5.0 out of 5 stars Great value!
Published on December 21, 2008 by Sparky

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money and a lot of stress...
Published on October 8, 2012 by Drew

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value!, December 21, 2008
Sparky (Marquette, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frigidaire : FTF2140FS 27 Front-Load Washer - White
When looking to replace my washing machine, I started out looking at the traditional top loaders. The cheap ones were around $300 and more standard quality ones around $400, and I saw some that were another $100 or more beyond that. When the salesman asked me about front load washers, I didn't give it much thought because they tend to be more pricey and out of my range. In fact, the first one he showed me was about $700. When I asked him what the cheaper ones cost, he showed me the Frigidaire FTF2140FS for $550, and seeing as they had $100 off deal, it was only slightly more than the standard top loader. So I took him up on the deal, ultimately paying $475 after tax, and so far I'm very happy with its performance.

I usually have two or three people who rent rooms in my house. The old washer took 40 gallons of water per load. The Frigidaire takes just 15 gallons! So right off the bat I'm going to be saving a lot on my water bill, as well as a few bucks on electricity as this washer takes less of that to operate, too.

The controls are pretty simple to figure out. Ten cycles, four temperature settings, you can set how fast you want the basket to spin, and there's a few extra options, too. Shut the door, hit start, and let it go. Just be sure to remember that you must use HE (High Efficiency) detergent.

The wash is very quiet and the spin dry sucks the water right out of the clothes. I can dry my stuff in half the time!

I did encounter one problem twice. When washing my bed sheets and blankets, I heard a beeping noise. The washer was stopped and I thought it was done, but it turns out my sheets were still soaked. I looked at the manual and apparently if the load in the washer basket becomes uneven, it won't spin (that's why it was beeping). So I just pushed the blankets a few times, shut the door, and on the cycle dial there's an option for Final Spin, which is just that, the final spin dry. So I selected that, hit start, and it worked both times. I haven't had that problem with any other load of laundry before or after that.

This was my first foray into the world of front load washers and so far I'm very pleased with the results! It's quiet, efficient, my clothes are clean and smell fresh, and most important of all to me, it isn't tearing my clothes like my old washer was. And for the price I got it at, it's a great value!

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money and a lot of stress..., October 8, 2012
Drew (brooklyn, ny) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frigidaire : FTF2140FS 27 Front-Load Washer - White
I don't think the problems many are listing here are problems with front loading washers in general, just this particular model. I've had mine about 4 years now and now i have to call the repair man again (for the 3rd time). First, a sock somehow got behind the drum, clogged the drain, so it would never empty. That was in yr 1 of owning it. Then the motor went on it in yr 3. Now in the fourth year, the door mechanism is shot. It always thinks the door is open so it won't start.

I did have some mildew issues, but i just use a little vinegar like someone else suggested and it's fine. Oh, and it absolutely eats up our clothes in the washer, but more so in the matching dryer. We've lost many pieces of clothing in there and sometimes it's not even a button/zipper/clasp/etc. Sometimes the fabric just gets caught up and by the time you dig it out it's ruined.

definitely don't go with this model.

1.0 out of 5 stars CANNOT ADJUST WATER LEVEL - Insufficient Water, June 24, 2011
I had a Frigidaire front loader for 9 years that I loved. I replaced
it with this model. After the fact, I found out that the water level
could not be adjusted and it appeared that there was just enough water
to wet the clothes---someone told us that the new washers went from
40 gallons of water to 15 but I have not verified those figures. I
would always use the extra rinse and leave the door open after use
to prevent mold issues. Well after 18 months I noticed a mold smell.
There was NEVER a problem in the previous washer. I googled this
and found that it was a common problems in the new "energy saving"
(non-adjustable water level) front loaders. I talked with Frigidaire
and I will give them credit, they did replace the rubber gasket in the
door with a new one that has a mold inhibitor--at no charge even though
out of warranty. I will continue to buy Frigidaire but I will never
buy another front loader as long as there is not a water adjustment level.
I was told by an appliance salesman that in order to prevent mold issues
in these new energy (low water level) saving washers one must do the
1. Only use warm water
2. Only use 2 tablespoons of soap if normal water
and just one tablespoon of soap if soft water
3. Always use extra rinse
4. Never use fabric softener
5. Leave the door and the soap tray open after use.

I now run the machine once with soap then run it again without any
soap to get the clothes clean and rinsed well. I will use it until
it breaks and then forget about buying another front loader.

I was told that the new TOP loaders have water levels that are
also NOT adjustable but that Speed Queen (made in USA) still makes one
that a person can adjust the level.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 Year Washer, November 10, 2009
This review is from: Frigidaire : FTF2140FS 27 Front-Load Washer - White
We bought this washer along with the counterpart dryer to stack and save space. It lasted 2 years until the motor went out. This will be our last front-loader as well. We will get a top loader for the same price to repair this one!

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter garbage, December 16, 2010
This review is from: Frigidaire : FTF2140FS 27 Front-Load Washer - White
This thing has been a headache since the day I bought it. It's very fussy about when it wants to spin. Half of the time, it just won't and you get a sopping wet load of laundry. I found on the internets that you can force it to spin via diagnostic mode and I refer to those instructions about twice a month. Beyond the spinning headaches, there's the smell. Oh my oh my is there the smell! This thing stinks like a cooler full of mildew. I've scrubbed out the gasket countless times because of mildew problems. I've changed soaps from power flakes, to liquid now to those all-in-one detergent/dryer sheets. The smell has gotten better, but most of my towels have a lingering odor several weeks now into the latest detergent. Don't even think of using powder because the dispenser only fills with ice cold water. I've ended up with hunks of half rinsed detergent clogs stuck in the drawer.

In short, this piece of junk has been utterly miserable. I've used 3rd hand junk store washers for a quarter of the price that worked better and lasted longer. I'm only on here looking for parts/information on how to repair this heap of garbage because it now does not spin at all and I'm presuming it's because the motor is broken (two years old).

I don't know if all front loaders are the same, but I most certainly won't be making the same mistake twice. What a pile of overpriced, overhyped junk. Europe can have this garbage back!

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT buy a Frigidaire!, September 2, 2013
This review is from: Frigidaire : FTF2140FS 27 Front-Load Washer - White
We purchased a Frigidaire washing machine six years ago and had lots of trouble with it - mold in the seal, grabbing clothes, maniacal beeping. The mother board went out - with a $450 price tag for repair. We called Frigidaire to find out if we could buy a new machine and have it stack with our functioning dryer. They told us what to buy. Trusting their staff, we bought it but it turns out it won't stack after all. All they could say was, "too bad you got wrong information. Our hands are tied." The Appliance Factory Outlet we purchased it from told us they would help but apparently their "hands are tied, too." They refuse to take the item back, did not provide the service they agreed to provide, and put us off for days by passing us from "service rep" to service rep. At the end of the day, we have a dryer blocking the exit door of our mud room and a washing machine that we NEVER would have bought. Planned obsolescence, terrible customer service, not taking responsibility for giving bad information to a consumer AND a substandard product to boot! DO NOT do business with this company or you will regret it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what we expected in an HE unit, July 19, 2013
This review is from: Frigidaire : FTF2140FS 27 Front-Load Washer - White
We have owned this unit for several years. Bought it new from a local dealer at a great price. Pros: uses very little water, spins out to nearly dry, price. Cons: detergent drawer can be cleaned if taken apart and soaked in bleach water, which must be done frequently because the alternative is hazmat level mold. The cavity that the drawer slides into can only be partially cleaned, and we've tried everything other than taking it outside and using a power washer, which we've seriously considered. The markings on the front of the unit indicating wash cycles, etc. have completely worn off--they should be able to handle a little window cleaner without dissolving. The detergent drawer face cracked and chipped off pieces of plastic over time, and not from severe use. Forget about soaking anything in this unit, as it uses the aforementioned very little water. In short, we hate this thing, so we got rid of it this week, replacing it with an efficient top-loader.

1.0 out of 5 stars nightmare, February 24, 2011
This review is from: Frigidaire : FTF2140FS 27 Front-Load Washer - White
We have owned this washer and dryer set for a year now. I absolutely loved this set until a month went by. Every bra, tank top and anything with a string was destroyed in either the washer or the dryer. (I would buy brand new clothing and not even get the chance to wear it before it was shredded!)I joked with people about how this is a washer and dryer set meant for a man only home, until my husbands buttons were being ripped off of his jeans and my son's zippers were ripped off of his sweaters and jackets. I really just want to go back to the basic top loader set and I would have saved more money on both the clothes and the washer and dryer if I would have done that to begin with! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY WITH THIS SET!

2.0 out of 5 stars Washers should last longer, August 7, 2009
This review is from: Frigidaire : FTF2140FS 27 Front-Load Washer - White
Someone told me that they won't buy a front loader because they don't last more than 3 years. I said, "Ours works great!" And, then it broke at 2 1/2 years. I won't buy a front loader again.
If you wash any large or heavier item (think blanket or small rug), the spin won't work anymore.

3.0 out of 5 stars Owned since 1/2009 Read On, October 13, 2012
This review is from: Frigidaire : FTF2140FS 27 Front-Load Washer - White
I purchased this machine new, back in Jan of 09 at Lowes. $589.00 I also bought the extended 4 year warantee.$69.00. It has only died once, a computer board problem, but it was covered by the EXTENDED WARANTEE. My experience as a single, male... It is very quiet, uses very little water and detergent. I have had no problem with odor, but I do leave the door ajar when not in use.

Unfortunately, I find clothes must be washed twice to get them really clean, especially if trying to rid of an odor. Also, I noticed some simple articles of clothing, like T-shirt come out ripped or torn. I never had either of these issues with the top loaders I've owned.

Would I buy it again... no. Though I am not dismissing another front loader, just this model. By the way, it is labelled Frigidaire, but the manufacturer tag is ELECTROLUX. Interesting tidbit.