4.0 out of 5 stars A good pool game with no invasive permissions!
Game play:

Published 21 months ago by jjceo

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair enough!
Yes! - I have played Pool games on PCs before and I did enjoy them as it had some good arcade style kick to it.

Published 21 months ago by rbhatta

4.0 out of 5 stars A good pool game with no invasive permissions!, October 17, 2012
Game play:

The game has a fairly good tutorial and it was easy to follow. I did like how the cue ball has a targeting line shown on the table and the further you pull back the cue the harder the shot and the darker the targeting line. The game physics are pretty good and the game was played by the AI in a fair manner. I did not understand some of the rule differences like the AI using my balls in 8 ball for combinations but I guess once you learned how this game was programed you can use the same rules.

Home screen:
* Exit
* Play
* Pages of paper icon lists the Unlocks and the Rules (Rules does not work)
* Setup - allows you to set up the controls, graphics and audio.

What I like:

The game has very good graphics and the pool table is large and easy to see on the Kindle Fire. The game physics were good and the game was able to be played with some skill on your behalf. The game permissions were minimal and there are no permissions that allowed excessive access to your device or network.

What I don't like:

Odd rules during the game:
* I would make a shot in 8 ball and the AI would take the next turn.
* I would make a ball on the break and the AI would take the color that I was shooting.
* Being able to place the cue ball anywhere on the table after a scratch, we always put it behind the break line.

The force of shooting the ball is only shown by the darkness of the targeting line. I would like to see a scale of one to ten also shown as I shot many times too softly because I was unable to properly determine the shooting force I was using.

Summary:

Overall this is a good game and it plays well on the Kindle Fire. I like how the pool table fills the entire screen and valuable display space is not wasted. The physics are well done and game play is fun.

I wish it had a better way of judging how hard you hit the ball as I had some difficulty in telling the shooting force by the darkness of the targeting line. The rules were also different than those I learned to play pool by but once you learn how the AI is playing then the game is balanced as far as game play is concerned.

I also liked the fact that there were no invasive permissions within the game. Overall I would rate it a 4 star game.

Size: The game is listed at 15 MB but it puts 1.48 MB in the app memory and 17.704 MB in the Kindle memory dedicated for books and your other data.

Permissions:
* Storage - modify/delete internal storage contents
* Hardware controls - control vibrator

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair enough!, October 17, 2012
This review is from: Total Pool (App)

Having said, there is really no comparison to the 'actual pool' table as the rules really do not apply to a game by the book and also there are some few 'quirks' in controls and the game's Artificial intelligence has some unfair advantages when it decides on the colors it shoots next.

EDIT OCT 17,2012: - Gets a 3 star rating!
-----------------

See comments from the developer "You can call balls and pockets by tapping on them". - This makes the game-play fair to some extent. I never knew you could call balls! on a pool game WOW! - I guess I need to read the official rule book :D

Upped the rating from 2 stars to 3 stars - Kudos to developer for actively participating and commenting providing fast constructive feedback, I have never seen this before. - Thanks! for that!

While game look cool graphically on Kindle Fire it does not really tell you clearly how hard you need to hit the ball as the interface feedback is poor. Most of the time I ended up hitting too softly and lost my patience. Total Pool game while it utilizes the full real estate of the screen (Thanks for that thoughtfulness) but it is not easy to play as you do end up frustrated at most times. Heck! I could not get past the tutorial till I tried several times to get my moves correct.

The controls do work okay to some extent after getting used to it after about hour of fiddle-de-do but honestly I did not like the interface that much and I am forced to give 3 stars and a 'So-and-So' rating for the game play and still learning master the controls.

It is free and there are no evasive permission issues. But I would hold off till developer tweaks the controls and releases an update to make the game-play more fun.

Thanks for reading my review. If you find the review not useful please do comment why you did not like it.

Cheers!

3.0 out of 5 stars ok game but flawed, October 17, 2012
This review is from: Total Pool (App)
The game wasn't that bad but it has a few flaws.

Pro's
- It was free.
- Has a few different modes

Con's
- It feels like a kid game more then a pool game.
- Although the cpu didn't win it seemed to never miss unless the ball was blocked by one of mine.
- After I made a shot it gave the turn over to the cpu.

Not much else to say about this game except it needs a few bugs worked out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very well done!, October 17, 2012
This review is from: Total Pool (App)
The physics of the game play very well. If you go through the tutorial, and pay close attention, you will understand how to spin and adjust cue elevation. You don't have to pull back on the stick from where the cue ball is located, but from anywhere in the board.

Adjusting your stroke is easy enough by simply adjusting how far you pull from the starting point on the board.

The only small challenge was figuring out how to get out of the tutorial and into game play. Using the LEFT arrow at the bottom left of the screen solves that and then you get to choose your style of play with challenge or match play. I pressed forward with challenges which was helpful in learning the board controls.

I would recommend only two improvements. 1) Add a help file to explain the board navigation. 2) Improve the drain on battery life as passing through 15 challenges and the tutorial session used about 35% of my battery and my Galaxy S3 got warm in my hand.

With those changes, this would get 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!, December 12, 2012
Uncle Tony (OC California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Total Pool (App)
With all the games I have on my phone and tablet, this one is my go to more often than not. It's well laid out and easy enough to learn but from there, well, it's pool so it takes time to master. While it's obviously different than actually playing all the rules apply and you can improve your "real life" game by improving your use of angles and English. I definitely recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool game, November 9, 2012
This review is from: Total Pool (App)
This is actually a pretty good game. I play this a lot and love it. I got this when it was the Free Paid app of the day but knowing how good it is I would pay for it now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Pool, intro only, November 6, 2012
This review is from: Total Pool (App)
Looks like a really fun game, however I can't get past the tutorial to actually play the game. FIX IT.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylus YES ... Finger NO!, November 5, 2012
Yakkster (CA, Foothills) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Total Pool (App)
I'm playing on a 7" HTC View which is great size for reading, but wish for a little larger screen for Total Pool. I'm an old fart and haven't played on a real pool table for years, but as for realism I have to say this game is very good as I'm just as bad a shooter now as I was back then. I started playing Total Pool with my index finger, but found a short stylus pen is MUCH better for both viewing the table and improving shooting accuracy. With finger I got a LOT of frustrating miscued accidental shots. With the stylus much less.

I spent the first week on challenges. Now I'm playing "8" ball. As bad as I am my built-in opponent is worse. I win about 75% games at the easiest level.

While my shooting skills are frustrating I'm still motivated to get better. I enjoy the realistic action of the game, the ball movements with English, etc. I like the graphic and audio qualities. The balls are high def sharp edged accurate in size, color, and motion. Ball cracking sounds are good to my partial deaf ears and I do like the background music played low.

I usually spend a lot of time reading. Now that I'm hooked on Total Pool a lot less reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, October 17, 2012
This review is from: Total Pool (App)
This game is a lot better than some of the other pool style apps I've tried. To the people. complaining about it giving your turn to your opponent, it might be because the ball didn't go in the called pocket? In eight ball, I have always played where you only have to call the pocket for the eight ball. However, this game calls a pocket for every ball. If you don't pick, it guesses. If you get the ball, but not in the called pocket, you lose your turn. I would like to be able to turn this feature off personally, but its not a big deal. Also, the computer at times is super accurate, but then suddenly it's not, like it gets a lucky streak.
Overall, I enjoy getting this and its great that its free today.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice Billiards Sim, October 17, 2012
This review is from: Total Pool (App)
Amazing graphics, great physics, plenty of setting options, many game options, challenges, unlocks, fantastic app permissions, and a reasonable price. I took off one star because there is another pool simply called "Pool Break Pro" that has everything this title has and online multiplayer. While this title has pass and play, it lacks an online component.

However, if you have no interest in online multiplayer and want something that does not need network permissions, then this app is exactly what you are looking for in a billiards game.

Thank you Dev/Amazon.