4.0 out of 5 stars Should you "Go Big" ?
Published on August 3, 2011 by Some Average Guy

2.0 out of 5 stars quit working after 2nd year
I live in south Tx so my ac units always get a lot of use, but this machine has quit working now after only 2 years, I believe the compressor is not working, it is only running for 3 min then shuts off and is blowing the circuit breaker, Tx is not a friendly place for ac units, but I would expect it to last more then 2 years
Published 7 months ago by rebecca

4.0 out of 5 stars Should you "Go Big" ?, August 3, 2011
This review is from: Frigidaire FRA156MT1 15,100 BTU Window-Mounted Median Room Air Conditioner (Kitchen)
(*****Update 7/14/12: Wanted to update my review on this and other 15K BTU units. I've been running them for two seasons now in several of my family homes and rental units. They are holding up VERY well. On the Frigidaire they are proving to be quite reliable and hearty. Also to note, the build quality this year seems to have slightly improved over initial models with fewer incidences of rattle and other defects. Last, the price premium has fallen. I would now give the Frigidaire 15K units 4 stars and have even started using it as my workhorse in larger rentals. *****)

This is as big as you can go with 110 volt plug. It takes 12 AMP of power, so whatever circuit you plug it into will likely have little room for anything else (think entertainment center, microwave, etc.)

Beware of window height. Some window styles won't open high enough - Check yours.

Pain to install. Takes me 2 people and 45 mins every time I do one of these big boys.

Cold? Oh yes. It's the full 15,000 BTU. A mighty blizzard compared even to the 12,000 units. It will cool whatever room you put it in and probably the adjoining ones too.

Loud? Compared to others on the market today yes. Compared to even 5 years ago? Not really.

If you've got the window to fit it in and the significant wad of extra cash to pay for the size premium, the only concern I would have is 1) noise and 2) shipping. (This unit's box is just too much for one poor delivery man whereas the smaller box for the 6/8/10/12K BTU units is manageable).

3 stars because I think it's overpriced and find Frigidaire of avg. quality.

Also to consider... here's the review I gave on another model that is relevant to this one:

------------------

Between family and rent houses I put all types and sizes to the test every year in the scorching Texas sun. Here's my experience:

If you want a solid window air conditioner, it really boils down to two choices: Frigidaire and LG. The current "sweet spot" on reliability/price/economy is the 10,000 BTU unit regardless of make/manufacturer.

Recently they've been making 12,000 & 15,000 BTU 110V (normal plug) units.
-The 12000 BTU truly is 20% stronger, but you pay 50% more here on Amazon.
-The 15000 BTU is a snowball tossing beast, but it's in a larger case that may not fit your window (height-wise) and doesn't have a long history on the market so we don't know how it will do long-term

LG Pros - The 10,000 BTU LG is my "workhorse". Best value. Run them till they fail in 4 to 7 years, then swap `em out for another.

1) Better warranty (but really, who cares when it breaks because you're sitting there sweating)
2) Typically last an additional 2-3 years over other brands
3) An LG rarely just stops running - it will degrade slowly over a season
4) They are more tolerant of neglect (e.g. dirty filters... can't rely on tenant to care for your stuff)
5) Better withstands being placed in harsher environments (direct sunlight, restricted airflow)
6) Lower "lemon" rate

Frigidaire Pros - For family I prefer to run 12,000 & 15,000 BTU Frigidaires. They are a little nicer, and I consider it worth it even though they always break sooner. (Value and reliability aren't as important, but I do have to compensate by keeping a new boxed spare around because they always fail at the most inopportune moments. Most people can't do this.)

1) A little nicer looking
2) Better features
3) Quieter
4) Slightly easier installation
5) Circuit surge/drain on startup seems significantly less (think lights flickering when compressor comes on)

Other parting thoughts:

1) A thing to know about newer units: To obtain the higher EER (efficiency) ratings, they use finer design on heat exchanger fins. For the non-experts, this means smaller little spaces that get jammed up with dirt/mold/whatever resulting in a clogged/filthy/poorly operating unit much-much faster than your parents' old units. Appliance repair stores can service your window unit every year (clean it of filth) that will extend life by at least 2 years and sometimes much more. Of course this costs anywhere from $50 up, and the units are cheap, so it's your call whether to service or toss it.

2) The 10,000 BTU Frigidaire here on Amazon is a good buy w/Amazon Prime shipping. For other higher BTU models, as of this writing you'll be paying more but also know that right now with the national heatwave most box stores are sold out so you may not have a choice.

3) Something this heavy is a risky ship (versus store pickup). It might be shipped wrong-side-up, or dropped, or whatever. It's a risk you'll run so do so knowingly. (I seem to have pretty good luck w/Amazon shipped items.) The risk is offset, however, by advantages of buying from Amazon (store would take forever, you'd have to load it and bring it home, have to have a vehicle large enough to carry it, etc.)

4) Clean. Your. Filter. Every. Week. It will keep your little ice machine healthy.

5) Different stores have different models from the same maker. If they are made in the same year, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

6) Tempted to go cheap like a Haier? Don't.

7) Tempted to buy a 6,000 or 8,000 BTU model? Don't. Get the stronger unit. It will cool down the room faster. It will not need to work as hard as a weaker unit and last longer. It is built with some stronger/better key components.

Good luck and happy cooling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Brand - Great A/C, June 25, 2010
We have a 3 year old Frigidaire 22500 which is wonderful. It was an excellent inexpensive yet quality alternative to the Freidrich it replaced. When it was time to replace our bedroom a/c, I automatically drifted to the Frigidaire brand. Because it is powerful, the fan is quite loud on high; tolerable on low. It cools an attic bedroom which takes the sun all day because roof exposure is east-west. Use mostly at night. Cool-down from 90 degrees to 75 is about 10-15 minutes. Really! If during the day, the cool down is another five minutes. Great machine. Excellent price - delivered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big but not Too Big, July 27, 2011
Warning: These are something of a pain to install. I got two of them, so on the plus side, I was an old pro for the second one. :) This is not one of those you can just drop into the window--you have to disconnect and remove the front, remove the outer shell, install the top bar, side runners (for the the expando deals to attach to), install the mounting brackets, install a spacer (if you have old wooden windows like me with storm windows), then install the unit into it and reconnect the front. Took me a few hours for each one, being careful.

On the plus side, they are powerful and do a great job cooling my 1600 sq ft first floor (with 10ft ceilings). Another plus is they run off 110 volt line, so you can plug them into regular outlets. On the other hand, they take 12 amps (rated, and I measured it). So you basically still need a dedicated 15amp circuit for these puppies.

Anyways, I also bought 3 of the smaller models--all have same operation, remotes. Very straightforward. I love the remote sensing feature--I can put the remote up higher and on the other side of the room and set the thermostat, and it is much more accurate that way (just buy some rechargeable AAA batteries to keep em going). I like the energy saver mode--these use that all the time, so it turns off once it reaches the desired temp and comes on as needed.

They are not quiet, but I doubt your bedroom is big enough such that you'd be sleeping with them; however, don't put them in the TV room--you'll have to turn it up loud. I planned on that and intentionally put them in the other rooms on the first floor--they keep the whole floor cool without being a bother that way. Actually, they may be just a tad too much for my needs, but not so much that it is a problem (e.g., no moisture issues).

The air filters are pretty standard; not hard to clean (like a dryer lint trap); it tells you based on a timer when to clean. Then you just clean and reset.

My only real criticism of these (and all like Frigidaire models) is that "eight way" vents are only so-so. I really want the cold air to blow up, but you can only get them at like a 20 degree angle upwards (if I had to estimate). Seems like most window AC units suffer from this issue, though. Not a major issue, but it could be better.

Anyways, they're energy star rated, but they're still going to cost you, especially in the hotter times, but hey, it is SO worth it! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Cold!, June 10, 2013
This AC unit is a great deal for the price. I purchased mine at Lowes. It's working great so far.

The only complaint I have is that when it is on Econ mode, it stays off for too long and the house does get a bit warmer than the set temperature. I think it has to do with where I have it installed, and not so much the components of the AC unit.

*** WORD TO THE WISE*** I have seen reviews saying that they cannot find the drain hole for the AC unit, and people are drilling them into the bottom - do NOT do this! The AC is equipped with scoop blades on the fan. The fan scoops up the excess water from the pan and uses it to cool the compressor. If you drill a drain hole, it will not work correctly, and your unit will not last as long or be as efficient.

5.0 out of 5 stars cool air, June 8, 2012
It took two hours to install this unit by two muscular men. It is not as simple as other window AC units, which you just have to slide in the window and shut the door. And if you think I am an idiot, think again. I installed and assembled everything that is in my house, furniture from IKEA to my own desktop computer. You would actually have to tear the unit apart to install, which I believe it's much safer way to install. First step was to unscrew four screws after tearing up the front part of the AC unit, slide out the inside of the AC unit (core components), install the metal bar that goes on the top and side of the AC metal cage, and install the outside metal cage first and slide the core components inside in the cage. Sounds simple right? Absolutely not.
This is a good video (not Frigidaire video) that I found on YouTube, which might give you an idea what you have to do:
[...] (copy and paste)

Things I want to point out to FRIGIDAIRE:
1) The manual is absolutely garbage. Must be thorough and have some zoomed in pictures for better idea.
2) Different screws were all in the same bag, and I really can't tell the difference between 5/16", 7/16" from all the other different screws in a tiny bag. This took me longest to figure out which screws go where. And I had ten screws left after installing the unit, since I used my own long screws to stabilize the unit. I was very puzzled during the process if I am doing thing right.
3) The supporter that was included is just pure garbage. It is just a triangle looking piece of metal that you need "perfect precise height" of the window and the window sill to be useful. Instead, I had to buy $40 supporter at Lowes, which also gave me a big problem. I bought the larger sized supporter at Lowes since it's the law for NYC to have bracket or support for window AC unit. After installing the bracket, we tried to put the metal cage on the window. The problem arose when the metal cage is not sitting on the bracket since the cage is entirely empty and bottom of the cage is completely open. So, we have to drill more holes to stabilize the cage before we slide in the core components. When we are sliding in the core component, more issue arose when the component is sitting on the bracket and the cage is held on only by the window and few screws. The inside of the unit is sitting on the bracket at near zero degree slope and the cage has a downward slope (its designed that way). Theoretically, the inside component should sit on the metal cage, but things didn't go perfect. Well, it fits, but slightly off the mark. (maybe like 5 degrees)
4) Installing the side wings for the unit is absolutely madness! Took me good 5 minutes to figure out which side is "right side" or "left side" from how you look at it.

However, it does well on one thing that matters the most. IT BLOWS REALLY COLD AIR! I was a little scared due to living in NYC apartment 7th floor, for not having enough amperage and using 100 year old window to hold 120lb air conditioner. However, it seems things are looking good for this summer!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great AC for the price!, June 11, 2013
This AC is cooling my 1,100 sq. ft. apt. -- it's quiet, handsome in appearance, easy to install and worth every dollar!

5.0 out of 5 stars very happy, July 15, 2010
we received this air conditioner really really fast and my husband had it in the window pretty quickly even though its weighs 112 lbs. we've only had it for one day but seems to work great and even tells you the room temp and you can set it to the room temp you want. we are very happy with this product so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Both better and worse than yesterday's models, August 11, 2013
watcher (San Antonio, Texas) - See all my reviews
My story is like many others. I needed to replace a 12 year old, 12k BTU Whirlpool that was losing freon. My 400 sq ft room is on the sunny side where it can get to 104F outside.

New units are different than older ones. To try and make them more efficient, lighter (less durable) compressors are used, the radiator fins are much closer together to pack a lot more in, and the water it accumulates is splattered by the outside fan on the external coils to improve cooling.

The new 15k BTU Frigidaire has 25% more BTU's than my old unit, but uses about the same amount of electricity. Designed to cool up to 900 sq ft, it seems to cool down my 400 sq ft in about 2 hours the same as my old 12k unit did. Over several hours though, I can see how it could bring down the temperature more in a larger area. Also, being larger and more efficient it doesn't have to work as hard. I'm happy with the quality of my new Frigidaire but my complaints are:

-The installation guide is VERY poorly written and even incorrect in places, requiring someone with installation ability possibly several hours more than necessary. The screws included work for the most part, but don't always resemble what is in the guide. Four would not thread into the plastic parts and I had to leave them out.
-Since the fins are so close together, I worry about them getting dirty and plugged much faster. They will require more than an occasional delicate cleaning with a garden hose. We are in the age now where we just have to expect to service and replace appliances more often than we used to.
-With the fan on high, the Frigidaire is quieter than my old unit. On low fan however, the old unit is slightly quieter because it's compressor hums less.
-The external fan scoops up water and splatters it on the condenser coils. During times of high humidity this can produce what sounds like water drops hitting a tin roof every 10 seconds or so and can be annoying. Other times it's not as noticeable.
-A regular central air conditioner will leave the fan and compressor off if the room temperature is lower than you have the thermostat set. The Frigidaire's fan must either be running all of the time, or set to energy saver which turns the fan on every 10 minutes for a few seconds.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT!, July 21, 2013
J. Miller (Catskill, NY United States) - See all my reviews
We're just cooling off (it's 85 degrees in NY today) from 2 back to back heat waves. Bought 2 of these babies, they are surprisingly quiet and did the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! Frigid AIR!, July 1, 2013
Our unit arrived today. It is very heavy but well worth the work. With vaulted ceilings and a very open concept living room, dining room, kitchen.. this air conditioner has it TOO cold! I will update my review on a typical very hot/humid day.