Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on August 26, 2013
I remember when this show began in 2008. It looked mildly interesting, but with one thing and another, I never got around to watching it, till this summer, when I went over to my sister's apartment. She and her boyfriend had it on DVD, so she asked if I wanted to watch some of it and thought sure, why not. We watched the first episode and I found it incredibly derivative, but she offered to lend me the first season and I didn't want to be rude, so I accepted. Over the course of the week, I watched it, more out of boredom than anything... then something strange happened. About halfway through season one, I found myself looking forward to each episode. I watched the first season in six days. I then borrowed the other seasons from my sister, and watched the rest of the show in ten days. That's right, I watched a five season, 100-episode show in 16 days, a personal record.

The first half of the first season was rather slow and a ripoff of many such shows that came before, but after that the show dove into its own mythology and really became its own animal, and an awesome one at that. The mythology is fascinating, and the writers manage to make the alternate universes and different timelines original. The characters, which at the beginning were cardboard cutouts of the mad scientist, the stoic cop/agent and the sarcastic Han Solo type, became beautiful subversions of those types of characters, and the actors, especially Anna Torv as the lead, Olivia, improved drastically over the course of the show, to the point where I was very invested in the characters and their various love stories. Needless to say, my attachment to the characters made season five an emotional roller coaster ride. Seasons three and two were the best, in my opinion, but all the seasons were good (except, as noted, the shaky first half of season one).

This show is my new obsession. I'm actually glad I didn't watch it till it had ended because then I got to watch the whole thing in a nearly-uninterrupted, highly-caffeinated nerd marathon. I just received my Associate of Arts degree, so I splurged and got this (and the Collide album "Chasing the Ghost") as a little present from myself, to myself. Oh, me, you know me so well!

Here's how I rate each season:
One: 4/5 stars
Two: 5/5 stars
Three: 5/5 stars (my favorite!)
Four: 4.5/5 stars
Five: 4/5 stars

Overall, I give the show 4.5 stars. If you, like me, never got around to watching it while it was on, do yourself a favor and check it out now! You will not be disappointed.
22 comments|114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2013
I came into the middle of the series one time and really liked it. But because of my hectic and busy life, I failed to keep up with the series. Then when my life finally settled down a bit, I cam across the series on Netflix and watched it up until I decided, it was high time to purchase the box set. This is one that will go right next to my Star-gate SG1 box set as well as my Star Trek series.
Watching the series on Blu-Ray was spectacular. The show really pulls together a very interesting perspective of the human psyche. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters and the story line, it really put me in the "What's going to happen next!!" mood. And thus ended up watching it nearly 23 hours in one sitting. Definitely a keeper and will most like pull it out and watch it again!

Thanks for providing this.

Denver Dave
on May 19, 2013
I didn't get into this show until after the final season. I wish I'd known sooner how good it was. Not all of my questions were answered, but it's shocking, funny, and overall entertaining. Fringe is not only possibly the best sci-fi show I've seen, it's also a great drama.
11 comment|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2014
For those wondering: the US and Region Free (UK) versions of Fringe: The Complete Series are virtually identical. The only significant difference is the UK version's small red circle on the case, indicating the show's rating, and the lower price point.

While not shown in the product description, it does in fact include all the special features listed in the US version. This ranges from Behind the Scenes looks at individual episodes, as well as Gag Reels. All of these help to add a deeper level of enjoyment to the show, by seeing the pride and care (and fun) the people making this show put into the work they did.

Cast interviews are (almost) always insightful, and the ones featured here are phenomenal. We learn what each of the actors brought to the table, and how they interpreted the history of their characters into their personality (or personalities, in some cases).

The show itself is a creature unlike any other: weaving together a fantastical tale of mad scientists, parallel universes, monsters and mayhem; while grounding it all in a plausible reality with character-driven stories that resonate on an emotional level in a way few other shows tend to.

As stated above, the acting is top notch and only improves as the cast expands their roles throughout the series' run. You will miss these people once you've reached that final disc.

If you love Fringe, this is a no-brainer. The entire series will be at your fingertips, each episode shines with the HD 1080p format, and the sound quality is top-notch.

If you're just getting into Fringe, well...

Heck, I say go for it. But, then, I was hooked from day one.
33 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2013
I hate most tv shows and it's very rare that I come across one that even catches my interest, not only does Fringe catch my interest I LOVE IT!! J.J Abrams has impressed me yet again!

I wish Fringe lasted longer than 5 seasons though, Fringe caught my eye on Netflix and I've been religiously watching it every day.
on April 23, 2013
If everything needs to be perfect to the detail, this series is not for you. If you can set a few qualms aside and just go with the flow, you're going to love the ride that Fringe takes you on. Fringe is a completely character driven story. You will learn to love the characters and the relationships they create and eventually re-create with eachother. There are a lot of things that I'm still confused about from the show which is why I'm looking forward to watching it through again. The first 3 seasons get five stars. Everyone always thought the show would be cancelled, but it kept coming back (even to the creators surprise)which may have thrown the story through some unexpected loops resulting in the last 2 seasons not being as good, but still enjoyable... to me anyway.
on February 22, 2014
I took a bet on this show and never really heard of it and now I'm hooked! It's such an amazing story line so far I'm on season 4.. It's one of those shows you don't want to end!
on September 19, 2013
Fringe is undoubtedly one of the few SF TV series that is NOT made as an SF series. Based on scientifically plausible, but not yet possible, phenomena described as "fringe science", the series is a very interesting take on the question "What if all of the esoteric scientific theories of today came true tomorrow?" I will not give away any plot spoilers because, well, you have to see it..
The main cast is amazing. Anna Torv, Joshua Jackson, John Noble inhabit their characters as second skin. They are supported by an able supporting cast, with delightful cameos by well-known actors as bit parts in episodes. The direction and music are top-notch!!
on April 11, 2015
If you are a fan of the 'Fringe' series owning this Blu-ray set is the best way to enjoy it. As much as I appreciate Amazon for allowing me to watch the show via my 'Prime' service free of charge, too often the quality of the image coming from my high-speed internet hook-up was in the realm of 720p and sometimes not even that good. Perhaps others have better luck with their downloading, but as good as that might be this Blu-ray set remains the best way to watch this series, in my opinion.

With the improved imagery viewing the show for the second time on Blu-ray I picked up images that were missed from the Amazon download. The appearance of the 'observers' ( bald guys from the future ) is more apparent as they are seen exiting or entering scenes much like a walk-on cameo in movies. They move off the camera sometimes with a glance and a smirk. Other things are noticed: In season one about episode 15(?) a black van is used to transport something and when the door opens to expose the license plate it says '1R2D21'. Another: around episode 13 of the first season Olivia needs to clear her throat for some reason and her voice changed just for a few seconds into the same voice she uses when Bells 'soul
magnets' take her over in a later episode. Only because the Blu-ray sound is so clear and clean would you catch this little "Easter egg' type plant.

There are more instances like this but you get the drift: The writers, actors and directors were not above having some fun with this very successful series. Good writing, excellent production values and actors who never appear tired or vexed is the key to this being the quality show that it is. There's action, romance, humor in abundance and insights into scientific assertions and mechanics that, although mostly fantasy, pique one's interest. These elements make the show so entertaining that it stands up to viewing again and again.

Bottom line: If you think the show is good after watching it via download from Amazon, the quality of the improved image and sound through Blu-ray makes the viewing, as Walter would say, 'a quantum leap better. Now get me some cotton candy: blue, not the pink'. Highly recommended.
on April 28, 2015
IMHO, Fringe is simply the finest science fiction series ever produced for television. And it's real science fiction with big heady concepts --- not space opera. Once the show found its feet, I was staggered by the consistently high quality of the show's writing. The writers somehow managed to juggle three separate (but related) universes without being confusing and without ever condescending to its audience.

If you're just looking for mindlessly entertaining turn-off-your-brain pap, then Fringe is not for you. But if you want a show with challenging concepts, deeply intricate characters and spellbinding, resonating adult storytelling, then look no further.