Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 15, 2000
If you are raising support or are getting ready to. This book is a must have. My wife and I have recently got this book and it is revolutionaling the way we view support raising. It not only goes into the biblical and theological purposes for raising support but also gives practical how to dos on raising support. This book has changed how me and my wife do it and I know it will change yours. Spend the 8 bucks and make a very worth while investment that will benifit you the rest of your life! God Bless and go reach the world!
VINE VOICEon June 25, 2010
This book is not a detailed step-by-step method for fund raising. It is a book designed to help set the attitudes of your heart in a place where you can begin to pursue your call from God as a faith based missionary. In essence she builds her teaching around four pillars of truth. Each of these pillars represents a specific principle which she effectively opens up with plenty of clear illustrations and scripture to reinforce the point. The book is written in a style that is easy to read and will impact your heart. The four pillars she gives are: Friend Raising, Generosity, Communication, Prayer with Promises.
After these she goes into practical issues, identifying and removing hindrances, showing it can work anywhere, and building your faith with stories of these teachings working. She also gives some tips on newsletters that are helpful.

Perhaps my favorite part of the book is the section where she gives a string of scriptures to help you overcome discouragement. It's placed at a point in the book where a missionary will naturally start to become discouraged unless they are boosted by God. She put a long list of scriptures there with some text so that you get the encouragement on the spot.

The author has a long experiential history on this subject and so she writes with a kind of authority that is far from ivory tower teachings. She is like a veteran soldier writing from the trenches to tell new soldiers what to do and how to survive in the trenches of the spiritual war that we are fighting...no more than survive...how to thrive. I think this is a GREAT book.

I am transitioning from the pastorate to a faith based mission. So I personally am struggling with many of the issues that she raises in this book. A friend who is coaching me recommended this book. I also picked up a few others on this subject. After perusing them all, this one drew me in. I'm now thinking it's so good that I need to have my whole family read it so we are all on the same page. I don't know if I will actually do that, but it gives you the feeling I have as I've read it.

This book really has impacted me the most in knocking out unhealthy attitudes about fund raising from my heart...convicting me and leading me to change rather quickly...laying a biblical foundation for fund raising (she focuses on friend raising), and providing practical tips for immediate use. (She talks about writing thank you notes immediately after receiving donations). However, some of her tips are antiquated electronically and need to be updated. It's just one or two little things though.

I think that this book should be at the front of the line for any missionary or campus minister who is raising support to do a good work for the Lord. If you have only a few bucks to spend on this topic (a reasonable guess I suppose), get this book. It probably be one that you keep nearby as you raise support for your work for God.
on August 14, 2010
I enjoyed reading Friend Raising by Betty Barnett. The book compelled me to continually pray and search my feelings and motives. Jesus' correlation between our treasure and our heart definitely holds true for every person, including me. The topic of money and finances is never far from our thoughts and words. That being said, I learned many valuable concepts from this book. To list a few succinctly: 1) that people will sometimes expect spiritual help from missionaries, 2) that communication with supporters will require a sizable investment of time, 3) that generosity must exude from all I do, 4) that God's economy of giving/receiving is a far superior to the world's economy of buying/selling, and 5) that my weakness provides me opportunity to give God praise. Unquestionably, Betty's axiom of interdependence within the body of Christ holds true for me just as for any other person. I am weak. I need Christ. I need the body.
on March 7, 2004
Thanks to Betty Barnett for her excellent book on personal support raising. Her emphasis on trusting God and building relationships with donors is right on. When raising support, it is all about sharing your vision and life, and Betty helps us understand how to do both. Thanks Betty!
on January 26, 2006
I was recommended to read this, (borrowed it from a friend) to assist in my support-raising ... not even halfway through, i have already seen the truths of what she talks about, many of the points she makes are ones that I have had to learn already. Very much recommended for anyone starting out who needs some good advice or encouragement.

I have bought my own copy of the book and plan to take it with me on the mission field for its reminders of God's promises, support-raising tips, and uplifting stories that confirm my own experiences.

Get a copy for your church, yourself or any friends who rely on God's use of other people to supply for ministry expenses.

[...]
on June 20, 2013
This book is a knockoff from People Raising. I found it to be watered down and only slightly helpful. I would not recommend it as a way to raise support. Fundraising is much better. But I did get a few ideas from the book that I practice today. Such as focus on teh relationships. Don't get all excited to return home frmo a mission trip thinking everyone wants to hear about your expereince. She states many people want to do the talking and you need to learn how to rather listen to them..
on December 8, 2012
I got this book because it was recommended by YWAM if I wanted to read a book about support raising. It has changed my views and helped me so much with many of my questions. I highly recommend this book.
on November 30, 2012
Those who find themselves looking into the missionary field should really have to read this book. It's a great resource to teach people that raising funds is not just about money but about relationships.
on February 21, 2014
Looking for a great book on supporting your biblical view of how to encourage your friends & family to become part of your financial support team? Look no further!

This book is simple yet spot on! It's short & to the point!

Nuff said! God bless!
on October 20, 2013
I am just beginning my Fried Raising and so appreciated the teaching and foundation to the process I will want to follow. I refer back to this on a regular basis to 1- set my heart right for what is my job and what is God's. 2 - follow a proven process that many before me have found successful.