5.0 out of 5 stars great
this book was wonderful - well written and well illustrated
i highly recommend gifting it to anyone, and especially children who have received First Holy Communion.
excellent explanation of the Eucharist, Mass, Confession, and Adoration - simply put and understandable.
we are grateful for its printing!
Published on January 22, 2012 by stephania

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great for kids who already know their Catechism
I had high hopes for this book based on the 5 star reviews but to be honest I was very much disappointed. I was REALLY looking forward to it and the main complaint I have is that it could have been so much deeper and meaningful. I was disappointed not so much with any direct flaws, but by what I wanted and expected it to be.

My kids know their Baltimore...
Published 23 months ago by N. Porter

5.0 out of 5 stars great, January 22, 2012
This review is from: Friendship with Jesus: Pope Benedict XVI Talks to Children on Their First Holy Communion (Hardcover)
this book was wonderful - well written and well illustrated
we are grateful for its printing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great for kids who already know their Catechism, March 2, 2013

My kids know their Baltimore Catechism pretty well so I found the questions from the kids to be from more of a "I don't know my faith and I'm Catholic" perspective. Many of the basic questions the kids SHOULD already know if they have received their First Communion. Apparently the variety of questions they had in there were from kids who were poorly catechized. I expected a little of this, but I was disappointed that my kids couldn't relate to any of the questions really. One of the BEST questions was: "In preparing for my First Communion my catechist told me that Jesus was in the Holy Eucharist. But how? I can't see him!" This was probably the only question that I loved that gave the kids better insight... but again, this is stuff they already know. I think it's a good book for most Catholics, but not worth it if you are already putting a lot into their catechesis.

There is a question in there too about parents who do not attend Mass on Sundays and the child wants to know how to go if his parents don't go. I didn't mind the question, but some parents might. But it does show who the book is written for.

I also felt like there were not very many questions asked in the book. It just took a few minutes for me to read through it.

There were lots of things I did like about the book: the Pope's answers were good (but many were basic because the questions were basic). The picture book format was nice and the pictures were vibrant. It does paint the Pope as a more "child friendly" figure which I appreciate. And to be honest, my kids liked it. When asked about it they said that they liked the pictures. :D I guess I just felt like for the 12.00 I paid I could have put the money to better use.

Overall, I would definitely recommend it for Catholic family members who are buying a gift for a young Catholic growing up in a household that is not catechized well. Probably not the best for a Catholic homeschooling family that already does other religious studies. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars great book!, January 8, 2012
mp (Johns Creek, GA USA) - See all my reviews
this insightful book captures the Pope's words beautifully and goes right to the heart of so many questions that children have about Jesus and their first Holy Communion.
Just loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sweet gift for First Communion, May 7, 2012
This book is the perfect gift for a child's first communion. The questions the children ask and the Pope answers are good for both the child and the parents to read. It also adds a sense of humanity and realism to "the Pope." Sometimes I think he may seem unreal or untouchable to the kids and this book shows his love and patience with kids. Highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, May 9, 2012
I was a bit nervous about buying this book for my son's First Communion, as we are traditional Catholics, but I am so glad I did. My son loved the book, we loved the discussion questions, and the illustrations are beautiful. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, March 7, 2013
This book has exceptionally beautiful watercolor paintings. The conversations between Pope Benedict and the children are special as well. I gave my son this book in anticipation of his first communion. He loves it and appreciates it especially because we just said goodbye to Pope Benedict, and this book is a lovely keepsake to remember him by as our Holy Father.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and informative!, June 7, 2014
I bought this book to help me explain the concept of the Eucharist to my second grade faith formation class next year. It absolutely met and exceeded my expectations! I love the beautiful illustrations and that the questions and answers were from real children and the pope emeritus. Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, May 26, 2014
This was a perfect book to give a little boy for his First Holy Communion. Even though Pope Benedict has retired it was interesting to see how he responded to the children's questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars The kids could relate, December 10, 2013
I used this with the kids in my First Communion class. They enjoyed it. They were very into the Pope at the time because this was when Benedict retired. They had many questions about him. So they liked hearing this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great First Communion Gift, April 21, 2013
This is an awesome book. It reads like a story, and has a page size picture next to a page of text. After the story is set up, each page is a question from a child, the Pope's answer, a question for the reader to ask himself and a bible quote. It sounds like a lot, and it is very rich, but it is in language a child receiving their First Eucharist can understand. It illustrates the love Pope Benedict XVI has for the children of this world and Christ's message in a very understandable format. The questions are definitely those that a typical child would ask. The answers are straight forward.

$14.95 $10.87