Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

Size: 12-OunceColor: Stainless SteelPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange

on July 5, 2011
For the longest time I was storing my coffee in the bag which the coffee came in. I got fed up with this as Starbucks seems to have switched to bags which rip easily when opening. I chose this canister based upon the looks and price. I don't care for the gimmicky CO2 flter which needs replacing. I view this as pointless and really just as a means of getting more money out of consumers with a consumable (this is how many companies make more money). To be honest, for the filter to work best, they would need to put it at the bottom as CO2 is heavier than air. I'm sure it handles some CO2 but not in any quantity to make a difference. The downside of this filter is that it does not provide an air-tight seal which is what is most widely recommended. I go through coffee fairly quickly and so I'm not too worried about this. The can does hold 1 pound of coffee beans with some room to spare. So far the latching mechanism works well. I have no intentions of using the filters and would not suggest that the presence of this filter system be the deciding factor (either way). Go for looks and price as all cans will be mostly the same.

Update Feb 07 2012

So I have had the can for half a year and it's still working out great! The latching mechanism is still solid and my coffee stays fresh. I did want to note that I was unaware that CO2 buildup was an issue for folks who roast their own beans (something I've never done but wanted to do). Therefore my commentary on the CO2 valve was unwarranted as it does serve a much needed purpose. So, it's hard to find any flaws with the can. I'm very happy and would still suggest this to anyone who's looking for a great storage can for their coffee.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2012
This is a pretty way to store your coffee. I'm sure it vents the C02 as advertised, however, if you open it everyday like I do, then you will take out coffee and add more and more air every time you brew. Unlike a bag of coffee, you can't compress the air out of this unit, so, as a result your coffee will taste stale after 10-14 days. Additionally, you can pop off the valves easily on most coffee bags, so don't waste your money on buying Friis valves. Simply put your coffee in the can, peel off the new valve from the bag it came with, insert into top of new can and viola, no more buying valves.

If there were a way to vacuum the air out of the can, this thing would be perfect.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2012
This product takes a novel approach to storing coffee beans, but it does appear to work.

Most coffee storage canisters try to make a vacuum to protect coffee from oxygenation. This seems like the best approach, except that on domestic equipment it is very hard to create and maintain a decent vacuum and a lot of these canisters gradually get less effective to the point where they are not making much of a vacuum at all. Then there is the Airscape which takes the approach of pushing out as much air as possible, but unfortunately it cannot get it all out.

This product uses the fact that coffee beans release CO2. The valve allows gases out but not back in. So when you close the canister (and it has a good quality seal and latch which ensures it is tightly closed) the CO2 produced by the beans gradually pushes all the oxygen (and then the excess CO2) out of the canister.

Now how effective this is, is the subject of some debate in the coffee community (as it seems is everything). For example, some people are saying that it doesn't work as well if you open the canister frequently. Obviously this is true with any system but I'm not sure how much of an effect it has on this canister. I'm not sure how long it actually takes for the canister to expel all the oxygen. It'd be good if someone with a chemistry or coffee beanology degree could work this out!

I also surmise that this product will work better if your beans start out freshly roasted so they are producing plenty of CO2 (but if you're not starting with freshly roasted beans, why worry how you store them) and if the canister has more coffee in it (so choose the smaller size if you will never have more than 12oz in storage).

Anyway, ultimately the proof is in the testing and the only test I've seen, done by Seattle Coffee Blog, concluded that this product performs at least as well as the Airscape and will keep beans tasting good for a week and okay for two weeks. So that works for me.

What I really like about this canister compared to the other available solutions is that it is extremely mechnically simple, so I think it will outlast its competitors in terms of lifespan. You do have to replace the little plastic valves each month, but it comes with the first year's supply and they are fairly cheap thereafter, so as long as the canister is of sufficient build quality to keep a good seal from one year to the next I'm not too fussed about that expense.
on July 10, 2012
I was skeptical of the CO2 trap, thinking it was largely a gimmick. I have a seriously trained palate that I've developed professionally over the last 12 years, primarily in the service, high-retail, and wholesale world of vintage Grand Cru wines, and all wines, and then 7 years ago I moved into coffee as another field where to utilize my palate and nez (nose). PROs: after several bags of really varied roasts kept in this, I have finally accepted: the CO2 trap DOES make a difference from a regular hermetically-clamped jar. At the end of the stash, there is still good brightness in the aroma of the beans; it doesn't just fade to a typical dark, 'cooked' aroma. Just replace the filters regularly if you want it to work. It should come with several extra AND a little registration card you put in the mail and they send back a bunch more filters free, so the so-called "gimmick" as some have called it doesn't seem to me to be very lucrative for them because they aren't expensive and I am set for a long time already with extras...So it rocks, in short. CONs: Ideally, I'd like this jar to come in a smaller size, like a 10-ounce. The twelve ounce is a little too big IMHO, because when I have new beans, I put a little in my grinder's hopper, and the rest in the jar. It only fills this 12-oz about 2/3 to 3/4 typically. Also, the wire around the lid should be thicker and not flex so much. That said, the seal there is very good, and it seems that it will still be durable even if it is wimpy to the eye. OVERALL: Best storage jar I've found. You have nothing to lose. Just don't buy the bigger version unless you are a shop.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2015
The Coffee Vault is excellent. Seals and vents, keeping coffee extra fresh whether whole bean or ground! I love it, especially the very attractive Red color...also bought one in black to differentiate between Caffeinated and Decaffeinated Coffee beans. Very satisfied with quality and performance!
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2011
I truly thought this was another gadget and would be just ok. Was I wrong!!! It is fabulous. I have been using the vault for 2 weeks and went through an entire bag of coffee before reviewing. The last cup is as fresh and delicious as the first; something that normally never happens after more than a very few days. I like it so much that I will be ordering another one for flavored coffee. The only suggestion I would have is that they make either different color lids or some little space on top in order to briefly list the coffee that is inside. However, a small piece of masking tape on top will solve the problem when I get the second one. Wonderful product that lives up to the hype.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2013
First off, I just want to say that I faithfully rely on reviews by other Amazon shoppers, and when purchasing this item was no different. I blindly purchased this item based upon the near perfect rating provided by 200+ members.

When I received it though, I was immediately disappointed. Lets start from the top:

- The black plastic lid is very lightweight cheap feeling plastic, feels as if it is meant to be disposable
- The clamp is very thin gauge steel and is flimsy feeling. When clamped closed, it doesn’t clamp tightly to keep a good seal. If the seal is bad, the product is bad.
- The the clamp is attached to a compression ring around the body of the canister, which slides up and down, this naturally affects how the clamp engages.
- Very thin-walled stainless steel which contributes to the overall “cheap” feel to the product

I’m not saying this is a completely useless product. If it were selling for about $6 I would probably keep it and find a use for it, rather than returning it. However being marketed as a quality storage container which is going to keep coffee fresh is just a downright misrepresentation.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2013
I hate to rain on anyone's parade BUT I received one of these as a Christmas present and was suspicious the moment I saw the descriptions on the outside of the box. These guys confuse filters and valves. Looking deeper into the information, it appears what they present is the same valve that is on most premium coffee bags. It lets gas (air, including CO2) go out of the bag but not back into the bag. There is no reason this valve should not last a long, long time. The bag is actually better than this container because you can push out the excess air in the bag after you close it; you can't do this with a metal container. Sure they give you some free valves but once you convince yourself they're a necessity, you'll come back to buy some. Incidentally, if the beans do generate CO2, the CO2 will eventually push all of the air out of the container leaving 100% CO2 in the container. This kind of conflicts with their advertising doesn't it? BTW, I'm a retired power plant engineer and very familiar with CO2, filters and valves.
on September 29, 2013
I bought the two vault set a short while back and when I went to change the "freshness" valve I could not get the top with the Friis name on it to click back on. I contacted Friis by email and, at first, they replied to me and asked for "clarification" of my problem. However, then there was "nothing". They were not willing to send me a tiny part so my container was useful.

They have no customer service so therefore why buy from this company? Because if you have problems, you will not get any help from them.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2015
Purchased for the coffee drinker in the family, as he would never buy it for himself. He says it does improve the taste of the coffee. Looks good in my kitchen too! Quality made product. Has little plastic seals that you replace for the freshness and there is a date reminder on the top also. It has a great finish and is easy to clean. I am going to purchase a second one for my teas. With the rising cost of coffee it is well worth the investment.
review image