2,028 Reviews
 (1,625)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Satisfying Ending to a Fantastic Show...
"Fringe" enthralled me from the first. Its alternate universe structure, its forays into the future, its "pattern" of impossible-yet-real cases - all these could have easily become unwieldy, opaque, or - even more dangerous for a TV show - complete gibberish to the viewer. And yet, these negative outcomes never happened. We always knew where we were. A...
Published 22 months ago by Jait

3.0 out of 5 stars What Happened to the "Fringe" of a few seasons back?
I've never been one to get hooked on sci-fi and fantasy but there was something about Fringe that got me hooked on the show. I couldn't wait to see what kind of anomaly they would investigate next. I eagerly awaited each new season. When they introduced the alternate world, I didn't really like that they were spending so much time on it but i still enjoyed watching the...
Published on November 14, 2012 by Kathy_in_NEO

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Fringe's best season, March 1, 2013
Joseph "jchauncey" (Austin, Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
I know I'll be blasted by other big Fringe fans, as I have learned that there is hate mongering going on in Amazon's review blogs if you don't rate something exactly as THEY want it, but I although I am a H-U-G-E fan of Fringe, I could not give this SEASON 5 all five stars. Basically, I didn't think that it was as strong as any of the other seasons. It was more like a poorly written episode that was stretched to complete an entire season... as is evident by them having to find 7 videos buried all in the same place, but nearly foiled at every turn by the observers and their miracle like way of moving around, and yet they still drove to different places.
The writers "revealed" new things about the Observers that never appeared before, and really didn't make a whole lot of sense. So I was constantly having to suspend my disbelief.
For example, the Observers self-contained teleportation ability. But up until now we were led to believe that this way they had appeared was because they arrived from their time to ours. Now they can teleport now at-will, anywhere they want, whenever they want. So, why get in a car to chase the heroes? Also, they have all their abilities because of a small device in the base of the brain? I thought they had evolved. But if you take this out, they become "human" again?
I still gave it four stars since I really like most everything other about the show, but this is not their best season.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dystopian Goodness, December 11, 2012
The way Fringe has managed to evolve and stay fresh over the years has seriously impressed me.

With the current season branching out much further into the sci-fi universe and away from reality, some viewers might find themselves alienated from the original feel of Fringe and it's abnormal events in a normal universe - but not me.

The Orwellian overtones of the new season added extra touches of intrigue and mystery, challenging the characters once again to think outside the box for new solutions to an even greater problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back and Looking Better Than Ever, September 30, 2012
2036, resistance is futile.... The first episode of of season 5 is proof positive of why this is one of the best shows in the last 10 years. I watch about 4 shows regularly but none have me on the edge of my seat like this one. Fringe never gets stale or boring always fresh, interesting, and especially those tripped out 19th episodes of each season. I hope the series does good enough to get a 6th season or maybe a alternate universe spin off.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you liked Seasons 1-4 of Fringe, skip Season 5., August 21, 2014
If you liked Seasons 1-4 of Fringe, skip Season 5. It's a waste of your time.
The focus of the final season is different; it's supposed to emphasize the emotional capacities of the normal humans versus the cold nature of the Observers, but it goes absurdly over-the-top. Minutes at a time are spent watching Peter gaze emotionally at Olivia, Olivia gaze emotionally at Peter, Peter and Olivia gaze emotionally at their daughter Etta, Peter muse in solitude about his daughter Etta, Olivia muse in solitude about her daughter Etta, Walter gaze emotionally at his beloved son Peter, Peter gaze ..... oh, I could go on forever, and this final season of Fringe seems to. The characters are so busy emoting at each other, it's amazing and implausible that the Observers never quite catch up with them. Of course many people like this sort of thing, but they mostly watch soaps, not sci fi.

3.0 out of 5 stars Knocked Down A Peg, But Still Intriguing Until The End, January 22, 2013
For three seasons, "Fringe" was a sci-fi masterpiece worthy of any other other ever created in that genre. Then, the network (in this case FOX) decided to cast it off to the "fringes" (pun intended) of their schedule, burying it on Friday nights and make the show creators sweat out renewal, severely affecting plot cohesiveness. So, by the time this final truncated season got the O.K., it was clear that the show would never truly recapture the magic of earlier installments. That being said, the show producers still managed to create a workable ending to such a high-concept show. It just wasn't in the jaw-dropping format of the past.

For a basic plot summary of the Fifth Season, this campaign sees the show shift into the future, where Peter (Joshua Jackson), Olivia (Anna Torv), and Walter (John Noble) are pulled out of yellow amber by none other than Peter & Olivia's daughter, Etta (Georgina Haig). They discover a world in havoc and terror, caused by an Observer takeover. However, Walter has a plan to set things right, requiring a number of different "ingredients" (compromising the bulk of the season's episodes) and help from old friends Astrid (Jasika Nicole), Nina Sharp (Blair Brown), and Agent Broyles (Lance Reddick).

The obvious problem with this season is that because of FOX's tampering, the show oozed away all its most creative juices in a rollercoaster season four. Without knowing whether or not a final renewal was imminent, the writers were practically held hostage, story-arc wise. So, by the time word finally came down that a 13-episode send-off was a go, things had to be severely simplified. Thus, a show that once dealt with some hefty, mind-bending topics was reduced to "rebels vs Observers" in terms of the main plotline. In essence, it failed to distinguish itself from other general sci-fi fare currently on the airwaves.

Yet, despite that glaring weakness, the Fifth Season still holds some meaning in the Fringe cannon for one main reason: the characters. When all the lofty storytelling and mind-bending plots fall away, the strong characters that comprise this show still stand strong. You'll keep watching because you want to see how they all end up.

Simply put, the Fifth Season of "Fringe" is clearly in a different class (unfortunately a lower class) than the first three or maybe even four seasons of the show. It is still interesting to watch because, at least for sci-fi "big idea" show fans right now, the pickings are extremely slim. It just isn't the "glory days" of old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced..., April 4, 2013
Season 5 (the final season) moved at a rapid pace. They had to move a little more quickly than they had hoped, I believe, but the producers/directors/actors did a fine job moving the series along in a believable manner.

This was a good science fiction series that even if you tried to get into Lost and failed, I think you might like this. It has a feeling similar to the X-Files but maybe a little darker at times like Millennium but gives you the feeling like you are in on "the secret" the entire time. Kind of cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars so sad it's over, March 25, 2014
A. Baldwin "Tony" (New Haven, CT United States) - See all my reviews
I feel like Walter, Peter, Astrid and Olivia, Philip, Nina, etc., have all become a part of my life, and now that I've watched the last season and it's all over, there is this void in my life...
I might just have to watch all 5 seasons again.
And again.
This series is excellent. Playing characters in two different universes displayed many of the actors excellent versatility (Ann Torv, playing the two Olivias AND at times William Bell, and, Jasika Nicole as the two Astrids, for instance, John "Denethor" Noble as Walter and Walternate). These characters, despite the absolutely insane and seemingly impossible world in which they operated, came very much alive for me. The actors made them real and believable characters.
The plots/investigations showed immense creativity and originality.
This is some of the best TV I've ever watched.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best show ever! Wish this show would come back. It is great!, March 23, 2014
Watched all five seasons twice and still can't get enough! The actors are amazing! It is action, comedy, and Sci-fi all in one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just didn't satisfy..., November 19, 2013
Once again, JJ Abrams demonstrates his inability to wrap up a series in any sort of satisfying way. Just as in the final season of Lost, he takes a hard right turn which proves to be completely unnecessary. When will he learn that all viewers want from a final season is to have their questions answered?

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, July 19, 2013
After watching seasons 1-4 obsessively, straight through on Netflix, I paused for a brief moment to think I would be able to wait for the last season to be released on Netflix. About a day before i was at the end of season 4, I had given up any hope of being able to wait for the release.
Believe me when I say Season 5 was an amazing ending to a great series. This is the only review I have ever done, the only that honestly I consider worth my time, as there are plenty of people to review other things.
So, to sum it up, don't hesitate for a minute thinking about it, you won't be sorry..

Fringe: Season 5 [Blu-ray]
Fringe: Season 5 [Blu-ray] by J.H. Wyman (Blu-ray - 2013)
$39.96 $23.70