5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT! Here's why!
Published 5 months ago by Jeff Kimble

The manufacturer commented on the review below
-The fan is very loud on high, reasonable on medium and low. Nearly silent while on auto in the dark (except for the plasma generator). It still moves air when on low.
-The plasma generator has a sizzle sound similar to a small leak in a steam pipe. i will keep it but it has to be turned off if the environment isn't noisy enough to mask it.
-My unit is...
Published 6 months ago by A. Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT! Here's why!, March 6, 2014
This review is from: Friedrich AP260 5-Stage Air Purifier (HEPA, Carbon, Plasma, Pre-filter, Multi-filter), Energy Star Qualified and AHAM Verified (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So you're in the market for an air purifier, eh? Well you just found it, my friend. I'm 'that guy' who -- at least once a week -- enjoys the nonstop runny nose, itchy face, and general miserableness. Before this air purifier, I could get levels of "better", but never "great." I've been using this air purifier for a month-ish now and have finally known what it's like to not have allergies! Seriously, no need for a Kleenex yet.

I really can't speak highly enough of this thing. I've never been so excited to have an air purifier in my life because this one actually works. The thing that makes this thing head-and-shoulders above its peers is auto mode and it's ridiculous five stage filter. For the first few days, I didn't even know this was on until I put my hand over the 'vent' to feel the air blowing out. The plasma generator does emit a bit of an electric buzz (think really quiet welder or bug zapper 'tzzzzz', but very, very quiet), but it's easily drowned out by any other noise. Everything about this says that it can only handle like 260 sf, but -- in reality -- it scrubs about a 600 sf area and doesn't really get overworked. 99% of the time, the air monitor is blue (very clean) or greenish-blue (pretty clean). Auto-mode is incredible as well (read below).

For those who would rather read bullets, behold!

PROs:
* Stylin'! While it's still a giant box, at least this has some style to it. For once, it looks like something that belongs in a living room.

* Quiet. Like REALLY quiet. After a few days of this on, I don't even notice it any more. It can get loud if it needs to clean or if you don't use auto mode and select medium or above on the fan. But why would you?

* Ultra-fancy Air Monitor LED - The light 'strip' tells you the quality of the air at the moment, and it's not just 3 levels. It has gradients in between to give you a better idea.

* AUTO MODE!!!! Best part right here. Set it to auto and it will turn itself up and down based on the air quality. It has a light sensor built in that actually does something. When in the dark for a few minutes, it goes into night mode, dimming it's Air Monitor and making sure not to kick into hardcore air-cleaning mode. When it senses light continually for a few minutes, it'll turn itself back into 'day mode.'

CONs:
* Rather short cord -- maybe about 4'

* At least on mine, they slapped a giant 'insert filter' sticker across its face and apparently stuck it with the power of 1,000 gorillas. It's taken me 30 min of scrubbing and Goo Gone-ing before I could get it off. Couldn't they just use a static cling one or something? You're killin' me, smalls!

* Replacement filters seem difficult to locate.

At first, I thought this was a bit expensive for an air purifier. But after having an opportunity to use it for a bit, this will be one of the best investments you can make in yourself. It genuinely improves the quality of life for us allergy sufferers.

**UPDATE 8/1**: I took the first filter out to rinse and left it outside in the sun for a few hours to dry. I came back and it had melted and deformed. It was a pretty warm day (85), but be sure not to do that. That's the only problem I've had with it thus far, it's still an all-around great air filter and I'm still very happy with it!

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to look at, nearly silent fan in night mode but noisy plasma generator and very loud on high., January 26, 2014
-My unit is placed next to a couch that shades it from the window so it is silent mode most of the time but if i turn on a light it sounds like a hurricane then will slow down after a couple minutes.
-If its away from beds or seating areas its probably okay otherwise the plasma needs to be off and the fan on low. My bedrooms are silent. I wouldn't use it in a quiet bedroom at all unless there was a noisy air conditioner or fan already running.

Update (Jun 2, 2014)-5 months later the ionizer sizzle has gone silent which may be good but I'm not sure if that means its working correctly or failed completely.
-Cant seem to access any Friedrich webpages to look for more info.
-The indicator light has also started flashing so I guess it is time to change the filter. Considering the large living room, I consider this to be perfectly acceptable after 5 months

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 31, 2014 1:08:06 PM PDT
Thank you for your review. We're sorry to hear about the noise issues you are experiencing with your new AP260. When in Auto mode, the unit should maintain the lowest fan speed possible to keep your air quality clean and fresh. The fan will operate on the higher fan speeds in Auto mode when it senses worsened air quality. The plasma generator is generally silent, but there are a few conditions that could cause your plasma generator to be making noise (humidity level, debris, etc.). If you would like to contact our US based call center at 1-800-541-6645 (8AM and 5PM CT, Monday through Friday) we can determine if the sound is normal, and if not, we can help correct it. Thank you again for the review and selecting Friedrich.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, amazingly effective, sleek, well-built and beautiful, March 22, 2014
I am one of those people who meticulously researches every appliance on the market before making a purchase like this.

Basically, I was searching for the highest-quality, heaviest-duty, most powerful and rigorously designed HEPA air purifier for under $500 – determined to find something that would completely eliminate all the nasty, stuffy particles and bacteria I could see floating around my rooms.

Ideally, I was also hoping to find something compact, attractive, and modern to fit my house. I really didn’t like the idea of taking up a lot of space with an ugly, cumbersome, loud appliance.

I spent hours looking at the various models from Honeywell, Blueair, Winix, Holmes, Coway, Fellowes, etc.

After spending many hours searching Amazon, specialist air purifier websites, googleshopper, etc., I finally settled on two units to test and select the best from. Each unit boasted 5-stage filters, excellent reviews on online discussion boards and powerful capacities to filter and purify large spaces.

I wound up ordering this Friedrich AP260 for under $300, as well as another model called the ASEPT LifeCell 1550 which was a little more expensive.

After testing each out for a week there was no competition. The Friedrich worked beautifully, and it was an absolute pleasure breathing in the fresh pristine air from the room in which I had placed it. On top of the excellent performance, the Friedrich had by far the best fit, finish and design of anything I had seen online or in person. The filters and materials are truly high quality, the interface is wonderfully responsive and easy to use, and the design is so sleek and cool, it looks like something from the future.

PROS:
-Produces beautifully pristine, fresh, clean air
-Incredible performance & power
-Excellent quality, fit, finish and materials
-Responsive, well-made interface and remote control
-Beautiful modern, clean, slim, sleek design (looks good anywhere)
-Replacement filters are reasonably priced
-Performed better than the more expensive unit I tried out
-Very quiet most of the time, especially on auto mode when I'm sleeping

CONS:

-I also had the problem with the sticker not coming off cleanly on my first unit purchased, but on the second unit I bought this issued was already addressed and it appears they have fully fixed this minor annoyance

Summary: If you want the most powerful, most effective and rigorous solution for purified clean fresh air in your house or office, and you want an attractive, modern, slim, well-built unit that doesn't take up a lot of space or look like a big ugly appliance, this is the way to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great design, February 26, 2014
fish and dog man (West Milford, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
I really like all the features of this air cleaner such as the multiple filters, air quality indicator, very quiet, day/night detection, smaller space clearance required, sleek design is a nice plus also. I have bought Friedrich air cleaners in the past and this is even better.
I feel the air movement/exchange is even more than the old Friedrich.
The price is reasonable for the functions it has compared to other top air cleaners.

I have it in the living room and the air quality indicator light is in red for 2 days except for one morning it was blue, but it could be the area is too large since there are adjacent rooms next to the living room as well. I am going to try cleaning the indicator and see if it helps, but it is likely cleaning the air a lot more than the old one which only had 2 filters and this one has the plasma cleaner also.
I am not hearing hissing noise such as one person's review indicated.

1.0 out of 5 stars Was nice while it lasted, March 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I absolutely love this Friedrich. To be honest, I had a Fellowes unit in my bedroom that I used to find annoyingly loud at times, but I kept it going just so the air in my room would be clean. When I turned on this Friedrich, I could see the difference between the two units was amazing. First, it is quieter. One must keep in mind, however, that there is always some noise to these units. I actually like the hum of the Friedrich as it blocks out noises and allows me to sleep better (with it's low fan). I love to watch the unit go through it's cleansing cycles. I had fried some foods one night earlier this week and forgot about it until I went into bed. I noticed at that that lights on the Friedrich were now red (indicating 'dirty' air), which must have been caused by the frying on the other side of my house. When I woke up in the morning, all the lights were blue again and I didn't detect any smell of the night before's cooking! I can also feel my allergies (which have been bad in South Florida this winter) are relieved immensely. I love this Friedrich and recommend it to anyone looking to breath better and healthier!
Update from June 2014: About two weeks ago I started to hear 5 beeps every 30-60 minutes coming from this purifier. Thinking it might be the filter, I changed out the entire set up (at a cost of $45). Plugged it back in and the beeping started up again and I moved it into my spare bedroom (where I wouldn;t be annoyed). Within a week, the unit shut down and just had the power light flashing and the beeping now is non-stop. I couldn't find the owner's manual, so I searched tirelessly on line to see if Friederich had an online manual. No, they don't (at least not for the AP260). I wrote to Customer Service and I am awaiting a response. I have no idea what is wrong with this unit, used barely 3 months.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably efficient - remote controlled and affordable replacement filters, February 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Friedrich AP260 is a 5-stage air purifier with "plasma". Plasma is a more snazzy way of saying it has the same kind of ionizer found in air cleaners for decades.

The filters in the AP260 are actually pretty impressive - five different filters from a large filter to a HEPA carbon filter. All the filters fit very snugly, and the HEPA has an outer foam barrier to prevent dust from getting in through the sides.

The unit comes in a massive box, is wrapped in plastic, and all the filters are also wrapped in plastic - this makes for quite a mess at the end of unpacking. Not well mentioned in the description is that the system comes with a remote control which offers all the same controls as on the front.

Operation at full speed uses 0.7A (or just 77Watts). This is actually very efficient, as other units like the Sharp Plasmacluster can use up to twice this much.

In a normal sized room, the AP260 actually made the air feel and smell cleaner - no joke. The combination of a room that had been closed up for months (thanks Winter!) and a decent amount of dust definitely gave the system a good workout.

Replacement filters cost $56 - and depending on your usage, you'll need to replace these every 6 months (pre-filters) and once a year (HEPA filter). The kit contains all of these for a full year (2 pre filters and one hepa filter). This is a very good deal, and makes it cheaper to use than most high performance purifiers.

All in all, you can't ask for much more. Things that annoyed me - the blue LED's are too bright and can only be turned off when you switch the auto mode off, and the stickers on the front leave a horrible mess when removed. It took me 20 minutes to clean them off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of great features, one significant drawback., February 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Major rewrite revision 4-27-14.

When I wrote my initial review I had some concerns that have been addressed. For starters I bought a Dylos DC1100 Pro air quality monitor and I have confirmed that the air coming from the AP260 is indeed 99.8% purified of particles down to .5 microns.

The unit has some pretty cool features, listed in no particular order:

1) 4 stage air filtration that includes a pre-filter, anti-bacterial, HEPA and activated carbon. They are estimated to last 6-8 months even with continuous use.

2) The activated carbon filter is very good. It is much more substantial than what you find in other HEPA filers. I find that it will clear my apartment of odors very quickly.

3) It looks very cool, comes with a remote and is easy to assemble.

4) It moves a lot of air for each given level of sound (low, med, high). And at night it senses that the room is dark and it goes into an extra quiet mode where on low it is barely audible (it also dims the LCD lights which is a nice touch).

The main drawback is that the built in air quality monitor simply doesn't work. I trust my Dylos more than the monitor in the Friedrich and they often disagree (the Friedrich will show red even though the Dylos is showing very good air quality). What I do is keep my Dylos air quality monitor nearby and adjust the fan speed as needed based on the actual count of particles in the air--this works well. With my room door shut and the filter on medium I can go from about 600 and 70 on the Dylos (it measures .5 micron and above and 2.5 micron and above in two different numbers) to 50 and 3 by the morning. That's considerably better than my old HEPA filter which was louder and could barely get the readings to 155 and 30.

Will update with decibel readings when my decibel meter arrives.

Silent room with the door shut: 34dB

Unit on low: 35.2dB
Unit on medium: 42.2dB
Unit on high: 53.9db

On low you're paying almost no "noise price" at all and it still moves a decent amount of air on low.

For those of you that care it emits no EMF field unless you're literally an inch away from it. Even just 1/2 foot away from the front and the EMF field drops to background.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an impressive air purifier., February 25, 2014
William Oterson (About 60 miles, or so, east of Manhattan.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The "Friedrich AP260 5-Stage Air Purifier" truly is impressive. I find it very attractive, in white, with blue vertical strip lighting on the front left outlining the touch controls. It comes well packaged with filters included and takes but a minute or two to place the filters within the unit, ready for use. And it isn't heavy or obtrusive.

I placed it, inconspicuously, in a large living area alongside a couch, turned it on and listened to its fan at all speeds. It's a bit, but not unusually loud at high, and used in "Auto" (intelligent mode) its been running mostly on "Low" speed and not noticeable, at all.

Aside from its ability to purify the air I like that most of the power cord length can be hidden within the machine, out of sight, it has a hidden carrying handle and a remote control, too.

I've always relied on Friedrich for quality, as I've air conditioners from that company that seem to last forever, however, it should be understood included filters for this air purifier will have to be changed, probably yearly, at an additional cost and I'm sorry to report this unit is, unfortunately, 'made in China'. I'll have to wait a bit before I can report on its longevity, though, which I promise to do if I find that other than satisfactory.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very advanced, a little sensitive, February 22, 2014
I like this a lot. It is much larger than I expected but that means it has a lot of air cleaning coverage. It does move a lot of air and seems to do a great job.

My only fault would be that the automatic mode seems very sensitive, to what I don't know, but it often goes into "blast" mode for no apparent reason. It's easy to set the speed then manually but I try to leave it in auto when I can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly great for my purposes, February 27, 2014
Neal C. Reynolds (Indianapolis, Indiana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I confess to being a pipe smoker and I've also a proud cat owner, so a high quality air purifier is what the doctor or landlord ordered. Yeah, there's a bit of noise, but not enough to be annoying. The important thing is that it does the job beautifully. Highly recommended.

Rate and Discover Movies