Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation

on December 29, 2014
Written in the style of a journal, Frogmen is as much as coming of age story as it is a narrative of the author's travels with Jacques Cousteau. Interestingly, Cousteau is not a central character in the book, but this doesn't take away from the story in the slightest.
on April 24, 2013
Self-publishing allows just about anyone to get into print. In this case, that's a good thing. Richard Hyman's journals combine the celebrity of Captain Cousteau and a few other bold-face names, with the thoughts and dreams of a surprisingly sentient young man. I once worked with Richard Hyman, so, for me personally, the book is worth five stars, because I can relate the young man's journal to the adult I know. I'm only listing it with four stars, because most people won't be able to make that connection.

Suggestion: If you buy the black and white print version of the book, spring for the Kindle version so you can see the photographs in color. (If money is no object, buy the color print version.)
on September 23, 2012
Easy to read - single sitting - and enjoyable reflections of the author's unique experience to have been one of the very few to live life aboard the calypso with JYC and crew. The author does a very good job of transporting us to that date and Time so we can visualize and sense what It was like.
on December 19, 2013
Frogman is an excellent and captivating diary of a young man seizing an opportunity to do great things. I thoroughly enjoyed being drawn into the day to day functions of a research vessel Captained by Jacques Cousteau, the foremost leader in Oceanographic research. I highly recommend this book. It is an excellent read from the perspective of a young man about to enter college and taking on the opportunity of a life time. The book inspires us all to take chances and seize opportunities to make a difference in the world.
on March 4, 2016
An exceptional book by Richard. He included the smallest of details in his adventures on the Calypso and as an avid reader, that is one of the appealing things as I read his story. Felt like I was right there with him.
on February 21, 2013
Yes, Jacques Cousteau was my idol when I was a kid. It sure looked glamorous on TV. This first hand story of an excited young man getting the opportunity to participate is a dream many of us can attest to having. This story is exciting to read, and you feel the excitement as well as the grind of reality behind the scenes - definitely worth the read.
on June 22, 2011
I loved Frogmen and recommend it highly. The journal format made me feel part of the adventure world of Calypso. An extraordinary experience well told!
on June 24, 2011
A compelling and well documented first hand account of life on board the Calypso...a must read for anyone interested in Cousteau and his legacy!
on October 4, 2013
Imagine being the 20 year old Dick Hyman, donning your wetsuit, preparing for a dive with the famous Coll, Falco and Delemotte... then hanging around Calypso's wardroom, having a chat with the red capped Captain himself....
on January 17, 2014
If you want to know what life on the Calypso was like in the 1970s, read this book. Written in a journal format.