1,471 of 1,510 people found the following review helpful
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
UPDATE: 11/19/2013 - This particular dehumidifier is not involoved in the September 12, 2013 Gree Dehumidifier Recall. That recall is only for the following Frigidaire models...FDB30R1, FDB50R1, FDB70R1, FDD25S1, FDF50S1, FDF70S1, FDL30R1, FDL50R1, FDL50S1, FDL70R1, FDL70S1, FDM30R1, FDR30S1

The last 5 dehumidifiers I have purchased (3 Kenmore dehumidifiers and 2 Frigidaires) have all failed within 5 years of purchase and 2 of the 4 have failed within a year of purchase. In my experience the reliability of dehumidifiers in general has diminished greatly over the years. So every time I have to purchase another, I do the research all over again and I find myself going in circles. All brands seem to have similar complaints having to do with longevity.

Consequently, I always purchase an extended warranty now. For the $40 or so that they cost, it gives you some peace of mind that at least you will be able to get a replacement if the dehumidifier should break down outside of the manufacturers warranty period.

My first Frigidaire dehumidifier was the FAD704TDP, purchased in April 2011. That lasted just slightly over a year before breaking down. The compressor failed. I was in luck because even though the 1-year warranty had just expired, the compressor was warrantied for 5-years. Whew, dodged a bullet there.

I had read elsewhere that Frigidaire was notoriously difficult to deal with regarding warranty repair/replacement. In my experience, what Frigidaire does instead of sending you a new unit is to "buy back" your old unit. You don't return it to them, they just send you a check. Fortunately Frigidaire "bought" my defective unit back from me and using the proceeds I was able to replace it with the FAD704DUD. Contrary to some peoples hassles with Frigidaire warranty issues, I had no problem whatsoever with my interaction with Frigidaire. The check was sent to me promptly and with no problems.

I did a lot of further research and decided that all manufacturers had their share of disgruntled customers so I decided to give Frigidaire another chance and purchased my second Frigidaire dehumidifier, the FAD704DUD 70 pint dehumidifier to replace the defective. That one was purchased June 2012 and is still working. However, I live in the North East and right now it's the tail end of winter so the dehumidifier, although it is plugged in and turned on, hasn't actually had to operate since the Fall of 2012. I'm assuming it will work just fine come spring and the ensuing damp weather. But given the history I've had with dehumidifiers, they seem to work no longer than 3-5 years before breaking down, I had an opportunity to get this FAD704DWD and did so even though the dehumidifier I bought last year seemingly still works fine.

The outward appearance of this dehumidifier is identical to the FAD704DUD. The only differences between this 2013 model: FAD704DWD and the 2012 model: FAD704DUD are some minor changes in the specifications:

FAD704DWD (2013) FAD704DUD (2012)

Amps (Cool): 7.8 vs Amps (Cool): 7.2
Horsepower (Cool): 1.00 vs Horsepower (Cool): 1.03
Watts (Cool): 745 vs Watts (Cool): 765

So as you can see, the FAD704DWD uses 20 less Watts of electricity. But as you'll also notice, the Horsepower has been reduced slightly so I'm not sure if the operation of the unit will be quite the same. I do noticed a very minor change in the tone of fan blower. It sounds like it might be running just a touch slower than the last years model. Very minor, but maybe that's all it takes to reduce energy consumption by 20 watts.

When I received the new dehumidifier and removed the tape that secures the collection tank to the unit, I discovered that the float assembly was not attached where it was supposed to be attached and was just flopping around in the bottom of the tank. There was also a broken piece of clear plastic that I still haven't quite figured out where it came from yet. But I plan to take the entire thing apart to find out where it broke off from. I carefully reattached the float assembly and was good to go.,

I like the profile and appearance of this dehumidifier. It's exactly the same dimensions of last years model. It is not very deep nor wide, but it is somewhat tall. It measures roughly 16" wide, 11" deep and 24.5" tall.

The cord length is 6' 6" and there is a cord wrap on the back of the unit. The plug is a 3-prong grounded plug.

The fan is not exceedingly loud but it's not whisper quiet... perfectly tolerable though. If it's in your basement and not in your direct earshot, you probably won't ever hear it operate at all. The fan blows the exhaust out of the top of the unit which I feel it circulates the air better than blowing it out the side which is where some units have the fan output.

The collection container hold 16.3 pints and has a handle to help you carry it over to a sink. However, It just does not have a decent way to tip the bucket easily to pour the water out. I am always sloshing and spilling water all over the place when I try emptying the full bucket. It's awkward. Plus, 16.3 pints may sound like a lot of capacity but it fills rather quickly in my climate so I use the "continuous operation" method. My dehumidifier is located near my sump pump in my basement. I attach a hose to the dehumidifier and route that right into the sump pump. It's a great way to do it because I do not have to be bothered with emptying the dehumidifier and it is able to run continuously.

The timer may not work like you think it will work. You can set the timer to turn off the dehumidifier from .5 to 24 hours from the time that you set it. Or you can set the dehumidifier to come on from .5 to 24 hours in the future when the dehumidifier is off. But either scenario is a one-time only event.

Also worth noting is that the dehumidifier fan will shut off after the dehumidifier has reached the level of humidity you have selected. Before that happens, you may hear the fan stay on but the compressor will be turning on and off periodically. It is possible that you will never hear the fan turn off if you have set the humidity level lower than the dehumidifier can attain... so in effect it will be running continuously.

Overall I'm very pleased with the Frigidaire FAD704DWD 70-pint dehumidifier. I withold 5 stars simply because of the longevity issues I've discussed. Should this prove to be long-lasting, I will update my review and provide an update.
126126 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 29, 2013
This unit dehumidifies...right onto the floor, unfortunately. This is my second unit from Amazon in a week, and they both have/had the same problem: water flows from the bottom of the case in the back and onto the floor, instead of into the bucket. While possibly being a neat "Inception" situation, where the dehumidifier is dehumidifying the water spilled from dehumidifying, I can't say I find that too compelling.

I called Frigidaire--just to be certain they didn't have a hidden "shipping only" plug somewhere, or a piece of tape I missed, but no such luck. (Interestingly, Frigidaire sells no parts for these aside from buckets and filters, something to keep in mind if you buy one with the idea of servicing it in a year or two.)

One thing you may not know, or want to know: if your dehumidifier is going to be in a location where is will run relatively constantly, you're eventually going to have to open it up to clean the accumulated gunk (some sort of black algae or something similarly yucky) out of the water collection tray. This black slime will eventually block the drain holes and cause the unit to leak. I get about six months of service from a Danby (which lives in a similar location) before I have to disassemble it to get to the water collection tray and de-gunk it. No manufacturer seems to make this job easy, and if you have to do that cleaning job on this unit, it will be a tedious few hours, with the strong possibility of breaking something if you're not careful.

Home dehumidifiers seem to share the same basic design: two condensing radiators sit above a "tray" (really just a molded bit of the very elaborate, single-piece plastic inner skeleton, not a separate bit which can be removed for cleaning). The condensers have refrigerant pumped through them by a compressor, which lives in the base, and that entire system is sealed. There is a panel on top for controls, a box of minor electronics, a power supply, a fan unit, a bucket, and various case pieces. My Danby and this Frigidaire have detail differences, but they're the equivalent of the differences between two small sedans, not a jet airplane and the Wright Brother's Flyer.

Cleaning is a huge pain because not only does everything need to come off the outside, but to do a thorough job the condensers need to be lifted off the tray. Because the entire refrigerant system is sealed, this means the compressor and condensers need to come out as a unit, a job requiring about six hands and a delicate touch. On the Danby this is a fraught operation, and I suspect you get to do it only a few times before some of the plastic pieces won't snap/unsnap and decide breaking is a better idea. (I've cleaned the Danby three times in two years, so far.) The Frigidaire definitely is not an improvement in this department. Maybe I'm the only guy who tries to clean a dehumidifier which otherwise works fine, dunno...

Because this is the second of these units I've bought that leaked immediately, I thought I'd take a quick (but careful!) peek inside to see if it was something obvious, like a "thingymabobber" knocked loose during rough shipping or something obviously missing or broken. (Plus the waste really bugs me, talking to Frigidaire's people make it sound like returned units just go to the scrap heap if they don't work. That's just kind of gross, if true.)

To make this long review shorter, at the end of the day, I discovered no really obvious reason why this unit leaks by examining the innards...nothing was disconnected, cracked or broken, though I have a couple of theories...how likely they are, who knows? I think the first one is the likely cause, but can offer no real proof.

1) The back of the water tray, where it runs beneath the fan motor, is quite warped on this unit--there is a big bow in the long, unenforced plastic "back" of the water tray. The bow isn't low enough to allow water to just flow over the top, but it may provide the right shape for water to be drawn upwards by the fan, and once it's outside the tray, it will flow down into the base and eventually out the back. There doesn't seem to be a better explanation, as the water tray was free of cracks, and pouring large quantities of water directly into the tray without the unit running saw all of that water flow properly into the bucket. My first example of this model, which I did not investigate the innards of, had evidence that water was getting to the fan blades...and this is the only place that could happen.

2) I'm not thrilled about the design of the fan mount, as it sits both inside and outside of the "wet" areas of the water tray. It seems really unlikely, but it might be possible that where this mount closely fits against the wall of the water tray on the wet side, capillary action could draw water out of the tray and into places where you don't want it. But capillary action isn't that strong, I don't think: on my first unit, I would estimate that at least 3/4 or more of the water collected went into the guts of the unit, compared to what made it into the bucket. If this capillary idea has any merit, I would think ALL of these Frigidaires would leak from day one, and clearly that's not the case. That said, I really hate this part of the design, along with that long, thin back to the water tray. On the Danby, for all its own foibles, nothing sits in the water area except the condensers, other parts screw to the top of the tray.

So I don't know. I just hope I'm not out the $240 paid. I hate returning stuff and I can't imagine Amazon is going to be thrilled to get another one back from me in less than a week. I will not be buying another of these, in any case. There is no way in the world I can trust it.
review image review image review image review image
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 9, 2012
This review compares these big dehumidifiers:

- Frigidaire 70 pint (FAD704DUD)
- SoleusAir 70 pint (DP1-70-03)
- LG 65 pint (LG651EBL)

NOTES/WARNINGS:
-------------------

- If you have a medical/allergy, anti-mold, archival, or otherwise serious reason to maintain a humidity range you need to get something SEPARATE TO MEASURE HUMIDITY. The Frigidaire thought the humidity was 5-9 RH higher than it was as measured by 2 humidity instruments including a data logger, the SoleusAir was off by more than that, the LG doesn't show what it thinks the humidity is.

For example, here are some settings and resulting relative humidity ranges for the Frigidaire in my tests:

Setting Humidity_Range_Result
50 41.0-45.0
55 46.0-49.5
60 51.5-54.5

- Be sure to have a 3-PRONG OUTLET for each dehumidifier you get, NO 2-prong with adapter shortcuts, you want this kind of appliance grounded, like a refrigerator or air conditioner.

- Running big dehumidifiers non-stop often costs hundreds of dollars per year each and it may only bring the humidity lower than needed for comfort, medical, or archival purpose. Consider aiming for just below your target, for example 53 RH to keep below 55 RH rather than continuous running to get as low as possible. Of course, if it takes continuously running to get to the target, ignore this suggestion :).

Sometimes you can get BIG savings by not doing more dehumidifying than you need. For example, we set our Frigidaire in the basement to 60, which gives us 51.5-54.5 RH on a range, anything lower is a waste of electricity for us. Using the average cost of electricity in the U.S. of 12 cents per Kilowatt Hour you can see the savings below:

Setting Humidity_Range_Result Watt_Hrs Cost/Yr_at_12cents_per_kWhr
50 41.0-45.0 11738 $428
55 46.0-49.5 10403 $380
60 51.5-54.5 970 $35 <-- Not a misprint

- I highly suggest getting no-fault extended warranty for 2+ years if you can get it for any dehumidifier, even though I rarely bother with them for other products.

- If you need to reliably pump a few feet up to get into a sink (for drainage), for example, ignore all of this and look at something like the Friedrich 70 pint with the built-in pump.

- See near bottom of review for section on one inexpensive easy way to get the water right into the drain (for example, if you have pets tempted by dribbling water - its not drinking water).

- The LG has pretty terrible reviews on Amazon regarding durability. Also, note that LG made the Sears Kenmore Dehumidifiers sold up to 2009 that are being recalled last year due to fire risk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

dBA at distances (1'/5'/10'/15'):

Frigidaire: 62.0 / 56.0 / 53.0 / 51.5
SolieusAir: 66.0 / 60.5 / 57.5 / 55.5
LG: 58.5 / 55.5 / 53.0 / 50.0

If your primary concern is noise then you might want to avoid the SoleusAir. Since Frigidaire is so much better reviewed than the LG, I'd lean towards the Frigidaire over LG for this since the loudness difference is fairly small unless you are going to be fairly close to it.

I should note that the nature of the noise of the Frigidaire is more like white noise from a strong fan as you rarely hear much from the unit's compressor over the fan.

HOW MUCH WATER I FOUND
THEY ACTUALLY HOLD:

Frigidaire: 17.7 lbs
SoleusAir: 13.4 lbs
LG: 15.8 lbs

If you can't use a drain and you want it to do as much work as it can during the night or while you are at work, then Frigidaire wins here. If water hauling weight is a primary concern then SoleusAir has an edge here.

HOW MUCH WATER I FOUND
THEY CAN REALLY PULL OUT
OF THE AIR IN AN HOUR AT
MAX FAN SPEED:

Frigidaire: 0.82 lbs water per hour
SoleusAir: 0.69 "
LG: 0.53 "

If sheer power is your main concern, for example correcting an 18 RH humidity spike ASAP after towels go through the dryer, Frigidaire wins here. These numbers are an average of the bottom two runs out of three tests I did for each unit.

Note that the first Frigidaire I tested performed poorly at 0.47 lbs of water per hour. I returned it and the new one I got 3 months later did this well which much better reflects the performance satisfaction by a leading consumer magazine.

HOW COST EFFICIENT
I FOUND THEY ARE TO RUN:

Frigidaire: 645 Watt Hours electricity to remove 1 lb. of water
SoleusAir: 690 "
LG: 800 "

This is not extrapolated from data sheets, this was measured.

The LG will likely overall cost more to operate, the Frigidaire and SoleusAir win here. These numbers are an average of the bottom two out of three test runs for each unit.

HOW MUCH TIME TO FILL
THEIR BUCKET IN WINTER
IN ONE EXAMPLE BASEMENT
AT TOP FAN SPEED:
-------------------------

Frigidaire: 0.9 days
SoleusAir: 0.8 days
LG: 1.2 days

Remember that the bins hold different amounts of water. The full range for the Frigidaire in my tests was 0.74-0.92 days to fill its bucket.

MISC. NOTES:
--------------

Frigidaire:
Easily the most attractive, build quality is excellent. Well reviewed by respected independent consumer magazine. Has top and side handles.

Look out for cleaning filter light going on erroneously early on in order to facilitate an exchange while it is still easy to do. It is easy to spot, after going off early you would clean the filter put it back in and it would still be on.

As noted above, the first Frigidaire dehumidifier I bought was performance defective and I returned it. These numbers are from testing the replacement.

LG:
As noted above, has pretty bad reviews on Amazon regarding durability. Vents out the back and thus requires 1' distance from a wall, the others vent upwards. So expect in some cases to have to point the front to the wall and spin it around to remove the bin (if you use a bin) now and then (easy to do, just FYI).

Has no top handle only side handles, the others have top and side handles. If it ever goes up steps you will likely wish it had the top handle.

All:
All of them had easy to remove and place bins with good handles and were tough to spill unless not paying attention (I've read a review saying LG was bad for spilling the bin, though I didn't find it difficult, but I thought I should mention it FYI). They all have wheels. I often don't get no-fault replacement warranties, but I would definitely get 2+ year one for these.

CAN THESE REALLY
HELP AFTER A FLOOD:
---------------------

After a week running continuously at full fan speed the wet/damp smell from a little flood in the basement went away.

GIVE ME A REAL WORLD
EXAMPLE OF ON-GOING
UTILITY:
----------------------

To help prevent basement mold we target 50-55 RH as a cost efficient target. We found to get this we need to set the dehumidifier to a higher target value (in our case 65 RH in Winter, 60 RH in Spring), your unit will vary, see warning above about needing a separate humidity meter).

Ordinarily our basement ranges from 54-59 RH or so in Winter. Depending on what we set the dehumidifier to we can target a 3-4 RH range anywhere between 38rh to 54rh (we didn't test higher) but couldn't get it lower than 38 RH with a single dehumidifier for our middle-sized basement.

If we wanted to keep it down to 38-41 RH by running it continuously I measured it costs around 6x-10x more in kWh of electricity (depending on time of year), thus costing hundreds of dollars more per year, compared to keeping it in the 50-55 RH range which meets many folks basement needs.

Obviously your mileage will vary by time of year, geography, unit, air leakage, etc., this is just one real world example, hope it helps!

HOW TO GET THE WATER
RIGHT INTO A DRAIN:
------------------------

Get a 3/4" to 1/4" brass female HOSE FITTING ($5.50) (Home Depot 098268532173) and have someone at a hardware store attach it to a 10' 1/4" flexible VINYL TUBE ($2.75) for you (Home Depot 048643025486) using a 1/4" Delrin SLEEVE INSERT (Home Depot 048643070356) cut to preferred length, and put the tube right into the drain. I edged the tube along the wall behind a pipe to keep it taught, straight, and sloping. Now the cats can't drink the non-potable water as it comes out and the tube is almost invisible.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 7, 2013
I decided to do a quick initial review of this 70 pint dehumidifier since everyone will be looking at getting one for the summer season soon. I will update durability in future months. I received this May 2013. It came delivered in its original box very quickly (2 days) shipped UPS. It says on the box not to lay on its side. I recommend upon receiving this unit to leave it sit for 24 hours before plugging in when you get it in its final resting spot just in case someone along the way shipped it on it's side to let the compressor oil drain back down. The shipping box seemed sufficient, however It did come with a crack in the plastic back due to an impact. The box appears to be able to flex on the backside enough and there is only foam protection on the ends. Amazon of course took care of me on this. On to the initial review. The design of the cabinet is tasteful and has a few features I liked over my past Fedders unit. Thoughtful features like an integrated handle that hides away at the top when not in use. The unit rolls easily on its caster without tipping. The bucket has a red ball in it to show you water level and a flip down handle to assist in the emptying process. I also liked the way the hose outlet was molded into the cabinet with a screw on plug. Past units I have owned seemed the hose connection was an afterthought. The only feature I thought was oddly placed was the reusable filter which can only be accessed when the bucket is removed. The control panel is nicely layed out and includes power, fan speed, humidity control and a handy timer function in which you can program it to come on in so many hours from now when the energy costs are lower. Very legible 2 digit readout for humidity and can be adjusted in increments of 5% down to 35, or continuous operation. When you are adjusting the levels the readout reflects your setting and when you release the buttons it then reads the room humidity. There is also a filter reset on the top panel. After so many hours of operation it will remind you to clean it.
I set the humidity to 50 and turned the fan on high. The compressor does not start right away and seems to take 5 min to kick in. I played with the high low fan speed. There is a noticeable lower noise between the two, but not enough to make me want to leave it in low. On to the energy use. When the unit is plugged in with nothing running it appears to use about 2 watts of power, but not continuous. I noticed it reads 2 watts intermittently, maybe coming on to check the humidity level. If this is the case, it would only need to do this once every couple of minutes instead of every 20 seconds or so like it does. When the fan is in the low position with the compressor off, it uses 58 watts and when it is in high it uses 66 watts. Not a lot of energy savings, but a bit of payoff (slight) in noise. The air is sucked in the front and ejected out the top vents. When the compressor kicks in the noise does not increase by much at all and can hardly be heard over the fan noise. Initially with the compressor running and the fan on high the wattage consumed was between 630 and 591, fluctuating. As the unit ran for a couple of days this seemed to drop to a steady 578, well below the wattage in the spec, possible the compressor breaking in?. Instead of water dripping continuously out of the hose connector, it seems to be ejected at regular intervals. This interval initially was every 16 seconds. The amount of water ejected was 7.5ml. The water being pulled out was well over the 70 pints a day, somewhere just over 90 pints. This continued for the first couple of days and now seems to be ejecting about 7ml every 35 seconds. I will continue to monitor this as time goes on. It may just be that the humidity was so high it was taking more out than the rated average.
Overall I am satisfied with it so far. I highly recommend using the hose end as you will be dumping that 16.3 pint bucket a few times a day. If you do not have a floor drain, maybe look into a model with a built in pump for a few dollars more to pump it up to a sink. Something notable about the noise. I did find it quieter than my fedders model and since it is in my basement I don't care much. If you are watching TV beside it you may be annoyed. Thanks to John M Yelton, I can now confirm that the fan DOES shut off when the dialed in humidity has been reached. On average it takes about 7 minutes after the compressor shuts off for the fan to go off. This is a bit annoying, but perhaps it will eliminate rust issues I noticed my fedder unit had after a few years as the coils get a chance to air dry after they start to go back to room temp. I did notice though that the unit doesn't stay off for long. Between the 7 min fan cycle it give the sensor a bit of time to activate the compressor so it seems that it just shuts off, then the compressor kicks in again 5 min later to take some more moisture out of the room and it just repeats itself. Mind you, I am drying a 2000 square foot basement and this will probably slow down as it drys out. Keep in mind this is the first few days of operation, and since I am on "time of use" hydro billing, it has been off much of the day since that is the expensive time to operate.
I have an idea for mine to be turned on only when my hydro is at its cheapest (7pm to 7am) For those of us with home automation you could say run this unit 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday, and all weekend (cheapest energy rate times). This unit could be controlled remotely by utilizing the bucket full contact switch.
UPDATE May 11 -2013. The wattage consumed continues to drop. I monitored it again for an hour and it has dropped below 500 watts, in the 480 range (A far cry from the 745 Watts they rate it for) so this is a pleasant surprise. I will continue to monitor this. It could be the compressor loosening up an not having to work as hard (hopefully) and not something else.
I also noticed the time between moisture ejects has increased from 7.5 ml every 16 seconds to 7.5 ml every 60 or so seconds. A sign my basement is getting drier I suppose.
Happy so far.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I needed a dehumidifier for my basement and thought this would be a good option so I ordered it. Here is what I found:

1. Nice design.

2. Good handles to move it with.

3. Worked for 2 days without issues.

Here is what I did not like:

1. After working for two days, the unit started having a puddle of water under it. Yes, I had drained the holding tank. Yes, there was some water in it, but most of the water was on the floor. No matter what I tried, water just collected on the floor.

2. A suggestion on Amazon was made to try only using the drain hose option and not the tank. Tried that and while water started collecting in the sump, water was also still going onto the floor.

3. Figuring that every product can have an issue, I tried contacting Frigidaire. No luck!!! Their website is not much help and the options that I could find was to ship it to one of their service centers at my expense! So, I wrote them a letter on their "contact us" link and the automated system said they would get back to me in one to two business days. That did not happen.

4. After 10 days an e-mail arrived from Frigidaire stating that they needed me to state my problem and provide information on the item I was having problems with. Oh, the e-mail was back dated 3 days from the time stamp on the e-mail!! Nice that I had given them the model number, serial number, and a description of the problem already.

Needless to say, this was not acceptable. I contacted Amazon and returned the product. Thank goodness Amazon is a pleasure to work with!!

Based upon the lack of support for this product and the issues that it has, I would NOT recommend this to anyone.
on July 12, 2014
I am extremely satisfied with this product. I read many reviews. Some few were quite startling claiming early total failure of this product. I think I understand why early failures happen. My product was delivered and put on my porch completely upside down. WARNING - It is best to wait several days before trying to use this product. The oil in the compressor is VERY thick and if this product is ever anything but straight up and down (bottom down) the oil drains away from where it needs to be in the compressor. When this product is turned on without this wait period - FAILURE IS IMMINENT! I gave it a week before turning it on - it works fantastic.
With all this in mind it is puzzling why the manufacturer DID NOT PRINT WARNINGS ON THE BOX TO KEEP IT UPRIGHT. (arrow-this end up). THERE IS NO MENTION IN THE MANUAL ABOUT THE NEED TO WAIT BEFORE TURNING IT ON WHEN IT IS KNOWN TO HAVE BEEN ON ITS SIDE OR UPSIDE DOWN. Error on the side of caution!! Do NOT plug it in or turn it on without waiting at least 2 days.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 2, 2013
Going on my 3rd unit in a 10 days! First unit leaked water from the back panel right away. Called Amazon and got another one sent out (UPS call tag sent for defect) Second unit came in 2 days and also leaked from the back panel, but the drain outlet on the back was pushed in and cracked! Called Amazon and they sent out a third unit (UPS call tag sent again). All was well and working for 2 days, AND again leaking from the BACK! Many state this is a wonderful product and I have had earlier models, with no problem. There must have been a bad run at one time and something is not right inside with the run-off. There may be insulation missing on the piping or just not properly applied. Will call a service center and find out if there is a known issue with these units. If not, I will call Amazon for perhaps the FAD704 DUD (earlier model) It's not Amazons fault and they have been great in handling this situation (shipping and returns) Will advise.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 13, 2014
These are terrible dehumidifiers. I ordered one and noticed that water leaked out the back casing, the opposite side of where the water bucket is located. I called amazon and had it replaced thinking it was a defective unit, only to find out the next one I got did the same thing. Pieces of crap
on July 14, 2013
I didn't have any problems until it started to leak. Unfortunately, I didn't know it was leaking because it was on a rug in the cellar. Now I'm dealing with a wet moldy cellar.
It should have lasted more than a year. They just don't make things to last anymore.
on June 28, 2013
I bought this product based on the brand name, local store endorsement and amazon reviews. It worked great until about 10 days after the 1 year warranty expired. Then I started to notice water on the floor, despite my regular emptying of bucket and the fact that the bucket was not overflowing. I checked the bucket for leaks. There were none. The area underneath the bucket on one side only was consistently wet. It appears that the unit itself is leaking and allowing water to bypass the bucket opening and run down the bucket housing. I contacted the company 18 days after the one year date of purchase. I was not able to speak to a human being (that was not an option) but did get an email telling me that unfortunately, the 2-5 year warranty does not cover my problem. I paid about $250 for the unit and expected it to last longer than one year. I will not buy a Frigidaire or Electrolux product again. Too bad for them since I am getting ready to remodel my kitchen and purchase major appliances.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...