Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Size: 17-Ounce|Style Name: Standard- Polished|Change

on May 30, 2004
If you like the press method of making coffee, I can't imagine a better one than this.

If you are not familiar with the French press method, you should be aware that coffee from a press is not nearly as "squeeky clean" as typical American drip coffee. Grounds are separated by a fine wire mesh on a plunger and a certain amount of fine grinds will ALWAYS get through. To minimize this, your coffee needs to be ground specifically for a press - a much coarser grind than for drip.

But the press is widely regarded as the best way to get all the subtle flavors out of a great coffee bean. This one is beautiful and built like a battleship - you'll never have to replace broken glass insert again. All parts are dishwasher safe.

The Frieling is also insolated but don't get the idea you can let your coffee sit in it. It is not a "thermos". It really is only enough insolation to offset the undesireable thermal conduction properties of stainless steel and keep it superior to its glass/ceramic rivals.

No matter to me. Most coffee experts will tell you to get your coffee separated from the grounds after a 4-5 minute brew or over-extraction and bitter taste can result. So my coffee goes into a pre-heated, insolated carafe as soon as it is brewed.

Because the Frieling is steel, dense, and more massive than your typical glass press, you may need to adjust your brewing procedure slightly to keep it from adversely affecting your brew temperature - ideally 190-200F. I preheat mine with some hot tap water before brewing but I have heard that you can just put boiling water in one, insert the plunger briefly, then brew using the same water which will now have dropped "into the zone".

Happy brewing.

P.S. If you are going to "do the press" I have two suggestions:

- The Baratza/Solis Maestro Plus burr grinder: It's expensive but it produces a vastly superior (consistent) grind to blade grinders.

- CoffeeBeanCorral.com : Learn to roast your own beans and the world will be your cup of coffee.

(one year later) I am back to say this is STILL the best. I use it every day and it gets sent through the dish washer every day. It has taken a couple drops and still works fine.

(FOUR years later - WOW!) What a great press! I still use this every day and it still makes a great cup of coffee!

(TEN years later!!!!) - Well! 2014 and this thing is still selling on Amazon! Mine still works just fine so they can't be getting much repeat business. Still the best!
2121 comments| 751 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2008
I owned a similar product, the Bodum Columbia insulated press Bodum Columbia 34-Ounce Stainless-Steel Thermal Coffee Press Pot for 3 years, and I decided to switch to the Frieling press a few weeks ago. The Bodum has a filter that has a plastic housing and is surrounded by a silicone flap, and the silicone had worn off over time, allowing grounds to get into my coffee. In addition, the plastic absorbed coffee smell over time, making fresh coffee smell old.

The Frieling press has several advantages:

1. All parts are stainless steel. There is no plastic to wear out, break, or absorb odors, and there's no glass to break. It looks and feels well-made.
2. It keeps my coffee warm for maybe twice as long as the Bodum.
3. The filter screen has a smooth edge. I originally bought the Bodum press because the screens on other presses had rough edges that would fray or poke me when I washed them. Bodum fixed the problem by surrounding the screen with plastic, but Frieling takes the common sense option of just hemming it. Smart.
4. It fully disassembles for cleaning.
5. Replacement parts are available through their website.
6. It makes great coffee.

When the press arrived, the connection between the rod and the metal plunger was funky. It wouldn't tighten down all the way, as though the threads didn't quite match. I didn't want to have a whole new press shipped - that seemed wasteful - so I emailed Frieling. They were courteous and apologetic, and they sent me replacement parts within an hour of my emailing them. The parts arrived in perfect condition, and they worked. There are plenty of companies out there that don't stand by their products and treat their customers like they don't matter, so that means a lot to me.

I highly recommend that you buy this press.
11 comment| 246 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2007
I bought this smaller Frieling press because I wanted something just big enough to make one fresh, not over brewed cup of coffee or tea for both my girlfriend and I. It does the job very nicely. There is no plastic involved in its construction. Its all durable stainless steel. The double wall construction does a decent job keeping the water hot while brewing. The mesh does a good job of keeping loose tea and coffee grounds out of what I'm brewing. When you get yours, just make sure you visually check on how well the mesh seals against the inside of the pot. The first one I bought was defective in that way and I sent it right back.
0Comment| 169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2003
Granted it may not be the cheapest but you are getting a quality product. The two best things/selling points I can make are the fact that it is stainless steel meaning you will never have to replace a glass carafe again. Also, the steel is well insulated meaning that if you take your time with your first cup of press coffee, you can be sure the second will stay hot for you. As a side bonus, and unlike single wall stainless French presses you may have seen, this one should hold up to some damage as a ding in the outer wall wouldn't generally show through and cause the plunger to fail to go down. The only detraction, and it's minor, is that the hole in the lid for the plunger handle is not sealed, meaning water/coffee could get into the lid and would not necessarily be easy to remove. I can understand why they didn't try to seal this hole as it would have probably been a somewhat expensive weld and this item is already not so cheap. Still, as someone who's been through literally six presses (Bodums, Alessi, Hario) I think this one beats them all. I tried to upload the little user's manual that came with this press as a PDF which might help you decide.
1414 comments| 359 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2004
I have been using a Bodum glass press pot for several months now. Been wanting a stainless to keep the water hotter during the brewing process. Actually placed an order for the Bodum Columbia, but received this one as a present so I canceled the order for the Bodum.

This pot works extremely well and is very attractive. It is quite substaintial which makes for a very nice feel. The coffee certainly comes out hotter than it did with the glass pot - a definate plus.

I prefer the bottom portion of the filter mechanism on the Bodum vs. this one (the top two pieces of the filters on both are identical). This one's bottom filter element is not flat like the Bodum. It has a slight curve upwards at the edges. Thus the trapped grounds are harder to clean out w/o disassembling the filter vs. the Bodum. It really isn't that big a deal, but I just like the Bodum design better. Unfortunately, both bottom elements have different thread diameters, so the parts aren't interchangeable.

That one small negative aside (you most likely wouldn't see this as a negative unless you've used a Bodum), this is a very nice pot. As a matter of fact, both this pot and the Bodum would benefit from the use of a one-piece filter instead of the three pieces ones supplied with both. If you have one of these, the Frieling will be flawless.

Another nice thing with the Frieling is that you can get a matching sugar and creamer. I'm not sure if you can with the Bodum. If you are into entertaining small groups, this is a vote for the Frieling too.

Highly recommended.
22 comments| 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2009
I bought this for my wife, who likes to read the papers in bed with a HOT cup of coffee on weekends. After using glass French press pots for a while I didn't have much faith that the coffee would really stay drinkable for long - but now I'm a believer.

First of all, this pot is beautiful to look at, the picture does not capture the modern design. It is also solid, especially the press mechanism (which typically breaks on cheaper presses). The mesh seems to be smaller than on other ones as well, so you get a strong cup of coffee without the grounds.

It's perfect for a couple of cups of really good, hot coffee in the morning, well made and pretty - well worth the cost.
on June 15, 2004
I had the opportunity to try French-pressed coffee recently and I was sold immediately. The increased character and complexity just blows even the most carefully drip-brewed coffee right out of the water. The first time I saw a sheen of rich oil (normally removed by paper filters) shining back at me from a piping hot cup, I knew I was in for a treat. I wanted to be able have that wonderful French-press taste at work, but the glass carafe of the other models on the market prohibited the rough transport. Enter the Frieling. Holy moose. This thing is amazing. Even decaf has more character and body (which is great for me since too much caffeine just kills my stomach). It's built like a tank so it can withstand a good tumble in a backpack (just toss that ancient enamel percolater you used to take camping right out the window) and the insulated carafe keeps your perfect cup steaming hot. The carafe holds about 3 standard coffee mugs worth which I found ideal. If you're new to French press, do yourself a favor and purchase a good quality burr grinder with a "very coarse" or "French press" setting. They're expensive, but you're wasting your time if you just drop in some generic-grind supermarket grounds; you won't get the proper extraction from the beans and you'll have a lot of icky sediment. Blade grinders just don't give you a consistent grind and they tend to be a bit "dusty" which will leave you with even more sediment. I should note that sediment is a part of a French-pressed cup anyway, but the Frieling has a superfine steel mesh that removes all but the nearly microscopic grounds, which really just adds to the body of the coffee rather than anything unpleasant, and is an essential part of French-press coffee. This is a fantastic buy for anyone who takes their coffee seriously. The Frieling is also outstanding for loose tea so even if you're not a coffee fanatic you can take advantage of this high-quality piece of brewing equipment. I would also reccommend the Vacu Vin coffee saver to store your fresh ground beans so you can savor the perfect cup just about anywhere.
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2008
Used a Bodum French press until the plastic connection between the plunger screen and shaft loosened to the point where the screen would tilt! as the plunger decended (allowing big time "blow by" of grounds).

Then decided to shop around for really high quality French press and after reading the excellent reviews on the Frieling, bought two of the 6 cup models. Have used these now for a couple of months and have come to really appreciate the German design, engineering, and manufacturing quality of these press pots.

Here are specifics as to what sets them apart (and in my opinion makes them worth the steep prices):

-- All metal construction of the plunger assembly means everthing stays together and aligned (no blow-by due to wobbly screen-to-shaft connections).

-- Very important -- the screen mesh wraps very precisely up and around the sides of the round plunger spring and has never inverted -- on the Bodum the screen would invert when raising the plunger for cleaning -- this meant that the edge of the screen would eventually get very uneven (crinkled along the edge) and allow 'blow by" of grounds when pushing the plunger back down on subsequent use. My impression is that on the Bodum, the screen is a flat disc that wraps up around the side of the spring, whereas on the Frieling it seems that the screen has been pre-molded in a dish-shape to ensure that the edge is smooth as it wraps upward.

-- Screen mesh appears to be somewhat finer than other models, however I've never had a clog.

-- Handle design has really good ergonomics (thumb goes on top of the outer shaft, curled handle makes for a natural smooth pour, and finger gap is just right distance out from body of pot).

-- Double wall insulation means coffee stays acceptably hot for up to 45 minutes.

-- Subtle thing but, with the plunger raised, it's easy to just smap the cover and plunger screen on top of the pot (fits precisely with a resounding 'thunk') while coffee is brewing, and this is stable tight fit (again unlike the Bodum which has a loosely fitting top and plastic insert) so you can walk around with the pot ready to plunge... and equally importantly, because there's no wiggle room at the cover, the plunger goes precisely straight down with no wobbling or walking at the edge of the screen.

-- No drip spout.

-- Clean up is trivial -- just a rinse.

-- Polished stainless steel looks great.

-- Bullet proof stainless steel construction does look like it should last a long time.

BTW, replacement screen/plunger assemblies for all pot sizes are indeed available from the USA importer for Frieling -- just search on "Frieling", go to the consumer products section of the main site and then to the "Coffee Accessories" subsection.
on January 20, 2012
I've been a fan of French-press brewed coffee for years. But after going through umpteen glass carafes due to breakage, I started looking for alternatives. I've tried using plastic carafe types, but the plunger assemblies always leave something to be desired for in quality, I haven't found one that isn't cheap and flimsy. Hesitated before purchasing this because of the price, but after having it for a few weeks, I'm extremely happy with it. The quality of the press is top notch. I really like the brushed stainless steel finish, it's very forgiving of finger prints (unlike polished stainless steel). The pluger is robust, durable, and serviceable. Very easy clean-up, I just dump the grounds, rinse, and give it a quick wipe-down with a paper towel.

Update: 1+ year later and the press still looks as good as the day I got it. The filter screen is still in excellent condition which has not been the case on other presses I have had after extended use.

Update #2: 2+ years later and everything I said in my 1st update is still true.
on July 14, 2012
I bought this press because of the amount of good reviews, and because it is fully stainless steel with no plastic components present.

I drink tea all day long. All day long. I have bags and bags (and cans) of loose leaf tea all over the place and I didn't want to deal with a tea pot + tea infuser combination because the reviews for glass tea pots and infusers are iffy at best. They break, they're delicate, and I'm not sure how clumsy I am.

This product began to form black rust between the mesh basket and the plunger after one week of use.

Yes, I do wash it and dry it by hand. There's absolutely no reason for it to rust, or at least, rust this early.

If it isn't designed for making tea or coffee around five times a day, then there should be a warning somewhere or it really isn't as extravagant of a product as the company and reviewers make it out to be.

In fact, the company has not replied to my e-mails. I actually planned to buy one of the larger versions if they were willing to back up their product, explain a flaw in manufacturing and send me a replacement part (since it is only rusting in one specific area.)

I assume they did not tighten the bolt properly and water is trapped inside and causing the black rust that I can't get rid of no matter how many times I scrub and pick it away.

I am really glad that I bought it while it was on sale. It's not worth the money.

**Update 12/08/12
I began using the carafe as a cup because it keeps my tea hot/warm for about twenty to thirty minutes longer than a normal cup, and no longer use it as a press (to avoid consuming the black rust.) Shortly after, it began to rust (or tarnish) on the inside of the carafe. They also still have not replied to my e-mail.

**Update 18/09/12
I wrote this, after getting attacked by Frieling fan-boys (or workers) in my comments;

After a lot of research in an attempt to find out why my Frieling product rusted, I came to the conclusion that this stainless steel press is no more delicate than glass. Why? Because of the brushed interior. From Wiki:

-----
Brushed or dull polished[1] metal is metal with a unidirectional satin finish. It is produced by polishing the metal with a 120-180 grit belt or wheel then softening with an 80-120 grit greaseless compound or a medium non woven abrasive belt or pad.
The brushing gives the metal a distinctive look, as it retains some but not all of its metallic lustre and is given a pattern of very fine lines parallel to the brushing direction. It can be compared to metal covered with small scratches all running in the same direction.
Commonly brushed metals include stainless steel, aluminium and nickel. Brushed finishes are popular in both small appliances and whiteware,[2] and feature in architecture and automotive design. The Iconic Gateway Arch and DeLorean DMC-12 are both clad in brushed stainless steel.
Brushed finishes typically have a detrimental effect on corrosion resistance. In particular the brushed texture limits the ability of fluid to bead on the material surface. In the case of stainless steel the grooves of the finish can accumulate chloride ions which break down the chromium oxide passivation layer, enabling rusting to occur.[3]
------

Stainless steel stains. If it is scratched, then the scratched area will begin to rust or stain and you will have to buy a special stainless steel cleaner to repeatedly use on the surface to remove any residue of rust or stains. That means you're dishing out extra cash to keep your stainless steel from polluting your coffee or tea after every use if you just so happen to scratch it. Brushed finishes are more prone to rusting, as explained above.

The basket for this Frieling makes scratching the finish very easy. I knew from the beginning that the nails-on-chalk-board sound it made every time I pushed down or pulled up was going to ruin the brushed finish on the inside of the carafe. What I didn't realize was that the 'stainless steel' would become tarnished afterward. The strange part is that I pressed very carefully in an attempt to avoid the noise altogether, so you would think harming the finish would be nearly impossible. Maybe, my Frieling was a bad apple. The finish might have been done poorly while others were done up to standard.

WHAT I LEARNED WHEN RESEARCHING BLACK RUST:

After every use and after every cleaning, a black rust or residue would show up in one specific area. The thickest part of the shaft, between the basket and plunger. I can only fathom that it wasn't assembled tightly and water would sneak into the bolt that holds the basket and shaft together. I researched black rust and found out that it is actually a good form of rust that protects rather than destroys. Is it healthy to drink? Probably not. I wouldn't want to risk it.

Besides the fact that the product has proven to be problematic, their customer service is dead or they just don't care. I purchased the product in May and e-mailed them around June in an attempt to get a new plunger and basket. The press was clearly flawed and I think I deserved a new one, but the silence only suggests that they don't stand behind their products. They only screwed themselves out of making more money; I honestly wanted to buy one of the larger Frieling presses after realizing how small the one I bought was, and I was hoping that I received a rare bad apple.

NOTE:

I'm not an expert and I'm only stating what I've learned on websites; it CAN stain. It DOES stain. I have purchased new french presses but haven't owned them long enough to give anyone a better suggestion. I'll let you guys know later if I have another bad experience.

If you read the comments, someone says rust is red. Rust isn't always red. I researched this. Black rust apparently is a good thing and defeats the purpose of my original complaint (even though it is probably still unhealthy to consume black rust,) yet the company didn't have the courtesy to explain this to me in a reply e-mail. To be honest, they probably wouldn't have even known what black rust was. I just did the work for them.

The same person also made a review and said not to put tea inside of stainless steel. If you read the product description it actually advertises toward loose leaf tea drinkers. "KEEPS HOT DRINKS HOT AND COLD ONES COLD: It's not just for coffee. Our French Press line is perfect for brewing loose tea or even cold beverages like water, milk, ice tea and juice. In the mood for something cold? Use the pitcher to serve water, milk, iced tea, juices." Tea did not cause this problem, and it is also less acidic than coffee if that was his reasoning behind that excuse.

Someone also says that these presses don't have a finish. It says in the product description that there is a mirror and brushed finish. I personally believe that the brushed finish interior was the flaw here and the reason why the basket scratched it so easily. Mirror interior would've allowed a smooth glide of the basket with no rough friction to form scratches.

Take this as you will. I'm only trying to help. Everything could have a simple explanation and I could be incredibly wrong, but with no response from the company, I'm left to try and figure everything out for myself.

**I also want to add that I have a stainless steel stove top water kettle made by OXO and I always leave water in it. There's always water sitting in the kettle waiting to be heated and it never is empty. Never. I don't give it a break. It has NOT rusted at all. There's no discoloration or tarnish. I also have a stainless steel rice cooker that I know is scratched from me hitting it with forks and spoons to move rice around and there's NO rusting. I leave rice in the cooker to soak in water overnight. If it wanted to rust then it had many opportunities to do so.

MY CONCLUSION:

BRUSHED INTERIOR WAS A BAD IDEA. Mirror interior would've been the intelligent way to design this carafe. The basket clearly scratched the brushed finish and caused it to rust. If I force the basket roughly against the exterior there is no noise, nor do I notice any visible scratching. I would probably buy a Frieling again, if they were to ever offer mirror finish interior, just so I can have a stainless steel french press (and I don't know of any other company who offers them.) Until then, they're not worth my money; I will not buy a product prone to scratching and rusting.
review image review image review image
4646 comments| 212 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse