Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on December 8, 2010
My sister lives down south and the AC unit in her living room finally checked out. I was planning on getting her a really cool Christmas present, but, instead, decided to stick to being the practical guy that I am. That's right, I sent her this window unit as an early xmas present. When she recently called me, I was expecting to hear moaning and groaning about what a boring gift I sent. Turns out, the AC was a great gift. My sister said she can now actually hear the TV when the AC is running because it's so quiet and the motor turns itself on and off to keep the room at a constant temperature. She even said it was easy to install, which was one of my biggest concerns. Overall, I'd say best bang for your buck!
11 comment|192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2010
My parents own a home in Florida and they recently turned the walk-in attic into a fourth bedroom/guest quarters. Seemed like a fabulous idea until you are the one sleeping up there, in the HEAT! Since I have been spending so much time in the new bedroom, I knew I had to do something........ buy a window AC!!! I didn't want to spend a lot of money since it's not my permanent residence, so this AC was perfect. I wasn't expecting any miracles since it's a small unit attempting to cool a large open space, but I was more than pleasantly surprised. The converted bedroom turns comfortably cool shortly after turning on the AC and it's sooooo quiet. So long sleepless nights!
0Comment|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2011
Very quiet. I can easily sleep with this in a window about 4 feet from the bed. Cools a room with 9' ceilings and a skylight very quickly.
11 comment|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2011
This unit replaced a recently-non-functioning 15-year-old GE mechanical thermostat 5000 btu window a/c. (We have to lock up our barn cats in the 8x12x10h tack room at night to protect them from the local nocturnal predators (foxes, bobcat, coyote)). This new unit is smaller and a bit more-efficient than the one it replaced, which was a primary concern because of the very limited wattage available in the barn. It's great you can adjust both the auto cool fan speed and auto cool (on/off cycle) settings. So far, in the first week, it's working great. The most difficult thing about the installation was teaching the cats how to use a remote control.

Update 08/30/2012: Completing our second cooling season, and this unit is still working well. Cats have learned how to use the remote control!

Update 05/31/2013: Unfortunately, this unit doesn't cool on its own, now in its third season. As usual, it spent the winter out of the window, protected/covered in an outdoor shed. No external signs of a problem, but the compressor doesn't want to kick in. Have to lower the thermostat to the 60s and give the cabinet a fist-bump, and then it'll cool until it reaches the indicated temp, then the compressor won't come back on again.
55 comments|123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2013
This is perfect for someone who needs to cool a small-medium room. It's not powerful but it sufficiently cools the hottest room in my house. See the pictures to get a sense of how small it is.

PROS
- was also surprisingly easy to install
- for the price ($157.55) it's great b/c it features a on/off timer & uses a safe refrigerant
- good EER

CONS
- wish ACs came in different colors!
review image
on June 21, 2012
Living in the "HOT" south I had 2 rooms that I use in my house and the main A/C was costing me a lot of money. These 2 units I bought keep me cool and lowered my utility bill by a third.
on June 26, 2011
I am very satisfied with this a/c. It is light, cools well, easy to install, and quiet. I would recommend it to anyone in need of an a/c for a small room. One thing, though, the filter comes out on the right side, so your installation must be on the left of the window to accommodate this.
on October 27, 2013
Let me preface this by saying yes, I'm wimpy when it comes to the heat. 90 degrees and 80-90% humidity makes me miserable even with several fans. I have a 14 year old 10,000 BTU Panasonic at my house; this 5,000 BTU unit is for my girlfriend's house. I don't use the AC at home much but it's a godsend when I need it.

This Frigidaire unit is small! No grill to protect the outside though, so be careful if people will be walking back and forth behind it. It really doesn't stick out much from the window which is really nice.

NOISE: It's no noisier than my Panasonic AC. Yes, it's a lot newer but it's also way cheaper and it is a small unit - I don't expect the tiny cheap units to be whisper quiet. My gf is sleeping as I write this, with it set to 75 degrees on low. I know loud or quiet is very subjective, but I find the noise level acceptable.

COOL: How well does it cool? Very well. The room is on the smaller side so this is perfect. I think the air coming out is pretty dang cold, colder than my Panasonic I think - though to be fair, the Panasonic is pretty old. The room cools off nicely and quickly with this Frigidaire.

COVENIENCE: Love the remote control! Plus, it has all kinds of neat modes like auto fan (kind of like auto climate control in a car; it starts off w/ the fan on high, then goes down to low once it reaches the set temp.. then back to high if the temp goes up), energy saver, fan only, and a programmable timer.

EFFICIENCY: I specifically looked for the smallest and most efficient unit. 10.7 EER, 4.5 amps, 465 watts - excellent. With minimal use, I don't expect a huge increase in the electricity bill, even at 35 cents per kWh! Someone else in the house uses a 8,000 BTU portable AC which doesn't cool nearly as well and uses nearly twice the electricity. I'm very happy to have found this unit. I wanted a low amperage because this is not on a dedicated circuit - it's on a 15A shared circuit with a computer, mini fridge, TV, and fans - and so far, no problems at all.

Overall, very pleased. LOVE the electronic thermostat. I was debating between this one and the slightly cheaper unit w/ mechanical (manual) controls, but it was less efficient, so I went with this Frigidaire instead. No regrets.

EDIT: loving this AC more and more. This afternoon it was 87 degrees in the room, according to a fan we have in the room w/ a thermostat. This AC got the room down to 78 very quickly and keeps it there on "AUTO" mode. The compressor doesn't run that much which should lead to some savings on electricity. The fan shows 78 degrees which is exactly what I set the AC to. 78 degrees is a sweet spot so it's not a refrigerator in here, but it removes the humidity and keeps the room comfortable without the compressor running 24/7.

EDIT 2: the summer heat has most definitely started and we've been running the AC almost every afternoon till midnight. 90 degree hot and sunny afternoons means the AC takes a little longer to cool the room (direct afternoon sun) but it always keeps us comfy. I can't put a price on not being sticky, grouchy, and hot - still loving this AC. Last month's electricity bill came and it was less than $1/day extra.. woo! Very happy with the light electricity usage of this AC. I looked over the new reviews and see some folks mentioning it is unreasonably loud. Like I thought in my original review, quieter would be nicer but it's on par with other window ACs in my opinion. Our (very) senior-aged cat with less than stellar eyesight but super hearing, sleeps soundly with this AC on. Will update if anything changes, but I would buy this AC again in a heartbeat!

*Note: I bought this from Amazon Warehouse (shipped from and sold by Amazon) in 'used like new' condition. The unit itself was new, dated 2012, but the box was beat up. My guess is that it is old stock that had a beat up box.
on August 29, 2011
I love the unit. I love the auto on and off when you set it on the energy saving mode. It takes a little to get used to the on and off but it works 20x faster then the $500 SoleusAIR unit I bought.`
on November 26, 2014
The Air Conditioner I received wasn't the same model as the description, so I was not able to get a rebate with my local utility. That kind of sucked, but Amazon did give me a nice discount for it. The efficieny rating on this is 9.7 I believe, and I thought I was getting something in the 8 ish range. I've since forgotten about it all though.

I ordered this model because it seemed energy efficient and fit nicely in my smaller window.

I bought this for my server rack in the garage to keep the servers nice and cool when the garage gets really hot.

Because of my requirements, I really needed an Air Conditioner with a thermostat that could be set to a certain temperature, not just the ones to set to "cool". To make it more efficient, I covered the server rack with some extra plastic I had laying around and taped it to the wall (temporary fix) so that the Air Conditioner serves ONLY the rack equipment.

I like that after a power outage the Air conditioner will return to the previous state as well.

I forgot to mention it is a tad bit on the loud side, even though for me it's mounted in the garage. I can hear it from inside the house on the same side it's mounted on. Perhaps better padding for the air conditioner will remedy this problem of the sound carrying through the walls.
review image review image review image