4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice fridge

1.0 out of 5 stars FGHB2844LF4 BEWARE ICE MAKER PROBLEMS
Published on June 11, 2012 by D. Gilmartin

1.0 out of 5 stars FGHB2844LF4 BEWARE ICE MAKER PROBLEMS, June 11, 2012
D. Gilmartin "NPCEDITOR" (Clayton, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frigidaire Gallery FGHB2844LF, 27.8 Cubic Ft French Door Refrigerator, Stainless Steel (Misc.)
I bought this refrigerator in April of 2011 for a new home we purchased. The refrigerator and freezer section seems to be ok, but the ice maker was less than stellar from the beginning. At 6 months the ice maker started to make strange grinding noises and was very loud. It stopped working altogether and I called for service. Fridigaire was less than cooperative in supplying me with a service person in my area and were generally rude. The ice maker started to work again after I shut if off, cleaned out the ice tray, and let it defrost for a while. It worked at varying levels until June 2012 when it gave up all together. Fridigaire is owned by Electrolux. There is currently a class action lawsuit against Electrolux for a defective ice maker of similar design and using common parts. I am currently working on expanding this class action lawsuit to include the FGHB2844LF4 FRIDIGAIRE. I will update this review when I have more information. Meanwhile, DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT OR ONE SIMILAR.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hate this ice maker!, January 10, 2012
We've had this model since October 2010 and in that time we've had 4 service calls on it, each one resulting in multiple trips by a technician. Every technician complained what a poor design this ice maker is--"you can't make ice in a refrigerator." Either it stopped making ice or it froze up so bad it took days to thaw out. The 3rd call was placed 9 days after the one year warranty expired, so Frigidaire denied the replacement. I complained enough and they did extend the warranty for another year at least. This last call is going on 2 months since it stopped working. In that time the technician has been out 6 times and it's still not fixed. The Techline is telling him to replace the control board--again! This makes the 4th one. I've contacted the store where I bought it to see if they can intervene on our behalf. Frigidaire customer service has not been helpful. It's really too bad because I love the fridge otherwise. It's great having the large shelves and drawers. This was our first ice/water dispenser so we're really disappointed. It's really turned me off to Frigidaire.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ice maker Trouble - stay away, June 26, 2012
This model looks nice and has good space however the ice maker in this unit is horrible. It worked fine for about 1 year then shot craps. We had 7-8 repair visits and after throwing part after part at it we are having to replace the unit (luckily under an extended warranty). The different techs that came out said it was a new design and is very complicated with many moving parts. The design was discontinued by Fridgidaire after this one model year.

I will not buy Fridgidaire ever again nor would I recommend it to anyone. They should have "taken this on the chin" and issued a recall on this unit. Since they chose to bury their heads in the sand I will never knowingly spend another penny on anything Fridgidaire.

1.0 out of 5 stars You couldn't make ice in Anchorage with this refrigerator!, April 30, 2013
We've had this Frigidaire refrigerator for two years, and every day we regret having purchased it, mostly due to the horrible ice maker. It leaks, it freezes up, it quits making ice, it makes grinding noises in the middle of the night, and it requires that we shut it off and restart it after 24 hours, and "HOPE" that it starts making ice again!

With all the bagged ice I've had to buy at 7-11 in the last two years, I could have bought a different refrigerator!

Frigidaire customer service was absolutely no help at all. They keep telling me that the water filter needs replacing. B.S.!!!

**UPDATED REVIEW 4/2014: That's it...I give up. I quit. The 3-year old refrigerator has been put out of its misery and is now sitting on the curb waiting for the junk-man to come pick up this piece of crap. For three long years we have had to deal with puddles of water on the floor where the ice (when we were lucky enough for this unit to decide to make ice!) in the storage container simply defrosted and melted all over the wood floor. We have had to listen to the unit make all sorts of grinding and clunking sounds all through the night, and after six, yes SIX, service calls and hundreds of dollars spent on repairs, the refrigerator side of the unit wouldn't cool any longer so all of our food was spoiled.

Shame on you, Frigidaire, for not standing behind a poorly designed product. Initially, I called your customer service many times for help, and only after threatening legal action did you offer minimal support for parts. However, when the service tech arrived to completely replace the faulty ice maker (I paid for labor), you would not replace the parts requested by the tech, and the problems were never resolved. BUYER BEWARE OF THIS MODEL!

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy this model !!!!, May 18, 2012
Reading these reviews is like reading my own letters to the retailer that I bought mine from !! My wife and I bought this model in January 2011 and lucky for us, the extended warranty as well. It's on it's 4th service call for the same problem, the ice maker stops working/freezes up/drips water everywhere. This time around both the condenser and dryer/filter failed, leaving us with 27 cubic feet of spoiled food. For months we have had problems with food spoiling very quickly, found out that the fridge has been at 50 degrees even though the front panel indicated 37 (yuck). French door models are wonderful in terms of versatility and space, but they all have to some degree the same problem, you cant make ice in a fridge compartment. I hear other brands are more successful, gettin ready to negotiate a trade in on this one for something else.

2.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT PURCHASE!!!, March 14, 2013
We purchased this refrigerator in October of 2012. The service man has now been here 3 times. Contrary to other reviews, the ice maker in ours actually works well for our family of 3. Our problem is the puresource filter. I've come to learn, from the service tech, that they are notorious for breaking. The plastic actually just breaks. I'm told its due to the water pressure in my home, however, the service tech checked the pressure and it is well below the recommended maximum. After 4 months, it has gone through 3 filters (all broken not worn out) at 45$ each. Of course filters are NOT covered under warranty. I'm told that frigidaire actually recommends bypassing the filter as a fix. It doesn't seem right that I had to pay 2k for a refrigerator that provides filtered water via the door only to be told by the manufacturer that I should bypass the filter. I forgot to mention that when the filter breaks, which it does without notice, it then leaks water all over the refrigerator and down into the freezer before running out on your kitchen floor. Again......DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless of course you want to spend the extra 50$ every month or so for a new filter

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice fridge, May 10, 2011
The fridge is very nice. It looks excellent. It is a bit bigger than the stated dimensions - we had a very hard time fitting it in a standard 36" opening. The water dispenses very quickly and tastes great. The ice cubes are small, which I like a lot (easier to put in water bottles). On the negative - the cold cuts drawer (the thin large one) is not great. You have to open both doors in order to open it, and even then it does not pull out all the way. The sides of the fridge are gray (not stainless steal) and they do not look good at all, but show a lot, because the fridge is large.

Water filter is awesome for the first 4-5 months. Then, as the filter gets clogged, the water starts to run very slow. Replacing the water filter is very easy - takes less than 5 min.

There is no alarm if door is left open. Only if you try to dispence ice, then alarm sounds, but if you just leave the door open, no sound sounds.

2.0 out of 5 stars Icemaker problems continuing ..., June 28, 2012
I finally got a new refrigerator - the Fridgidare Gallery with French Doors. It's gorgeous, however, the icemaker is terrible. It is very slow and we have to buy ice to keep up, and honestly we don't use that much. It takes at least 24 hours to refill and it is small container. They have replaced it once, still works badly. I'm waiting to hear from them again.

Well, I've had this fridge for a year and the ice maker has been replaced 4 times. It is still not working, no ice at all. Waiting again for a repairman

1.0 out of 5 stars Ice maker fails, water line freezes - Don't buy, October 7, 2012
I have purchased the 1st unit in August of 2010 by December the water line was freezing up, the dealer had the repairmen out 4 times without fixing the problem. They finally replace the unit in March of 2011 now in 2012 the lines froze up again and I placed a baffle over the hole between the freezer and Refrigerator which fix the problem. Now the ice maker is leaking water as the ice melts and the unit is out of warranty and the dealer is out of business. I understand that the fan unit in the ice maker has failed but I have not confirmed.

1 year warranty says it all and I heard that extended warranty are not worth it as many are scam as few actually do as they promise.

My comment is don't buy any appliance from Frigidaire unless you like your appliance repairman.

3.0 out of 5 stars Refrigerator is nice but the icemaker is trouble, November 5, 2012
We bought our refrigerator during the summer of 2011 and, thankfully, also purchased a 5-year warranty. The refrigerator and freezer are wonderful - very spacious and well designed. The icemaker, though, is trouble. We have had 3 service calls related to the icemaker: either producing too much ice (and not shutting off) or it has frozen the water line causing the water dispenser to not work and no ice to be produced. (In fact, we just set up another service call because of the frozen water line.) It also produces way too much ice for just two of us so we often find ourselves dumping the ice every few weeks. If we had to do it all over again, we would probably go with a different product.