on September 9, 2010
UPDATE SEPTEMBER 2013: Had the unit in storage for a year while we were moving cross country. Upon arrival I plugged it in and it fired right up, sounding just like it ever did. BUT, after 24 hours no condensation and there is oil leaking out of the condensate drain plug inside the unit. Finally failed, it appears... but at 3 full seasons it seems to have lasted longer than a lot of folks get out of their units (and by NO means just Frigidaire's, judging by reviews!)

ORIGINAL POSTS: Have had the Frigidaire 70 pint unit for about 3 weeks now, and am quite happy with the purchase so far. I got it for the fairly large basement of a 150 year old house in Upstate NY. The first day I ran it in the bedroom just to see how it worked.

Noise: It is definitely not silent, but I'm used to a 12000 btu window a/c unit running all the time and compared to that this dehumidifier is quieter. On the other hand it is quite a bit louder than a refrigerator. It really boils down to your tolerance for white noise. I prefer white noise while I am sleeping, but some do not. You can cut down on the noise some by selecting the low fan speed, but the compressor noise is the same (while the compressor is running) regardless of the fan speed. The compressor cycles on and off depending on the humidity set point you input, or you can set it to run all the time.

Heat: A note on how dehumidifiers work and why they heat up the room they are in; they have an internal refrigeration compressor exactly like the one in an air conditioner or a refrigerator. Depending on the capacity of the unit (pints per day it is rated to remove) that refrigeration system will be bigger (ie draw more power and likely be louder) or smaller, but they ALL have a refrigeration compressor. During part of the refrigeration cycle the compressor, as the name says, compresses the refrigerant gas inside the system. That creates heat. All compressors do this, whether in a refrigerator, freezer, air conditioner or dehumidifier. With an air conditioner the heat is ejected to the outdoors, along with the heat collected from the room, hence the room gets cooler (and less humid). With a refrigerator and a dehumidifier there is no connection to the outside so the heat created by the compressor stays in the room. Put your hand by the bottom of your refrigerator when you hear it running and you will feel warm air coming out. Dehumidifiers work EXACTLY the same way. All of the comments I see (not just for this unit) about some dehumidifiers NOT heating up the room are nonsense. There is no magic dehumidifier that does not produce heat, just like there is no car that does not require fuel. It is physics.

The main difference between dehumidifiers, then, is how much power their compressor draws which depends on what the humidity removal rating is. That heat, however much it is, is going to go into the room the dehumidifier is sitting in and warm it up. This unit is at the high end of portable dehumidifier capacity, at 70 pints per day, so it has a larger than average compressor inside. That means that while the compressor is running it will put out more heat than a lower rated compressor. Keep in mind that the compressor does not necessarily run all the time. If you set it to turn off at a certain humidity the compressor will turn off once that humidity set point is reached. However, the fan will continue to run at whatever speed you set it at, high or low, regardless of the compressor being on or off. The only time the fan turns off is if the unit shuts off due to a full bucket. (EDIT: Once the unit reaches its humidity setpoint and stabilizes there the fan actually does turn off. It then periodically restarts so it can draw room air through the unit and check that the humidity hasn't gone back above the setpoint, in which case the compressor would kick on again. It took so long to reach this point in the basement of my old house that I thought for a long time that it never turned off.)

All of that said, this unit in my fairly large bedroom raised the temperature from 75 to about 80, BUT it dropped the humidity from 65% to 45% in a short time and I FELT less hot, even though the room was warmer. (Your body gets rid of heat by sweating. The lower the humidity the more efficient the heat removal by sweating is. With very low humidity your sweat evaporates so quickly you may not ever "feel" sweaty, you will just feel cooler.)

As noted by others, the internal bucket is only about 2 gallons while 70 pints is nearly 9 gallons. If you plan on using the internal bucket you will need to dump it at least a couple of times a day if you are in a high humidity environment.

After my bedroom experiment I put the unit in the basement and hooked up the drain line to run into my basement sump. All it takes is a hose with a standard garden hose female connector on it. I made one myself using a section of old garden hose and a female adapter from the hardware store. It took a few days and MANY gallons of water pulled from the air, but my basement has gone from over 85% humidity to under 60%. It would go lower, but my research says that mold won't grow under that amount, so you aren't really getting any more benefit of the power it draws to lower the humidity any more. The temperature down there went up a few degrees from around 68 to 71 or so. The damp smell, which had even been making its way up into the house on the hotter days, is completely gone. I am also no longer afraid to use the basement to store stuff for fear of mold damage.

One thing I'm not sure of is longevity. Searching through reviews, every single manufacturer out there seems to have a tale of early failure for every tale of long life. Only time will tell on that point, but so far I am very happy. Especially since this unit costs less on Amazon than units of half the capacity at the local home supply stores.

2nd Summer Update: I had a bit of a scare at the start of the 2nd summer because it didn't seem like the unit was working after a few hours being turned on. After reading story upon story in dehumidifier reviews on Amazon of units that worked for one season and then never again (all brands; by no means just Frigidaire), I thought mine might have gone the same route. The next day, however, it was producing condensation and has run like a champ all summer since.

3rd Summer Update: This year the unit started removing humidity almost immediately after startup. Working like a champ for over a month now. VERY happy with this dehumidifier!
on July 1, 2010
After reviewing many different makes and models of dehumidifiers, I decided to get a Frigidaire. Got one 3 days ago. Thing I learned - the 25/50/70 pints a day refers to the capacity or ability of the unit to collect that quantity of water, not to the tank size. Based on that, I got the 70 pint, because it's supposed to handle more air/water in less time.
I was a bit apprehensive about the noise, based on the feedback from others. So, it is not silent, but it definitely is not noisey. It is located in a rather large room, so that may have something to do with it. I use the same room as my home office and am on the phone quite a bit, with no interference at all. It's very much white noise, I could sleep right next to it without any problems. I could watch tv, talk, etc, so, needless to say, I am very pleasantly surprised that it is NOT the noise maker that I had imagined it to be. It collected the full tank within the first night, shut off, and collected half the tank the next day. The water tank is really easy to get in and out. It beeps a little when I take the water tank out if it happens to be running at that time, but it shutts up after a few seconds. It restarts automatically once I return the water tank. I've only had it few days, but so far, I absolutely love it. I hope it continues to work for many years to come!
on May 17, 2010
Terrific product. Quiet, and does and excellent job of removing moisture from the air. The 70 pint model provides the power to dry the air in my basement without having to run for extended periods. Very satisfied.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 26, 2011
After researching a bit, purchased this for our basement based on the great reviews. Have this in the corner of a large finished basement that has thick carpet and I am absolutely amazed how much water this collects especially on rainy days. So glad I purchased this unit.

I've had it running for about a month on and off. In the original spot, on thick carpet, the back of the cover rattled a bit on the low fan setting. I simply moved the location and haven't heard it rattle yet regardless of fan speed. My assumption is this wants to be perfectly level.

I wouldn't call it quiet, but it's also not very noisy. It is loud enough that I will turn it off when I am watching TV, movies or video games in the same room 10-15 ft. away from it. Given the amount of water it collects, it is well worth the trade-off.

If/when this one gives out some day, I won't hesitate to purchase the exact same model again. Used standard Prime shipping and it arrived fast with a great price.
on September 6, 2011
I purchased this dehumidifier in June of 2010 and immediately put it to work in my finished basement. The catch basin quickly became an annoyance due to its non-ergonomic location and design. To empty collected water you must gingerly remove the 'bucket' by sliding it forward from the bottom front portion of the unit without having it tip toward you and spilling the collected water all over your feet and ankles. The trick is to slide it out just far enough while balancing it to grab the collapsible handle on top of the 'bucket' and remove it slowly.
Did I mention that the entire top portion of the 'bucket' is sealed in plastic by the float assembly and drain template? This feature will also endear you to the product even more when mold and mildew begins to accumulate inside and you realize cleaning it will be more difficult than finding a job in this economy.
If you maintained your patience up to this point, then prepare yourself for new adventures in aggravation after 12 months and 1 day when either the compressor or the fan or both refuse to function with each other. Think that our government representatives are a pain when it comes to cooperation? Just wait...! The day after your warranty expires in 12 months (maybe sooner), the digital selector for your humidity level will begin to stubbornly reset itself randomly from your selected settings--usually while you are watching, but most times as you are walking away in disgust from the unit. This event again is usually accompanied by the failure of the fan or compressor or both. I found that if I unplugged the unit for at least 48 hours and then plugged it back in afterwards, the unit would again begin to function for up to a week before reverting to the petulant child mode and shutting down. I have used this procedure now for 9 weeks and at this point it only results in the steady electrical buzzing of the compressor, random digital readings for humidity level settings on the readout on top and the best of all---that wonderful odor of overheated electric wiring you get just before something catches fire. You would think that because it weighs about 48 pounds that it would be well made and reliable. Fat chance. This is without a doubt the most expensive paperweight I have ever had the displeasure to purchase. This product not recommended for those with a short fuse, heart problems, limited income or back problems.
on June 17, 2011
This review was written in July of 2010 with updates in June and Oct 2011 and it might not apply to the newest model shown here.Purchased the 70 pint unit brand new in July 2010.

I have owned 2 units prior to this, both Whirlpool brands, one was purchased in 1997 and was given away (and still works) and the other was purchased in 2006 and the compressor decided to quit working in July of 2010.
I`ve always used dehumidifiers in below ground level basements so they are generally in use from April-Oct which are the humid months here in the Northeast. Once late Oct. or early Nov. roll around the heat is being used so my units will be put away for winter.

Having lost the compressor on my last Whirlpool I needed to find a unit in a hurry due to a humidity level of 85% if no moisture being pulled from the summer air in my basement.

As always, I went online and did a quick crash course in the latest products within the price range I set which was in the 250 $ range.
Availability in my area was also a factor.
After reading reviews I decided that the Frigidaire 70 pint model was fairly well rated and was available at my local Lowe`s.
I picked up my unit for 263 $ and brought it downstairs. It`s not light at 44 pounds but these units are basically air conditioners so weight is not surprising.
It does have a handy handle on top which helps moving chores.

I hooked the unit up to my pump and garden hose setup which insured that I never have to empty the tank as the unit will be on for months at a time saving me time and energy.
After a week of use here are my findings.

The unit has kept my basement at a 35-38 % humidity level (900 sq feet of living space) and is much quieter than my past two Whirlpool units.
It is not cheap to run at 765 watts according to the website stats.
With the digital display you can dial in the level of humidity you would like but I am finding that the display on the Frigidaire is WAY different than my external hygrometers. When the Frigidaire is reading 50 %, my hygrometers are reading 37 % so however they have set up the units, they are not accurate with levels.

The good news is that my basement is dry, with lower noise level and a lower humidity level than my old Whirlpool models.

My only issues are that the Frigidaire fan stays on even when the compressor shuts off, drawing unneeded electricity as well as digital humidity levels are way off compared to the actual room level..

Overall, so far happy with the unit.

I was aware when buying that people have had problems with this unit in lower temperatures with coils freezing up etc. but I`ll need to wait a few months to report those issues..

Editors note update - I found that setting the units humidity level to 10 % higher than you would like the room to be, the unit will keep the room at your desired level as well as cycling off (including fan) when level is reached.
So at least on my unit the digital readout levels are about 10-15% higher than the actual room humidity level.

2nd update-June 1st 2011.
This season the unit is working less efficiently compared to last year.
It`s still set up in my below ground basement,temp is about 65 degrees in the room.
With the desired humidity level set at 35 % my room is actually between 53% and 60% humidity level. The compressor comes on for about 35 minutes and then cycles off for about 15-20. All the while the fan continues running, therefore wasting electricity.

I then read in the manual that there is a CO setting (constant) which is supposed to leave the compressor running all the time.No such luck.It`s still turning off and my basement was at 60% at last check..

On top of this I just discovered that the coils are freezing up so now I might have to even put a heater on and see if a warmer room will help the unit work better..Not good..

It`s now 5 hours later-I took a crash course in coil freeze up-decided it was a combination of a dirty filter as well as the room being too cold for efficient operation.Even though the manual says it will operate with temps in the 40`s-don`t believe it..

Turned the unit off for 45 minutes, ice melted, cleaned filter as well as placing a space heater with a fan pointed at the coil area in front of unit.
So far the unit is back to last years operation. Humidity level is down to 50% and the compressor is staying on. I put the desired level to 40% so it`s going in the right direction..Except that now I`m paying for using a space heater in the early summer. I suspect the room will be warm enough on it`s own in a matter of a week..

Final edit-June17th 2011
The final word on this Frigidaire 70 pint dehumidifier is this.
It`s been a very cool spring and early summer. With the basement anywhere below 68 degrees, the unit will freeze up unless I keep a space heater a foot away, faced to the air intake-coils.So I now have the added expense of a heater having to be used in the summer to get this unit working properly... It seems to do best when it`s real hot and humid outside and once the room gets above 68 it works well.
But not happy overall with the performance..

Final final final edit...May 24th 2012
I decided to stop fighting with this unit and buy an actual "basement"dehumidifier.
I had no luck at all this season with early dehumidifying.The unit pulled no moisture at all-even though the compressor is still ok. Tried blowing hot air into the unit with no luck..
So, the final final word is, be VERY careful if you need a dehumidifier that will be used in a cooler room. Any temp under 65 could be an issue for most units..Including the brand new Frigidair models. I researched lots of models and decided on a Danby dehumidifier. We`ll see if it performs !!!

RIP Frigidaire unit..On July 25th 2012 I sent this unit off to the landfill or wherever these toxic machines end up. After not even 2 seasons of use, it`s GONZO...
on July 11, 2010
I had an unfinished basement that was not used for anything but storage. When I moved everything down there to store, I didn't do it properly and left everything in cardboard boxes with no airflow. When I finally got around to finishing it, there was plenty of mildew all over the place. The basement is about 975 square feet in one big continuous space. I knew I'd need a bigger dehumidifier to tackle this task. This 70 pint unit seemed to have good reviews and Amazon's price was less than most retail prices for the 50 pint unit. When I got the unit, I took it downstairs and waited the few hours like the instructions suggest, then I attached the drain hose and plugged the dehumidifier in. The display showed I had over 70% humidity in my basement. I left it on continuous operation for a few days, as suggested. Within a couple days, the humidity had been reduced to 55% and within a couple more days, it was at 35%.

The unit works well. Make sure the drain hose is tight, or it will slowly fill the tank. I personally don't think it's loud like some of the other reviews, but I have no frame of reference as this is my first dehumidifier. It's about the same loudness as a fan. It works extremely well and would highly recommend it. I've been very pleased.
on May 4, 2011
The frigidaire 70 pint dehumidifier appears to be be solidly built. The unit's digital humidity control also makes it very user friendly... just choose your desired setting down to as low as 35% and press start. The unit has had no problem keeping my basement at 45% relative humidity and within a few hours it removed the musty smell we sometimes get after it rains. In that location it will take just under a week to fill the bucket so I don't feel the need to run a permanent hose from it. In the room just off a bath with a shower used by two people every day, it took about 2 days to fill the same bucket. On the down side it is certainly not quiet. Depending on what part of the duty cycle it is in it's a little too loud to watch TV with. Many people would certainly find it too loud for use in a bedroom. For the price and given the functional performance I'm very happy. Make it quieter and it would be perfect.

Update: It died just over one year after purchase. It runs and blows air but doesn't take out any moisture or fill the bucket. Quality just isn't there as other reviewers have suggested. It just doesn't seem like anyone makes a durable dehumidifier anymore. Junk, junk, junk.
on April 12, 2011
I just purchased my second FAD704TDP in less than 12 months, At first i was thrilled at the design and slick look. I plugged it in and I thought It worked great for about two months...then..something just stopped working, the unit would run for hours at a time but no water in the catch bucket for day's. I recently had water in my basement from a severe rain storm. I mopped up 90 percent of the water and turned the dehumidifier on, it ran all night long and I went to empty the bucket and it was empty. I have made sure the settings are correct and that the filter was clean.

I'm not sure why but I purchased my second FAD704TDP a month ago and it works great for now. I have both FAD704TDP dehumidifiers plugged in within 15 feet of each other and the new one will fill it's bucket in about 10-12 hours...While the other,6 months old does nothing. I'm sick that I sent $200.00 for something to work only for a few months. I'm waiting to see what happens with the new one I just purchased after a few months.

They work great when they work...However I did not get the quality or the life out of the first one and I hope the second last much longer. keep your receipt.!!! I didnt and wish I had.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 13, 2010
My dad kept bugging me to buy the Frigidaire, but I wanted to find something locally and get it over with (Menards and Home Depot don't carry the Frigidaire around here). Ended up buying an LG #LD650EAL dehumidifier from Home Depot but wow, was that ever a waste of time. after running it for a few hours it hadn't collected a single drop of water and it started to stink of hot electronics so took it back for a refund.

Decided to see what Consumer Reports had for ratings and apparently they didn't recommend the LD650EAL because *they* had the same problem (sheesh!). Ok, so took dad's advice and ordered the FAD704TDP from Amazon. Only thing I can say is it's awesome. Much quieter than the LG (fan is about half as quiet!) and within the first 15 mins of turning it on water started dripping into the bucket. Seems to run pretty cool as well (I had an Amana that made a better space heater than dehumidifier) After 3 days of running in the basement, humidity has dropped to 50% and it's filled the bucket three days in a row. Prime Shipping brought the cost of the Frigidaire to $30 less than the LG so we saved some ching there too! Definitely recommend the Frigidaire FAD704TDP.