhattan Transfer nor had I ever heard of Ms. Siegel before purchasing this album. When I saw that Joey was backing her along with tenor saxman Houston Person, I thought, "This can't be all bad." And so I took a chance. Well, was I surprised!!! This gal is great, and for the life of me, I don't know why other jazz singers can't record with some great jazzers without all the over production efforts that studios like to layer on. Janis' voice is tailor -made for these tunes. Her rendition of the Everly Brothers' "Let it Be Me"is just soooooo nice, and Joey and his pards do not over-power her anywhere, but do provide some great solo moments. Check out Person's efforts throughout the album. I thought I was back in the smokey clubs of the 60's where I used to play with some good tenor players myself. Now DeFrancesco fans will not be disappointed either: He and Janis do an up-tempo take of "Misty" reminiscent of Groove Holmes that concludes the album but begs for more. Janis, you have new fan in me. Joey, thanks for the introduction. Any organ and vocal jazz afficiandos who don't hurry out and get this album should be ashamed--it's that good.
on January 19, 2004
My only question is why hasn't she been to "Vincent's" in West Chester, PA? Only if she REALLY means it ... Janis??
She does a WONDERFUL job with this recording.
The tempo of "Let It Be Me" is worth it all.
on October 22, 2015
Not one of her best.... One cut is outstanding -Misty!
on September 24, 2015
Item delivered on time, was as described
on July 1, 2015
This lady can sing!
on June 22, 2004
I have listened to every recording by Siegel and this is at the bottom as far as likability, sultriness, approach....all those things associated with her magnificent voice. Perhaps it was the organ thing or the mediocre selection - regardless, this is a CD that I will play but not adore.
0Comment2 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse