4.0 out of 5 stars Great Air Conditioner, But...
I am reviewing the Frigidaire FRA086AT7 8,000 BTU Mini Compact Window Air Conditioner. I am giving this AC a good review, but will mention a few things I didn't like about it. All of the complaints are minor, except for one, which was a problem for me, but might not be for you. I'll start with the background information, then list the features, and then list the good...
Published on July 23, 2010 by Dominick Fontana

2.0 out of 5 stars Noisy, noisy, noisy
I bought this air conditioner based on reviews that remarked on how quiet it is. In my experience, it's not. Nothing about it is quiet. The "beep" indicating a change in temperature setting, fan speed, etc. is an unnecessarily noisy and shrill noise. The fan itself is incredibly loud. And so far I do not think the air conditioner is efficient at cooling. Also, the...
Published on May 30, 2011 by KH

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing AirConditioner, May 20, 2011
This review is from: Frigidaire FRA086AT7 8,000 BTU Window-Mounted Compact Air Conditioner with Temperature Sensing Remote (Kitchen)
This 8000 btu Frigidaire unit is amazing! It is very quite and compact. My wife was nervous that it was going to be loud and too big. I can honestly tell you that she was pleasantly satisfied. This air conditioner also has a remote control and the remote control is a remote sensing device so you can set it anywhere in the room and the air conditioner will cool the room based on the temp at that point in the room! This is genius because a lot of air conditioners will turn off if they are set on the econ mode based on the temp near the unit; however, disregarding the temp far away in other parts of the room...

3.0 out of 5 stars Cools well and not so noisy as others have found .... BUT, May 27, 2012
T. Kirkpatrick (Pocono Mountains, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I have had the same experience as AdamDZ: the water slinger mechanism on the outer fan creates a ridiculous amount of noise when water collects in the pan.

I know the manufacturer and most a/c experts will tell you this is 'normal' ... but can you live with what's 'normal' for this design? I couldn't.

The water simply doesn't drain fast enough and when there's water in the pan, the slinger makes all sorts of noise and slings water all over the place. The only setting it wasn't noisy on was High ... on Medium and Low: let the noises begin. It sounded like a rain storm inside the thing!!

After I re-confirmed the fan [on any setting] would be quiet once the pan water was removed [I shot a leaf blower into it], I decided to create a drain hole. I drilled a fairly small hole in the bottom of the pan near the rear. Now the fan is quiet and I can live with this thing.

OK, so it may not be as efficient or will run a bit hotter, too bad. What did a/c units do before some genius thought of the slinger? .... They drained water out of the pan and it kept cooling.

The end user should NOT have to make a decision between efficiency and unreasonable noise. Come ON Frigidaire engineers ... smarten up already!! My choices were: [1] keep it and live with noise/only run it on High; [2] take out of the window, pack it back up and take it back to the store [I already did this with a different unit]; [3] add a drain hole in the pan so the slinger doesn't do it's thing.

Otherwise, this unit isn't quite as noisey as some users have found. It cools pretty well and does remove a lot moisture from a room.

I guess I'm fairly satisfied with this unit after dealing with the slinger noise/condensate in the pan. If it ends up overheating or burning out bkz the condensor ran too hot ... guess I'll be another victim of lousy design and end user 'creativity'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good deal!, April 18, 2012
We really like that it is Energy Star (compare it to the cheaper 8,000BTU non-energy star unitand you realize that it makes up the difference in price in a couple of years and it actually saves you money in the long term). It's not loud as window units go. We also really like the remote thermostat function where you can set the AC unit to cool the room to a certain temp as measured by the thermostat. So if you're sitting on the couch with the remote it will cool the room until it is 68 degrees at the couch and not 68 degrees at the AC unit (which obviously cools down faster). These days I only buy Frigidaire. I still use another Frigidaire 8,000BTU one that I bought 8 years ago which is still working really well and I have a 12,000BTU that I bought more recently and is also stellar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good unit for a small to medium sized bedroom., September 5, 2011
Philipp2 "philipp2" (grand prairie, tx. United States) - See all my reviews
We were needing a small unit like this as emergency cooling for our bedroom as our 13 year old central unit went out in the 100+ degree heat in the DFW area. It would take several days to get our central unit going again and there was no way we could tolerate the heat, so we bought one of these units just to get by for several days.
The unit has worked marvelously for one week now with no major complaints. I had not measured our BR window but during installation I found that the accordion fillers were not wide enough to span across the sides and I had to make a small filler out of 1/8" plywood to finish off the width. I found that our window is 42" wide.
The little remote control/thermostat is very handy as it has all of the controls in it that are necessary to control the window unit, especially the built-in thermostat.

My only complaint is that the accordion fillers are very cheap material and have major light(air) leaks all around them. I ended up making some sheet metal pieces and glued styrofoam behind them to properly cover the fillers on the outside.

I would like to leave the unit installed for emergencies and additional cooling, but we like to have the window open a little during cooler weather for a little fresh air. Besides it is blocking our cat's view out of the window as he plays "watchdog".

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends how you define Quiet, May 20, 2011
I bought this a/c after reading how "quiet" how quiet it was supposed to be. This might be true with respect to the compressor unit, but this unit sure does make a lot of noise. Even on the "lo" setting a massive amount of air is blowing out of the vents. It is quite noticeable and as I've installed this unit in my bedroom it may end up being quite a challenge to sleep. I'm left wanting a setting below "lo".

3.0 out of 5 stars Cold But Loud, June 25, 2012
Katie Concra (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This is pretty much the loudest air conditioner I've ever heard. Even fan mode is incredibly loud. But, it does cool things down and the remote sensor is a neat feature. I would say if you are putting this in a window away from where you'll be sitting, it's a decent machine. But up close, it's really really loud.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for a non-bedroom., April 26, 2012
Most complaints you've read are true except the people who say it doesn't work. They got lemons, it happens. I bought mine on walmart.com, shipped it to store and inspected it right there--even though Amazon was cheaper. After hearing the beep I unplugged the unit, removed the front panel (two screws and snaps off), removed the electrical compartment cover (two screws and slides up), pinched the plastic mounts and seperated the circuit board from the metal bracket, and stuck the foam tape they gave me right on top of the little black round speaker (both sides, a few layers). Now it beeps likes it should, QUIETLY!
The vent adjustemnts...meh. I could bend some cardstock and tape it if I cared. Fan noise is NORMAL to me, a licensed HVAC technician. I like to sleep in the dark too and I live on a main road with lights coming in my windows. I put white out on each LED. Old black T-shirt cut up and taped to the top of the unit hangs over and covers the light that comes through the vents from outside. Does the unit look good anymore? No, but when it's 90 outside and 70 in my room nobody cares. Frigidaire can't please everyone but they'll please you if you can live with a BASIC A/C unit. Four stars for the half hour of my life it took to do all that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice unit but not that cold., April 24, 2012
I purchased this unit for our upstairs bedroom. We have central air in the house, but the master bedroom will still be too warm to sleep on hot summer nights. I decided on this 8000 BTU unit because it was sized right for the room and had excellent reviews. I installed the unit which was pretty easy and turned it on about an hour before I wanted to go to bed. When I opened the bedroom door going in that first night, I expected to be hit with frosty cold air. I had set the temp at 64 which should have made the room cold! Unfortunately the initial rush of air was only cool.... definitely not cold! I was a little disappointed. The unit is nice quality, looks nice, and seems well made. Digital controls and nice features..... The remote works great even without being in direct sight of the unit. Overall I think we will be cool and able to sleep on hot nights which was the purpose.... I just expected to need an extra blanket on the bed which would have been great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great on third floor., October 4, 2011
I live on the third floor of my house. This AC did the job even on the hottest days of summer. This summer we had record breaking heat, this unit passed the test. It may get be warm inside during the afternoon when it's the most hot outside, but it's at least 20 degrees cooler inside then out. My room is about the size of a typical living room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive!, October 8, 2011
This "mini compact" A/C delivers plenty of cold air and not too much noise. It's energy efficient and I see the savings each month in my utility bill. We are so impressed with it that we purchased an additional one when we made the spare bedroom into an office for my husband. Amazon had the best price for it also!

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›