5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, Practical Design
I bought this springform pan based on the recommendation of several trusted sources, including Cook's Illustrated magazine. (They actually tested the model with handles--had that one been available I probably would have spent the extra money for it, but as it is I haven't found any significant inconvenience to the lack of handles with this model).
Although the...
Published on September 23, 2003 by dltstl

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, poor quality
Published on April 17, 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, Practical Design, September 23, 2003
dltstl "dltstl" (Oakland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frieling 9-Inch Glass Bottom Nonstick Springform Pan (Kitchen)
Although the quality and construction overall is excellent, the most obvious feature that distinguishes this from other springform pans is of course the glass bottom. I have been VERY impressed with this innovation! It overcomes a couple of the problems I've had with other (especially cheap) pans: the base's rolled metal edge that traps water & crumbs (which makes for quick rusting and difficult cleaning), and the tendency of the bottom to ding & bend, preventing a tight seal with the collar. This model seals very tightly--when I filled mine with water to check it, the majority of the leaking occurred not around the base but through the collar overlap (an inevitable weak point in the system). Batter of course is much thicker than water, and I haven't experienced any leaking problem when actually baking with it.
Baked products don't stick to it (either the base or the non-stick coated collar), and they don't need to be transferred from the base for cutting and serving, because you won't damage it by cutting on it--something all too easy to do with metal bottoms. The rimless glass bottom presents no impediment to a spatula when lifting out nice, neat slices. You can also look through the glass to check the browning of the crust as it bakes.
I do wish they offered other sizes, but if you're only going to have one size the 9" is the most practical. That's what almost all of my recipes call for, and if necessary you can bake a 8" recipe in a 9" pan (decreasing the baking time slightly)--but not necessarily the other way around.
I'm getting over my initial fear of breaking the glass. The truth is, when securely seated in the collar, the glass is quite well-protected. Probably the biggest recommendation for this is the fact that other manufacturers (including Kaiser) are now starting to copy the glass-bottom idea!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheesecake made easy., May 13, 2000
Clever pan that once the cheesecake is made, unloosen the spring and "voila", your cheesecake is ready to serve.What an idea whose time has come.Hooray for Frieling!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great idea!!, November 7, 2002
Betsy R. (Highland Park, IL USA) - See all my reviews
When my old springform pan began to leak on the bottom of the oven I realized it was time for a replacement. After shopping around a lot I chose this pan. And boy am I glad I did. The idea of a glass bottom is so great because you can see if the crust is getting too dark and serving the cheesecake couldn't be easier. It makes a perfect cheesecake and now I'm planning on ordering another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bake and Serve in One Pan!, May 18, 2000
Dot Bliss (South Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
What a unique idea! No more mess trying to remove a cheesecake from the bakeware to a serving dish or platter. This is a "must have" for anyone who bakes cheesecakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this pan, April 10, 2003
Robin Washington (Birmingham, AL USA) - See all my reviews
I've never been a cheesecake baker, or much of any kind of baker, but with this pan, my cheesecakes come out looking like they came from a bakery or the Cheesecake Factory. Now my friends and family think I'm a chef. This is a fantastic pan, well worth the money!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great pan!, January 10, 2002
This is a fantastic pan! It has heavy duty sides that stand up to wear and the glass bottom is the best! I love my Frieling pan!

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, poor quality, April 17, 2003
By A Customer
I think the glass bottom is a great idea, but the first time I used it, the caramel sauce I poured in quickly leaked through onto the countertop. I thought I had not put the bottom in evenly, but on closer inspection I found that the ring does not close tightly around the glass bottom; it is not even snug. This may be a manufacturing flaw in the pan I bought, since others have not reported the problem.

2.0 out of 5 stars Such high hopes, July 28, 2013
Cook's Illustrated gave high marks for the Frieling springform pan so you can imagine my shock when I realized how bad it leaked!!! Unlike some of the reviewers I didn't think to do a water test beforehand. I baked a cheesecake and found out the hard way. The batter leaked through the crust and bubbled underneath the pan. I have had some cheap springform pans, but they never leaked. Really what kind of seal do I expect with metal and glass? You know what they say about hindsight.

I will say that dispute having to dislodge the escaped burnt batter off the bottom, it was easy to move the cake off the glass to a cake carrier.

4.0 out of 5 stars frieling, June 26, 2009
This is a good pan but I was disappointed to find out this pan didn't have handles like the ones I had purchased previously, my bad. The handles are very helpful when putting in/taking out of water bath and will purchase the ones with handles next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Springform Heaven, February 7, 2010
Frieling makes an excellent product. The construction is solid and there is no leaking. Flat glass bottoms are perfect for serving and avoid the hassle of removing the cake from the bottom of the pan. This pan does not have handles, but I did not have any difficulties removing the pan from the oven. This pan is also less expensive (but same performance) than the same pan with handles.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›