4.0 out of 5 stars Graduation Present from Me to Me
Published 15 months ago by Emma Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Great then a sad disappointment.
Series was great for the first three seasons. Although the acting remained consistently outstanding, the plots seriously deteriorate by season four and season five leaves a great deal to be desired. It is as though the producers and writers simply don't care to follow through with the same diligence and integrity that is evident in the first three seasons. It is...
Published 4 months ago by Lord Richard Mannyng

4.0 out of 5 stars Graduation Present from Me to Me, August 26, 2013
Emma Richards (Olympia, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fringe: The Complete Series (DVD)
I remember when this show began in 2008. It looked mildly interesting, but with one thing and another, I never got around to watching it, till this summer, when I went over to my sister's apartment. She and her boyfriend had it on DVD, so she asked if I wanted to watch some of it and thought sure, why not. We watched the first episode and I found it incredibly derivative, but she offered to lend me the first season and I didn't want to be rude, so I accepted. Over the course of the week, I watched it, more out of boredom than anything... then something strange happened. About halfway through season one, I found myself looking forward to each episode. I watched the first season in six days. I then borrowed the other seasons from my sister, and watched the rest of the show in ten days. That's right, I watched a five season, 100-episode show in 16 days, a personal record.

The first half of the first season was rather slow and a ripoff of many such shows that came before, but after that the show dove into its own mythology and really became its own animal, and an awesome one at that. The mythology is fascinating, and the writers manage to make the alternate universes and different timelines original. The characters, which at the beginning were cardboard cutouts of the mad scientist, the stoic cop/agent and the sarcastic Han Solo type, became beautiful subversions of those types of characters, and the actors, especially Anna Torv as the lead, Olivia, improved drastically over the course of the show, to the point where I was very invested in the characters and their various love stories. Needless to say, my attachment to the characters made season five an emotional roller coaster ride. Seasons three and two were the best, in my opinion, but all the seasons were good (except, as noted, the shaky first half of season one).

This show is my new obsession. I'm actually glad I didn't watch it till it had ended because then I got to watch the whole thing in a nearly-uninterrupted, highly-caffeinated nerd marathon. I just received my Associate of Arts degree, so I splurged and got this (and the Collide album "Chasing the Ghost") as a little present from myself, to myself. Oh, me, you know me so well!

Here's how I rate each season:
One: 4/5 stars
Two: 5/5 stars
Three: 5/5 stars (my favorite!)
Four: 4.5/5 stars
Five: 4/5 stars

Overall, I give the show 4.5 stars. If you, like me, never got around to watching it while it was on, do yourself a favor and check it out now! You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd Known Sooner, May 19, 2013
This review is from: Fringe: The Complete Series (DVD)
I didn't get into this show until after the final season. I wish I'd known sooner how good it was. Not all of my questions were answered, but it's shocking, funny, and overall entertaining. Fringe is not only possibly the best sci-fi show I've seen, it's also a great drama.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Fringe Benefits", July 20, 2013
This review is from: Fringe: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I came into the middle of the series one time and really liked it. But because of my hectic and busy life, I failed to keep up with the series. Then when my life finally settled down a bit, I cam across the series on Netflix and watched it up until I decided, it was high time to purchase the box set. This is one that will go right next to my Star-gate SG1 box set as well as my Star Trek series.
Watching the series on Blu-Ray was spectacular. The show really pulls together a very interesting perspective of the human psyche. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters and the story line, it really put me in the "What's going to happen next!!" mood. And thus ended up watching it nearly 23 hours in one sitting. Definitely a keeper and will most like pull it out and watch it again!

Thanks for providing this.

Denver Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tv show in recent memory, April 15, 2013
Blake Hulbert (Daytona Beach, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fringe: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I hate most tv shows and it's very rare that I come across one that even catches my interest, not only does Fringe catch my interest I LOVE IT!! J.J Abrams has impressed me yet again!

I wish Fringe lasted longer than 5 seasons though, Fringe caught my eye on Netflix and I've been religiously watching it every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this, and prepare for a Fringe Binge, March 25, 2014
Michael D. Young "Mad Mikey Y." (Amsterdam, NY United States) - See all my reviews
For those wondering: the US and Region Free (UK) versions of Fringe: The Complete Series are virtually identical. The only significant difference is the UK version's small red circle on the case, indicating the show's rating, and the lower price point.

While not shown in the product description, it does in fact include all the special features listed in the US version. This ranges from Behind the Scenes looks at individual episodes, as well as Gag Reels. All of these help to add a deeper level of enjoyment to the show, by seeing the pride and care (and fun) the people making this show put into the work they did.

Cast interviews are (almost) always insightful, and the ones featured here are phenomenal. We learn what each of the actors brought to the table, and how they interpreted the history of their characters into their personality (or personalities, in some cases).

The show itself is a creature unlike any other: weaving together a fantastical tale of mad scientists, parallel universes, monsters and mayhem; while grounding it all in a plausible reality with character-driven stories that resonate on an emotional level in a way few other shows tend to.

As stated above, the acting is top notch and only improves as the cast expands their roles throughout the series' run. You will miss these people once you've reached that final disc.

If you love Fringe, this is a no-brainer. The entire series will be at your fingertips, each episode shines with the HD 1080p format, and the sound quality is top-notch.

If you're just getting into Fringe, well...

Heck, I say go for it. But, then, I was hooked from day one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Raise your suspension for disbelief and enjoy!, April 23, 2013
This review is from: Fringe: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
If everything needs to be perfect to the detail, this series is not for you. If you can set a few qualms aside and just go with the flow, you're going to love the ride that Fringe takes you on. Fringe is a completely character driven story. You will learn to love the characters and the relationships they create and eventually re-create with eachother. There are a lot of things that I'm still confused about from the show which is why I'm looking forward to watching it through again. The first 3 seasons get five stars. Everyone always thought the show would be cancelled, but it kept coming back (even to the creators surprise)which may have thrown the story through some unexpected loops resulting in the last 2 seasons not being as good, but still enjoyable... to me anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing show!, February 22, 2014
I took a bet on this show and never really heard of it and now I'm hooked! It's such an amazing story line so far I'm on season 4.. It's one of those shows you don't want to end!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this show from the bottom of my heart, March 7, 2013
This review is from: Fringe: The Complete Series (DVD)
Even though I'm only 16 and started watching this show when I was 11 or 12, it has stuck with me. I just finished the series finale and I bawled my eyes out. Literally, I could not stop crying. If I was one of the actors on Fringe, I would have started crying in the middle of shooting the last episode. I love this show, and when it comes out....I will own it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind blowing!! Storytelling at its best..., September 19, 2013
Pushpak (Redmond, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fringe: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Fringe is undoubtedly one of the few SF TV series that is NOT made as an SF series. Based on scientifically plausible, but not yet possible, phenomena described as "fringe science", the series is a very interesting take on the question "What if all of the esoteric scientific theories of today came true tomorrow?" I will not give away any plot spoilers because, well, you have to see it..
The main cast is amazing. Anna Torv, Joshua Jackson, John Noble inhabit their characters as second skin. They are supported by an able supporting cast, with delightful cameos by well-known actors as bit parts in episodes. The direction and music are top-notch!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Series, January 4, 2014
Sam G "sam-80" (The Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fringe: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Fringe is one of the best TV series out there. I'm not going to write a review on the series, you should just watch it.

What I am going to mention is the horrible set up on the DVD. That gets one star.
Season 1 discs - you cannot access the menu, it does not come up at the beginning. You have to skip through all the chapters to get there. When you do get to the menu, everything is written so small, even on a 55inch TV it is hard to read. Season 2 is a little better the menu comes up at the beginning but the writing on the extras is still very small. Special features aren't where the brochure says they are. It's set up very poorly.

Considering that this is the boxed set, it would have been nice if they fixed some of the defects on earlier seasons and upgraded the menus to make them equal to Season 5.

Fringe: The Complete Series [Blu-ray]
Fringe: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] by Various (Blu-ray - 2013)
$169.99 $67.32