4.0 out of 5 stars Think: When Harry Met Sally (Had a Baby)
I never write reviews. But I felt the need to defend this one because it's REALLY REALLY GOOD. Jennifer Westfeldt is wonderful. Adam Scott too. The supporting cast manages to pull off rich, 3-dimensional characters with little screen time because all characters are well-drawn and well-cast.

Think "When Harry Met Sally." There is no fake orgasm scene, but you do...
Published on July 28, 2012 by Lauren

1.0 out of 5 stars A Hollow & Depressing Worldview
I really tried to like this movie. It seemed to have the potential to win me over and I thought that in the last 5 minutes it was going to successfully warm my heart. As it turned out, the last 1 minute put such a rotten taste in my mouth that I wish that I could have those entire 108 minutes of my life back.

First off, I must disclaim that I am not a prude. I...
Published on January 2, 2013 by Nicholas McWhirter

4.0 out of 5 stars Think: When Harry Met Sally (Had a Baby), July 28, 2012

Think "When Harry Met Sally." There is no fake orgasm scene, but you do drop in and out of these people's lives as they inch closer toward each other and further away. Toward the end, I half expected Billy Crystal to show up and say "I came here tonight because when you realize that you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

It might not be what people are used to in terms of a "romantic comedy" (or what passes for one today). Instead, it's engaging and true-to-life. I smiled more than I laughed, but I smiled a lot.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Hollow & Depressing Worldview, January 2, 2013

First off, I must disclaim that I am not a prude. I am a progressive man who understands that we live in modern times and I find validity in all sorts of relationship variants, family structure types, and believe that they all carry currency and have the potential to provide a meaningful, satisfactory life. With all that said, I must admit: this movie really disappointed me.

The entire premise of the film is superficial and the male main character, Jason (Adam Scott), is particularly irritatingly hollow. His world is viewed only through the lens of his sexual conquests. I found it totally uninteresting and certainly not worth the time spent on screen exploring this one-dimensional worldview. Next, the movie does everything in its power to create an awkward tension between Jason and Julie throughout the ENTIRE film, and then we are left to imagine it all working out in the last few moments that this tension magically resolves and they live happily ever after? Great care was taken to paint a realistic picture of parenthood (albeit, quite stereotypical, to be fair), a realistic view of the complexity of long term friendships between couples, and then, in the final moments of the film, we're delivered a COMPLETELY fake and forced resolution. Just when it seems Jason is going to finally "get it" -- that meaningful relationships are not merely about sex and that initial passions eventually morph into long term mutual respect and partnership -- he offers, as a symbol of his commitment to Julie, to "F" the "S" out of her (insert crude language here). In that situation, would anyone actually ever say that? I don't think so.

There are plenty of great films who succeed at being both 'comedy' and 'drama'. However, in my opinion, this film is simply not one of them.

2.0 out of 5 stars meh, August 14, 2012
I thought this might be a fun movie about the changes people go through when they become parents. It was funny from time to time, and did show how parenting wears on people, but the part that sticks with me is what a bunch of self absorbed jerks the characters are. That and what must be one of _the_ stupidest romantic exchanges in cinematic history: "I'm gonna f___ the sh__ out of you"... "OK f___ the sh__ out of me". This is what you say to someone you just realized is your soul mate? This might be where I got too old and out of touch to understand popular culture.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horse manure, September 10, 2012
David Ljunggren (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friends With Kids (DVD)
Within two minutes of this crass, vulgar so-called comedy, one of the supposedly charming male leads tells a female friend over the phone that she needs to get the cobwebs out of her vagina. Less than 10 minutes in, he's telling her men worry about their partners having a baby because they fret the mother's vaginas will become cavernous and therefore she won't be attractive. And click went the off button. I've seen my wife struggle at times to deal with almost casual sexism that can damage a career, I watch with alarm as my teenage daughter navigates a modern culture where some players seem to delight in putting down women, and Friends with Kids is just continuing that trend. Shame on everyone involved in this pile of ordure.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jennifer Westfeldt's face...what happened?, July 22, 2012
I have never watched a movie where I was so distracted by an actor's plastic surgery. Jennifer Westfeldt's face held me in morbid fascination - her mouth moves, but the rest of her face remains inert. She tries to speak, but her upper lip curls downward and she appears to be smirking. She is unable to even speak properly as her face has been stretched by so many fillers and Botox that it no longer functions normally. Her face has become a grotesque mask that should serve to horrify anyone considering any of these unnecessary procedures. My husband said she looks like a Muppet.

For an actor, this needs to be viewed in the same light as an athlete who decides not to train, or gains a hundred pounds. An actor's job is to emote, to perform, to inhabit a character...If you cannot express yourself because your whole face is frozen and distorted, you should no longer be eligible to be in this profession. It is an insult to the audience. It was shocking, actually - all of us kept commenting on this actress's face, not on her acting ability, the (vapid) dialogue being delivered, or the (ridiculous) storyline.

There is a scene in a restaurant where a family is having a meal. The mother turns to the camera and her face is completely unnatural: bloated lips, injected cheekbones, and when she spoke her one line of dialogue, again it was like watching a plastic mannequin. Is this the future? No wonder Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren are still winning awards - that is the ultimate irony: Age normally, and you get to keep your job.

You may think these observations are irrelevent, but they are not. If this were a superbly written film, perhaps I could have maintained my focus elsewhere. As it was not - infact, it is insufferably bad - most of my attention latched onto all of the terrible plastic surgery that is going on in Hollywood. How sad that women are willing to render themselves unrecognizable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jon Hamm must have called in a LOT of favors to get this stinker made!, April 20, 2013
EAlves (New England) - See all my reviews
I cannot believe how awful this film was. Jennifer Westfeldt's real-life partner, Jon Hamm, must have called in a ton of favors both with his former co-stars Wiig, Rudolph and O'Dowd and the studio to see this project come to fruition.
Where to begin? Westfeldt is a terrible actress, as evidenced by her "work" in the mediocre "Kissing Jessica Stein." Why, oh why, does she insist on handing lead roles to herself? Oh, I know - probably because she would never, EVER get cast otherwise. In addition to her terrible acting, Westfeldt has clearly had some pretty awful plastic surgery on her face; something that has resulted in her absolute inability to show emotion at all (as well as resulted in recurring nightmares for me.)
Poor Adam Scott, who I usually like, has zero chemistry with Westfeldt (see: comments on plastic surgery above for partial explanation) and seems to be pretty lost throughout the entire film.
The rest of the co-stars also seem lost, bored and/or embarrassed; Wiig is tragically underused, especially. I guess I would attribute all of this to Westfeldt's poor directing.
The story and writing are mediocre, and the ending is both predictable and forced.
All in all, if I could give this film zero stars, I would. It's just a bad film, through and through. I hope Jennifer Westfeldt can now admit to herself that maybe it's time to try her hand at something else...ANYTHING ELSE...PLEASE!! It's pathetic to use your partner's success in order to try to become successful yourself in a field in which you have no talent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a comedy, July 19, 2012
This review is from: Friends With Kids (DVD)
I would really love to know why a movie that is in fact a drama would advertise itself as a comedy? The moviegoer, in this case, me, settles in to expect to laugh, especially with the cast of Friends with Kids but instead waits......and waits......and waits for the funny. The funny never comes. So the viewer gets disappointed and ends up thinking it's going to end up on her "most hated movies" list when really if they would have advertised it as a drama she would have approached it as such and could have made her determination based on the movie being serious....but, nooooooooo, she just gets to watch a really unfunny comedy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, December 3, 2013
For all the well known actors in this movie it was very disappointing. Not worth watching. I was very disappointed!

1.0 out of 5 stars Sooo BAD!!!, June 20, 2013
Sooo boring, and lacking any depth! It's an obvious storyline. The two main characters couldn't be more boring and such bad actors. Such a shame that Kristen Wigg, John Hamm and Mia Rudolph wasted their great talents on such a less then par storyline.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad, very very bad, June 6, 2013
What a total waste of time. The main characters had no honor in themselves nor each other. Shallow with no concept of reality. I regret having watched this movie.

Life does have its good times and bad times. Parenting has its good times and bad times. This movie portrays a grossly over-stereotyped view of what parenthood might feel like to a non-parent.

Why would a writer write such a story? Why would actors star in such a movie? Why would publishers public such a story? Must have been a money grab.

Friends with Kids [Blu-ray]
Friends with Kids [Blu-ray] by Jennifer Westfeldt (Blu-ray - 2012)
$19.99 $9.60