Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on September 23, 2012
Even though I heard about the plans for it, I'd totally forgotten that the 'Fringe: Beyond the Fringe' comic series had even existed, so it came as something of a surprise when I realized this trade paperback compilation had just come out.

Parts of it make for fascinating reading (Joshua Jackson shouldn't quit his day job, God forbid, but he should also keep writing, good story!) and parts of it are just whimsical 'what-if' situations.

I enjoyed this volume quite a lot, even if I'm not the biggest comics/graphic novel fan in the universe.

Visually interesting in style, but also, they've got some stories to tell that are entertaining riffs on the sorts of weirdness that passes for normal in the Fringe universe.

If you're not (yet) familiar with Fringe, the tv show, by all means, get caught up on the dvds, but this is probably not a great place to start your explorations.

Season 1 should get you started nicely. Fringe: The Complete First Season
on September 29, 2012
Fringe: Beyond the Fringe
by Megan Gotch (@thenerdygirlie)

Fringe: Beyond the Fringe, a graphic novel written by series star Joshua Jackson, is a great way to get back into the world of the TV show and explore the characters in alternate realities.

The first story, "Peter and the Machine," follows Peter (Jacksons' character) during his time between season three and four. As a "Fringie," reading these stories is an awesome way to delve deep into things we would not otherwise get to see. Since this is the last season of Fringe, it is nice to know that the world and characters we love will be able to live on in different ways.

The rest of the book tells fun "Imagine If...?" stories. We get the same characters we know and love, but in totally different situations from how we normally get to see them. "Imagine If Peter Never Died," "Imagine If Astrid was a Spy," "Imagine If Olivia and Peter had a Child with Cortexiphan Powers," "Imagine If Peter were a Superhero," "Imagine If Our Fringe Team were Criminals," "Imagine If Walter Outlived the Earth," "Imagine If Walter was in Violet Sedan Chair," and lastly "Ghost Writer." It is hard to pick a favorite because they are all so unique, but the one about Peter and Olivia's child had a sweet and surprise ending that my mushy heart could not ignore!

That being said, there was not a story I did not like. They were all so creative. There was drama mixed with comedy, and of course, sci-fi. And Fringe would not be Fringe without its Easter eggs. Tiny bits from the show are hidden in the pictures and jokes. The artists on this project should also be commended because without them, the story would just be in your imagination. Each story has a unique art style, bringing the words to life.

So if you are a fan, and I imagine you are if you are reading this, hurry and download the book to your Kindle, Nook or download and read on your PC/Mac. (You can also order a hardcopy and re-read it later!)

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
on March 5, 2014
The stories in this book are quick and thoughtful and well-drawn. Interesting. The gem of the volume - the contents of which fits into the show's mythology - is Joshua Jackson's piece. It is a glowing testament to his ability to understand the character he portrayed and his skill in channeling and directing the creative energy of the writers from the show.
on May 30, 2013
When buying the DVD for Fringe season 4 I had the choice of getting it with or without the comic. I chose to buy the one with the comic. However, that one came with just the first story "Peter and the Machine" and the writing was extremely small. While I was able to read it I knew when some others of my family took their turn at borrowing the season would not be able to read the comic. That explains my reason for buying this comic for my kindle (not to mention the fact that I could not wait to read the "what if..." stories). Even though I thoroughly enjoyed the extra tales, while larger, the writing was still small making it hard for at least one family member to read (she said with reading glasses she might be able to read it). That is also with using the zoom: double tapping the panel to enlarge it. other that, this is definitely a must have for any and all Fringe fans
on March 1, 2013
Beyond The Fringe is a book about parallel stories to the actual stories of Fringe: the show. So this book is loaded with new adventures and misteries but with a new twist. It is interesting to think that JJ is taking part of this because make us believe more in the story, I don't know why, but is kind of magical.... totally recommended...
on September 5, 2013
Personally, I found this comic book completely brilliant. As a fan of Fringe and scifi in general, I can tell that it is the perfect combination of science, creativity and humor- which is the reason why I love Fringe in the first place. I like how the comic explored zones the tv show didn't have time to explain, or didn't make them clear.
I also would like to say that Joshua Jackson is a hell of a writer! It's pretty obvious that he's extremely talented but who would've known he writes THAT well? Beyond The Fringe is probably the best comic book I've read in my life, and if someday, someone decides to write another one, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it!
on August 6, 2014
Loved the first story describing what happened at the end of Season 3, although I'm not sure I understood the whole part about Dionysus. I know that he was called the twice born God because the fetus was taken from his mother's womb and implanted in Zeus, but I'm not sure what that had to do with Fringe. It did give us the origin of that Greek phrase, "be a better man than your father" though, so I suppose it was a cute tie in.
on February 24, 2013
Joshua's story and the illustrations are spot on fantastic. It would have gotten a 5 star, but some of the other stories are not as strong. In all this was a great gift for my husband (and myself). If you are a fan of the show it really offers some fun additions or alternative realities - very fun read.
on December 26, 2012
This comic is the best comic known to earth ever. I can't wait to see if they will make a new one of this book. This should be in a fringe episode called« What if». This book should help the Fringe TV SHOW to stay on TV. This is able to make people on my side about this whole review I hope it did but if it did not I will be sad. If you do like it please tell me if not then don't bother. If you watch Fringe the TV SHOW and you like this little talk then let me know and the person who wrote this is me Trinity. So I hoped you enjoyed this little talk.
on January 18, 2013
Loved this. Its a graphic novel, aka comic book, but its awesome. I love the show, and cant believe it ends tonight.