5.0 out of 5 stars Research pays off! <3 this stove
Prior to purchase, this was my wish list: gas, 5 burners, continuous cast iron grates, metal knobs, slide-in unit. Then I decided I had to have soapstone counter tops - and decided to spend an extra 1k on them - and compromise on the stove. My compromise was changing from a slide-in model to freestanding.

After deciding what I wanted, I'd tried to find a...
Published 22 months ago by LAH_NC

3.0 out of 5 stars Great stove, love almost everything about it
Great stove, love almost everything about it.

Published 3 months ago by CeeeKzoo

5.0 out of 5 stars Research pays off! <3 this stove, March 16, 2013
This review is from: Frigidaire FGGF3054MF 30" Freestanding Gas Range with Quick Preheat and True Convection, Stainless Steel (Kitchen)

After deciding what I wanted, I'd tried to find a product that avoided negative review about those specific features (hello millions of hours of research). I wanted to avoid: Pots that couldn't fully center on back burners, melting back display panels, gas flames too low from grate to burner, useless simmer burners, slow heating griddles, grates that were black painted & not cast iron, and melting plastic nobs.

I've now been cooking on this for a week (so about 5 breakfasts/dinners) and I LOVE it. It has 2 "quick boil" burners. These put out a huge flame - and I actually have to keep them set at 5 or 4 (highest setting is 6) so flame does't come up sides of large pasta water pan and 12" saute pan & 14 inch cast iron skillet. One of these burners is front right - and the other back left. PERFECT positioning. Front left burner is medium sized gas ring - and works great for sauce pans, omelet pans - and even a smaller cast iron grill pan. I can get pans hot enough to sear - or low enough to simmer. The simmer burner is the smallest ring - positioned in back right-hand side of range. I can adjust the flame the lowest - and it does indeed keep the pan at a simmer. What I REALLY love is unlike friends WOLF and VIKING ranges, my simmer burner doesn't constantly click on/off (flame auto-igniting/turning off) to maintain the simmer. That constant re-igniting noise drives me crazy! It also gets hot enough to boil liquid in a small sauce pan.

I feel like I have complete control over heat output on all burners and it's a smooth turn from one level to the next (ie: no click & turn/pre-defined stops). Unlike another commentator, I HAVE HAD NO ISSUES WITH ACCIDENTALLY TURNED ON BURNERS - or just having gas emit w/out ignition. (in fairness, I don't have a microwave only a hood above the stove - and no pets), but my stove is in a tight corner where I do all my mise en place work - and I bump up against it all the time. In order to get the burner on, you must press-in, turn to go past the click, and release for ignition/gas emit.

I also am very impressed w/the oven. I wanted dual fuel (gas range/electric oven) but ended up w/all gas. So far it's baked evenly - the convection setting is great for roasting potatoes & other root vegetables. I haven't done pizza yet - or tried to broil. I'm hoping these two features work as seamlessly as everything else. My configuration Frigidaire 30 In. Stainless Steel Gas Range - FGGF3054MF (FGGF3054MF) has one 5.0 cf oven and a storage drawer. I did not want the 2nd oven option or a warming drawer. The oven is HUGE, the 3 racks are actually well positioned - and thoughtfully designed. The lower rack has arms that attach it to the door - so when you open the door - it sides out 1/4 of the way! No more burning hot-pads on the bottom element (like w/a electric oven) when reaching in to remove items -and no more burnt upper wrist from the middle/top rack when maneuvering items on bottom rack. Huzzah! Middle rack has "pop-out" feature where you can use 1/2 the rack for a taller item (like a chicken/crown-rib roast). Not sure if I'd use it durning cooking - I want items in the middle of the oven so there's even heat flow/distribution - but after everything is cooked, it would be great for keeping many items warm (like during pot lucks and large holiday gatherings). Also this specific model (none of the others) has the temp. probe for the oven and custom-size griddle for the 5th burner.

I am SO, SO, SO happy w/my purchase. It works as well as the commercial stove I cook on - and is easier to keep clean!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Oven., September 9, 2013
I had a cheaper frigidaire, paid around $425, about a year ago, just a basic oven. I didn't like it. Got hot on the top and the sides, heat from the oven vented by the control on top, hard to change settings, heated the whole house up. I read the reviews about this. I went and bought this one. I tried to buy from another place, but they were out of stock. I shopped every place for the best deal. Sears, Kmart, Best Buy, Menards, Home Depot, Ebay ect.. This was the cheapest price. If you like to cook this is the oven for you. It's got so many things to play with, too many to talk about. I have had 7 or 8 ovens before this one, I can not believe there could be that much of a difference between ovens. I didn't know what I was missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frigidaire Gas Range Stainless, self cleaning, June 25, 2013
I purchased this range from Lowes only because they had a big sale - ended up with 30% off.
We are very happy with our purchase.

Frigidaire Gallery 30-in 5-Burner Freestanding 5 cu ft Self-Cleaning Convection Gas Range (Stainless Steel) Item #: 29714 | Model #: LGGF3043KF rated: 4.5 / 5 with 59 reviews

- Express-Select® controls easily go from warm to boil with just a touch
- Quick boil - boils water faster
- Effortless(tm) oven rack - bottom rack extends when you open the door for easy access
- Continuous grates make it easy to move heavy pots and pans between burners without lifting
- Even baking technology ensures even baking every time
- 1 touch self clean - start the self-cleaning cycle with just the touch of a button
- Quick clean for a quick, light oven cleaning
- Auto oven shut-off as an extra safety measure, the oven will automatically shut off after 6 hours
- Delay start- set your oven to begin cooking on your schedule, programmable from 1 to 24 hours

I have no complaints about this range I have had for several months. I can tell you that who and how any appliance is installed makes all the difference on its operation. You have to know the specs and follow the guidelines on any appliance because shortcuts and poor installation will slant your view on the appliance.

I read how the burners can accidentally be turned on, as someone else reported in a review. The burner knobs have to be depressed and turned. You have to hear the clicking noise and then turn the knob for the burner to go....well at least you do on the range we purchased. Maybe someone else has a defective situation? The range is in the path of traffic and we have had many get-togethers, etc., where folks tend to gather in the kitchen, and no one ever turned on the in passing by or being near the appliance. I can't say this can't happen, but we have not had this issue. We do have kids at our home and have pets but they all seem to just stay away from the range. I did check out my daughter's high end range, thinking hers may be designed differently or made safer, but the knobs on her appliance do the same as on mine, with the same amount of ease in turning them on.....depress, turn to the clicking noise (ignition) and place on the number you prefer showing on the knob for flame height. We will keep an open mind on this and watch to see if we ever do come across this situation. If so, I will be sure to update my review.

The appliance is nice looking and built well. Everything on it is lined up properly and all the bolts and screws are in place as should be. I compared many ranges to this one. We did not want to go low end or high end but somewhere in the middle. I have had high end appliances and often they can have their issues too. We went to every major appliance store, including looking around the internet, and we found we kept coming back to this range.

We had electric and converted to gas because we have power failures due to storms and this turned out to be a good choice since we lost our power one week after the new range was installed and was still able to use it....and it was nice to still have a stove top coffee pot that came in handy at this time.
All the burners work well and I used the oven twice with no problems. I actually have found to like the way gas cooks better than electric because I feel I have better control on the heat process.

The range is a smudge-free stainless with a black cook top and black sides. The front and upper panel, including control nobs are stainless. The sides are a textured metal (like the older refrigerators that showed no prints)but the sides really make no difference to me since the sides do not show once you slide the unit in between cabinets.

The clean up process is not a problem. I clean up immediately after cooking because I like my range clean, and in the long run it is easier for any clean up with out the left over build up of spilled or splattered food, etc.

The oven has a slide out rack that is attached to the door when you open it. This is an option. You can just disconnect the rack from the door and have the standard racks that stay put. If you are baking something and want to check it, having the slide out rack comes in handy since you won't have to reach in to slide the rack out to look at the food or test the temperature. I have not used the convection feature yet so I can't comment on this function. The burners work well and have not failed me yet.

There is a bottom drawer where you can put your pans. I currently find it holds my three different size fry pans and their lids.

The temp controls, clock, timer, etc., is all on the top panel which is stainless, with the knobs being on the front of the stove.

CON: The only con I might find with this stove is the black cook top. Some folks may find that black shows more, but if it is cleaned after every meal than it is not a problem.

I would purchase this range again....but "maybe" I would like a stainless looking cook top.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this stove, May 19, 2013
I've had my stove for nearly 2 months now, and I absolutely love it. There's no way someone can turn on the burners by accident as you have to push in the knob and turn at the same time. Trust me ... I tried, and I simply cannot manage to make my belly twist the knob while pushing on it! I'm an engineer and must always satisfy my curiosity! I'm highly dubious about the other reviewer that said they'd done it multiple times.

I had to convert mine form natural gas to propane, and that was easy enough although the instructions could have been clearer. I called their service department and was talked through a part that I'd missed because it was on a page where most of the instructions were irrelevant. I also asked about some styrofoam that was in the back inside of the frame, and they said that it should come out although that wasn't mentioned in any of the reviews. I bought it from Home Depot, and I think it is expected that the people that deliver it will remove all such stuff.

I love the griddle and use it regularly for all sorts of things ... pancakes, hamburgers, taco shells, etc.

The temperature probe in the oven works wonderfully. I've cooked two turkeys using it and was very pleased both times. (I know ... odd time of year to have cooked two turkeys, but we butchered one of mine for Easter, and then my son shot a wild one a couple of weeks ago ... both tasted great!)

All of the other wonderful features you can see on other reviews, and yes, you do have to clean the stove. I've found that to be the case with all stoves. Obnoxious, that, but tough fighting reality!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great stove, love almost everything about it, October 22, 2014
Great stove, love almost everything about it.

HOWEVER, I've owned it for 4 years and since about a year ago (that's 3 years after purchasing new) it's been getting more and more difficult to press the "cancel" button. Finally, it stopped working all together. Then I started using the "bake time" feature; just setting it for 1 minute when I was done with the oven. Today I went to use it and now the "bake" button doesn't work. My only option now is "Pizza" or "Chicken Nuggets". Broil isn't an option as you can't "bake time".

Trying to locate what part I need has been a hassle and I haven't really gotten anywhere on that front. Not looking forward to having to pay a service charge to fix an almost new stove.

****UPDATE*****

I tried what the other user / 3 star reviewer, said: how they fixed this same problem by unplugging and plugging the wires back in. It worked! I have full use of all the buttons again, however I still have to press a little hard to "cancel". I guess I'll just keep doing this as maintenance every couple years.

I've uploaded a picture of the exposed panel. To access it, you have to remove the top metal piece. There are 4 sets of wires, I unplugged the stove first, then unplugged and re-plugged them all.

Good luck!

Here's a link to the picture of the stove back: http://imgur.com/lK5nmKo looks like you'll have to copy and paste it as Amazon apparently doesn't allow links.

1.0 out of 5 stars Has a HUGE Safety Issue-Potential Gas Leak, February 11, 2013
I bought this gas stove less than 5 mo. ago and have run into a very serious design flaw. And thought I have to tell folks about this.

You know how you have to push the knobs in & turn to ignite gas burners- well these knobs need VERY, very little depressing, and they turn very easily too, and a slight turn or bump releases gas without causing the auto ignitor to go on, plus they are high output burners- the combination makes for a GAS LEAK.
It has happened several times to both my partner & myself without noticing until we smell gas. Happens when we're cooking, sometimes happens we reach up to use the microwave above the stove, happened when our dog tried to stove surf-which really freaked us out.
Just yesterday a friend was over and began fixing a cup of coffee on the counter, next to the stove. I guess she may have grazed it with her body as she moved, within a few minutes we all began to smell gas, and we knew just where to check. Sure enough, the damn knob(s).
Some of the knobs seem to protrude out slightly further than the bar/oven handle-so the handle offers no protection of the knobs getting bumped.
Not sure if this problem is limited to our stove, but I would seriously check this stove out in person, at a store first before purchasing.

I am not sure where/who to report this potentially deadly problem to, but thought I mention it here first where there is a significant amt of traffic.

5.0 out of 5 stars great range, October 26, 2013
I am so happy with this stove. I have been baking cookies (3 trays) at a time with the convection feature and the quick boil burners are awesome. I was nervous about delivery because of some reviews I had seen elsewhere but the only problem I had was it being about 3 days later then the end estimated date. I would highly recommend this stove/oven to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's great very satisfied, March 13, 2014
I had the same stove but an older version and decided to stick with the brand. Was nervous about purchasing an appliance online from Amazon but am very happy with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value in a range-wonderful cooktop power and even baking in the convection oven, November 7, 2014
CityGal "khcalgal" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I had this range installed about 6 months ago. It replaced a nine year old Frigidaire gas range which was generally satisfactory but I was always frustrated with the lack of speed of the burners, despite the fact that it had what was, at that time, about the highest BTU burners available on a regular gas range. Water took ages to boil, and with pasta, it almost never came back up to a real boil before the pasta got soft and stuck together without the benefit of a proper boil.

This new one has a more "pro-style" appearance, much sturdier iron grates, and wow, the burners! The 11,000 BTU burner in the old one has morphed into a 17,000 BTU in the right front, and the next more powerful one is 15,000 BTU in the left rear. That means the fastest burner is nearly 50% more powerful than the old one, and boy, does it show! Water boils so quickly I can scarcely believe it. I can stir fry in a wok! There is a long oval center burner that I've not had occasion to use. The grate for it can be replaced with an included griddle, for pancakes, eggs and bacon, and more. I expect it will be very useful for making my Thanksgiving turkey gravy. The roasting pan will fit very nicely on it.

The convection oven is terrific, but I have found it takes longer to preheat than the beep would indicate. I've no idea why I would want a "pizza" setting, however. I've not tried the broiler as I use an outdoor grill, but I expect it would work as well as any gas broiler, moderately well. I've also not yet the need to use the self cleaning cycle but as it worked very well in the old range I expect it will do so with this one. I love to bake and have found the convection oven allows me to actually bake three pans of cookies at a time very evenly. I expect to put the flexible half shelf to use this Thanksgiving, stacking the stuffing and vegetable casserole to the side of the turkey, and that will give me a chance to try out the temperature probe (and undoubtedly the self cleaning feature!).

My only caveat about the rack that pulls out when the oven is opened is to be careful of it. It must be the lower rack, and it will make it easier to burn your hands as it is raised up higher than the oven door when the door is open. Just be aware of it, and know that you can disable this feature if you choose to.

I feel that there is excellent value in this gas range, and as an avid and skilled cook and baker, I'm enjoying it to the max. I paid about $900 for it. A great price for an excellent range. I cannot imagine how a range costing twice as much could improve my cooking. I couldn't be happier!

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled by the nice looks, February 8, 2014
Everything was working fine on this stove when it was new about 4 years ago but slowly over time I had to push harder and harder on the push button display for it to work. After a year I was pushing the commonly used buttons several times just to get the thing to work. After a about 2 years it became nearly impossible to use because even when I'd manage to get the bake button to activate, after punching in the baking temperature I was not able to get the start button to actually turn on the stove. Some of the numbers would fail to work also at times so I was not able to bake at desired temperatures and had to use the next closest temperature I could get the buttons to work for. At first I thought the contacts were worn out and thought I'd have to replace the digital display push button panel but after removing the ribbon cables from the circuit board to the digital control panel and re-connecting them again the control panel miraculously worked again. I've now had to do this a second time. It seems like this problem is progressive and worsens to the point of having an inoperable stove every couple of years. I was originally going to give this stove 1 star for this reason but since the work-around only has to be done every year or two and is relatively easy I've decided to give this stove 3 stars instead. I should not have to troubleshoot and fix my stove within two years of buying it and have to repeat this ever year or so. The other problem is the heat from the burners is enough to slow warp the face of the plastic control panel over time. Mine now has noticeable ripples. The plastic is permanently deformed due to heat. The best thing about this stove is the center griddle. It lets you cook two pancakes at a time and you can keep stuff warm on the edges. It cleans up easily. The oven bakes evenly - no complaints there other than it seems to cook at a bit lower temperature than what you think you are at. I find I have to go 25 degrees higher than a recipe says or increase the bake time by about 25%.