1,332 Reviews
 (1,096)

5.0 out of 5 stars One in a Million
Published on May 3, 2011 by Texas TV Fan

3.0 out of 5 stars alternate universe
Could have been done briefly and done well. To base an entire show around it is boring. Great actors and set.
Published 6 months ago by ldg92553

5.0 out of 5 stars One in a Million, May 3, 2011
This review is from: Fringe: Season 3 (DVD)
Fringe is simply the best show on TV right now. I'm an over-65 retired female, not exactly the demographic that a show like Fringe is playing to, but I like my shows complex, dramatic -- yes, even some sci-fi -- a little wacky, and a huge part intelligent writing and excellent acting. Abrams and his crew of talented writers and producers have done it again, Lost being another of a line of winning series (anyone missing Felicity would be well-advised to take a look at one woman's four years in college).

Fringe has continued to entertain, amuse, shock and totally take viewers on a roller coaster ride from one week to the next, and each season is better than the last. John Noble is so excellent as the absolutely diabolical but lovable mad scientist Walter that I can't for the life of me understand why Emmy Awards haven't been thrust at him every year. Anna Torv is that rare female actress who appeals equally to men and women, and quite possibly the only female lead on television who dresses appropriately for her job as an FBI agent. Her Olivia is a polished jewel, both beautiful and smart! Joshua Jackson was such a surprise to me because I didn't expect him to be up to the caliber of his castmates, but I was so wrong -- he is brilliant as the super-smart once bad boy Peter. The threesome is surrounded by interesting and quirky characters to fill out the ensemble, especially Lance Reddick as the head of the FBI's Fringe Division, and Jasika Nicole as the utterly delightful Agent and Walter-sitter Astrid, whose name he never seems to remember correctly but always speaks with adoring admiration.

If you haven't watched Fringe yet, I recommend watching it from the very beginning. There has been a long, enjoyable and steady build-up from the first episodes of Season 1 to where we are now at the end of Season 3, and I promise you will enjoy the ride!

5.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE WATCH FRINGE FRIDAYS, November 23, 2010
This review is from: Fringe: Season 3 (DVD)
Season 3 really just started and I hear now that Fox is moving Fringe to Friday nights starting in January. I had high hopes for a Seaon 4 or maybe even a Season 5 but I think that will depend oh how viewers respond to the move to Fridays. I am a fanatic for FRINGE and usually don't gush that much over a show (not since the first 2 seasons of LOST) but I would like to see this show go to it's potential conclusion and also deliver us some nice story within a story moments on the way. Catch up with FringePilot [HD] and know what I know....that FRINGE is the most overlooked and underappreciated show on network TV. Trust me.

A SIDE NOTE: I was truly amazed and excited to hear that the FRINGE fans helped save our beloved show when FOX announced the renewal even before Season 3 had concluded.

I know that this space should have a better review of Season 3 of Fringe. I was hopeful that enough of the die hard fans could use this page as a way to acknowledge the show and encourage as many folks to start viewing Fringe live on Fridays. I would ask that everyone read down the list for more in depth criticism of the show. I would be more biased to say that FRINGE is the only show worth my time and even more so, LIVE on a Friday night. Please watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just When You Think It Can't Get Any More Bizarre...., June 23, 2011
This review is from: Fringe: Season 3 (DVD)
The writers of FRINGE could never be accused of being like everyone else. If one is waiting for a predictable plot line with this bunch, forget it. I cannot say anything of this season's end other than I did not see this cliff hanger coming at all. And I am now waiting anxiously to see what happens in season 4 to resolve it. However, this show is having a viewing problem since it changed to Friday nights, i.e. it has lost viewers, so we might be stuck with incredible cliff hangers overall if the ratings don't increase. That would be a shame because this show is destined to be a big overall keeper for years to come, much like STAR TREK and the THE X-FILES.

Where this show has gone is to increasingly juxtaposition two worlds against one another. We have to look no further than old SUPERMAN comics to remember the idea that there is more than one universe, that there are alternate universes, with other versions of ourselves on similar paths but their choices cause significant diversions. A big part of this third season is that Peter romances the Olivia's of BOTH worlds. This is important because Peter is the pivot around which the two worlds swing since he was stolen from one world to live in the other.

Walter Bishop, Peter's father, is a complete creep in one world as its leader and an eccentric, lovable genius in the other. The latter role remains my favorite in the whole show. This is where the humor in the show comes in which is much needed as comic relief.

If you haven't watched FRINGE yet, I recommend you watch it straight through on DVD or streaming, the three full seasons in order. This series will be almost impossible to watch out of order as the central story line advances in strict linear fashion. Each series also ends with an incredible cliff hanger which will also work against your seeing it out of order.

Visit my blog with link given on my profile page here or use this phonetically given URL (livingasseniors dot blogspot dot com). Friday's entry will always be weekend entertainment recs from my 5 star Amazon reviews in film, tv, books and music. These are very heavy on buried treasures and hidden gems. My blogspot is published on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.

5.0 out of 5 stars please watch, November 21, 2010
This review is from: Fringe: Season 3 (DVD)
im just going to throw my review out there-a review of the show so far and not of the product(box set)-i think that this is the greates show i have ever seen. all charcters has powerful performances behind them, and every character is loveable.
i did not start watching this as my lost subsititute. this is my LOST because in my mind fringe is way better than lost.
i have enjoyed every episode of this wonderful show (minus the glee spinoff) and cant wait for it every week, there is only one thing i am sad about though.

Thats the fact that this very well may be the last season. i really wish it wasnt, but i have a strong feeling that season 4 will never come. it makes me so sad that so many people wont give this show a shot, it really needs more viewers than its already got.
please watch fringe because this is possibly the greatest show ever created. it needs awards, and more advertising. but sadly it doesnt get that because FOX is full of morons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent Show, September 12, 2011
I got into Fringe halfway through the first season and since then I have been hooked. I've read some great reviews and don't intend to write the same things that others have so I'll just explain why this show is so appealing to me. I rarely watch tv anymore because everything is so predictable. Most shows have a crime that needs to be solved and within the next 30-45 minutes it is solved. Wash, rinse, repeat. Fringe is a new kind of show that has some of the best writing and story elements of any show out there. It's fun to go back to the first season and find all the things you miss the first time around. Some episodes are great as a stand alone story but most of the episodes move the story forward inch by inch. Just when you think you have the answer, they change the question. The characters are very likable. Fringe is the only show that I feel as if by watching it I actually get smarter. Brilliant show! The Blu-ray looks great and has enough extras to keep the disk in your Blu-ray player after all the episodes are done. If you're reading this you are most likely a fan of Fringe already as it has a very loyal fan base. I hope that enough people watch the next season. This is a show that should end on its own, not by the "Observers" at Fox.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great programming, November 21, 2010
This review is from: Fringe: Season 3 (DVD)
I'm really surprised that the show does not have a larger following. It is definitely at the top of my listing for television programs to watch. Its very original in its content and has a great cast of characters played by a talented group of actors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Closest to real scientific theory, February 28, 2011
This review is from: Fringe: Season 3 (DVD)
My husband and I have been discussing String Theory for years. I was a bit apprehensive when I saw the previews for Fringe as I was concerned that it would be "hokey"....Although there are times when it is too far reaching, they do keep to the traditional concepts of the latest scientific theories in regards to time travel (research into black holes). If you sit back and enjoy the deadpan humor and take it for what it is: A well thought out, highly intelligent, well acted 60 minutes, then you have not wasted your time. Kudos to Fringe for moving into the area where many could not.

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT LOST! Fringe learns Lost lessons., November 11, 2010
This review is from: Fringe: Season 3 (DVD)
The good thing about fringe is.... it's not Lost, it does not lead you somewhere and then let you down... they talk about the other side, and then go there, they show both sides of things as "real people" although I would like personally the over there to be a bit more villainous, they do take their time on reveals like is Peter from over there.. yes it took them awhile after the viewers knew it to reveal it to the characters. Same with Alt-Olivia we know she is from over there but it takes awhile to show that to the people that count. The show had lost it's momentum in the second season with the creature episodes but found a home with mythology heavy shows and has kept it up... Good job Adams for not killing fringe like Lost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than iTunes it seems..., January 1, 2011
Unlike "Neal - the Gadget Guy" my experience with Amazon VOD and iTunes was different. I downloaded the Olivia HD episode from both services to compare quality and was a little surprised. First, I should mention that I used a Windows XP HTPC to download the files, I did not stream. The size of the video files: the VOD was around 1.9GB while the iTunes version was 1.4GB. The Amazon VOD picture quality was superior on my system with better color, contrast and deeper blacks, the iTunes version appeared somewhat washed out in comparison. This could have been a one-off experience so I'm not sure if this is a fair comparison. But I do know one thing the iTunes version which plays on Quicktime was a bad experience! It stuttered frequently and the picture would freeze for several seconds before resuming. I Googled around the internet looking for a solution to the iTunes video problem and found that it is a fairly common one. The most consistent solution offered was to upgrade your computer hardware, in Apple's fine print: "2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor is required to play HD video". I guess my machine is fine for playing standard definition iTunes videos but not HD. Meanwhile the HD Amazon VOD played flawlessly in the Unbox Video Player which is a tailored Windows Media Player 11 along with Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. I could not play either file on third party players (VLC, GOM, etc.) because of the imbedded Digital Rights Management (DRM) copy protection. YMMV.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST SHOW EVER!!!!!!!!!!, September 13, 2011
MeghanMarie (Orange, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fringe: Season 3 (DVD)
Wow. I have been watching Fringe since season 1 and have boughten all of them and will do so for season 4 as well. ( and hopefully the show will continue on to a 5th and 6th season!) Fringe is THE MOST creative, fascinating, and well made show EVER. I honestly would like anyone who HAS SEEN the show (it can't just be somebody who has watched one episode and thinks they can judge the show) and thinks there is a better sci-fi episodic tv show to let me know because I will watch it and give it a good fair chance if this person still thinks it is better than Fringe. I doubt any show is better though. Fringe is the perfect blend of real science and technology with riveting fiction that captures the viewers attention and leaves them hooked, wanting to watch the next episode, and then the next. J. J. Abrams, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, the creators of Fringe, put more work and detail into this show than any other show I've seen. First of all, they have the observer walking in the background of various scenes, sometimes even so small or for so quick an instant that you have to press pause on your remote to spot him. The creators also slip in almost unnoticeable clues that relate to the current or future episodes, like a number on a license plate of a random person or a word on a coffee mug that an agent is drinking out of. The observers and these clues blend into the show as if they were just chosen randomly for background purposes or props but in reality everything is so carefully thought out. It makes one really appreciate the work that is being put into the show. All the small details that many people who watch the show probably don't pick up on or notice at all and never will. There are so many easter eggs (that's what fan sites call the clues) in each episode that I probably have missed a few things myself. It just shows you how much the creators care about the show, that they are willing to think of small fun details, even when there is a good chance most people won't even see them. They also have Fringe glyphs before each commercial break (you can find a translator for these glyphs on the internet) and each glyph stands for a letter. And by the end of the episode, you have a word that relates to the show or the current episode or again a clue for the next one. None of these little extras are crucial to your understanding of the show, they are just exciting freebies that help the viewer feel more involved in the show and it creates kind of a personal interest in the plot. Season 3 is definitely my favorite season of the series. It is by far the most suspenseful and exciting set of episodes so far, in my opinion. But actually this is all in my opinion haha:)
p.s. a really good website for it you want to follow along with all the Fringe easter eggs and just general fringy talk is [...]

Fringe: Season 3
Fringe: Season 3 by Anna Torv (DVD - 2011)
$34.96 $15.15