5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than "Miracle at Midnight", July 29, 2000
This review is from: Friendship in Vienna [VHS] (VHS Tape)
It's odd that Disney withdrew this video since it is perhaps one of the finest made about the Holocaust, particularly the difficult decisions that both gentiles and Jews had to make about their relationships after the Nazi anschluss with Austria. Unlike Denmark, which held no inherent animosity toward Danish Jews, the situation was not the same in Austria. There was far more pressure put upon Austrians to join the Nazis' anti-semitic frenzy, and many Austrians willingly joined in. This movie takes the situation to the difficult personal and family level. It is proof of that song in "South Pacific"--"You Have to be Carefully Taught" (to hate and fear)--is right on the money. The two movies complement each other perfectly, showing two different situations and how each of them ultimately evolved.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this video, September 26, 1997
This review is from: Friendship in Vienna [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I am a teacher of 7th graders and I have shown this movie to my students when we studied Anne Frank and the Holocaust. It was very effective in bringing the horror of that time period to life. The fact that the movie features two early adolescent girls, one Catholic and one Jewish, made it easy for my students to identify with these characters. I also appreaciated that this movie was not about blood and gore, but focused on the emotional costs of the build up to the Holocaust, how two young girls' lives were turned upside down and torn apart by the events of history. I think we live in a world that has become numb to blood and violence and gore, because of how much of it permeates the airwaves of our culture. This movie, I feel, reached below that numbness. I especially recommend the movie to 12 and 13 year olds. END

5.0 out of 5 stars A Friendship Worth Following:, December 3, 2004
This review is from: Friendship in Vienna [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Vienna 1938 - The innocent friendship between schoolmates Inge and Lise creates tension between their families because Inge is Jewish, and Lise is the daughter of a high-ranking Nazi. With Hitler in power and World War II about to erupt in Europe, it's a time for fear and uncertainty for all. But as the persecution of the Austrian Jews increases, the girl's courage grows and their special friendship triumphs over discriminimation.

Emmy Award winner Ed Asner (Roots, Lou Grant) stars as Inge's grandfather with Oscar nominee Jane Alexander (Kramer vs. Kramer) and Stephen Macht (Cagney & Lacey) as her parents. This award winning film is a compelling tale of unselfish loyalty and courage - it's sure to become a family favorite!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stays with you..., June 10, 2000
This review is from: Friendship in Vienna [VHS] (VHS Tape)
It's been about 5 years since I've seen this film but I STILL remember it very well. I first saw it when I was 8 years old and had it on VHS. I had it until I was about 13 & watched it often, until someone taped over it. >:( Anyway, the thing about this movie, is the way it draws you in and forces you to feel the emotional trauma of the war. The fact that I could be interested in this type of film at 8, shows how it reaches out & grabs your attention and presents the tumult of the times in an uncomplicated way. Very touching, intriguing, interesting, & educational... this is about all I can say since I haven't seen it in a long time. It's good enough that I came to Amazon looking to buy it because I remembered how much I liked... but it's out of print :( Soooo I'm really hoping the powers that be decide to reissue it sometime soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Movie ~ A Must-See!, April 3, 2000
This review is from: Friendship in Vienna [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This movie has captivated me ever since I first saw it when I was in the seventh grade. Now a college student, I appreciate it even more for its truthfulness about the era and the story it can tell to new generations. I definitely recommend it to anyone who can get their hands on it... I'm only disappointed that it is currently not being produced, because I need another copy - I wore mine out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Moving Story, July 13, 2008
B. Johnson (Norfolk, Va USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friendship in Vienna [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This is a beautiful and moving story about friendship and the high price that so many innocent people paid. This story like others gives in-sight into just the type of things that had to be done in order to survive and it gives the viewer the rare ability to see a story of survival. What one friend does for another is truly amazing. Because as Lisa tells her priest.... not saving three people from harm.... must surely dis-obey the laws of GOD. I truly wish that this movie were available on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, timeless story, January 29, 2007
S. Allen (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friendship in Vienna [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This movie is such a touching story. It's a very personal tale of a world event. The cast has some heav-hitters. The young girls are great as well. I taped this off TV when I was a kid. Now, at age 30, I still watch it! It's good for all ages. A real tear-jerker. I can't believe it hasn't been offered on DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for friendship, June 16, 1999
This review is from: Friendship in Vienna [VHS] (VHS Tape)
my teacher did a novle studie on number the stars. we whatched this movie and compared it with number the stars. she also was trieing to get us to understand what hitller did to the jews

5.0 out of 5 stars Friendship in Vienna, July 4, 2010
This review is from: Friendship in Vienna [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Service was excellent. I requested having the film sent quickly for a showing to students and it was sent without delay. I also received a response from the person letting me know that my request was being honored.
The story shows how a friendship of 2 girls, one Jewish and one Christian saved the lives of the family, with the help of the priest. Good comparisons of each family and some historical perspective of changes in the 1930's and 1940's in Vienna. Excellent for school viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Friendship in Vienna, November 27, 2011
This review is from: Friendship in Vienna [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This movie should be a required movie in history classes where the Holocaust is being discussed. It is a fictional story that introduces the struggles of the Jewish people in occupied countries during World War II. Every school library should have this film in its circulation.

Friendship in Vienna [VHS]
Friendship in Vienna [VHS] by Arthur Allan Seidelman (VHS Tape - 1993)
Used & New from: $14.95